New GH 3 tracks announced.

Brad_LeeBrad_Lee Opening Act
edited August 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
Miss Murder (by AFI)
3's and 7's (by Queens of the Stone Age)
Raining Blood (by Slayer)
Reptillia (by The Strokes)
Paranoid (as made famous by Black Sabbath)
Cities on Flame (as made famous by Blue Oyster Cult)
Mississippi Queen (as made famous by Mountain)

Notice anything?

Comments

• Brad_LeeBrad_Lee Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    WingsOfSteel;28971 said:
    Proof?

10 characters

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/810/810115p1.html
  • IbanezBassist_v2IbanezBassist_v2 Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    What a rip off! The more news I hear on GH the less I want it.
  • Blue88Blue88 Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    I can't even figure out why they'd do it other than to spite Rock Band. There's only one way to settle this.

Cult of Personality and Lay down in Rock Band.
  • lithiumkclithiumkc Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    lol.

Thats weird. I wonder how many other doubles there'll be.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited August 2007
    Blue88;28979 said:
    I can't even figure out why they'd do it other than to spite Rock Band.
    And even that doesn't make much sense. Offering us the same thing Rock Band does, only with less there?

And (Don't Fear) The Reaper > Cities on Flame.
  • GARahnGARahn Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    Despite which games have what songs, I'm still getting both so it'll be a win-win situation for me. Lol.
  • mobhit101mobhit101 Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    GARahn;28989 said:
    Despite which games have what songs, I'm still getting both so it'll be a win-win situation for me. Lol.
    Yea me too but still.... DUPLICATES SUCK!
    Now I'm gonna be sick of those songs when Rock Band comes out :(
    Oh well, at least the drums will be new for those songs.
  • KeeblerKeebler Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Ok, this confirms it. Activision is a bunch of retards.

When you think about, I guess they wanna rip some of Rock Band's big songs off and try to draw people to the game with similar songs but a lower price tag.

Really, though. This just shows a complete lack of originality.
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited August 2007
    That's the third thread I see about this, but yeah, scandal! I mean, how stupid is that??? I don't want to play the same songs in both games. I mean, that's very strange though. Why do they do that??? I just don't understand it. The list of wanted songs is HUGE! HUUUGGEE!!! And what do they do??? They include the same songs as Rockband??? I mean, 3 songs!! Not just one song, three songs!!??

What happened there??? I just.... I've never seen anything more stupid...
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    LOL do they have ****ing downs syndrome? 2 of those songs are already on a game with MORE FEATURES THAN THEIR GAME. that's the most retarted way to compete with RB. the only thing i could say i'm excited for is Raining Blood
  • Bakkster_ManBakkster_Man Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    WingsOfSteel;28985 said:
    And even that doesn't make much sense. Offering us the same thing Rock Band does, only with less there?

And (Don't Fear) The Reaper > Cities on Flame.
    Ain't it the truth.
  • FerretwaveFerretwave Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    This is kinda cheap. I guess I might have to get Guitar Hero 3. (Already have a guitar, will have 2 more, so the game itself should be cheap) Still, Rock Band, you have the biggest partner for music out there, use it to its fullest and show it off. We really know very many songs considering the amount GH 3 has shown. Also, if you two can copy each other PLEASE get Welcome to the Jungle. I've always wanted to play that song.
    edited August 2007
    Rev0lver;29012 said:
    LOL do they have ****ing downs syndrome? 2 of those songs are already on a game with MORE FEATURES THAN THEIR GAME. that's the most retarted way to compete with RB. the only thing i could say i'm excited for is Raining Blood
    It's not 2. It's 3. 3 song are already in Rockband. Reptilia, Paranoid and Mississippi Queen.
  • zepplinmikezepplinmike Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    Ferretwave;29018 said:
    This is kinda cheap. I guess I might have to get Guitar Hero 3. (Already have a guitar, will have 2 more, so the game itself should be cheap) Still, Rock Band, you have the biggest partner for music out there, use it to its fullest and show it off. We really know very many songs considering the amount GH 3 has shown. Also, if you two can copy each other PLEASE get Welcome to the Jungle. I've always wanted to play that song.
    Better yet, Harmonix should give them a big middle finger by having all of Appetite For Destruction as a DLC album!!!

