Official CAKE DLC Thread (Actively Updated!)

pmpboarderpmpboarder Road Warrior
edited July 2012 in Your Ultimate Setlist
[CENTER][ATTACH]5060[/ATTACH]
This picture accompanied CAKE's poll that ran from July 1, 2009 to July 13, 2009. Hopefully it doesn't reflect CAKE's opinion of the game!
[Update: apparently it does.][/CENTER]

[CENTER]UPDATES!
Words straight from CAKE manager Tommy Manzi himself.
7/21/09 | 9/9/08 | 3/17/08 | 3/16/08

"...music that defies simple-minded pop paradigms."
- Los Angeles Times

"...a small number of bands can claim an actual catalog of worthwhile tunes.
Count CAKE in that category..."
- Oakland Tribune

"Every now and then, a band with actual personality
sneaks onto the modern rock radio playlist."
- Washington Times

"Every time I play Rock Band now,
after a few songs, I start wishing for some CAKE."
- TakeABow

==============================
Platter of Contents
Because this "first post" is five posts long.
==============================[/CENTER]
This post contains...
Part 0.1: What You Can Do
Part 1: Introduction To CAKE
Part 1.2: Music Videos

Post 2 contains...
Part 2: CAKE Songs That YOU Want in Rock Band
Part 2.2: A Few Select Quality Comments

Post 3 & Post 4 contain...
Part 3: CAKE Songs That DO Belong in Rock Band

Post 5 contains...
Part 4: CAKE Songs That DO NOT Belong in Rock Band

[CENTER]==============================
Part 0.1:
What You Can Do

Because I can't do this on my own.
These are some of the many ways to get the word out that we want CAKE in Rock Band:
Vote "Yes" in the above poll.
Reply to this thread, listing the songs you want to play in Rock Band and why you want them. Even if it's only one song, every vote counts! Or just express your love for the band.
Tell all your Rock Band and CAKE-loving friends about this thread.
Visit CAKE's official site and participate in the constantly changing message board. (From here, click "Current Results".)
If all that still doesn't satisfy you, and you want to do more, then contact CAKE!
- Visit CAKE's MySpace page and message them or leave a comment on their page.
- E-mail CAKE. According to this page on their official site, "...all mail will be read."
- E-mail CAKE's manager, Tommy Manzi (for The Umbrella Group)
- If you prefer, write CAKE a letter the old-fashioned way!
CAKE
3104 "O" Street, Box 109
Sacramento, CA 95816

Part 1:
Introduction To CAKE

Because quite a few of you have yet to be introduced to the band.
Credit goes to jr174200 for his threads "Top 20 Phish Songs for Rock Band DLC" and "Official Modest Mouse DLC Thread," which inspired me to fuse aspects of each into this thread.

But even more credit goes to CAKE for being the best band ever. (That's my opinion.)

[CENTER][ATTACH]4526[/ATTACH]
Wait, is that a trumpet? Yeah. It is. And it's ingeniously prominent on most CAKE songs.[/CENTER]

I've posted in all the threads with "CAKE" in the title, and in other relevant threads. So what's the next step? To make an Official CAKE DLC Thread, of course!

CAKE is a band you either love to death or haven't heard of. There's no "hating them" option. Though, if you really do hate them, I beg you to tell me why. I respect your opinion, and even though I am obviously a huge fan of the band, I realize they aren't for everyone. I am also very adamant on valuing others' taste in music - a common courtesy many on these forums seem to lack. I am just curious what you don't enjoy about them. That said...

They've had hits such as "The Distance," "Short Skirt/Long Jacket," "I Will Survive," and "Rock 'n' Roll Lifestyle," among others. Singer-songwriter and guitarist John McCrea's lyrics are sophisticated, witty, humorous, sardonic, sarcastic, quirky, uplifting, intelligent and meaningful -- somehow, all at the same time. Their sound is varied, yet distinctive. They defy being classified into any one genre. Rock? Pop? Alternative Rock? Soul? Geek Rock? Country? Hip-Hop? Jazz? Rap? New Wave Pop? White-Boy Funk? YES! When you hear CAKE, you know it's CAKE!

