Hey, HMXhenry: WHAT IS UP WITH RBN???

Hey all,

Lately I've been getting a lot of questions about the current status of RBN. A few of the most recent threads in this sub forum are "RBN bites the dust?" and "Has RBN Shut Down?" so I wanted to take a moment to weigh in on what's up at the moment.

First and foremost, there are server issues complicating the release of tracks released via RBN. There are 6 tracks that should have been released to the store ("Republic of Gamers", "Humanoid", "The Modern Prometheus", "Thirteen", "Spark of Life" and "Wake Up") that have been held up because of these issues.

Secondly, timing has most definitely worked against us and made a fix that much more difficult. Summer is our busiest event season (E3, D23, Gamescom, Best Buy Managers Convention, PAX all hit in rapid succession) which has meant we haven't been as available to respond to concerns as we normally would. Microsoft has also made several major changes to their store infrastructure in recent weeks, primarily the roll over from MSP to $, so it hasn't been clear which issues could be on their side, as tracks haven't been propping to Xbox.com properly either. On top of all that, our Web / LiveOps team, the folks that would normally be investigating server issues like this, have been working diligently on several urgent site updates that have demanded their full attention.

I know that releases haven't been as consistent or as bountiful as some of you would have liked this summer, but there are still a number of authoring groups submitting and reviewing new songs, I'm still tracking rights approvals as they come in, and we hope to identify the cause of these server issues soon now that we're back in the office and able to dig in with the Web / LiveOps team. We may have to ping Microsoft for additional support, and we may end up reaching out to registered members of Creators for more information, but we'll keep plugging away until we know more.

Thanks to all the authors and testers for your patience. You can trust that I am equally frustrated seeing these songs sitting in limbo. And thanks as well to the members of the community that are still supporting RBN, asking about new tracks, checking the forums to see what groups are working on, requesting specific artists, purchasing and playing RBN tracks in game, etc. It's great to see that there is still an interest in the community for more RBN content and I hope to have better news for you shortly.

I'll leave this thread open for any questions or comments and will start redirecting other threads here so we can keep everything organized in one place.

-HMXhenry

***10/3 UPDATE***

Okay, so here's a bit more info for all y'all.

"The Modern Prometheus", "Spark of Life", and "Thirteen", 3 songs that had been stuck in between Creators and the store for quite some time, should all be available for purchase right now. There were a number of issues to resolve, but thanks to the help of 2 Senior Systems administrators, a Software Developer, the Live Ops Director, our VP Online, former RBN lead HMXMisterGame and a partridge in a pear tree, it looks like we've got the kinks ironed out. As members of the RBN Creators community continue to work on new tracks and they make their way through the pipeline, we'll monitor the process to confirm that everything is working as intended so we can avoid further delays like this.

However, "Humanoid" and "Wake Up" are listed in the store as Not Available. Everything looks solid on our end, and the flip we switched to get the other 3 songs pushed through should have worked on these 2 as well. Neither of them are showing up on Xbox.com, so this may be an issue on Microsoft's side, so we're going to reach out to them and the authoring groups for next steps.

Hopefully this gets things back on track for RBN. Thanks to everyone for your continued patience. I'll follow up when I know more about the last 2 tracks stuck in limbo, and as songs progress through the pipeline.

Comments

• RockBandForUKRockBandForUK Rising Star
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the response. A list of available author groups would've been handy!

Is it possible to get my track submitted anywhere?!
  • edited September 2013
    RockBandForUK;5034825 said:
    Thanks for the response. A list of available author groups would've been handy!

Is it possible to get my track submitted anywhere?!

There's a stickied thread of all authoring groups on the front page of this sub forum:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156832

As to which ones are actively accepting submissions, you'd have to ask them. We don't manage the authoring groups so we don't have any greater insight into their workload than you do. Your best bet is to keep asking on the forums or keep an eye out for new releases and see which groups are behind them.
  • jbillytntjbillytnt Unsigned
    edited September 2013
    Thank you so much for clearing up all the confusion!
  • SideshowNSideshowN Rising Star
    edited September 2013
    Our wallets are waiting.
  • ZenzukiZenzuki Unsigned
    edited September 2013
    SideshowN;5034850 said:
    Our wallets are waiting.

^ This..... So much this!!!
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    Thanks, Henry! Great to hear this hasn't gone ignored.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited September 2013
    TAG teased Sub Pop artists. I need those oh-so-badly. Also, Sublime. Or at least "Date Rape". Also teased. Please. Thank you. Okay cool. Long live RBN.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited September 2013
    TheStuddz;5035149 said:
    TAG teased Sub Pop artists. I need those oh-so-badly. Also, Sublime. Or at least "Date Rape". Also teased. Please. Thank you. Okay cool. Long live RBN.

I also wanted to see some of those other artists like In Flames, the 2 A7X songs, and Children of Bodom as well.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited September 2013
    I really hope the RBN will pick up again... I miss getting so many awesome songs
    edited October 2013
    I noticed 4 songs got added to the in game store yesterday. Still cant buy SOIL "Wake Up".
  • edited October 2013
    SideshowN;5035435 said:
    I noticed 4 songs got added to the in game store yesterday. Still cant buy SOIL "Wake Up".

We're getting there! It's a huge step in the right direction. Will post an update shortly.
    edited October 2013
    SideshowN;5035435 said:

I must get points now...

I am so happy to hear some of the songs are now in the store
  • edited October 2013
    Okay, so here's a bit more info for all y'all.

