RockBand 4!

Expert_vocalistExpert_vocalist Unsigned
edited November 2013 in Rock Band
Harmonix said that if enough people tell them to make a RockBand 4 they will.

there is 2.7 million people on facebook that likes RockBand, I'm sure they would all love one. And i don't think that is everyone.

The only reason im keeping my Xbox 360 is to play Rockband3.

So Harmonix! make another Rockband!

Comments

• NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited October 2013
    It is perfectly reasonable to believe that Harmonix will make another Rock Band game.

It is not reasonable at all to believe that such a game would be compatible with all existing DLC and exports.

And it is even less reasonable to believe that such a game would be released on the current console generation.

Also, 2.7 million likes on Facebook is meaningless. Lots of people played the first game and maybe the second, then got burned out on the concept. By no stretch of the imagination does it translate to 2.7 million Rock Band 4 sales.

Also, the Rock Band games are unusual in that the hardware is a bigger hurdle than the software, at this point. It would be incredibly foolish to produce a Rock Band 4 without a new batch of controllers to go with it.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited October 2013
    Expert_vocalist;5035565 said:
    Harmonix said that if enough people tell them to make a RockBand 4 they will.

No, actually.
    Numskull;5035575 said:
    It is perfectly reasonable to believe that Harmonix will make another Rock Band game.

As much as I would love to agree, I think this is doubtful too, for the reasons you mentioned yourself.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited October 2013
    Let see, if Sony or MS decided to bring the entire DLC library over to the new consoles then RB4 maybe a thing. If they did not, how many people do you think would want to re-buy songs they want on RB4 that they owned for RB1-3 ?

Ah the joys of DLC... good in some respects but a potential business killer in another. Is it the DLC fans (Buying for the love of the platform/songs they want) fault, HMX (For supplying the DLC) fault or the hardware manufacturers (Sony/MS for changing hardware-interfaces/digital-stores) fault?

The problem I see is that console makers think limited time but the end user is still under the impression that once you buy something then you can use it forever. The truth is with DLC is that you are really renting the product for an undisclosed period of time. When they decide that you can no-longer download said DLC then your rental is over. Oh your hardware that was riddled with DRM just died? Tough!
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited October 2013
    Numskull;5035575 said:
    Also, the Rock Band games are unusual in that the hardware is a bigger hurdle than the software, at this point. It would be incredibly foolish to produce a Rock Band 4 without a new batch of controllers to go with it.

I would like to think that since Madcatz is still selling RB equipment, that if there were to be a rockband 4 in the future, they would be willing to work with hmx to start up production again, as long as it could be profitable, and hmx doesn't wait forever that is. It's a long shot of coarse, but I'm forever the optimist. :)
  • Expert_vocalistExpert_vocalist Unsigned
    edited October 2013
    Blasteroids;5035583 said:
    Let see, if Sony or MS decided to bring the entire DLC library over to the new consoles then RB4 maybe a thing. If they did not, how many people do you think would want to re-buy songs they want on RB4 that they owned for RB1-3 ?

Ah the joys of DLC... good in some respects but a potential business killer in another. Is it the DLC fans (Buying for the love of the platform/songs they want) fault, HMX (For supplying the DLC) fault or the hardware manufacturers (Sony/MS for changing hardware-interfaces/digital-stores) fault?

The problem I see is that console makers think limited time but the end user is still under the impression that once you buy something then you can use it forever. The truth is with DLC is that you are really renting the product for an undisclosed period of time. When they decide that you can no-longer download said DLC then your rental is over. Oh your hardware that was riddled with DRM just died? Tough!

DLC is one of the greatest things in Rockband, of course they would bring it over. otherwise they would be losing hundreds of thousands of dollars.
    edited October 2013
    Expert_vocalist;5035588 said:
    DLC is one of the greatest things in Rockband, of course they would bring it over.
    Of course they would like to bring it over. That doesn't mean they'll be able to. We can't assume that the current DLC licensing deals allow migration from one console to another, different console. And even if they do, there are the console manufacturers' restrictions to consider.
    otherwise they would be losing hundreds of thousands of dollars.
    No they wouldn't. That money has already been spent. What they would lose is potential sales of the next Rock Band game...and I'm sure they've already taken that into consideration, since DLC migration to the next console generation is so unlikely.
  • Expert_vocalistExpert_vocalist Unsigned
    edited October 2013
    Numskull;5035590 said:
    No they wouldn't. That money has already been spent. What they would lose is potential sales of the next Rock Band game...and I'm sure they've already taken that into consideration, since DLC migration to the next console generation is so unlikely.

they would be losing sales so they would be losing money?
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited October 2013
    DLC might be transfarable to the next console. It certainly isn't a conversion problem (I'm pretty sure HMX will still use those mid files, and same audio format, it would probably make things easier anyways). It all has to do with labels, and of course, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and potentionnally now, Valve (hey we never know with their new box thingy).