[CENTER][ATTACH]4527[/ATTACH]
Their major releases so far.[/CENTER]

CAKE is a perfect fit for Rock Band. Their basslines are so catchy that, when in Band Quickplay, the two guitarists would be arguing over who gets to play bass instead of guitar. (No, really.) That's not to say the guitarists aren't incredibly talented also, because they most definitely are. The drums aren't the most complex patterns, but they're fun! John McCrea's style of singing means we'd see a lot of "talky parts." But that's okay! Each song is rich, and filled with only the best sounds from each instrument. I know it's fanboyish and biased to say, but CAKE has the winning formula for turning out one masterpiece after another. Of course I like some songs better than others, but each one just has that ... feel to it, you know?

CAKE was a major label band since their first release in 1994 (Capricorn for the first three, Columbia for the next two), but always managed to fly just under the radar. Big enough to go platinum on a couple albums, but small enough to not be known by every living soul. That's one thing I love so much about them. They make music because they love making music. In fact, they just recently decided that being a major label band wasn't for them. So they created their own record label, Upbeat Records. The first release on the label is their newest B-Sides and Rarities. I mean, honestly, how many successful bands out there go from being a major label band to an independent band? I know there are quite a few, but it's awesome that CAKE is on that list now.

[CENTER]image
CAKE performing live at their very own Unlimited Sunshine Tour in December '07.[/CENTER]

The point of this thread is to organize all the CAKE fans in one place, a friendly place to discuss their music and recommend their songs for DLC. If you've posted in other threads, please post whatever you've said there in here, too! I'm only gonna take others' suggestions from this thread. I know a lot of you out there love CAKE. I've seen proof over the last few months, with posts that only affirm the band. I've yet to see a single post of anyone saying they don't like CAKE. So I finally gave in to making an official thread.

[CENTER][ATTACH]4528[/ATTACH]
Yeah, that's my car. So what? Oh, and the joke "Your CAKE got frosted!" has been made.[/CENTER]

Now, let's show Harmonix how much we really want CAKE in Rock Band! Feel free to show any pictures or videos of anything relating to the band CAKE! Or, simply express through words your love for them. Your feedback is the whole reason I'm doing this!

Part 1.2:
Music Videos

Making it easy to see how much fun these songs would be!
These are all official music videos made by the band for the fans. I'm listing them chronologically.

Note: these videos are also found in the next few posts. I just thought it'd be convenient to list them chronologically here.

Motorcade of Generosity (1994) Fashion Nugget (1996) Prolonging the Magic (1998) Comfort Eagle (2001) Pressure Chief (2004) Extra Value:
504 x 336 - 38K
543 x 362 - 47K
500 x 375 - 90K
504 x 378 - 59K

Comments

• EnchuritoEnchurito Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    I might download some other songs by them but I would for sure download "Commisioning a Symphony In C" in a second. (or however long the PS3 takes to download it :p)
  • BinaryPhalanxBinaryPhalanx Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    I definitely want to see Cake in Rock Band. I would download ANY of their songs in a new york minute if they became available.

Here are my picks (Just going through the list of albums on my Foobar playlist):

Comanche
    Rock'n'Roll Lifestyle
    The Distance
    Friend Is a Four Letter Word
    Daria
    I Will Survive
    Italian Leather Sofa
    Satan Is My Motor
    Never There
    Carbon Monoxide
    Opera Singer
    Meanwhile, Rick James...
    Shadow Stabbing
    Short Skirt/Long Jacket
    Commissioning A Symphony in C
    Comfort Eagle
    Long Line of Cars
    Love You Madly
    Pretty Pink Ribbon

Basically, as far as an entire album pick would go, I'd say go for Comfort Eagle.

For 3-song packs, any combination of the bolded ones.

Of course, I wouldn't argue with *any* Cake song that may make it to the DLC status.
  • ErnunnosErnunnos Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    My favorite two Cake songs are "Daria" and "Jolene".

