Return of Blitz Tournaments?

Ketchupyoshi57Ketchupyoshi57 Unsigned
edited October 2013 in Rock Band Blitz
I just went on Rock Band World and saw this. Is this a sign that Blitz tournaments are coming back or is this just a glitch? I would love for a new set of tournaments to bring back the competitive Rock Band Blitz community, but it seems rather strange that this would just show up randomly. Anyone else seeing this?

EDIT: It appears to be legit. The song is Afterlife by Avenged Sevenfold. Top five players get 5 DLC codes and a copy of Avenged Sevenfold's newest CD. Seems like a good deal.

Comments

• zage1337zage1337 Rising Star
    edited September 2013
    US only again..oh well i already posted a score. Too tired to play atm

I'll try to post a better score when someone beats it(probably you ketchup)
  • dudemann14dudemann14 Rising Star
    edited September 2013
    Cool to see they're bringing the tournaments back and giving cool prizes. It's a shame that I currently can't attempt to participate in this one as I have to have my Xbox in storage at the moment, but good luck to everyone who can! Hope they continue to bring out more tournaments as time goes on.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 2013
    Nice find, HMX did say they were organizing an A7X giveaway. This works out even better as the Blitz tournaments were fun and the epic battles between Zagesaw, Ketchupyoshi, Magnet and Malkierking :D
    edited September 2013
    it's a shame that the game and community has gone into the Afterlife..

I'd be surprised if even 30 people put up scores for the song this week.
  • grace_pressuregrace_pressure Opening Act
    edited September 2013
    Is it confirmed that all of the top five win an album?
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 2013
    grace_pressure;5033692 said:
    Is it confirmed that all of the top five win an album?

The tournament rules state that there are 10 winners, top 5 on the tournament and 5 randomly chosen people not in the top 5. All 10 winners get 5 $2 codes (360 or PS3) and 1 signed copy of A7X's latest album "Hail to the King".
  • edited September 2013
    This is a legit Blitz tournament, but it's likely not going to be something we can do with any regularity. The stars aligned surrounding the Blitz anniversary a few weeks ago and Avenged Sevenfold's interest in doing something. We're always happy to do cool giveaways when bands take an interest like this, but we are also plenty busy promoting other games and working on things behind the scenes.

Good luck!
  • Ketchupyoshi57Ketchupyoshi57 Unsigned
    edited September 2013
    Well, it's awesome that tournaments are at least something that can be done again. I had a lot of fun with the original series of tournaments and it's good to have one again.

Now that the Xbox Marketplace is back up, I'll sightread Afterlife later and see what I can do with it. This should be an interesting battle.

EDIT: Rock Band Blitz: Afterlife 1441k, #1 cross-platform [TOURNAMENT SCORE]
    edited September 2013
    I don't even know what to say anymore. This game is fundamentally broken.

No matter how good you are at keeping note streaks on multiple instruments at once, it can always be beaten by brute force spamming. Even if you can juggle literally everything, Flame Notes have to spawn in the correct places for you to get a high score. If you don't get lucky Flame Note spawns, you just have to keep on restarting the song until you do. This causes you to run out of coins, meaning that you have to spend hours doing Synchrony-only runs of short songs to play the game again.

I have about 600 plays on two 30-second RBN songs (!I and SEX) from grinding coins. If you do the math, I have wasted 5 hours of my life just on that. PS3 players don't even have access to those songs, so it takes them longer to earn the ability to play again after having a run get completely ruined by bad luck. There have been times on shorter songs where I chose Flame Notes and not a single one spawned during the whole song. At least when I choose Pinball Notes, I will see one spawn eventually without relying so much on luck.

I don't think MagnetRP's score is the problem here, just a symptom of the problem. If there was a maximum amount of notes before a forced Flame Note spawn like there is with Pinball (as I have extensively tested in !I and Moonlight Sonata), it would be much less frustrating to deal with the coin system. If Blitz Mode was actually worth a significant amount of points (which I've argued for multiple times), top scores wouldn't be the result of spamming the controller.