I would be very disapointed if DLC wouldn't port over the new Rock Band (and that's only if they do make a new one). I would be even more disapointed if Pro g/b/k would disapear. I'm not fearing for pro keys (there's kinda a good number of keys players), but I'm certainly fearing for pro g/b, which wasn't as popular as most people would've thought in the past, and the reduction of pro upgrades we've seen proves this. Also, please make pro g/b playable with people who don't have the upgrades. Let me say this: When playing Fat Princess, I see alot of people using the DLC I never bought, please let RB do the same for pro g/b, it's VERY annoying for online play with randoms, very.

Also, if this new RB does see the day, please make a way to hide greyed songs.

I think that if they do make a new RB and keep pro mode, they should use a system like Rocksmith, but still keep support for MIDI instruments, and maybe more MIDI guitar. This would probably be the holy grail.

Hey, I can dream. LET ME DREAM.
    edited October 2013
    Expert_vocalist;5035591 said:
    they would be losing sales so they would be losing money?

Semantics, I admit. But you can't lose money that you don't actually have yet. And we're not talking about a paycheck situation where it's money you're lawfully entitled to.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited October 2013
    Alternity;5035592 said:
    DLC might be transfarable to the next console. It certainly isn't a conversion problem (I'm pretty sure HMX will still use those mid files, and same audio format, it would probably make things easier anyways). It all has to do with labels, and of course, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and potentionnally now, Valve (hey we never know with their new box thingy).

I would be very disapointed if DLC wouldn't port over the new Rock Band (and that's only if they do make a new one). I would be even more disapointed if Pro g/b/k would disapear. I'm not fearing for pro keys (there's kinda a good number of keys players), but I'm certainly fearing for pro g/b, which wasn't as popular as most people would've thought in the past, and the reduction of pro upgrades we've seen proves this. Also, please make pro g/b playable with people who don't have the upgrades. Let me say this: When playing Fat Princess, I see alot of people using the DLC I never bought, please let RB do the same for pro g/b, it's VERY annoying for online play with randoms, very.

Also, if this new RB does see the day, please make a way to hide greyed songs.

I think that if they do make a new RB and keep pro mode, they should use a system like Rocksmith, but still keep support for MIDI instruments, and maybe more MIDI guitar. This would probably be the holy grail.

Hey, I can dream. LET ME DREAM.

I think the only real big mistake HMX ever made was correcting the "mistake" that Pro Guitarists could play their songs with everyone online regardless of weather or not the rest of the band owned that Pro upgrade.

It made the Pro g/b bass kind of prohibited. I did my part and bought a lot of upgrades without (at the time) ever really planning on playing any of that on the Pro guitar. It sort of killed the whole idea of Pro g/b which was already wobbly to begin with.

I don't remember the last time I played with anyone online in a pick up group and they had pro guitar or bass on.
  • Goipper_of_GoitGoipper_of_Goit Unsigned
    edited October 2013
    Yeah I agree, playing pro guitar online is completely pointless as most of the time you will be kicked immediately. I'm not sure why they couldn't include the pro part in the download by default (it's only a tiny file) and unlock it when you pay the fee. But allow it to be displayed on the other players' screens online. Probably some unnecessary, paranoid licensing clause.

I think that blockage went a long way towards a community of pro players never really developing. I've only played pro online once, and that was after I saw someone else playing pro, and I thought "they might have some of my DLC" so I quit out (probably pissing them off a lot) and friended them so we could play pro Guitar and bass. Of course this completely prevents anyone else being involved as they won't have the pro part downloaded.

This issue is not as major as the "hype up the Squier massively in advance of release, but then ensure no one outside the US can get their hands on one no matter how hard they try" issue though. If they'd just never developed the Squier and made pro a Mustang-only deal it would be better. As it is 90% of players never felt they could properly be included in a the pro game due to not being able to get hold of a Squier. A pity on so many levels.
  • Goipper_of_GoitGoipper_of_Goit Unsigned
    edited October 2013
    Also my prediction is: There will be another Rock Band game (it might not be called that but something similar)

It will be the generation after next

It will be after all the licenses for the current DLC have expired, and it will require the same songs to be bought again.

