Official CAKE DLC Thread (Actively Updated!)

Comments

• xxpigxxxxpigxx Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    BTW . . . I also saw Cake live. Front row.

The line up was:

Vertical Horizon
    Moby
    Cake

A co worker at the restaurant I used to work at was friends with VH. They gave us free tickets when they came by the restaurant. In return, I gave them free food (I was the manager). :D
  • pmpboarderpmpboarder Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Yo, xxpigxx, that's an awesome story, man! Sounds like a fair trade to me. I mean, bands gotta eat, right? :cool:

Thanks for all the votes, guys! Keep 'em coming! We'll get CAKE in Rock Band eventually. :)
  • creamcheesecreamcheese Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    so uuh, cake fans.

sorry this is off topic, but I this is as good a place as any to ask my question.

I'm not sure if you can help, I'm trying to track down a song I THINK might be a Cake song, but I'm not sure. Many years ago now, probably 9 or 10, back in my student radio listening days I heard a song as I was driving along and I loved it, but being that I was listening to student radio (I guess you guys call is College Radio in the US) they neglected to say who it was, and I promptly forgot about it, then I heard Going the Distance a short while later and it reminded me strongly of this song I'd heard before, and this time the DJ actually said who it was by (I'd never heard of Cake back then).

My powers of deduction (weak at best) lead me to the conclusion that if Going the Distance was so reminiscent of this other song, perhaps it was a Cake song too. I went to my local record store and asked to listen to their only Cake album in stock, and nothing sounded familiar. So here I am many years later prompted by pmpboarder's sig in one of the other threads to finally and meanderingly (probably not a real word) ask my question.

Is there a Cake song out there, that deals with some kind of cat burglar or other sneaky theme? I can't remember the tune at all, or any of the words (I'm sure you guys love a challenge) with the possible exception of something about 'a thief in the night'. I remember being captured by the story as much as the song itself, and Going the Distance really did remind me of it, also Cakes general sound reminded me of it too.

Any Ideas? (apologies for the rambling)
    edited February 2008
    Wow, I'm stumped. :confused: But like you said, I do love a challenge. And I would really like to help. So, If it was 9 or 10 years ago, then that narrows it down to their first three albums, which were released in 1994, 1996 and 1998, respectively:

image image image

Do any of those covers look familiar from when you were at the record store? If so, point it out, and, since you said you've already listened to it, that will narrow it down to the other two. That is, if it's even a CAKE song...

Also, I have tons of links to music videos, live performances and even MP3 samples in my initial (5-post-long) post of this thread. Check those out, and see if any of them ring the bell.

Is there anything else you can tell me about the song? Think hard. It's somewhere in your head.
  • Silent SnootchSilent Snootch Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    Short skirt/long jacket and Sheep go to heaven would be my choices.

This is an awesome thread. Very well put together. I am a big Cake fan from Sac and would love to see them in this game!
  • frostboy74frostboy74 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    Not a fan of Cake, but the song "Sheep Go To Heaven" is a classic in my book.
  • TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited February 2008
    Wow this is a really well made thread, I would be up for any cake i could get my hands on.

pretty pink ribbon is my current favorite though
  • TakeABowTakeABow Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    My favorite Cake song would have to be Comissioning A Symphony In C.

Agree with my numbers or not (since you haven't rated the song yet) I would say:

Guitar: 13 (some downtime, but there is a solo)
    Bass: 14 (Simple, but elegant)
    Drums: 14 (Fun to play **I play this song on real drums)
    Vocals and Lyrics: 14 (Fun, interesting lyrics)
    Overall Quality and Band Energy: 26 (amazing song, but not brimming with energy)
    Misc: 10 (All Rock Band part friendly)

Totaling this all up we get: 91%
  • Isaac9erIsaac9er Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    "I Will Survive" would be one of the best Bass songs on RockBand. Has my vote. I would love to see Cake on RB.
    edited February 2008
    Hey, thanks for all the compliments on the thread, guys! I'm glad you appreciate the work I put into it. (And it's still not even complete yet!) With all your votes, the Most-Wanted CAKE Songs post is finally taking shape. Let's keep it up!

Feel free to vote for other additional songs, too! There's no limit to how many votes you can cast, but please keep it reasonable. I understand the "I want EVERY SINGLE CAKE SONG in Rock Band" mentality better than anyone. So if I can refrain, you can, too.