I'm frustrated mainly becase I know these issues will never be fixed due to Harmonix's limited resources and Rock Band Blitz's constantly shrinking playerbase. At some point in the future, I predict that someone will invest in a turbo controller and get #1 in every Bandmate/Flame oriented song, even the ones that are beyond human ability. When played legitimately, Bandmate/Flame juggling is a fun and challenging way to get top scores. The same thing goes for Pinball and the very small set of songs where Blast Notes reign supreme. Unfortunately, coin grinding due to bad luck and the potential of abuse due to Blitz Mode being worthless really make it hard to be a competitive player these days.

Anyway, I'm done ranting about this. Congratulations to MagnetRP for winning the tournament. I'm going to go do something else now.
    edited September 2013
    This is Magnet's post in the old MasterMO thread.
    Magnet;4939710 said:
    After some testing, I believe it's true that your scores are "legitimate," and I can duplicate/better some of the outrageous scores you get. However, that doesn't make the scores any less cheap given the method being used. You say cheating the leaderboards would be no fun, yet I'm not sure how using this exploit (yes, it's clearly an exploit) to top the leaderboards is any different. After testing a few songs, I'm certainly not going to continue using the exploit, and I'll let you keep the number one spot for whatever songs you played this way since there's no value or accomplishment in getting #1 when you have to use an exploit like that.
    Your recent score of 1,475,817 on Afterlife during the last few hours of the Tournament says otherwise. Congratulations on winning the tournament. Now did you get any satisfaction from that? The 5th place score before you posted was below 800k. I'm sure you were capable of getting a score to win the CD and DLC codes legitimately so what was your incentive of cheating the tournament board? I think you have proven your point that all top scores can be beaten with button mashing like you said in both the MasterMo thread and the What Happened to Flame Notes thread and in the Scorehero league thread. There was no need for this.

KetchupYoshi57 is the winner in my opinion.
    edited September 2013
    The same goes for me, unless Magnet can prove with footage that he can play at that level without using the exploit.
  • Ed_DoughEd_Dough Unsigned
    edited September 2013
    Man, I was only ever good at Jack/Flame, and this was the first tournament I could actually stand a chance in. Still got top 10, I think, but still...you guys are crazy.

Also, my score was 774,000ish, so if the next score above mine was still under 800,000...I could have totally gotten top 5. Darn.
  • malkierikingmalkieriking Unsigned
    edited September 2013
    That score that would be top 5 (among eligible people) was me. I wish I could've put more effort in, but I didn't really get a chance. I was only able to SR the song on a TV that I had never played on before that ended up having a large calibration number. I probably could've gotten a million with pinball relatively easily, but never really got a chance to try. Good job Ketchup, the true winner of the tournament, and thanks to both Harmonix for continuing to support Blitz and Avenged Sevenfold for the tournament sponsorship.
  • TheInsaneSamuraiTheInsaneSamurai Unsigned
    edited September 2013
    Ah I see, and I was thinking it was all pinball. A long time ago I told them about this, and they ignored it cause nobody did it yet. Then they buffed synchrony :P

So basically the best ways to get scores are now 2 things that have nothing to do with playing the actual song?
    edited September 2013
    TheInsaneSamurai;5034620 said:
    So basically the best ways to get scores are now 2 things that have nothing to do with playing the actual song?
    Yes and no. I'm assuming you're referring to Pinball/Synchrony and Bandmate/Flame here, and both of them when played properly have a lot to do with playing the song. However, one strategy often encourages missing notes and the other can be abused by spamming the controller like a madman.

