Do the graphics make the music seem less fun?

BeaversBeavers Opening Act
edited July 2013 in Rock Band
For a few days, I've been wondering to myself. I always thought the Rock Band games overall lacked fun songs that Guitar Hero (Especially World Tour) had. But... Rock Band 1 had Here It Goes Again, Ballroom Blitz, Electric Version, and a few other fun songs too. There were other things like I felt Rock Band had too much mainstream and generic rock in it compared to Guitar Hero which had more indie music and overall more flavorful songs. ...But...

I also noticed another thing. Rock Band 1 has a few songs from Guitar Hero 3 (As I mentioned in another topic) like...

Mississippi Queen
Sabotage
When You Were Young
Reptilia
Paranoid
Cherub Rock

and you could download...
3's and 7's
Number Of The Beast
Hier Kommt Alex

and a few other songs.

Rock Band 2 also had a lot of songs that were in World Tour. Rock Band 3 also has some world tour songs too...

Misery Business
One Armed Scissor
Hey Man, Nice Shot!

I always thought it was Rock Band taking a lot of the worse music from Guitar Hero (Besides anything done by Tool) but now I wonder... what if it's just in my head.

A lot of the songs seemed more fun when I played them in Guitar Hero. Ramblin' Man and Go Your Own Way were two of my favorites in World Tour but they seem a little less fun in Rock Band, despite the fact that Guitar Hero's note charts were completely inferior in the fun department. As well, I liked the song One Armed Scissor when playing it in Guitar Hero, but it seemed less fun in Rock Band, even with a better note chart. (However, I did NOT like playing Lazy Eye or Hey Man, Nice Shot! in either game). And deep down, I'm starting to wonder if it doesn't have to do with the graphics creating an illusion that the songs are more drab.

The visuals in Guitar Hero are fluid, relatively colorful, not super sunshine and rainbows colorful but still pretty bright. The characters were also somewhat cartoony, which I like. The visuals in Rock Band, however, are dark and choppy, plus a bit more realistic. Personally, I'm not a big fan of dark/choppy/realistic, and some of the stages were so dark you couldn't even see anything. As well some of the stages that DID have color were over-saturated with it, like the same color was plastered in bright flashing lights all over the stage.

I do not deny that Rock Band is an overall more fun series than Guitar Hero, but I wonder if the dark visuals kind of make the music seem more generic or what.

Comments

• BeaversBeavers Opening Act
    edited July 2013
    Mega-Tallica;5026216 said:
    I actually feel the complete opposite, I've always felt RB was much more diverse setlist-wise compared to Guitar Hero. GH was always a bit rock/metal heavy, which I like, but the diversity of RB is what kept me playing it more (and the introduction of the RBN really helped). RB offered more to everybody, no matter what music tastes they may have.

Also, GH seems to make charts more difficult than what they are, RB tended to chart songs more realistically IMO. To many people, the harder the song = the funner it is, so they prefer GH charts, everybody else prefers RB. GH also tended to overchart a lot of songs which goes hand-in-hand with what I said just before. There are exceptions (obviously), but it all depends on what type of player you are.

Man, is it depressing referring to both these games in the past-tense now. :(

I felt GH offered more high-speed heavy metal, and over all more faster-paced songs, which are the kind of songs I like, while RB has more slower-paced songs and songs that sound old-fashioned, overly dark, or just plain generic and boring. Again, it might just be the darker visuals.

That is the one reason I cannot truly say I like GH more than RB, because of the over-killed note-charts. I can barely play Hard on any songs in GH, but I can play Hard on most songs in RB.
  • WittikissWittikiss Road Warrior
    edited July 2013
    I don't remember much of Guitar Hero Venues except copious amounts of adverts for KFC. I also got annoyed that the sound quality was much worse in GH than in Rock Band. So in terms of quality in music and not wanting to barf thinking of KFCs and strippers combined, I chose Rock Band.
  • twindadplus2twindadplus2 Unsigned
    edited July 2013
    I have to side with the majority here. I tried GH briefly but hated the cartoony graphics. Rockband seemed to have the more diverse range of songs too so I pretty much never looked back once I tried RB.
    edited July 2013
    Am I really the only one who strongly dislikes dark "realistic" graphics? Also, no one else was bothered by the RB game's choppy frame-rate?

