Christian RockBand

squatchsquatch Unsigned
edited September 2013 in Your Ultimate Setlist
Though this may not appeal to everyone, lets face it... most of the RockBand games have a number of songs that no one has ever heard of. By creating a Christian Rock Rockband, not only would it appeal to the mom's and dad's for their children, but those of us who enjoy rocking out, would LOVE a chance to send some praise to the Man upstairs at the same time. I would be willing to pay a decent amount of money (more than the usual game cost) for a game such as this.

Comments

• TheBonobo4TheBonobo4 Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    I don't like this idea at all. I can't imagine there are enough Christians out there who are also avid Rock Band players, and even then whether they'd be willing to buy a new game with just those songs is debatable. So very few would buy it, and it would not be worthwhile nor profitable. And for those of us who aren't Christian, or even the non-religious of us, they'd have no reason to buy it. So it only caters for a very small minority of people.
    rkbdgurl;5033584 said:
    This has been an ongoing discussion for as long as RB has been around. There have actually been some Christian Rock band copycat games out there, for pc, but I don't know if they're even still around. Highly doubtful. I'm pretty sure if there were a real market for a Christian RB, there would've been one. The good news is there are several Christian bands in Rockband. You should check em out. :)
    There's a difference between a Christian Rock Band, and a Christian Rock Rock Band. Christian Rock in itself is a genre, whilst anyone can be Christian and in a Rock Band. ;)
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    ...Hi bon. I understand the difference, though I may not have been clear in my comments. I believe RB has a little of both kinds in it. Imo, if a song by a Christian band becomes a hit, and has crossed over into the mainstream of rock music, it's as worthy of being in RB as any other song. Good music is good music. People don't necessarily have to agree on the message. That said, I do agree with you on the fact that there is no market for a special edition, and at this point, hmx already has 4,000 songs it still needs to sell. :D
    edited September 2013
    What I meant was, is that Dave Mustaine is a Christian, a strong one, but Megadeth is far from "Christian Rock", but rather it is a genre in itself. Christian Rock is just that, rock music of a Christian nature. Just because it's by a Christian does not make it Christian Rock. True though that good music is good music, regardless of belief or non belief, or who wrote it. Hope that helps. :)
    edited September 2013
    Well yeah...Dave Mustaine, Megadeth. lol.
  • XxTheWhopperxXXxTheWhopperxX Unsigned
    edited September 2013
    While I do see your point this idea is still bad. There are other people out there who play these games that believe in different religions and it would be offensive if they made a game based off that one religion and didn't include other religions.

Another issue would be a very small variety of music. Plus there are already some Christian rock bands in Rock Band already!
    edited September 2013
    There are other people out there who play these games that believe in different religions and it would be offensive if they made a game based off that one religion and didn't include other religions.
    Very true. Does anyone here fancy playing Muslim Rock Band? ;)
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    If I could export Christian Rock Band and it had some Norma Jean, Creed, Skillet, and Kutless then sure I would get it but as a general idea, it would be a failure from the ground up.
  • elvisfan15elvisfan15 Unsigned
    edited September 2013
    I think this is a great idea. In my opinion, this would not only be popular with christian rock fans, but also with Rock Band fans. After all, there hasn't been a new game in three years-besides RB Blitz.
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    elvisfan15;5033678 said:
    I think this is a great idea. In my opinion, this would not only be popular with christian rock fans, but also with Rock Band fans. After all, there hasn't been a new game in three years-besides RB Blitz.
    I am a Rock Band fan and I would be extremely disappointed with Harmonix if they chose to revive the Rock Band series only to squander their resources on such a game. The good news (hah!) is, it obviously won't happen.

Furthermore, Christian rock is not a "genre." Differentiations in musical genres are based on sound and instrumentation. With Christian rock, it's about the beliefs of the artists and perhaps lyrical content. I would categorize it more as a marketing ploy.

