The Rise and Fall of Rock Band

ricecakericecake Road Warrior
edited September 2013 in Rock Band
I saw this article and thought it was pretty interesting. It has some quotes from Greg LoPiccolo, Dan Sussman, and Dan Teasdale.
http://gameological.com/2013/09/the-rise-and-fall-of-rock-band/

Comments

• edited September 2013
    I think most of us know this story but it is an interesting read nonetheless.

Comparing Rock Band:Lego to the mobile or PSP titles seems a little short sighted at worst or simply un_fact_checked at best.

It was a solid stand alone title that likely reached many would be Rock Band players via a family friendly franchise (Lego) that may have NOT been reached otherwise.

But it is Monday morning and they big game has been played so there is not too much point in over speculating I suppose.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited September 2013
    While there were a couple underwhelming parts in terms of facts (for example, Activision didn't publish the original Guitar Hero game), that was still a pretty cool overview. I'd never heard of the "singing guitar solos" idea before. I'm glad that never made it in. Singers will sing to guitar solos even without asking them to - no need to encourage that behavior! Come on, shut up and let the guitarist shine for 20 seconds!
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    It didn't need to be in the game, but I think I would love to sing (humm?) along with the guitar parts. I'm still confused whenever the "freestyle" section comes up on vocals in Guitar Hero, I should probably read the directions.

Interesting article, but yeah that Lego RB comment struck me as crazy too, I wish someone would fix that error.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    Doc_SoCal;5033247 said:
    Comparing Rock Band:Lego to the mobile or PSP titles seems a little short sighted at worst or simply un_fact_checked at best.

I think the Lego quote: [Spinoffs...] "Regardless of their quality, ultimately diluted Rock Band's cultrual currency." is a perfectly logical conclusion, and does lump Lego in with all the other games including PSP titles and mobiles correctly.

No matter how you felt about Lego, it was another spinoff drawing attention at a point in time when the industry was already recieving criticism for flooding the market.