When using Pinball/Synchrony, the only time that you're truly ignoring notes is when the pinball speeds up beyond the point where it's possible to focus on hitting notes. Synchrony requires precise lane changing on each measure of the song as you're hitting the notes outside of those lane changes. Most of the time, the tiebreakers between two equally strong pinball runs are hitting more notes and timing Synchrony better. Pinball may give you the majority of your points, but you are at an extreme disadvantage at best if you don't play the song.

Bandmate/Flame can go either way with the current way that the game is designed. At its best, it requires playing the song much more than any other strategy in the game. You have to be able to play a note on one track, switch lanes, then play the note next to it on the other track all in one split-second movement within the timing window (otherwise known as "juggling") for extended periods of time. To put things into perspective, it took several months for me to reach MasterM0's level and several months once again to refine his strategy and master his technique.

However, Bandmate/Flame has a dark side. It is possible to mash all of the buttons like a maniac to hit every note in sections that wouldn't normally be possible to juggle. Flame Notes don't care how many times you overhit, only that you're hitting the notes that the flames are spreading to. The result of this is that it's possible to do the equivalent of getting 100% on Eye of the Tiger on Expert Guitar by just spamming the strum bar and holding the correct fret buttons the whole song. It's impossible to fail songs in Blitz and the penalty for not having Blitz mode isn't enough to counteract the points gained from spamming the controller. Instead of spending several months mastering a technique, you can get #1 scores in a few minutes by button mashing.

Most top players that I've seen go by an honor system when it comes to Bandmate/Flame. I have yet to see a Bandmate/Flame score posted that isn't possible to beat with legitimate juggling (even Magnet's Afterlife score), but I recognize that someone could easily abuse this strategy and dishonorably ruin the leaderboards. I will always play honorably to the best of my ability, and you can find over 100 Blitz videos on my Youtube channel that show that I never intentionally spam my controller on entire songs just to get top scores.

I hope this answers your question.
  • TheInsaneSamuraiTheInsaneSamurai Unsigned
    edited September 2013
    Ketchupyoshi57;5034648 said:
    Yes and no. I'm assuming you're referring to Pinball/Synchrony and Bandmate/Flame here, and both of them when played properly have a lot to do with playing the song. However, one strategy often encourages missing notes and the other can be abused by spamming the controller like a madman.

When using Pinball/Synchrony, the only time that you're truly ignoring notes is when the pinball speeds up beyond the point where it's possible to focus on hitting notes. Synchrony requires precise lane changing on each measure of the song as you're hitting the notes outside of those lane changes. Most of the time, the tiebreakers between two equally strong pinball runs are hitting more notes and timing Synchrony better. Pinball may give you the majority of your points, but you are at an extreme disadvantage at best if you don't play the song.

Bandmate/Flame can go either way with the current way that the game is designed. At its best, it requires playing the song much more than any other strategy in the game. You have to be able to play a note on one track, switch lanes, then play the note next to it on the other track all in one split-second movement within the timing window (otherwise known as "juggling") for extended periods of time. To put things into perspective, it took several months for me to reach MasterM0's level and several months once again to refine his strategy and master his technique.

However, Bandmate/Flame has a dark side. It is possible to mash all of the buttons like a maniac to hit every note in sections that wouldn't normally be possible to juggle. Flame Notes don't care how many times you overhit, only that you're hitting the notes that the flames are spreading to. The result of this is that it's possible to do the equivalent of getting 100% on Eye of the Tiger on Expert Guitar by just spamming the strum bar and holding the correct fret buttons the whole song. It's impossible to fail songs in Blitz and the penalty for not having Blitz mode isn't enough to counteract the points gained from spamming the controller. Instead of spending several months mastering a technique, you can get #1 scores in a few minutes by button mashing.

Most top players that I've seen go by an honor system when it comes to Bandmate/Flame. I have yet to see a Bandmate/Flame score posted that isn't possible to beat with legitimate juggling (even Magnet's Afterlife score), but I recognize that someone could easily abuse this strategy and dishonorably ruin the leaderboards. I will always play honorably to the best of my ability, and you can find over 100 Blitz videos on my Youtube channel that show that I never intentionally spam my controller on entire songs just to get top scores.

