A Mustang Pro Guitar question that is confusing me

Tom ImpTom Imp Road Warrior
edited August 2013 in Rock Band
Yes, I know this thing has been out for quite some time, but being as I really never had any interest in Pro mode, I never followed the news on either the Mustang or the Squier.

Any way, my RB1 Strat after 5 years is finally on it's way out. Of course now it's very difficult to find replacement 5 button instruments in stores and the ones online have their prices jacked up to twice what they used to sell for.

While looking for a new 5 button guitar, I came across the Mustang Pro guitar and noticed in the description it says "The Rock Band 3 Wireless Mustang PRO-Guitar Controller is fully compatible with both standard and Pro modes."

Is this true? Can you actually use the Mustang in 5 button mode and if so how?
I only ask because if I can get this for standard mode, I'd rather pay the $60 for this than have to shell out $120 for the old model.

Comments

• AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited July 2013
    YouRock Guitar isn't compatible with 5 button mode, playing pro guitar through the MPA only allows you to play pro guitar and pro bass.

Also, as a Mustang owner, I hate playing 5 button with it, the frets are too big for that.
  • DentataDentata Opening Act
    edited July 2013
    Legacy guitar is supported by the YouRock using the Gameflex cartridge (at least that is what the YRG people claim, I don't own one). I believe that the Gameflex is only available on PS3 and Wii since MSFT didn't let them use/license something that they needed to make it work on XBox. It also has a whammy bar, though again I don't know if it sends the right messages for it to work.
  • Tom ImpTom Imp Road Warrior
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for all the info guys.

Needless to say, where I was once excited about the prospect, now I'm not so much. The idea of one guitar for both modes was very appealing, but since I would mainly be using it for Legacy mode, having no whammy and the buttons being too far apart has turned me off.

Guess I'll keep looking for someone who isn't ripping people off by doubling and tripling their prices on the 5 button models.
  • HairlooksgreatHairlooksgreat Opening Act
    edited July 2013
    You can always use GH guitars. Finding Band Hero bundles is easy (online) and a lot cheaper than buying just a RB guitar. Sell what you don't need and save yourself some money.
    edited July 2013
    I honestly didn't think I was going to revisit this thread as I thought I had my mind made up, but I have one more question. Well, more of a request than a question.

For those of you who have the Mustang, I'd like to ask a small favor. Could you measure the distance (from the middle of the buttons) between what would be the green button and the yellow button? Also, I'd like to know the distance between what would be the green button and the orange button.

I just want to see how much more distance there is between these on the Mustang as opposed to on the regular 5 button Strat.

Thanks in advance.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited July 2013
    I'm not going to dig out the mustang to measure for you but if you're legitimately considering the mustang for legacy

Stop it.

The only way you could even begin to find the Mustang somewhat satisfying is if you played easy legacy and didn't care about building any type of combo.
  • finalmattasyfinalmattasy Unsigned
    edited July 2013
    What's with the, "stop it."? He's making a simple request and asking nicely. I'm not around my mustang right now. But it's within millimeters of any regular real guitar. Just grab a guitar and feel out the first five frets. If you have a strat or tele all the better.
  • intropeeintropee Road Warrior
    edited July 2013
    Tom Imp;5028571 said:
    I honestly didn't think I was going to revisit this thread as I thought I had my mind made up, but I have one more question. Well, more of a request than a question.

For those of you who have the Mustang, I'd like to ask a small favor. Could you measure the distance (from the middle of the buttons) between what would be the green button and the yellow button? Also, I'd like to know the distance between what would be the green button and the orange button.

I just want to see how much more distance there is between these on the Mustang as opposed to on the regular 5 button Strat.

Thanks in advance.

There's a second section, just like the legacy RB guitar on the Mustang... distance is way shorter.
    finalmattasy;5028575 said:
    I'm not around my mustang right now. But it's within millimeters of any regular real guitar. Just grab a guitar and feel out the first five frets. If you have a strat or tele all the better.
    Pretty much the same.. when I get home ..I'll measure it to be sure :D
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the help guys. It's much appreciated.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited July 2013
    finalmattasy;5028575 said:
    What's with the, "stop it."? He's making a simple request and asking nicely.