Also, again I felt GH had more of the good stuff. While RB had "More variety" it had more slow, tepid songs and less fast-paced exciting songs in it. ...Again, it might have just been the graphics.

Also, the graphics in GH aren't even that cartoony. Are they really THAT bad?
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited July 2013
    I'm also with the majority. When HMX started with GH, the characters and sets weren't so much cartoony as they are stereotypical caricatures, which given the option, I don't really prefer over the more realistic approach they took with RB. ...and that realism carried over to everything about their RB game compared to AV's GH - from the song charting, "power-ups", co-op play style, to the original versions of the standard drum kits (4 pads + kick vs 3 pads + 2 cyms and kick) to finally getting pro-instruments, keys and harmonies.
  • HairlooksgreatHairlooksgreat Opening Act
    edited July 2013
    Personally, I prefer the graphics in RB with the lone exception of that damn count down screen prior to playing a song. I wear headphones when I play and it's annoying as hell 5-beep...4-beep...3-beep. I usually play party shuffle now-a-days and when I see that screen prior to the first song, I go back to song menu and start over.
  • edited July 2013
    Beavers;5026276 said:
    Am I really the only one...
    The answer to any sentence starting like that is always no.
    Beavers;5026276 said:
    Also, no one else was bothered by the RB game's choppy frame-rate?
    As I said before, find your TV's game mode. With a proper setup there are no frame rate issues.
    Beavers;5026276 said:

Also, again I felt GH had more of the good stuff. While RB had "More variety" it had more slow, tepid songs and less fast-paced exciting songs in it. ...Again, it might have just been the graphics.
    Your logic stream makes little sense to me. You seem to be saying the same thing over and over again in some attempt to get a reaction... and there is a word for that but I wont jump to that just yet.

I will say that one mans Billy Joel is another persons Slayer. The diversity of Rock Band is what made it last so much longer than GH.... That is a very basic truth. Not opinion.
    Beavers;5026276 said:

In my opinion, yes.
  • billybobjoe1881billybobjoe1881 Rising Star
    edited July 2013
    If you find yourself watching the graphics more than the notes you're supposed to be playing than you have issues
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited July 2013
    Lump me in with the majority on this one. The Guitar Hero franchise went way too over the top with 3 and 4 in terms of cartooniness (and ads), and I found myself not caring all that much about the venues or what the characters were doing, even when they were supposed to be cool mo-capped, customized stuff like the Michael Jackson moonwalk in Beat It and such.

No, the venue work that I liked the most was Rock Band 2, particularly the long cut of the G/B/V and the camera panning from one to the other, with a brief pause to focus on each one for a little bit. That's also where the animation felt the most coherent. (On the other hand, RB3's character designer finally allowed me to make a character that actually looked like me, so...)
    billybobjoe1881;5026295 said:
    If you find yourself watching the graphics more than the notes you're supposed to be playing than you have issues
  • belalugosibelalugosi Unsigned
    edited July 2013
    Agree with the majority as well. It has never bothered me before, but after I really got into Rock Band 3 I couldn't go back to GH anymore. Everything was cartoony and over the top.

The only thing I really missed in RB was GH's party mode. I did actually love to just watch my characters perform a song on their own sometimes..... : )
    edited July 2013
    billybobjoe1881;5026295 said:

That's not what I was saying. I was saying how the dark, gloomy graphics with the low framerate (Both RB and RB2 suffer from low framerate, but Beatles RB doesn't, nor does any other game I have.) make a lot of the songs sound less interesting and slower paced than how a colorful game would make them sound. I never said ANYTHING about the gameplay other than RBs gameplay is obviously better.

As for songs. In GHWT, there were quite a few songs I liked. I really liked Rooftops(Liberation Broadcast) (Which is in LEGO Rock Band, but who cares?), Demolition Man, B.Y.O.B., Hollywood Nights, and a lot of other songs I'm almost embarrassed to say. With a lot of the songs I could care less about, like Lazy Eye, Eye of the Tiger, and American Woman transported into RB2. And the transferred songs I DO like sounded more generic thanks to a higher number of "Old-Fashioned" songs.

