My green cymbal is dead ... :(

ilyama999ilyama999 Opening Act
edited August 2013 in Peer To Peer Support Forum
Hello !

I'm so sad right now ... :(

I bought a lot of songs for my birthday, I just played and I noticed I make a lot of mistakes ...

But it wasnt me ... My green cymbal didnt answer at all anymore ...

4 months only after purchase !!! :(

What can I test ? I already tested all I can but if you have an idea ...

thx

:(

Comments

• SLAAAAAAYERSLAAAAAAYER Unsigned
    edited July 2013
    I've busted many cymbals myself, I hit way too hard. I've got cracks and splits that I repaired with epoxy so that I have back-ups when I undoubtly break my existing replacement cymbals. Madcats still sells replacement cymbals for about $20 a set/3 (they don't sell individuals).

If your a little adventurous, you could try opening up the cymbal to inspect what I believe is the problem:
    Assuming this is the Madcats pro-drums not the RB pro-drums, simply remove the four hold down tabs underneath the cymbal with a mini screwdriver. Peel back the rubber overlay. Look for what I suspect is a broken wire that gave way from the sensor. It is a little plastic circle with a rubber diaphram that responds to the impact of your sticks. It is a really cheap@ss wire and solder job, (when you see it you will know what I mean). It is more than likely the wire snapped off of where it is soldered to the sensor. Just strip the end of the loose wire about 1/16th of an inch. Its really thin, so just take the solder gun and melt the end of the wire and reheat the existing solder to regain contact with the sensor.

Hope this helps.
  • ilyama999ilyama999 Opening Act
    edited July 2013
    It helps a lot but I'm not so good with the DIY ... :( And it's nearly a new product ...
    With a product who didnt have warranty , I would try what you tells me without hesitation ...

But I can loose warranty no ?

In fact, I think I can be refund but the issue is to found new ones for Belgium ... :(
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited July 2013
    If you can prove were you bought it, get hold of mad catz. They offered me a replacement, but I lost my receipt :(
    edited July 2013
    Hello !

Thx for the answer !!!

Yes I can prove you where and when I bought them.

Amazon.de and a marketplace seller... But I also wait an answer about this seller... But I know I can only have a refund but I dont care I want my cymbals !!!! :(:(:(

I'm from Belgium...

You think madcats can be sensitive at my issue ?

Because I read that the first year of warranty is support by the seller not by madcatz ...

thx
    edited July 2013
    Hello !

Just to know, if I buy the cymbals on amazon.com (USA store of amazon) , it will be the exact same product that I bought on amazon.de no ?

It's the same cymbals worldwide I guess ?

Thx
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited July 2013
    Yes, they'd be the same cymbals worldwide.
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    edited July 2013
    just go to your local music store and buy a new cymbal, problem solved. If this one dies on you return it to the store with receipt in hand.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited July 2013
    meck77;5028862 said:
    just go to your local music store and buy a new cymbal, problem solved. If this one dies on you return it to the store with receipt in hand.

You say that as if RB cymbals are available everywhere. RB gear is difficult to get in Europe in general.
  • edited July 2013
    meck77;5028862 said:
    LoopyChew;5028934 said:
    You say that as if RB cymbals are available everywhere. RB gear is difficult to get in Europe in general.
    And further to that, Meck, if you are suggesting to folks they get a regular e-cymbal, that is a different animal than a RB Kit compatible cymbal. It wont work.

All that being said, open up the cymbal, they are VERY simple beasts and perhaps its simply a failed connection.
    SLAAAAAAYER;5028778 said:
    . It is a little plastic circle with a rubber diaphram that responds to the impact of your sticks.
    It's a piezo sensor. Just like in the drum heads.

Super easy to come by if the stock one has failed.
    edited July 2013
    Oh... Actually, Doc, can you help me out with this one? My green cymbal has never worked right. It double taps when hit in the centre and breaks my streak all the time. I have to have it turned to the side to play.

Can you just explain to me how to fix it?
  • edited July 2013
    Munnchy;5029063 said:
    Oh... Actually, Doc, can you help me out with this one? My green cymbal has never worked right. It double taps when hit in the centre and breaks my streak all the time. I have to have it turned to the side to play.

Can you just explain to me how to fix it?
    I would try this first:

http://docsrockbandmods.net/viewtopic.php?t=3903
    edited July 2013
    Thanks Doc, I'll give this a try next time I have some free time
  • edited July 2013
    Munnchy;5029175 said:
    Thanks Doc, I'll give this a try next time I have some free time
    Cheers mate, good luck.
  • Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited August 2013
    If you are unable to fix your cymbal, you can get some single zone ecymbals from various makers fairly cheap. I've replaced all my original ion kit cymbals with Simmons cymbals and they have worked flawlessly and taken tons of punishment. Well worth the modest price of each of them.
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    edited August 2013
    Have you tested the cymbal on one of the other colors to rule out the green jack input as a possibility.

The yellow cymbal input jack on my rock band 3 set broke but that was after 12 months of usage.

If the cymbal is still under warranty then madcatz should help you, they sent me out a new dongle straight away after i called them up and i am in australia.
    edited August 2013
    Yes I also try shis cymbal on another jack, same problem ....

And another cymbal on green jack it's not problem so it's the cymbal the issue ...

But I also thought to buy other cymbals than madcatz and thanks to Sargehalo51, I know some brands who are compatible with RB2 kit ...

Thx guys !
  • edited August 2013
    ilyama999;5029960 said:
    Yes I also try shis cymbal on another jack, same problem ....

And another cymbal on green jack it's not problem so it's the cymbal the issue ...

But I also thought to buy other cymbals than madcatz and thanks to Sargehalo51, I know some brands who are compatible with RB2 kit ...

Thx guys !
    I think you are misunderstanding.

The ONLY cymbals that work with a Rock Band 2 or 3 kit are MadCatz.
    Sargehalo51;5029260 said:
    I've replaced all my original ion kit cymbals with Simmons cymbals and they have worked flawlessly and taken tons of punishment. Well worth the modest price of each of them.
    The other cymbals are viable replacements for the Rock Band ION Drum Rocker, NOT the standard drum controller.

Did you open up your green cymbal and look for a broken wire? I have seen pinched and broken wires on BRAND NEW MadCatz cymbals.
    edited August 2013
    I will try that but I'm gonna buy new ones too because it becomes so rare... :(