Last but not least: Dave Mustaine is a racist imbecile and a fan of a particular 2012 presidential candidate who I consider an outright fascist. Had I known about some of the vile hogwash that he believes, I never would have purchased the three downloadable Megadeth songs in my library.
    edited September 2013
    Numskull;5033705 said:
    Dave Mustaine is a racist imbecile and a fan of a particular 2012 presidential candidate who I consider an outright fascist. Had I known about some of the vile hogwash that he believes, I never would have purchased the three downloadable Megadeth songs in my library.
    Whilst I agree completely, I still really like Megadeth so I bought the songs. In my opinion, it's about the music and not the beliefs of the artists. But, I could never like Christian music or Christian Rock, because I'm not a Christian, so the lyrics are going against my belief system. You may think so what? Just get over it! But it does greatly affect my liking of a song if I dislike the lyrical content.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited September 2013
    squatch;5033524 said:
    Though this may not appeal to everyone, lets face it... most of the RockBand games have a number of songs that no one has ever heard of. By creating a Christian Rock Rockband, not only would it appeal to the mom's and dad's for their children, but those of us who enjoy rocking out, would LOVE a chance to send some praise to the Man upstairs at the same time. I would be willing to pay a decent amount of money (more than the usual game cost) for a game such as this.

The RB library has tons of Christian music available already (more than a games worth probably), I suggest you download those as there are plenty to choose from.
    Whilst I agree completely, I still really like Megadeth so I bought the songs. In my opinion, it's about the music and not the beliefs of the artists. But, I could never like Christian music or Christian Rock, because I'm not a Christian, so the lyrics are going against my belief system. You may think so what? Just get over it! But it does greatly affect my liking of a song if I dislike the lyrical content.
    Amen to that, I've always believed that music has no religion. Mustaine's a nutcase, but that won't stop me from enjoying Rust In Peace.

Only when the lyrics get too preachy, which is rare but it happens, then I just won't listen to it. Most of the Christian artists I listen to keep 'the man in the sky' references to a minimum and I actually tend to really like a lot of them in turn.
    edited September 2013
    Numskull;5033705 said:
    I am a Rock Band fan and I would be extremely disappointed with Harmonix if they chose to revive the Rock Band series only to squander their resources on such a game. The good news (hah!) is, it obviously won't happen.
    Well, what Rock Band game would you like to see Harmonix make?
    edited September 2013
    Personally, I'd like either another (exportable) Band specific game, but then you'd need a band with a lot of music that many people like, and doing so is very hard. Or, a genre specific game but with many bands, like Prog Rock or Heavy Metal, with 50 songs by 50 different artists (a few repeats would be fine like 2 songs by the same band). Or, just get HMX to keep releasing new music or stuff by bands already in RB.
    edited September 2013
    Setting aside our religious and political differences, I think we can all agree that we'd like to see a New Rock Band game. Maybe HMX could include a little bit of everything (now, there's a novel idea.) ...They could call it Rock Band 4... or, The Definitive Rock Band. :D
    edited September 2013
    My idea of a new Rock Band game would likely be bought by very few people. But I'd love it of course. ;)
    edited September 2013
    elvisfan15;5033757 said:
    Well, what Rock Band game would you like to see Harmonix make?
    You say that like I've just shot down a whole bunch of different ideas instead of just one. Like most people, I would simply like to have a Rock Band 4 with a good mixture of artists and the same style of gameplay we know and love, with RB3's kinks ironed out. I know it's unlikely at this point, but it's a lot more realistic than a Christian Rock Band game.
    edited September 2013
    Mega-Tallica;5033716 said:
    Amen to that, I've always believed that music has no religion. Mustaine's a nutcase, but that won't stop me from enjoying Rust In Peace.
    He's not just a nutcase. He's an outright bigot. There are certain things that people can believe which revoke their right to be treated with any respect whatsoever.
    edited September 2013
    Numskull;5033775 said:
    You say that like I've just shot down a whole bunch of different ideas instead of just one. Like most people, I would simply like to have a Rock Band 4 with a good mixture of artists and the same style of gameplay we know and love, with RB3's kinks ironed out. I know it's unlikely at this point, but it's a lot more realistic than a Christian Rock Band game.
    I did not mean it like that. I was asking you sincerely. Also, what kinks did RB3 have?
  • LandfishLandfish Unsigned
    edited September 2013
    Here's the problem though, my friend:

You make a christian rock band, and then all the jewish and muslim folk are going to freak out that there aren't muslim and jewish songs (other than that Barenaked Ladies hannakuh song lol) in Rock Band. It'll become this big political/equality issue over a video game and just a massive headache.
    edited September 2013
    elvisfan15;5033779 said:
    I did not mean it like that. I was asking you sincerely. Also, what kinks did RB3 have?