As for Venues, I'll admit some of the RB venues are cool. I do like the Willshire Forums stage with that over-the-top flashing backdrop with the lightning bolts and the band's name. The stage is kind of intimidating in a way cause the dramatic backdrop builds up hype for your band, and when you hear applause muffled by cricket chirps, it's kind of scary. I also like the clock stage, the wonderland play stage, the one where you're on the tower and you can see the city behind you were pretty cool. Others, though, like the ones with the candles, where they go out and the stage turns to almost complete darkness, are pretty boring. I also dislike the last stage in RB2 where you play the Rolling Stones Magazine marathon. The stage is over-saturated with a loud yellow all around, and it's kind of an eyesore. ...But I also thought some of the stages in GHWT were cool too, like the Bone Chapel and Rock Brigade stages.
    Doc_SoCal;5026291 said:
    The answer to any sentence starting like that is always no.

Well it sure feels like I'm the only one who doesn't like "realistic" all that much.
  • edited July 2013
    Beavers;5026317 said:
    Well it sure feels like I'm the only one who doesn't like "realistic" all that much.

Keep in mind that you're on the Rock Band forums, so it's likely that most of the people active here prefer RB. :)

Some people prefer the set list, art style, venues / lighting of RB, and some people prefer those things in GH. No judgment, just like what you like!
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited July 2013
    Beavers;5026276 said:
    Am I really the only one who strongly dislikes dark "realistic" graphics? Also, no one else was bothered by the RB game's choppy frame-rate?

Like Doc said, find your T.V.'s Game mode setting, I have never had a framerate issue and I've played on T.V.s from 1996 and it had 0 problems. With GH having more of the "good stuff", that would be opinion, I will side with the variety department on this one. While GH does have a lot of Metal and Rock that I enjoy, it had basically all songs I knew going into the game. I think there might have been 2-3 songs that I didn't know with the new one. Also up until really GH5 and Warriors of Rock, the graphics for GH were just crap, especially GHWT (those characters looked just....ugh. Plus and KFC and Coke adverts everywhere). In the end, it is opinion though my opinion is with the majority.
    edited July 2013
    The low frame-rate ONLY appears in Rock Band 1 and 2 (And possibly 3, haven't played it yet. ...Which kind of contradicts what I said about One Armed Scissor). I can NOT be the only person who notices the choppy frame-rate on Rock Band 1 and 2.

Also, I disagree, I think Rock Band has a lot more mainstream on it than Guitar Hero. I don't even want to play Rock Band 3 because of its overly mainstream set-list. We got Devo's most recognizable song, a mainstream Amy Winehouse song that barely even fits in a Rock Band game, a cult hit by the B-52s that happens to be one of my absolute LEAST favorite songs of theirs (And I've heard quite a bit from them), a bunch of other generic mainstream songs, and, like, ten or so songs I've never heard before. I can relate to a person who plays these games to hear new songs.

I also think in both Rock Band 1 and 2 that they were taking songs that were just popular as opposed to songs that are fun to listen to. Like Gimme Shelter, The Trees, Drain You, Aqualung, frankly I thought it was worse in this regard in the second game. Again, I know this is all just an opinion of mine, but still. I liked hearing some of the more obscure songs in the Rock Band series, like Electric Version, Rob the Prez-O-Dant, and such though.

As for the graphics in GHWT, I just plain don't see how they were THAT wretched. I can understand not being a fan of them, but you guys are making it sound worse that it is IMO.
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited July 2013
    Beavers;5026215 said:
    I'm referring to the overall frame-rate of the games.
    Too much thought...makes my head hurt. Much like choppy frame rates or too many words that say the same thing.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited July 2013
    The graphics will matter to you as much as you make them.
  • edited July 2013
    Beavers;5026389 said:
    .. a mainstream Amy Winehouse song that barely even fits in a Rock Band game...
    Totally.... I mean it's called ROCK Band, not WHATEVER THAT IS Band!!!

AMIRITE!?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghj5V5cUo1s

;)
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Beavers;5026389 said:
    The low frame-rate ONLY appears in Rock Band 1 and 2 (And possibly 3, haven't played it yet. ...Which kind of contradicts what I said about One Armed Scissor). I can NOT be the only person who notices the choppy frame-rate on Rock Band 1 and 2.

Are you referring to the visual effects or actual gameplay when you talk about a choppy frame rate? If you mean background visuals, there are effects that can give the appearance of a low frame rate, but it's just a style thing and does not affect the frame rate of the note track you're playing.

If you mean gameplay, I just googled and found a few other people who had complained about frame rate issues. The issue people were having seemed to be from playing to "i" resolution instead of "p" (like 1080i instead of 720p), and switching the resolution seemed to fix that issue for them. I'm not sure if that info will be able to help you out, but the game should be displaying the note track at a smooth and high frame rate.