But no matter what songs they do, I'd like to get some crowd vocals on the DLC. The best part of playing Rock Band is when the crowd starts singing along, and Cake is some fun stuff to sing along to. Can you imagine playing one of the small venues and having the crowd belting out "Daaaa-ri-aaaa" in 5.1?
  • AJ_StoneAJ_Stone Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    I'd be down to purchase any and all CAKE that is released to the DLC.
  • evilkittyevilkitty Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    I love Cake's cover of I Will Survive.
    edited January 2008
    That would be pretty sweet!
  • zaggg2zaggg2 Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    I don't mind cake... they're alright. but they would be terrible in this game (the singing would be way too easy... that guy is so monotone it's not even funny... alright, maybe a little :P)
  • CowSharkCowShark Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    I'd love to see some Cake, especially Jolene and Stickshifts and Safetybelts.
  • pmpboarderpmpboarder Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    zaggg2;284822 said:
    I don't mind cake... they're alright. but they would be terrible in this game (the singing would be way too easy... that guy is so monotone it's not even funny... alright, maybe a little :P)
    I understand and appreciate that. Thank you for posting your opinion. However, I'm curious. Is the monotony of McCrea's singing the only thing you don't like about CAKE? Or rather, the only thing that would make them terrible for Rock Band? I know it would mean a lot of "talky parts," but it wouldn't be all that bad.
    edited January 2008
    CowShark;285290 said:
    I'd love to see some Cake, especially Jolene and Stickshifts and Safetybelts.
    Hell yes! "Jolene" scored 100% in my breakdown of songs meant for Rock Band (found on page 1 of this thread). "Stickshifts and Safetybelts" is actually next on the to-do list. I can already tell you it's gonna gonna be in the 90%+ range, for sure. (Update: It scored 99%.)

What do you think of my other scores? Am I being too biased?
  • zaggg2zaggg2 Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    pmpboarder;285547 said:
    I understand and appreciate that. Thank you for posting your opinion. However, I'm curious. Is the monotony of McCrea's singing the only thing you don't like about CAKE? Or rather, the only thing that would make them terrible for Rock Band? I know it would mean a lot of "talky parts," but it wouldn't be all that bad.
    the thing is, the lead singer keeps one tone throughout entire songs... there would never be any need to raise or lower your voice's pitch very much... so it's would be incredibly boring and pretty much pointless to sing.

I don't mind the band... they're not my favorite, nor would I ever spend money on a CD of theirs... but they're decent. I just don't know if they'd be right for this game.
    edited January 2008
    zaggg2;286365 said:
    the thing is, the lead singer keeps one tone throughout entire songs... there would never be any need to raise or lower your voice's pitch very much... so it's would be incredibly boring and pretty much pointless to sing.
    The only song I can think of like that is The Distance, and that's not even entirely true there. I'll grant you that his voice is rather unenthusiastic, though...
    zaggg2;286365 said:

I don't mind the band... they're not my favorite, nor would I ever spend money on a CD of theirs... but they're decent. I just don't know if they'd be right for this game.
    I'm sure a lot of people feel the way you do about it, not everyone likes every band that's even in the main content (for instance, I despise Bon Jovi and Metallica), so I respect that opinion.

Some of us would download it all, and have a lot of fun though ;)
  • Rental_NinjaRental_Ninja Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    .....but.....but the cake is a lie
    edited January 2008
  • jessiloujessilou Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    edited January 2008
    Rental_Ninja;286841 said:
    .....but.....but the cake is a lie
    Haha, yes. Portal. Great game! :cool:
  • CowSharkCowShark Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    pmpboarder;285551 said:
    What do you think of my other scores? Am I being too biased?
    I dunno, I don't think I'd give "The Distance" a 100 (when compared to Jolene or I Will Survive); but that could just be me. The bass and guitar parts seem somewhat samey throughout (although this does happen in a lot of low tier songs, so I guess it wouldn't be a deal breaker, the bass part _is_ probably still cooler than a lot of bass parts in the game :P).
    edited January 2008
    CowShark;287577 said:
    I dunno, I don't think I'd give "The Distance" a 100 (when compared to Jolene or I Will Survive); but that could just be me. The bass and guitar parts seem somewhat samey throughout (although this does happen in a lot of low tier songs, so I guess it wouldn't be a deal breaker, the bass part _is_ probably still cooler than a lot of bass parts in the game :P).
    I hear that, yo. And I agree with you: the bassline, as cool as it is, would get a tiny bit repetitive. As would the guitar and drums. But that's okay! They all sound amazing together! And I believe this is a song that would make most people jump around and have fun playing, since they aren't concentrating so intently on trying not to fail. It's an easy song, but it's also a very fun song.

That's the other reason it got a 100% - popularity and recognition. Everyone knows this song. Even if they claim they've never heard CAKE, they've heard this song. Like those 13 people that picked the third option in the poll? Yeah, they've heard The Distance. :cool:
  • NoubourneNoubourne Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    I Will Survive seems like a no-brainer.

