Rock Band/Guitar Hero: Anyone like BOTH?

BeaversBeavers Opening Act
edited October 2013 in Rock Band
I've been kind of wondering this for a while. I know Rock Band has a big fan base, and I've heard that GH had one too. But I've noticed a lot of hostility towards Guitar Hero. But to be honest, I like both franchises. I like Rock Band's overall game-play, as the note charts seem to be much better constructed than Guitar Hero, but honestly I like almost everything else about Guitar Hero more. Guitar Hero usually has more music that appeals to me(Except Band Hero. It's set list sucked major league!). More Indie music, more poppy-fast paced music, less slow music, less folk music, and usually less mainstream (Except Band Hero which was almost nothing but Mainstream). Plus I prefer the more colorful graphics and some of the stages in the Guitar Hero series too. (I pay LITTLE attention to those KFC ads). While Rock Band does have some cool stages, I really hate the ones that fade to almost entire black, as well as the stages with huge blaring lights strewn all over the place.

I often go back to both series from time to time. I usually play Guitar Hero when I want to listen to a specific song or practice drumming, but I play Rock Band when I just want to rock out (and to a lesser extent for a specific song). Also I have a lot of fun singing Painkiller in Rock Band 2, trying to imitate that screeching voice.

Comments

• XxTheWhopperxXXxTheWhopperxX Unsigned
    edited September 2013
    Doc_SoCal;5033091 said:
    Without Guitar Hero, there would be no Rock Band.

So, Sure, I like both but drumming in Guitar Hero is just whack a mole with music.

Rock Band drumming IS drumming.
    Agreed. The only thing Guitar Hero drumming has to offer that Rock Band does not is the double kick pedal songs (Only a few songs have it off RBN)
  • BeaversBeavers Opening Act
    edited September 2013
    Forgive me. I just recently got a drum set, so I've been playing on easy between Rock Band, Rock Band 2, and Guitar Hero: World Tour. I felt GH:WT takes it easier on you in easy mode than RB does. RB2 is about the same, though. My opinion might change if I ever get better at the drums.
  • SideshowNSideshowN Rising Star
    edited September 2013
    I never liked the charting in GH games for drums compared to RB and when RB3 finally came out with Pro Drums and the ability to use a MIDI drum set it completely crushed GH drumming.
    When it comes to plastic 5 lane guitar/bass I do prefer GH because I like extended sustains and purple notes for bass. Also the timing window for hitting HOPO's is much more forgiving in GH which suits me just well for an average expert guitar player.
  • RaccoonaticRaccoonatic Unsigned
    edited September 2013
    I definitely like (and have and play) both (but play RB3 much more). Rock Band 3 is far more polished than WoR, the charting is better overall, and I have waaaayyyy more songs on RB, but there are many things about Guitar Hero I like as well (one of the things being its over-the-top fantastical style, presentation, and characters. But there are some other, more mechanical, things I like about GH, too)
  • BVP2K10BVP2K10 Opening Act
    edited September 2013
    XxTheWhopperxX;5033065 said:
    I love both.
    Guitar Hero Pros:
    Bass is more difficult with the normal strum notes
    What does this mean? I never played Guitar Hero.
    SideshowN;5033127 said:
    ... the timing window for hitting HOPO's is much more forgiving in GH which suits me just well for an average expert guitar player.
    I also consider myself an average (or a little above average) expert guitar player, and I definitely wish the HOPOs in RB3 were more forgiving. Can anyone verify that there is more "forgiveness" in timing regular strums (including strumming HOPOs) than hitting HOPOs as intended? It sure seems that way.
  • edited September 2013
    Average Expert... Is that like a Jumbo Shrimp?

;)
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited September 2013
    I like both, but I like RB much better overall and I will certainly echo the 'Whack-a-mole" comment when it comes to drumming.
    But...there are a few exclusive, so to speak, tunes on the GH platform that I enjoy guitaring/bassing it up on still, so I fire it up every 3 months or so.
  • wafflerevolutionwafflerevolution Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    I've always liked both, there's really no reason not to other than fanboyism... rhythm games are rhythm games...
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    The purple notes on bass in GH are open notes no button to press just strum, which I personally dont care alot for.
    The Drumming on RB is AWESOME and comparing the two is apples to oranges.
    As for the HOPO's one can argue that GH's are much more forgiving if your strumming in which I agree but turn it around and fingertap without strumming and RB is much much smoother and more comfortable to play I think.