EDIT: Also, I wanted to add that the on-disc soundtracks for the Rock Band games are not a big factor in my opinion of them. With the gigantic DLC library (now with many, many songs priced at $1), you can tailor it to your tastes and eventually ignore the on-disc songs you don't like.
    edited July 2013
    I was talking about visuals. The gameplay seems fine.

Also, I do not have internet on my XBox 360.
    Doc_SoCal;5026414 said:

AMIRITE!?!?!

;)

Any song with guitars and drums can be in a Rock Band game, it's just that it's more of a jazzy tune than a rock tune. Even though it adds diversity, It's not a very interesting song, plus it would fit better in a dance game.
  • RaccoonaticRaccoonatic Unsigned
    edited July 2013
    The only thing I really missed in RB was GH's party mode. I did actually love to just watch my characters perform a song on their own sometimes..... : )
    You can technically do this on Rock Band 3. Have a controller turned on, instead of an instrument (so it will think you are a vocalist), turn on Performance Mode and No Fail, start a song (or Party Shuffle). I've done this to listen to my songs while doing other things (you have to push A between songs). Unfortunately, because you are simulating playing the vocalist, it does not gender swap for songs.
  • belalugosibelalugosi Unsigned
    edited July 2013
    Raccoonatic;5026479 said:
    You can technically do this on Rock Band 3. Have a controller turned on, instead of an instrument (so it will think you are a vocalist), turn on Performance Mode and No Fail, start a song (or Party Shuffle). I've done this to listen to my songs while doing other things (you have to push A between songs). Unfortunately, because you are simulating playing the vocalist, it does not gender swap for songs.

Cool, that didn't occur to me really - will try that.
  • Goipper_of_GoitGoipper_of_Goit Unsigned
    edited July 2013
    Do you customise your characters? I find that, to a man/ woman, the default characters in Rock Band are either dull, hideous or a little bit too just wearing a bra. But there's a massive a mount of customisation options that can really brighten up the visuals quite a bit.

I think the Rock Band animations are definitely technically better. They convey the different types of song that the band are playing, rather just being the same movements slowed down. Sometimes songs are less hardcore and the visual style reflects that. It's definitely calmer, which for most people is more appropriate. But yeah the default characters are awful, make your own
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited July 2013
    Doc_SoCal;5026414 said:

AMIRITE!?!?!

;)

There's a less obvious reason why I miss new weekly DLC. The ridiculuous "this artist doesn't belong because it's Rock Band" comments, although there was a classic comment regarding Slayer being on the Rocksmith 2014 setlist something like: "This is Rocksmith, not Metalsmith"
    edited July 2013
    It's not just about what's rock and what's not. It's also about what sounds catchy and fun and what doesn't.
  • edited July 2013
    Beavers;5026532 said:
    It's not just about what's rock and what's not. It's also about what sounds catchy and fun and what doesn't.
    Another thing you may want to get used to around here is our copious use of sarcasm. ;)
    edited July 2013
    Uhhh, you do realize I understood what you said was sarcasm, right?
  • edited July 2013
    grumblevolcano;5026518 said:
    There's a less obvious reason why I miss new weekly DLC. The ridiculuous "this artist doesn't belong because it's Rock Band" comments, although there was a classic comment regarding Slayer being on the Rocksmith 2014 setlist something like: "This is Rocksmith, not Metalsmith"
    Good times
    edited July 2013
    I'm afraid you lost me.
  • brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited July 2013
    You're not the first person to wonder "Why is this song in Rock Band?" That question has been asked so many times on these forums it's become a running gag among moderators and those who post frequently.

If you like a song in the game, great. If you don't, that's fine. Rock Band 3 has more than 4,000 songs available encompassing a wide variety of genres -- surely you'll find something that appeals to you.

Think of it as an all-you-can-play musical buffet. Put what you like on your plate and leave what you don't like off of it -- but try not to sneeze all over the stuff you don't like, others might want to try it.
  • edited July 2013
    brookfieldworldorder;5026576 said:

Think of it as an all-you-can-play musical buffet. Put what you like on your plate and leave what you don't like off of it -- but try not to sneeze all over the stuff you don't like, others might want to try it.
    10/10
This discussion has been closed.