I hope this answers your question.

Yeah that pretty much covers it, thanks :) The part that really bothers me is the points that can be gained from not playing the song. Like with Pinball, sure the points from the notes will help you beat someone else who pinballed but when the song itself is basically a side note to the pinball points, that doesn't seem like what the game was supposed to be. Same goes for the mashing, if someone just holds some buttons on a rapid fire controller and swaps back and forth like a madman, I feel like they're not playing the song either, even if the points do come from the notes.

I used to play a ton, and when I'd check out the leaderboards I could at least see reasonably where the big scores were coming from. It was fun to pick a song from time to time and experiment to get as close to the top as I could, and the most abnormal feeling thing was learning to hit two adjacent notes at the same time. Now it's nonsensical. Stuff that used to have a guy at #1 that was sorta far from the pack is now getting doubled by the few who choose to abuse(well, I'm not sure if its abuse but if sure feels like it) the system, and entering a tournament seems pointless if people are just going to do those things. I guess at this point not much can(or will) be done, but it sure was alot more fun when playing the song and figuring out combinations based on the music was the priority.

If there is a chance to patch anything, maybe extremely upping the bonus for blitz mode would help.
    edited October 2013
    Have any winners been contacted? Just curious, haven't heard from HMX yet.
    edited October 2013
    I haven't heard anything either.
  • edited October 2013
    Winners haven't been contacted yet. We're having some trouble with the back end Tournament tools and hope to have it fixed soon.
    edited October 2013
    grace_pressure;5035318 said:
    Have any winners been contacted? Just curious, haven't heard from HMX yet.
    Ketchupyoshi57;5035346 said:
    I haven't heard anything either.

At least you guys WILL be contacted and get a A7X CD :(
    edited October 2013
    Very fast response Henry, thanks!
  • athl_latinathl_latin Unsigned
    edited October 2013
    TheInsaneSamurai;5034712 said:
    Yeah that pretty much covers it, thanks :) The part that really bothers me is the points that can be gained from not playing the song. Like with Pinball, sure the points from the notes will help you beat someone else who pinballed but when the song itself is basically a side note to the pinball points, that doesn't seem like what the game was supposed to be.

I don't understand when people say that using pinball or 'juggling' is "not playing the song" or "that's not the way the game was supposed to be". From day one the game was advertised as a point game not a hit-all-the-notes game. They wouldn't have added pinball to the game otherwise. When the game first came out I remember this posting from a kid who was complaining because the game has random placing of purple notes. In his mind the game was supposed to be the same every run so he can memorize a pattern and get good at it that way. The game wasn't design that way (it's not Rock Band). It's a different kind of game and we should embraced it as such.

I used to hate Pinball at first and discover that flame notes will give me a better score than blast or runaway notes. So I tried to get better at flame notes. Then the nerf and the first tournaments happened. I wasn't able to get to my old scores so I was sort of forced to try Pinball again. It's been a great thing for my hyperactive personality. Now I need to control a crazy bouncing ball while hitting notes and switch lanes in time to get the synchrony points. Plus trying to get to the lanes with the white notes all at he same time. The game for me is different than Rock Band and trying to make it a hit-all-notes game just kills the fun. I just hope that one day I can master the 'juggling' technique too so I can use flames to get an alternative way to have crazy runs with a different power up. Right now my scores are a little better using Pinball so I prefer that for the time being.

Don't get me wrong I still think that spamming the controller is not cool. Most of us know that a better score for Blitz Mode will prevent that and at the same time it won't hurt the people playing Pinball or juggling Flame Notes the way the designers intended.
  • malkierikingmalkieriking Unsigned
    edited October 2013
    It's been a little over a month since the tournament ended, has there been any progress in fixing the system to contact winners?