RBN bites the dust?

RockBandForUKRockBandForUK Rising Star
edited September 2013 in The Rock Band Network
Hi all,

I've been trying to get some music in this game over the past couple of months but every authoring group that has replied to me says that they are no longer producing any more tracks for RBN due to the April outage and lack of "steam" since. Does anyone know what is really going on? Is there an authoring group out there where I can send some music to?

Comments

• grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 2013
    I know that the recent Xbox 360 update which changed MSP into real currency has caused big problems as the most recent RBN song to be released "The Spark of Life" by Richard Campbell does not have a price listed so no-one can buy it. There were a few Creators issues after April outage too.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited September 2013
    Didn't affect me as a PS3 owner... But such a shame. Was hoping the authors could keep it going, but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case.
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited September 2013
    Well, I'm still active. I'm not accepting songs at the moment myself, but it's not because of "lack of steam" or anything like that. It's because I have so much that needs to be released that I need to get out first before I tackle any more tracks.

I just moved in to my new house and got internet not too long ago. I just now was able to get my Xbox connected. Up until then, I haven't even been on Creators to playtest. However, I'm all situated again, and am now working on updating some of our songs. I may even get a video or two done to show off what I haven't shown off yet.

My move, the April outage and this XBL brouhaha all had to happen at the worst possible time, and at the same time. I know the first one only applies to me, but still.

I will be a bit delayed though, due to the fact that it's just me doing all this, and the fact that apparently my XNA ran out and Microsoft's email verification thing appears to be down and won't let me sign in to renew the account.

I'm not out of the game yet, though, and there's still playtesting going on in Creators from what I can see. There's a much smaller pool of testers than there used to be though, and that combined with the Xbox marketplace issues is causing songs to come out much slower, or not at all. (Humanoid's still not even available yet in the in-game store, the last thing in there is Beyond The Night and we all know more's come out since then.)

EDIT: Alright, so this video is mega-old, the charts have been updated since then, it was only uploaded to show to the artist and it's not in HD, but I figure I gotta show off something since I can't record new footage (damn XNA) and I haven't gotten clearance on some of the other completed songs. (And the ones I've gotten clearance on, I haven't finished yet!) So, I'm unveiling for you guys a full song preview of "Schizophrenic Seizure" by Superfluous Motor, featuring me as drum composer! Song's in Peer Review right now and I personally think it's ready to go at this point (note again the charts in this video aren't current). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSRgI1C79bI
  • SideshowNSideshowN Rising Star
    edited September 2013
    Has Fairwood, Ozone, and TAG completely jumped ship? I havnt seem them on creators for some time now.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited September 2013
    SideshowN;5032769 said:
    Has Fairwood, Ozone, and TAG completely jumped ship? I havnt seem them on creators for some time now.

it would be really depressing if they have... all of them have announced songs I really want
    edited September 2013
    SideshowN;5032769 said:

You'll have to ask them yourself via email or something. Without any word from them on the subject directly anything's just speculation; they may have had a similar situation as mine where they've just been unable to test things.

On a happier note, I did renew XNA for Chart Toppers, so while I can't do anything much tonight because it's getting late, I'm gonna try to review a bunch of stuff over the next few days. Basically, whatever time my day job, my citizen's fire academy class, practicing my real instruments, and recording the Echo Chamber podcast doesn't take away from me, I'm gonna try to put towards this as much as I can until I've released all of my backlog. (When the hell did I get a life...) Then I can take on new music again!

I also need to finish the unannounced songs and release videos of them. That's also a thing. Some questions: Does anyone really care about how flashy/interesting a preview video's intro screen is for an RBN preview? Would you want to see the entire song even if there's probably errors? I'm starting to think it may be easier to capture the song on video and put it directly to YouTube to save a bit of time, but I know presentation also matters...thoughts?
    edited September 2013
    firedoom666;5032776 said:
    it would be really depressing if they have... all of them have announced songs I really want

I really want that Rishloo song "freaks and animals". The preview chart that they showed a while back made it look almost complete.