But really, this BS that the GH3 guys are pulling has decreased the likelihood of me buying that game. I mean, Rock Band is already probably gonna come out 1 week after GH3 and I'll already have Halo3 and GTA4 keeping me busy.
  • espherespher Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, it kinda killed my buzz for the game.

I mean, it's a decent tracklist, but if the level of duplicates gets pretty high, I'll just skip GH3 for Rock Band.
  • TheTogfatherTheTogfather Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    yah, the only time duplication is acceptable is if GH3 announced a song (welcome to the jungle) that we all want to play on drums/vocals as well as guitar. Then I would gladly welcome Rock Band ripping them off, but to go the other way...announce a song available for play with LESS features? Woo! Way to go Activision! You totally kicked ass on that one! This is pure sarcasm!

Seriously makes me wonder, again, if they aren't trying to fool the consumer...get some people thinking they're buying the better of the two when in fact they are not.

But...it is good to know that it is possible to duplicate. At least now if GH3 announces Tool my heart won't stop what with worries of exlcusiveness...
  • BobLoblawBobLoblaw Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    3's and 7's, sweet. :)

It sucks that they're using some of the same songs as RB, though. They should've had sweet leaf as the black sabbath song, and nothing by the strokes.
    edited August 2007
    I just don't understand it. It makes absolutly no sense.

I mean, they added those songs without a doubt willfully. I mean, if they really want the Strokes or Black Sabbath in the game they could have chosen different songs. But they didn't, they choose exactly the same songs that are featured in Rockband.

That's not about the music anymore!!! That's cheap!! They probably did that because they thought something like "Hey, if we have the exact same songs as Rockband, people may buy our game because it's cheaper.". I mean, I see no other reason in copying the songs.

Damn you Neversoft.
  • lorddavidlorddavid Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    If the rumour of the Hammerfall being on their game is true, it would boost my wanting the game... but this has made me think... who cares?

I'd rather play Rock Band anyway, and I REALLY don't want to play the same song in two different games (I mean, if we're honest, there wont be a huge difference, note chart wise, anyway, mebbe in the lower difficulties, but I play on Expert, so I'd be playing almost the exact same thing twice...), and so... why pick up GH if I want to play the drums on Rock Band?

If this seems to be the way GH want to go with it, then fine... it'll just mean I'll wait for their game to drop in price and nab a pre-owned copy from Gamestation when it's traded in, and just have RB to satisfy me in the meantime :). Then I'll play GH3 for a few weeks, then head back to RB and buy all the DLC that they've released in my absence, only to pick up right where I left off, lol.

Activision have attempted a coup by releasing the songs on their game... but have forgotten that Harmonix have a lot left to announce, and that people who would've got both games, will now likely lean towards RB instead because of the added drums & singing... possibly a massive own goal for Activision there.
  • zepplinmikezepplinmike Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    TheTogfather;29023 said:
    yah, the only time duplication is acceptable is if GH3 announced a song (welcome to the jungle) that we all want to play on drums/vocals as well as guitar. Then I would gladly welcome Rock Band ripping them off, but to go the other way...announce a song available for play with LESS features? Woo! Way to go Activision! You totally kicked ass on that one! This is pure sarcasm!

Seriously makes me wonder, again, if they aren't trying to fool the consumer...get some people thinking they're buying the better of the two when in fact they are not.

But...it is good to know that it is possible to duplicate. At least now if GH3 announces Tool my heart won't stop what with worries of exlcusiveness...
    Oh they totally are trying to fool the consumer just by using the Guitar Hero name. The whole point of brand loyalty is that you want to stick with was is familiar and that you want to stick with a company which has a proven quality track record. But in the case of GH3, while the brand name is there, the company behind it is completely different. They don't have a proven track record with music games, and yet consumers who aren't in the know will just assume that it's the same company.