Because of that it will need to wait long enough for there to be a whole new generation of potential players. So I reckon it's several years off.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited October 2013
    Alex Rigopulos said himself the Rock Band franchise isn't dead.

I'm convinced any next gen Rock Band game will be another Rocksmith knockoff, using the same tone based technology and an actual guitar, and strictly guitar-based. In other words, a Rocksmith game with the Rock Band brand name attached to it. And you'd obviously be starting over from square one as far as building a library is concerned. Just my theory.

What IS interesting, though, is that Bandfuse (the Rocksmith knockoff coming out in November) uses the Rock Band vocal engine supposedly, and they worked with Harmonix developers while designing the game.

Here's some quick optimism, though. I don't know much about the PS4, but I know the Xbox One does not support the old Xbox controller or Kinect. They still haven't said anything about peripherals. They could easily patch in the ability for the Xbox One to understand the RB4 Keyboard or know when you've plugged in an old GH2 USB Guitar controller. These controllers (especially the guitars) aren't terribly complicated devices. They also already told us neither console is backwards compatible with previous gen games (i.e. Rock Band 3 won't play on Xbox One or PS4). But what they have said, at least on Xbox, is that your Gamertag and entire account carries over onto the new console. They could easily make it possible for you to re-download all of your old DLC and exports into a new console and have that RB4 game read those old files. Not too sure how they'd work around a RB3 export though.

This is all just speculation and dreaming, though. I'd love another Rock Band game using the RB3 engine.
  • edited October 2013
    I like this quote:
    J-Dizzle" said:

"We never stop thinking about Rock Band, it's our favourite franchise." he replied, "We own the IP for Rock Band, so we're hoping to start some ideas for that now. Obviously, with the console generation turn over, it wouldn't make a ton of sense to make a "last gen" Rock Band right now. [But] we have some ideas, we're working some stuff around, so hopefully we'll have something to say."
    Hopefully RS2014 and BandFuse do really well. I would suspect this could be a decent barometer for HMX to use while "working stuff around"
  • WittikissWittikiss Road Warrior
    edited October 2013
    Doc_SoCal;5035746 said:
    Hopefully RS2014 and BandFuse do really well. I would suspect this could be a decent barometer for HMX to use while "working stuff around"

My main problem with both of those is they've worked themselves into the last gen trap. Instead of turning people onto the possibilities of next gen tech, their new games are coming out exclusively for current gens which will become increasingly outdated.

Maybe there will be a next gen rock band, but it has to do something completely unheard of to get the interest back in the plastic market.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited October 2013
    Rock Band will one day be an urban legend.
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited October 2013
    A Mother of one of my Son's friends heard him say that we play RB every weekend and said to him..."Tell your Dad that Rock Band is so yesterday!"
    He called me to tell me...I told him to say to her... "So are your better years judging from those crows feet and turkey chin." Of course I then quickly retracted and told him to say nothing of the sort.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited October 2013
    Expert_vocalist;5035588 said:
    DLC is one of the greatest things in Rockband, of course they would bring it over. otherwise they would be losing hundreds of thousands of dollars.

You know they couldn't even make enough to sustain making DLC in the current mode, suddenly throwing out everyone's consoles and hardware is going to better the situation?

I'll believe it when I see it.

BTW, nobody at Harmonix is going to say RB is dead, Even when they bury the francise out in the woods, and cover it's unmarked grave so no one can ever find it... They will still say they hope to "find" it again someday.
  • edited October 2013
    Wittikiss;5035751 said:
    My main problem with both of those is they've worked themselves into the last gen trap. Instead of turning people onto the possibilities of next gen tech, their new games are coming out exclusively for current gens which will become increasingly outdated.

Maybe there will be a next gen rock band, but it has to do something completely unheard of to get the interest back in the plastic market.
    Valid points.

As I play GTAV I can't help but think this will be the last big title I play on PS3...
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited October 2013
    peterock2007;5035776 said:
    BTW, nobody at Harmonix is going to say RB is dead, Even when they bury the francise out in the woods, and cover it's unmarked grave so no one can ever find it... They will still say they hope to "find" it again someday.