Thanks Arcanon for your enthusiasm to release material. I will purchase each and every song that comes out to help support the game. Now that there seems to be only a skeleton crew of authors and testers wouldnt it be great if the guidelines for passing songs was cut short just a bit? Say songs now require less votes to get them out.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited September 2013
    Arcanon;5032782 said:
    I also need to finish the unannounced songs and release videos of them. That's also a thing. Some questions: Does anyone really care about how flashy/interesting a preview video's intro screen is for an RBN preview? Would you want to see the entire song even if there's probably errors? I'm starting to think it may be easier to capture the song on video and put it directly to YouTube to save a bit of time, but I know presentation also matters...thoughts?

well I am starving for some Rock Band stuff... how long would adding the flashy stuff take? it can't be that hard... but I would be fine with seeing anything at this point
  • BongOfDestinySHBongOfDestinySH Unsigned
    edited September 2013
    I care a lot more about seeing the full charts than delaying and cutting short your videos for presentation.
  • RockBandForUKRockBandForUK Rising Star
    edited September 2013
    Like I said, I have e-mailed every authoring group I can find and I have either got no response or they have rejected my proposal due to there not being a big enough community.

@the poster who still authors Rock Band tracks, please message me when you're workload decreases. I would love to get my track in the game still.
  • J-Roc-DrumzJ-Roc-Drumz Rising Star
    edited September 2013
    Arcanon;5032782 said:
    Does anyone really care about how flashy/interesting a preview video's intro screen is for an RBN preview? Would you want to see the entire song even if there's probably errors? I'm starting to think it may be easier to capture the song on video and put it directly to YouTube to save a bit of time, but I know presentation also matters...thoughts?

No. A flashy intro won't make a/the song any better or any worst. When (I won't speak for everyone) I click a video to see the charts and get a preveiw of what the song sounds like, that's all I care about seeing and hearing.

Don't worry about it man. I'm pretty sure no one is gonna say 'I liked the song and the chart. But it didn't have an intro/a good intro, so I'm not gonna get it". :)
  • mrjsr05mrjsr05 Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    Why hasn't Rock band network Authors Released any tracks are they gonna release any tracks soon?
  • jbillytntjbillytnt Unsigned
    edited September 2013
    J-Roc-Drumz;5034061 said:
    No. A flashy intro won't make a/the song any better or any worst. When (I won't speak for everyone) I click a video to see the charts and get a preveiw of what the song sounds like, that's all I care about seeing and hearing.

Don't worry about it man. I'm pretty sure no one is gonna say 'I liked the song and the chart. But it didn't have an intro/a good intro, so I'm not gonna get it". :)
    +1

I really only care about preview videos when I can't find the song anyplace else; YT, google, etc. Besides if it's a good song and chart (let's be honest even if it's not) someone will upload a video to YT the night the song is released. Probably an FC of one of the charts. Wish we had a way to get people excited about RB again.
    edited September 2013
    Alright, so something like this is what I'm thinking.

This is what I plan to use to make a full preview of every one of our released songs. (Lord knows that's been a long time coming.) Simple intro with a little instrumental I recorded myself, song and charts, fade out, with all relevant info in the description. This took me only a couple minutes to set up, including the recording of the instrumental, which was a spur-of-the-moment thing.

If this looks good, I plan to not only make those full previews, but also use a similar format for advance pre-playtest previews. The only difference would be the text at the beginning would state that the song is a prototype; the previews would be full-length as well. These previews (and all the previous short previews) would all be then marked unlisted when the song officially releases, and would be replaced by the final version's preview.

Thoughts on any of this? I'm making an "official" preview of Schizophrenic Seizure next to show what an advance preview would look like (and also to release a good HD one publicly).

EDIT: Here's the preview for Schizophrenic Seizure done this way. This video also has updated charts; the version shown is the one currently in Peer Review.
    edited September 2013
    Arcanon;5034172 said:
    Alright, so something like this is what I'm thinking.

This is what I plan to use to make a full preview of every one of our released songs. (Lord knows that's been a long time coming.) Simple intro with a little instrumental I recorded myself, song and charts, fade out, with all relevant info in the description. This took me only a couple minutes to set up, including the recording of the instrumental, which was a spur-of-the-moment thing.

If this looks good, I plan to not only make those full previews, but also use a similar format for advance pre-playtest previews. The only difference would be the text at the beginning would state that the song is a prototype; the previews would be full-length as well. These previews (and all the previous short previews) would all be then marked unlisted when the song officially releases, and would be replaced by the final version's preview.

Thoughts on any of this? I'm making an "official" preview of Schizophrenic Seizure next to show what an advance preview would look like (and also to release a good HD one publicly).

EDIT: Here's the preview for Schizophrenic Seizure done this way. This video also has updated charts; the version shown is the one currently in Peer Review.