Over all RB all day for all these reasons, plus the 4200+ songs I can play off of one disc and full band play is 7 people, makes for ALOT of fun evenings.

Oh and to answer your ?-yes I like both and still have GH:M, GH:VH and GHII all have great songs on them and the guitar is pretty fun to play every now and then
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    I can't stand GH's charting. They add notes that doesn't exist, and they don't add notes that exists.
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    edited September 2013
    Alternity;5033258 said:
    I can't stand GH's charting. They add notes that doesn't exist, and they don't add notes that exists.

I can't recall any charts that do either of those things.
    edited September 2013
    Just on top of my head, one of the worst I remember: Painkiller, on 5 button guitar. I never played it, sure, but I saw it on youtube, and oh my god, this is horrible.

EDIT: Just rewatched it and found the part I was remembering: Around 3:25 in that video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QAPprutIeo . That doesn't make sens to me.

And frankly, even before RB ever existed, the TTFAF chart on guitar on GH3 had parts that never really made sens to me either. Some parts in the solos that are very not synced (I've always wondered on people hit those parts, probably not by listening to the song accurately...), and of course, that keyboard part, that should've never been charted for guitar.

Been years, I do recall some errors here and there, but I have no details, been too long. Yes, RB has some error (and even pro keys errors, I've ran around a couple), but they are ERROR, it wasn't intended to be this way. (wrong notes mostly)

This is an opinion of course, but the off sync notes in TTFAF are real, though.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    Nope, nobody like's both
    edited September 2013
    Alternity;5033378 said:
    Just on top of my head, one of the worst I remember: Painkiller, on 5 button guitar. I never played it, sure, but I saw it on youtube, and oh my god, this is horrible.

EDIT: Just rewatched it and found the part I was remembering: Around 3:25 in that video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QAPprutIeo . That doesn't make sens to me.

That's how slides are charted in GH:VH.
  • NarooNNarooN Opening Act
    edited September 2013
    I started off with the plastitar games with GH1 & 2, so I did enjoy GH at one point. The last one I bought was 3, the first one made by someone other than HMX, and while I did have fun with it, it was obvious it wasn't really up to HMX's standards (a lot of the charts were 'inaccurate' to say the least, and the timing window was super-generous). After that, I went and got RB1 in early 2008 and pretty much stuck with RB since then.

I didn't like the direction GH took later on, so a lot of those games I didn't really bother with. Though some of them looked nice, I might pick some of them up just for the setlists and such at some point.
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    Alternity;5033378 said:

And frankly, even before RB ever existed, the TTFAF chart on guitar on GH3 had parts that never really made sens to me either. Some parts in the solos that are very not synced (I've always wondered on people hit those parts, probably not by listening to the song accurately...), and of course, that keyboard part, that should've never been charted for guitar.

Been years, I do recall some errors here and there, but I have no details, been too long. Yes, RB has some error (and even pro keys errors, I've ran around a couple), but they are ERROR, it wasn't intended to be this way. (wrong notes mostly)

This is an opinion of course, but the off sync notes in TTFAF are real, though.

I agree with you, its also shy a bunch of notes at 4:30-4:45. I'm sure it was just there choice to chart it that way
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    the verdict is still out for me. I bought 3 GH games last week. Van Halen... World Tour, and GH 5. I got them so I could play some of the songs I wanted in RB that never made it. (yet). Van Halen calibrated well with my tv...but not World tour, but I was using different TV's so I suspect that's why. I really wanted to play "hotel California" in World tour, but It doesn't show up. Do I have to beat songs and get score points to open it? Because I put it in quick play but it's not showing up. I was really bummed. So right now, GH isn't winning any points with me.
    edited September 2013
    In GH3 you needed either to use the cheat code to unlock everything or play caereer to earn money to unlock bonus songs, and career songs were unlocked by playing them in career, if GHWT works with the same frame, it should have a cheat code to unlock everything (clothes, songs, etc)