"The Modern Prometheus", "Spark of Life", and "Thirteen", 3 songs that had been stuck in between Creators and the store for quite some time, should all be available for purchase right now. There were a number of issues to resolve, but thanks to the help of 2 Senior Systems administrators, a Software Developer, the Live Ops Director, our VP Online, and a partridge in a pear tree, it looks like we've got the kinks ironed out. As members of the RBN Creators community continue to work on new tracks and they make their way through the pipeline, we'll monitor the process to confirm that everything is working as intended so we can avoid further delays like this.

However, "Humanoid" and "Wake Up" are listed in the store as Not Available. Everything looks solid on our end, and the flip we switched to get the other 3 songs pushed through should have worked on these 2 as well. Neither of them are showing up on Xbox.com, so this may be an issue on Microsoft's side, so we're going to reach out to them and the authoring groups for next steps.

Hopefully this gets things back on track for RBN. Thanks to everyone for your continued patience. I'll follow up when I know more about the last 2 tracks stuck in limbo, and as songs progress through the pipeline.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited October 2013
    Great start with fixing things. Can't wait to buy more songs!

What about Republic of Gamers?
  • RA-elxRA-elx Unsigned
    edited October 2013
    grumblevolcano;5035458 said:
    Great start with fixing things. Can't wait to buy more songs!

What about Republic of Gamers?
    Due to the length of time this was having issues, and the fact that those issues precluded everything being busted, we pulled it down awhile back and are resubmitting it through the process.
    edited October 2013
    Great to see that progress is being made. Thanks Harmonix!
    edited October 2013
    RA-elx;5035461 said:
    Due to the length of time this was having issues, and the fact that those issues precluded everything being busted, we pulled it down awhile back and are resubmitting it through the process.

Thanks for the quick response :)
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited October 2013
    hmxhenry;5035457 said:
    Okay, so here's a bit more info for all y'all...

I just wanted to comment - great job on proper placement of the apostrophe in the contraction of "you" with "all" as "y'all". However, just FYI, the "all" in front is a little redundant. But, seeing as you live in Boston, I know this is somewhat unfamiliar territory for you, so I'm happy to see you took the time to research the correct usage of the contraction at least prior to posting. You don't know how upsetting it is for southerners to see the improper "ya'll" that is so often mistakenly used. It would be like me saying "wicked" without an adjective immediately after it. Sheesh.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited October 2013
    BachiG;5035467 said:
    I just wanted to comment - great job on proper placement of the apostrophe in the contraction of "you" with "all" as "y'all". However, just FYI, the "all" in front is a little redundant.
    And you call yourself a Southerner?

Remember, "y'all" is singular, "all y'all" is plural.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited October 2013
    BachiG;5035467 said:
    However, just FYI, the "all" in front is a little redundant.
    I've visited southern states before and I'm pretty sure "all y'all" is the equivalent of "all of you all."
    FujiSkunk;5035475 said:
    Remember, "y'all" is singular, "all y'all" is plural.
    From what I understand, "y'all" can be used to address one person or multiple people, although originally it would be more likely to have been used in the plural sense.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited October 2013
    raynebc;5035477 said:
    From what I understand, "y'all" can be used to address one person or multiple people, although originally it would be more likely to have been used in the plural sense.
    It's a bit of a joke, but... heck, I better let this guy explain it.
  • SNKAllenSNKAllen Unsigned
    edited October 2013
    It's good to see new RBN songs coming out again. "The Spark of Life" is still unable to be purchased but I'll try again tomorrow.
    edited October 2013
    yeah I can't purchase The Spark of Life either... when I hit download it says the song is free
  • edited October 2013
    SNKAllen;5035482 said:
    It's good to see new RBN songs coming out again. "The Spark of Life" is still unable to be purchased but I'll try again tomorrow.
    firedoom666;5035512 said:
    yeah I can't purchase The Spark of Life either... when I hit download it says the song is free
    Thanks for flagging this. To clarify, the track does show up in the store for 160 MSP, but when you click on it the price changes to 0 MSP and you're no longer able to purchase, correct?

It's not displaying correctly on Xbox.com either, so this is likely a Microsoft issue. I'll flag to them ASAP.
    edited October 2013
    hmxhenry;5035549 said:
    Thanks for flagging this. To clarify, the track does show up in the store for 160 MSP, but when you click on it the price changes to 0 MSP and you're no longer able to purchase, correct?

Yes, the price changes to "free" like with RBN songs during the update beta.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited October 2013
    SNKAllen;5035482 said:
    It's good to see new RBN songs coming out again.
    SNKAllen;5035482 said:
    SNKAllen;5035482 said:

Quoted multiple times because it's important :) But nobody has updated the New Releases thread so I didn't know :( If someone would be so kind... I'm away from my box for a while so cant check.
  • BongOfDestinySHBongOfDestinySH Unsigned
    edited October 2013
    http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/en-US/offers/800011c9-0000-4000-8000-000045410914

Wake Up shows no price on xbox.com, just like The Spark Of Life. Also weirdly enough it has a RB2 icon instead of RB3, despite the URL denoting that it's for RB3. Also it doesn't show up on the marketplace or xbox.com, you can only access it by URL.

Wake Up and Spark having the same pricing issues as the rest of RBN during the beta makes me think that whatever fix Microsoft used during the beta only applied to songs that were already on the marketplace, and not towards new content.
  • CyberTootieCyberTootie Unsigned
    edited October 2013
    "Guitar Sound" by Ronald Jenkees is showing in RB2 as free and attempting to purchase nets error "There are no items available for purchase at this time." and sends you back to RB2 main menu with message "You have lost connection to Xbox LIVE..."
  • DavidTLynchEsqDavidTLynchEsq Opening Act
    edited October 2013
    That song shouldn't show up at all; it was taken down many moons ago.