Because buying a mustang to play legacy is silly. It's horrible for legacy, completely horrible. Like not even worth playing if don't suck, and care even a little bit about stars.
    edited August 2013
    Sorry:(... Something came up and I had forgotten when I got home.:p
    Will look tonight...:cool:
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited August 2013
    I believe that the Mustang controller emulates the 22.5" scale of some of the original Fender Mustangs (as opposed to the 25.5" Stratocaster scale of the You Rock). "Scale" is length of the string, the distance from the nut to the bridge, which should be about twice the length from the nut to the 12th fret. The "frets" are spaced accordingly. 22.5" is also known a 3/4 scale (I think).
    edited August 2013
    mikeyts;5029947 said:
    I believe that the Mustang controller emulates the 22.5" scale of some of the original Fender Mustangs (as opposed to the 25.5" Stratocaster scale of the You Rock). "Scale" is length of the string, the distance from the nut to the bridge, which should be about twice the length from the nut to the 12th fret. The "frets" are spaced accordingly. 22.5" is also known a 3/4 scale (I think).
    Ninja'd :)

Thanks for replying :D
    edited August 2013
    mikeyts;5029947 said:
    That is quite informative, but to be honest doesn't help me much as it's a bit too technical. I'm sitting here reading this trying to get an idea on my original question, but I'm not able to.

Basically all I wanted to know is what is the actual distance in inches on the Mustang controller, both between what would be the Green button and the Yellow button and what would be the Green button and the Orange button.

I just want to see if my index finger and pinkie will be able to stretch far enough apart to reach the buttons on both ends.
    edited August 2013
    I'll get it again, when I get home...
    Unless I get Ninja'd... :)
    The race is on for the answer... :D
    edited August 2013
    I gave my Mustang away so I no longer have it to make that measurement. I did try using it for 5-button and it was horrible. Their mistake is using the first 5 frets; YRG starts GRYBO at the fourth fret and changes the spacing from standard a bit so that the low frets are a bit closer together and the high ones a bit further apart. You have to have a hell of a hand span to hold buttons on the first and fifth fret simultaneously (G-O chord) and forget and all of the 3 button chords are terribly difficult.

EDIT: Sorry to ninja you again, Intropee :D. I can't measure the distance between the frets now but I did take those measurements 3 years ago and posted them here.

I posted a bunch of my initial impressions of the thing (with pictures, even :D), starting here in that thread. It's amusing to see how gung-ho enthusiatic I was about it back then :D. I and others also post our assessment of trying to use it for 5-button play.
    edited August 2013
    mikeyts;5030081 said:

EDIT: Sorry to ninja you again, Intropee :D.

It's ok DanielSon...:cool: your Ninja skill are powerful.... but these are not the droids, you are looking for.. :D

Anyway, I will still get the said measurements tonight.. :D
    More info is better than no info...:rolleyes:
  • edited August 2013
    intropee;5030084 said:

More info is better than no info...:rolleyes:

Quote of the day material right there.
    edited August 2013
    Doc_SoCal;5030086 said:
    Quote of the day material right there.
    LOL, Thanks Doc...

Now back to the topic...

A Rockband guitar is 5 inches from the red button to the orange button( Each button is 1 inch thick )
    The Mustang is 6- 1/4" from the red fret to the orange fret.

Hope this helps... :)
  • edited August 2013
    intropee;5030116 said:
    LOL, Thanks Doc...

Now back to the topic...

A Rockband guitar is 5 inches from the red button to the orange button( Each button is 1 inch thick )
    The Mustang is 6- 1/4" from the red fret to the orange fret.

Hope this helps... :)
    Can you compare center to center measurements?

Too much vs none and all that jazz... :P

I love data.
    edited August 2013
    Doc_SoCal;5030126 said:
    Can you compare center to center measurements?

Too much vs none and all that jazz... :P

I love data.