EDIT: Found it, Not 100% sure but I think it will only unlock the songs. Might have other codes for other things, google should find them pretty easily ;)

Just plug this string of buttons into the "Cheats" section under the "Options" menu: Blue, Blue, Red, Green, Green, Blue, Blue, Yellow.
    edited September 2013
    Alternity;5035110 said:
    EDIT: Found it, Not 100% sure but I think it will only unlock the songs. Might have other codes for other things, google should find them pretty easily ;)

Just plug this string of buttons into the "Cheats" section under the "Options" menu: Blue, Blue, Red, Green, Green, Blue, Blue, Yellow.

It unlocks all songs except "Pull Me Under".
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    Thanks guys. Not sure if I'll use the cheat or actually play the game properly, but definitely helps to know that I'll eventually get to play the songs I've wanted, one way or another. :)
  • edited September 2013
    rkbdgurl;5035138 said:
    Thanks guys. Not sure if I'll use the cheat or actually play the game properly, but definitely helps to know that I'll eventually get to play the songs I've wanted, one way or another. :)
    That's an RB2 song.... ;)
  • ckrostekckrostek Unsigned
    edited October 2013
    We play both. RB beats GH with DLC hands down. But GH has songs that RB doesn't have. Also, we find GH is harder to play on expert so it's more challenging. Bass has purple bars as open notes so it throws in an additional challenge. We play RB 9 x out of 10, but still enjoy GH once in a while!
    edited October 2013
    ckrostek;5035727 said:
    Also, we find GH is harder to play on expert so it's more challenging.

If you want challenge, go pro ;)
  • blackheartstarblackheartstar Unsigned
    edited October 2013
    I greatly enjoy Rock Band over Guitar Hero but I don't dislike it. Every once in awhile I'll get a wild hair and drop some GH:WoR. Both are fun just RB3 is the best.

I have a question. Is Guitar Hero going to start dropping dlc from the store similarly to how we are slowly loosing our dlc?
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited October 2013
    With how much I crap on Guitar Hero, you'd assume I dislike it. I truly do not. Sure, I may complain about how a lot of charts are unrealistic and "artificially hard," I still find it fun. Plus, as a metalhead at heart, their more metal-centric setlists excite me. I also enjoy the harder songs in-setlist, and a lot of the time their more obscure choices become favorites of mine.

I do obviously enjoy Rock Band more, though. It's more realistic, and with more songs available for purchase I can customize my setlist to how I see fit. I also like the look myself; the sleeker-looking blocks just look better to me than the circles, and I like the cooler colors present throughout the menus.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited October 2013
    I've been playing Guitar Hero a lot lately. Primarily because I completely ignored it while RB was alive, but once RB died, I gave up hope of ever seeing the following in RB, so it justified my GH investment:

Metallica
    Van Halen
    Foreigner - Double Vision
    Dire Straits - Money For Nothing
    A couple of Springsteen songs
    A couple of KISS songs that aren't in RB
    Eagles

I got GH:World Tour, Guitar Hero: Metallica, Guitar Hero: Van Halen, and Guitar Hero: Warrior of Rock, and did the various exports. Got everything for under $50, so it's a nice *other* batch of songs to add to the RB3/TB:RB mix.
  • WIIBARONWIIBARON Opening Act
    edited October 2013
    Now if only RawkSD 3 were still around Wii could be playing those songs on RBs WAY better system.
  • intropeeintropee Road Warrior
    edited October 2013
  • WillyWilsonWillyWilson Unsigned
    edited October 2013
    Doc_SoCal;5033091 said:
    Without Guitar Hero, there would be no Rock Band.

So, Sure, I like both but drumming in Guitar Hero is just whack a mole with music.

Rock Band drumming IS drumming.

I agree, GH is like the inspiration of Rock Band, but of course there are differences and flaws for each of them. Still I like'em both :)
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    edited October 2013
    I loved GH 3 back in the day and still occasionally play it but it's 95% rock band for me.