Because it's entirely possible. You Don't Know Jack was pretty much dead and buried for years before they revived it. Granted, that's a software-only release, but the idea of IP resurrection isn't a new one.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited October 2013
    tdc002;5035732 said:
    I'm convinced any next gen Rock Band game will be another Rocksmith knockoff, using the same tone based technology and an actual guitar, and strictly guitar-based. In other words, a Rocksmith game with the Rock Band brand name attached to it. And you'd obviously be starting over from square one as far as building a library is concerned. Just my theory.

I hope you are wrong... Rock Band becoming real guitar only would make me quit the series
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited October 2013
    LoopyChew;5035852 said:
    Because it's entirely possible. You Don't Know Jack was pretty much dead and buried for years before they revived it. Granted, that's a software-only release, but the idea of IP resurrection isn't a new one.

Yep I never said it wasn't possible... To die off long enough for everyone to throw away their hardware has far more impact in this game then others.

Not to mention I can list thousands of games that died, and then stayed dead.
  • brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited October 2013
    Wittikiss;5035751 said:

Is this really next-gen tech we're talking about with the Xbox One and PS4? Xbox One has built-in Kinect, which you can still get for Xbox. Both systems are placing just as much emphasis on being home-entertainment systems where you can watch TV, movies and communicate with others online as they are on bringing out new and innovative games.

I really don't see what the big leap forward is with these new systems.

As far as Rock Band goes, software can be rewritten/updated, but hardware will be the big problem if there is to be a RB4.
  • NarooNNarooN Opening Act
    edited October 2013
    They've said Rock Band is still very much alive, but that doesn't mean we will see a new game anytime soon. I also don't expect the next game to be focused specifically around real-instruments. What I would expect is the same ol' gameplay we know and love, with whatever slight improvements they could think of, except this time the Pro Modes would have better support, i.e. no need to buy a specialized proprietary instrument to enjoy Pro Guitar/Bass. I'd love to be able to plug in my real Strat and play whatever songs I liked.

However, both Sony and MS have made it clear that DLC and such won't be transferable from the current gen to the next gen. Then you have to factor in how all of Rock Band's DLC is pretty much licensed for a one-time deal (i.e. the current Rock Band games on their current platforms) so it would literally take the combined efforts of many high-level wizards to somehow bring all or even most of the current DLC crop over to the new consoles.

The current peripherals won't work on the new systems (most likely anyway), so they'd obviously have to make new ones. One of the complaints of the Great Rhythm Game Influx of 2006-2009 was the abundance of plastic instruments sitting around people's apartments and rooms with no place to store them. It's not very likely to assume the casuals would be willing to once again not only jump back on the rhythm game bandwagon, but also buy more bundles again. Then there's the fact that literally everyone who would get the new game, would be starting over from scratch in terms of song libraries.

I can see a new game being popular amongst the admittedly small niche of rhythm game lovers, but I express doubt that the genre could ever again rise to the prominence it enjoyed just over four years ago. I'm sure that HMX have all thought about this and they are aware of it. HMX are generally comprised of some pretty brilliant people, so I think whatever they decide on, will be the best for them and us in the end.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited October 2013
    As much as I want a Rock Band 4, I just don't see it happening anytime soon. 2015-16 maybe.

The games are great, but RB3 messed up with no story. Somehow Harmonix has to make it a game with a plot, not just a beat-matching game.

... I would still like to know what else Harmonix is working on.
  • edited October 2013
    I want a Rock Band 4 expansion for GTAV....

Fight your way to gigs, rock the house, win guns, go on missions... Get rock gear, fight your way to gigs...

Lather, rinse, repeat.

:)
    edited October 2013
    Well RB3 did have a "story", but it was barely there. You start as a band who plays gigs so small that they can only blow their paychecks on boxes of pizza, then they gradually move up until they're touring internationally and playing big arenas. They get so popular that they end up faking their deaths in a plane crash due to bad weather, and spend their days on an island enjoying the peace somewhere. fin

But it would be nice to have a more...existent plot in the next game.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited October 2013
    I would rather have an open world with no end in sight than some linear storyline that everyone follows.

Make choices and deal with consequences for good or ill.
    edited October 2013
    I'd like something similar to that, such as not being forced or encouraged to become TEH BEZT BAND EVAR or anything. If a band just wanted to stay in the same country, or even state or city/town as they originated from, they could do so. I'd like a return to the money system from RB1 & 2 rather than the progression-based unlocks from 3. It was stupid how various customization pieces were restricted to instruments you didn't own or had no intents on owning.