A good comparison is the Call of Duty series. COD and COD2 were awesome and celebrated games, but the others in the series, including COD3 didn't live up to the quality of those first two games. The reason is that they were made by a different developer. Meanwhile the team that made COD and COD2 are making COD4, which looks like it will take the series to completely new heights.
  • kotrankotran Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    It will be interesting to compare cover versions though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the GH diehards or maybe even developers saying that Rock Band copied their song choices when Rock Band released these first. I agree that it's pretty odd that wth all the songs available, that there are duplicates in the same release time frame. I'm curious now at how many more duplicates there may or may not be. Or who may fold and alter their lists. Could make for a very interesting game of chicken, and may also cause one or the other to not release as much info in the future.

I still think Rock Band will come out ahead in the long run. They don't seem as desperate to release their tracks.
  • daneish7daneish7 Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    Keep in mind that several of these songs are licensed for games well before they're announced. It's very possible that the people at GH III already had Mississippi Queen, Paranoid, and Reptilia licensed and that they simply chose to unveil them later. Rock Band absolutely has more than 18 tracks licensed, but they leak songs deliberately to generate excitement.

Obviously, a starkly different setlist would go a long way to pushing sales of GH III, and sharing songs with a game that offers two totally different ways of playing those songs doesn't boost marketability. However, with less than three months left between now and the projected release date, there's not a whole lot of time to dump songs and license enough new ones to still deliver the promised product, and pushing back their release date isn't an option if they want GH III to compete with Rock Band.

In short, I have faith that the folks at GH III don't believe in business suicide and that the duplicated songs are a matter of circumstance and a lack of communication.
  • IbanezBassist_v2IbanezBassist_v2 Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    GARahn;28989 said:
    Unless of course GH has all the same songs RB will have. Then I say that is a mark for the losing column. Its ridiculous to have the same songs on very similar genre based games. Like I said, GHIII is looking less appealing to me.
  • senomarsenomar Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    I'm excited to see QOTSA, BOC, and Black Sabbath in the game again. And now Slayer is in GH image
    edited August 2007
    You know what really angers me?? There are awesome songs and awesome bands out there that didn't make it in any GH or Rockband game (like The Cure, Radiohead or Bloc Party), and Neversoft rather copies songs that are already in another game (not only bands, but songs!!) instead of adding all those great bands that still didn't appear in any of those games.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • TheTogfatherTheTogfather Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    I also see another problem. I highly doubt they're going to have similar note charts. The charts will be made be two completely different developers, there will be differences and those differences could have quite an impact on people who insist on playing both games. I guess a minimalist approach to GH3 would help, only play those songs just as much as you need to and no more, then go hog wild in RB.
  • ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Wow three songs that can also be found in Rock Band, Guitar Hero III becomes less and less atractive to me as the weeks go by and more info is announced. If they didn't have some other great songs that Rock Band didn't have I wouldn't be buying it. You would think they would try and stay away from having the same songs because that takes away from the differences the games have!
  • defmonkeydefmonkey Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    Who can really tell who's copying who, like a previous poster said, they had them liscensed at a certain time ago and decided to go with it.

I bet Activision saw what happened when Rock Band announced 3 songs that they had, they cursed a bit and thought that they couldn't go back, its too late, might as well bite the bullet and release some other new songs to make the blow seem softer (BoC & Slayer)

They already bought the liscense. They would of lost money if they took it out. They just bit the bullet.
  • lorddavidlorddavid Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    TheTogfather;29046 said:
    I also see another problem. I highly doubt they're going to have similar note charts. The charts will be made be two completely different developers, there will be differences and those differences could have quite an impact on people who insist on playing both games. I guess a minimalist approach to GH3 would help, only play those songs just as much as you need to and no more, then go hog wild in RB.
    See, I disagree, I think the opposite, I think the note charts are going to be eerily similar, to the point where other than mebbe a handful of notes, it's exactly the same...

If there's a 5 note section which runs from high to low... it's going to be OBYRG regardless... In fact, the only difference might be some chords, but in general I can see the note charts being damned similar, and making it boring as hell to play.

If they DO turn out different, then it could be interesting, as you'll play through both once, and then generally pick the version that's most fun to play (not necesarily easier either)
  • Raider87Raider87 Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    Ya that kinda sucks spending money to play the same songs... but thank God for Slayer