Looks pretty great to me, and that song looks really fun. Now if Microsoft would just fix their sh** we could start buying songs again.
    edited September 2013
    jbillytnt;5034456 said:
    Looks pretty great to me, and that song looks really fun. Now if Microsoft would just fix their sh** we could start buying songs again.
    I know really. If it were 2009 and this happened I'm sure Microsoft would be on it in a heart beat because DLC for this game was a big money maker. Now that Rock Band is long in the tooth and barely makes money anymore its such a low priority. That or the problem is really difficult to fix.
    edited September 2013
    I've been in contact with Microsoft tech support today, and it looks like they are taking a look at the issue. They have provided more help so far on this than any other source I've tried contacting. Fingers crossed they work some magic. I also submitted a ticket with HMX (thought i'm sure they are aware of the issues) as friendly nudge. Worst case scenario I hope we at least get some more info about what's going on.
  • mrjsr05mrjsr05 Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    jbillytnt;5034510 said:
    I've been in contact with Microsoft tech support today, and it looks like they are taking a look at the issue. They have provided more help so far on this than any other source I've tried contacting. Fingers crossed they work some magic. I also submitted a ticket with HMX (thought i'm sure they are aware of the issues) as friendly nudge. Worst case scenario I hope we at least get some more info about what's going on.
    Good Answer
    edited September 2013
    I've been in contact with Xbox support via twitter. Here is what they had to say:
    https://twitter.com/JiggleBill

From what i can gather the problem isn't with MS.

Here is the reply from HMX.

What's broken for you? If you're an author and something isn't working for you, you can send an email to
    [email]creators_support@rockband.com[/email]
    and they'll get you sorted. If you're a buyer and are concerned that new songs haven't been coming out, it's due to songs not being submitted currently by authors; we don't control the flow of people submitting.

I replied asking about Republic of Gamers, Spark of Life, and Humanoid, as well as this guy http://gyazo.com/d9e432f6b3ab39f6d34f2abdb9352a27
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    So according to Harmonix, RBN isn't down, people just aren't submitting tracks anymore? Is this whole "broken pipeline" thing a myth?
    edited September 2013
    tdc002;5034720 said:
    So according to Harmonix, RBN isn't down, people just aren't submitting tracks anymore? Is this whole "broken pipeline" thing a myth?

Oh, something's broken, I can tell you that. Otherwise, you'd be able to buy Humanoid and everything else that came out after that in the in-game store by now (or, with the exception of Humanoid, at least be able to see it in the store).

Also, people are still definitely submitting tracks. There's a bunch of tracks being tested right now on Creators, and groups (including mine) are still submitting new things. I have three songs on there I haven't even publicly announced yet, and I uploaded one of those three earlier today.

The problem (besides whatever is wrong with the store, which I REALLY hope they fix) is that there's very few testers left to pass songs through. I'm definitely one to talk, since I have some testing I need to catch up on but I haven't been able to do much recently. I'm hoping to do a lot of testing over the next two weeks and help get some songs approved (and get my songs looked at and approved as well) so that when the pipeline gets fixed those songs can be released.
    edited September 2013
    Arcanon;5034721 said:
    Oh, something's broken, I can tell you that. Otherwise, you'd be able to buy Humanoid and everything else that came out after that in the in-game store by now (or, with the exception of Humanoid, at least be able to see it in the store).

Also, people are still definitely submitting tracks. There's a bunch of tracks being tested right now on Creators, and groups (including mine) are still submitting new things. I have three songs on there I haven't even publicly announced yet, and I uploaded one of those three earlier today.

The problem (besides whatever is wrong with the store, which I REALLY hope they fix) is that there's very few testers left to pass songs through. I'm definitely one to talk, since I have some testing I need to catch up on but I haven't been able to do much recently. I'm hoping to do a lot of testing over the next two weeks and help get some songs approved (and get my songs looked at and approved as well) so that when the pipeline gets fixed those songs can be released.

Is the xna membership required to playtest and can people still sign up for that?
    edited September 2013
    jbillytnt;5034770 said:
    Is the xna membership required to playtest and can people still sign up for that?

Yeah, XNA's needed. You can grab a membership at http://xbox.create.msdn.com/en-US/. There's an extra hoop you've gotta go through to get into Creators these days on top of that, and you can blame whoever hacked the site in April for making that necessary. I believe there's an email address to contact on the creators.rockband.com site to get you access. Obviously, hold off on getting XNA until you have access to Creators.

Once you're in, root through the Docs to familiarize yourself with the process and the authoring guidelines, and you should be set to start testing!
  • edited September 2013
    Hey all, just want to point people to this thread for additional information about the current status of RBN:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235109&p=5034814#post5034814

Apologies for not being able to weigh in sooner. You can direct all conversation to that thread to make sure the HMX response is more visible and all the threads are organized in one place.
This discussion has been closed.