Red Sox get Gagne, Celts get Garnett

Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
edited August 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
Boston fans, thoughts? I think they gave up a bit much. Gabbard and Murphy will both be studs while gagne's arm gets a little older every day.

As for the celtics, i think its great as a short term solution, But the celts will be 20 game winners within 5 years

Comments

• hmxgrichhmxgrich Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    Meh, I have no worries with either situation. Gabbard was okay to sacrifice because you can just take a look at the prospects of starting pitching we have:
    Lester (who will probably stay in the bigs)
    Clay Bucholz
    Michael Bowden
    Justin Masterson
    David Murphy is 26 this year, and was not looking at a full time job on the Sox anytime in the near future. They have Ellsbury to look forward to.
    Gagne is the best bullpen help they could have chosen. He'll definitely get the job done when we're resting Okajima and Paps.

As for the Celtics, Garnett has never missed more than 37 games out of his 12 year career. He's signed for the next 5 years, I'm not worried about him.
    Ray Allen is still as good as ever, just be optimistic with health. Also signed for 3 years.
    And of course with Pierce, this team is going to be killer. And he's not going anywhere.
    They already said there's a bunch of players calling saying that want to be in Boston. They're not done yet :D
    edited July 2007
    I have to agree with the last poster. Even though Gagne is going to be a rent-a-player it sures up the most important part of the team come playoff time, the bullpen. I thought what Gabbard was doing was really sort of a fluke, he doesn't have overwhelming stuff, and lefties without great stuff don't usually fare too well with the exception of few (Glavine, Moyer, etc.)
    Murphy was never going to play in the OF of a team like Boston and Brandon Moss probably isn't going too either so both of them were expendable in my opinion.

Garnett makes Boston a top 3 team in the Eastern conference and gives us a guarantee to have a competitive team. Jefferson still has some great upside and has the potential to be great but Gerald Green was a streaky shooter who wins slam dunk contests and plays little to no defense. Ryan Gomes is better suited to come off the bench as sort of a sixth man rather than playing 35 mins. a night. And well, I think we all know it feels good to get Telfair out of town.
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    I've been rethinking how i view both trades, and i'm definetly a lot happier than when i first heard about it. The sox did good this year by getting only what they needed and not over-spending for Dye, who IMO would have been great to have but isn't really needed (unless ortiz needs more time off).

As for the celtics danny ainge wanted to build a young team full of prospects so he that these players could blossom into stars, or use them in trades for marquee players, which is just what he did. I think if they do things right by winning now with KG, pierce, and allen while at the same time finding and signing young talent to get ready for the future. and with those 3 guys as solid veterans who can teach these young players, that is a good thing. Either way getting big name players helps draw more revenue and gets people to want to play for Boston. and that is a very good thing
    edited August 2007
    Yea that's the biggest thing is that now there's more players wanting to come to Boston. And as it was pretty much said in the Celtics conference, it was the acquisition of Ray Allen that finally made KG's decision to come here.

As Ainge said in the conference, they're far from done, they need to make sure they have a great bench to back em up as well. Those 3 guys can't play every minute of every game. But Leon Powe looked great in the summer league, along with Glen Davis, and of course once Tony Allen gets going, he's a great player.

I've supported the C's through thick and thin all these years, but Danny and the organization have now made me at ease with the way the team is structering :)

And the Dye deal was way too expensive. The proposed trade was Delcarmen and Wily Mo, for Dye straight up. I'm sorry, but I'm not parting with Delcarmen at all! Maybe Craig Hansen and Pena, but not Manny Delcarmen. So that worked out for the best.

I do hope that we can land someone with a great bat before the non-waiver trade deadline though. After last night's game, we obviously need more offense.
  • edited August 2007
    Now the Celtics will just need a coach and we might just win this thing.
    edited August 2007
    hmxsean;27977 said:
    Now the Celtics will just need a coach and we might just win this thing.
    Ha! Touche!
  • The_WurmThe_Wurm Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Its funny how everyone keeps saying "Now that the celtics have kg and ray allen, more quality free agents will want to come to boston" because everyone is forgetting one huge factor. The celtics have no more room in their salary cap to afford anymore quality players, which is the biggest problem with the KG deal, but o well.

PS I live in MA, Celts fan.
    edited August 2007
    No worries, they're calling it a steal for the price they're paying for KG. Yea it's a lot, but not as much as it could be. See LeBron or Kobe.

But don't forget, we also dumped 5 salaries by getting Garnett, he couldn't have been signed for more than what those guys were making all together. Plus, Theo Ratliff's contract was outrageous. He was getting paid 12 million for the 06/07 season. And he barely ever played!

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_19675.shtml

Look under the Celtics roster ^ You'll see that those 5 guys combine made up for more than what we're paying KG a season.

But I think when they're talking about quality free agents they obviously don't mean anymore high paid veterans. Obviously they can't afford that. They're talking guys who are experienced, and would be quality coming off the bench. In which they don't need huge contracts. They just need guys to fill in the holes in the roster is all.
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    The_Wurm;28189 said:
    Its funny how everyone keeps saying "Now that the celtics have kg and ray allen, more quality free agents will want to come to boston" because everyone is forgetting one huge factor. The celtics have no more room in their salary cap to afford anymore quality players, which is the biggest problem with the KG deal, but o well.

PS I live in MA, Celts fan.
    I agree with this to the point where they won't be getting any known solid veterans. They're really gonna have to work to find those cheap, unproven players who will fit into the lineup.
    edited August 2007
    MrtyMcfly;28197 said:
    No worries, they're calling it a steal for the price they're paying for KG. Yea it's a lot, but not as much as it could be. See LeBron or Kobe.

But don't forget, we also dumped 5 salaries by getting Garnett, he couldn't have been signed for more than what those guys were making all together. Plus, Theo Ratliff's contract was outrageous. He was getting paid 12 million for the 06/07 season. And he barely ever played!

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_19675.shtml

Look under the Celtics roster ^ You'll see that those 5 guys combine made up for more than what we're paying KG a season.

But I think when they're talking about quality free agents they obviously don't mean anymore high paid veterans. Obviously they can't afford that. They're talking guys who are experienced, and would be quality coming off the bench. In which they don't need huge contracts. They just need guys to fill in the holes in the roster is all.
    I agree with wut you're sayin but what I'm trying to say is that is literally no more room on the Celtics salary cap for another big name, despite whether players want to come to Boston or not.
    edited August 2007
    The_Wurm;28221 said:
    I agree with wut you're sayin but what I'm trying to say is that is literally no more room on the Celtics salary cap for another big name, despite whether players want to come to Boston or not.
    That's what I'm saying as well. That's why I said no big names will be coming. Just quality bench players :) That's all they need.
    edited August 2007
    MrtyMcfly;28237 said:
    That's what I'm saying as well. That's why I said no big names will be coming. Just quality bench players :) That's all they need.
    fosho

haha