Others that seem like they'd be pretty fun (in no particular order):

Stickshifts & Safety Belts
    Guitar
    Satan is my Motor
    Italian Leather Sofa
    Love You Madly
    Pretty Pink Ribbon
  • edited February 2008
    Sheep Go to Heaven and Satan is my Motor would be so freakin' great. Cake's been my favorite band forever.
  • toyomatt84toyomatt84 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    That's a solid list of Cake-goodness. I would be happy to pick up a large quantity of the songs listed. :)
  • xxpigxxxxpigxx Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Individual song wise . . .

I will Survive (x infinity ;) )
    Stickshifts and Safety Belts
    Italian Leather Sofa
    Daria
    The Distance
    Never There
  • xxpigxxxxpigxx Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    BTW . . . I also saw Cake live. Front row.

The line up was:

Vertical Horizon
    Moby
    Cake

A co worker at the restaurant I used to work at was friends with VH. They gave us free tickets when they came by the restaurant. In return, I gave them free food (I was the manager). :D
    edited February 2008
    Yo, xxpigxx, that's an awesome story, man! Sounds like a fair trade to me. I mean, bands gotta eat, right? :cool:

Thanks for all the votes, guys! Keep 'em coming! We'll get CAKE in Rock Band eventually. :)
  • creamcheesecreamcheese Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    so uuh, cake fans.

sorry this is off topic, but I this is as good a place as any to ask my question.

I'm not sure if you can help, I'm trying to track down a song I THINK might be a Cake song, but I'm not sure. Many years ago now, probably 9 or 10, back in my student radio listening days I heard a song as I was driving along and I loved it, but being that I was listening to student radio (I guess you guys call is College Radio in the US) they neglected to say who it was, and I promptly forgot about it, then I heard Going the Distance a short while later and it reminded me strongly of this song I'd heard before, and this time the DJ actually said who it was by (I'd never heard of Cake back then).

My powers of deduction (weak at best) lead me to the conclusion that if Going the Distance was so reminiscent of this other song, perhaps it was a Cake song too. I went to my local record store and asked to listen to their only Cake album in stock, and nothing sounded familiar. So here I am many years later prompted by pmpboarder's sig in one of the other threads to finally and meanderingly (probably not a real word) ask my question.

Is there a Cake song out there, that deals with some kind of cat burglar or other sneaky theme? I can't remember the tune at all, or any of the words (I'm sure you guys love a challenge) with the possible exception of something about 'a thief in the night'. I remember being captured by the story as much as the song itself, and Going the Distance really did remind me of it, also Cakes general sound reminded me of it too.

Any Ideas? (apologies for the rambling)
    edited February 2008
    Wow, I'm stumped. :confused: But like you said, I do love a challenge. And I would really like to help. So, If it was 9 or 10 years ago, then that narrows it down to their first three albums, which were released in 1994, 1996 and 1998, respectively:

image image image

Do any of those covers look familiar from when you were at the record store? If so, point it out, and, since you said you've already listened to it, that will narrow it down to the other two. That is, if it's even a CAKE song...

Also, I have tons of links to music videos, live performances and even MP3 samples in my initial (5-post-long) post of this thread. Check those out, and see if any of them ring the bell.

Is there anything else you can tell me about the song? Think hard. It's somewhere in your head.
  • Silent SnootchSilent Snootch Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    Short skirt/long jacket and Sheep go to heaven would be my choices.

This is an awesome thread. Very well put together. I am a big Cake fan from Sac and would love to see them in this game!
  • frostboy74frostboy74 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    Not a fan of Cake, but the song "Sheep Go To Heaven" is a classic in my book.
  • TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited February 2008
    Wow this is a really well made thread, I would be up for any cake i could get my hands on.

pretty pink ribbon is my current favorite though
  • TakeABowTakeABow Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    My favorite Cake song would have to be Comissioning A Symphony In C.

Agree with my numbers or not (since you haven't rated the song yet) I would say:

Guitar: 13 (some downtime, but there is a solo)
    Bass: 14 (Simple, but elegant)
    Drums: 14 (Fun to play **I play this song on real drums)
    Vocals and Lyrics: 14 (Fun, interesting lyrics)
    Overall Quality and Band Energy: 26 (amazing song, but not brimming with energy)
    Misc: 10 (All Rock Band part friendly)

Totaling this all up we get: 91%