XMB kicks, random freezes, two band members occupying the same physical space, sloppy drummer animation, invisible leaderboard information on the results screen, and dizzying psychedelic backgrounds that actively work against the player.

Also, I hate the on-disc setlist. But that's not a "kink."
    edited September 2013
    Landfish;5033780 said:
    Here's the problem though, my friend:

You make a christian rock band, and then all the jewish and muslim folk are going to freak out that there aren't muslim and jewish songs (other than that Barenaked Ladies hannakuh song lol) in Rock Band. It'll become this big political/equality issue over a video game and just a massive headache.

If I were more sensitive on religious matters, I would find this statement offensive. If Harmonix were to demonstrate such unsound judgment as to make a Christian Rock Band game, there would certainly be some grumbling from other quarters. But, to say ALL the Jewish and Muslim folk...and those aren't the only other religions, by the way...would "freak out" and cause a "massive headache" is basically portraying them as a childish mob acting with a single mind. You're attaching far too much significance to a theoretical product which will never exist.
  • BVP2K10BVP2K10 Opening Act
    edited September 2013
    There are more than enough Christians in the world to justify such a product, except (and this is a major caveat) for the fact that only a very small percentage of Christians listen to "Christian Rock".
    edited September 2013
    I don't think it would sell all that well, but for people complaining about a select audience, have you never heard of a niche market? "Christians" is not exactly a small market anyway.

I suppose you PC fascists oppose the idea of stores selling a Bible? Stores in the "West" don't sell comparable texts from every other religion in the world. If there's a large enough market for something, someone will make money catering to that market.
    edited September 2013
    TheBonobo4;5033611 said:
    I don't like this idea at all. I can't imagine there are enough Christians out there who are also avid Rock Band players ...

And for those of us who aren't Christian, or even the non-religious of us, they'd have no reason to buy it. So it only caters for a very small minority of people.

Roughly 75% of people in the U.S. and Europe identify themselves as Christian. Those regions likely make up the vast majority of sales for Rock Band.

I agree that the percentage who listen to "Christian Rock" is small and so it would likely not be a good seller.
  • MarkthegreatMarkthegreat Unsigned
    edited September 2013
    elvisfan15;5033678 said:
    ditto awesome idea. i think this would sell to more people than they realize..
    edited September 2013
    Now hold on, I never said I was against people selling bibles or amything of the sort. But I am highly opposed to the idea of a game with nothing but Christian rock music. Like I've said before I would not buy it, fair enough if others wanted to, but I'd feel a bit insulted if it were released. And I'd imagine people of a non Christian belief system would likely feel a bit annoyed by it as well. So what I am saying is, either you release no religious games or you release one for all religions. Otherwise it's as though you're acting like Christianity is the only religion out there.
    edited September 2013
    BVP2K10;5033800 said:
    Stores in the "West" don't sell comparable texts from every other religion in the world.

This comment leads me to believe that you have never actually been in a real book store.
    BVP2K10;5033800 said:
    I suppose you PC fascists oppose the idea of stores selling a Bible?
    And this comment leads me to believe that conversing with you is a complete waste of time.
    edited September 2013
    Even though I'm a non Christian, I think everyone should read the religious books, and not just the Bible, because then they will know what those books truly teach and contain. So no, I think stores should sell them, and most shops I know of do sell comparative texts.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited September 2013
    Numskull;5033776 said:
    He's not just a nutcase. He's an outright bigot. There are certain things that people can believe which revoke their right to be treated with any respect whatsoever.
    Nutcase, bigot... doesn't make a difference to me as far as the music he's made in the past is concerned (strongly emphasize "past"). As a person, I've lost all respect for him a long time ago and his nonsensical rants he does have become quite funny to me because it really doesn't matter what he thinks.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited September 2013
    I have a feeling this thread might soon be locked if it devolves much further... So why not? I can't personally think of any other religion that has a "rock" (or other) music clasification like "Christian Rock" (maybe someone can point some out in here?)... One thing is for certain though, Christianity is the best religion for turning every opportunity available into a marketing or commercial venture.