Sure... :D

This is the Mustang's measurements, Exactly this time...

from the guitar headstock or top of guitar down

1st Fret ( Red ) 1-1/4" width-- Center is 5/8"
    2nd Fret ( Green ) Same as red, believe it or not..
    3rd Fret ( Yellow ) 1-1/8" width-- Center is almost 1/2" or 9/16" to be exact.
    4th Fret ( Blue ) Same as Yellow.. This is quite interesting, I must say :rolleyes:
    5th Fret ( Orange ) 15/16" width--Center is 7/16"

So center to center is roughly about a inch, give or take between each fret....:p

Still coming out as 6-1/4" overall, because of spacing between each fret is also in the equation :)

Side note:

The mustang only has 17 frets ( compared to the Squier which has 22 frets )
    Fret #13 thru 17 are your Red thru Orange like the plastic rock band guitar!
    And Doc... Heck no, am I going to measure it.. :D LOL
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for all the info (and pic) guys. I appreciate it.

While it is further apart, I picked up my legacy Strat last night and tried stretching my fingers as much as I could. I was able to put my index finger on the green button and my ring finger on the orange with my pinky touching the next fret down. Granted, it wasn't comfortable, but I could do it.

I remember when I first got the game and this guitar. I never played any other music game before, so this was all new to me. I couldn't even reach the orange button with my pinky when my index was on the green. I just couldn't stretch it far enough. Now like I said I can do index (green) and ring (orange). Based on the pic mikeyts provided, I could probably manage reaching the 5 frets on the Mustang.

Worst case scenario, I get a guitar to try out Pro mode and do some goals with it to unlock more stuff. Right now, I still have 2 legacy controllers in working order so if I find it impossible to play 5 button on the Mustang I could still go back. Only issue I have with the old ones are bad whammy bars. If I could figure out how to tighten one of them so it didn't keep falling down as I played (not the broken spring problem), it would be as almost as good as new.

Any way, thank you again for all your help.
    edited August 2013
    You should also try all of the three button chord positions, especially the split ones, like GRB, GYB, RYO and RBO. If you like to play 5-button keys on guitar it gets much worse, GO while doing something with a finger between.
    edited August 2013
    mikeyts;5030187 said:
    You should also try all of the three button chord positions, especially the split ones, like GRB, GYB, RYO and RBO. If you like to play 5-button keys on guitar it gets much worse, GO while doing something with a finger between.
    LMAO :) but it's fun though..
    Also don't forget to try playing it behind your back and recite Mr. Roboto! :D
    I even roll on the floor laughing my A... Butt off with it.. AWESOME!!! :D
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited August 2013
    I have a mustang, and I have found this discussion fascinating. I've got several legacy controllers in my bunker (thanks to doc's thread) that I don't think I'll ever need use my mustang that way, but nice to know if the need ever arises, I'll know how.
    Just have to add, that the thought of intropee playing his gtr behind his back while singing Mr. Roboto....Priceless :P
    edited August 2013
    mikeyts;5030187 said:
    Here is a little confession. I still after all this time mostly play on Medium. There are some songs I will play on Hard and will delve into Expert on the zero tiered songs, but for the most part I'm a Medium player. So, I really don't have to worry about any 3 note chords.
    edited August 2013
    Tom Imp;5030294 said:
    Here is a little confession. I still after all this time mostly play on Medium. There are some songs I will play on Hard and will delve into Expert on the zero tiered songs, but for the most part I'm a Medium player. So, I really don't have to worry about any 3 note chords.

More of a reason to use the Mustang.. )
    because reg. guitar would be easier after a month of the Stang :D
    edited August 2013
    intropee;5030321 said:
    You got that right :). I don't think that anyone has come up with a more cruel fret hand stretching exercise :D.
    edited August 2013
    intropee;5030321 said:
    My thought exactly. :)
    edited August 2013
    Well, I decided to pull the trigger and order the Mustang. It should be here in roughly a week. :)

I was looking around for finger stretching/strengthening exercises and I came across a site with this video.
    The Worm

After watching it I decided to emulate the movement on the legacy frets just to see how it felt. Damn, I thought my hands and fingers were in good shape considering how much I work them, but this was a whole new beast. After only one pass up and then down, I could feel the tendons getting sore. Guess I have a lot more work to do to get these digits in shape.