Thanks, TakeABow, that helps a lot! I'm listening to "Commissioning a Symphony in C" right now, and I have to agree with your numbers. Unless you object, I'm gonna use your breakdown. I'll tweak it a little to match my layout and will give you credit. :cool:
  • Mister_DerpMister_Derp Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Wow. I created an account just so I could reply to this thread. Cake would be absolutely PERFECT for Rock Band.
    The Distance
    I Will Survive
    Comfort Eagle
    Stickshifts and Safetybelts
    Short Skirt/Long Jacket
    Shadow Stabbing

Too many to name. In fact, that would be the only drawback to having Cake DLC. No matter what they pick, there will always be another song that I wish they had put in! I think they can solve this by having every Cake song ever made. :D
    edited February 2008
    Mister_Derp;298639 said:
    Wow. I created an account just so I could reply to this thread. Cake would be absolutely PERFECT for Rock Band.
    The Distance
    I Will Survive
    Comfort Eagle
    Stickshifts and Safetybelts
    Short Skirt/Long Jacket
    Shadow Stabbing

Too many to name. In fact, that would be the only drawback to having Cake DLC. No matter what they pick, there will always be another song that I wish they had put in! I think they can solve this by having every Cake song ever made. :D
    Haha, thanks! I'm glad this thread could encourage a fellow CAKE fan to create an account! Thanks for your votes, too. Your input is the main reason I created this thread. I'm thrilled to see it so active! I knew I could round all the CAKE fans up. :cool:
  • sandswipesandswipe Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    **** yes.

My picks for cake pack 01:
    Distance
    Stickshifts and Safety Belts
    Love You Madley

picks for cake pack 02:
    I will survive
    Sheep go to Heaven
    Let Me Go

03:
    Shadow Stabbing
    Arco Arena/Comfort Eagle (use AA as an intro, even if it's not supposed to be- only way it'll get in)
    Short Skirt, Long Jacket
    . . .
    . . . .

picks for cake pack 20:
    Opera Singer
    Daria
    Open Book

and I don't want HMX to stop until we get to the end.
  • skyking613skyking613 Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    I cant believe I havent seen this thread before.
    Hell yah we need some Cake in RB.
    I absolutelly love cake too. I have been asking for Cake since I got Rock Band.
    edited February 2008
    sandswipe;304391 said:
    **** yes.

Distance
    Love You Madley

picks for cake pack 02:
    I will survive
    Sheep go to Heaven
    Let Me Go

03:
    Shadow Stabbing
    Arco Arena/Comfort Eagle (use AA as an intro, even if it's not supposed to be- only way it'll get in)
    Short Skirt, Long Jacket
    . . .
    . . . .

picks for cake pack 20:
    Opera Singer
    Daria
    Open Book

Major win for that post. And thanks for the votes. That's a great idea with "Arco Arena" as an intro to "Comfort Eagle"! I never thought of that before, but it's perfect, and is indeed the only way it could get in the game. Unless Harmonix can get their hands on "Arco Arena (Vocal Version)"... :cool:
    skyking613;304469 said:
    I cant believe I havent seen this thread before.
    Hell yah we need some Cake in RB.
    I absolutelly love cake too. I have been asking for Cake since I got Rock Band.
    Better late than never! Thanks for finding it and sharing your thoughts. ;)
  • em3rica89em3rica89 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    This band sucks. I would like to see Tool in rock band.
  • BAntboyBAntboy Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    Seriously though, I'd LOVE to have some Cake in Rock Band. I can't say I'm a hard core fan, but over the past 10+ years, they've put out some great stuff, and sandswipe's suggestions for Cake Packs sounds perfect.

I'd buy all 3 of those in a heartbeat.
    edited February 2008
    BAntboy;306071 said:
    Seriously though, I'd LOVE to have some Cake in Rock Band. I can't say I'm a hard core fan, but over the past 10+ years, they've put out some great stuff, and sandswipe's suggestions for Cake Packs sounds perfect.

I'd buy all 3 of those in a heartbeat.
    Awesome. :cool:

He actually had 4 packs, though. So, just to be clear, do you mind listing the songs again, so I can officially tally your votes? Thanks.
  • pinkbrassmonkeypinkbrassmonkey Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    i just love this thread. i heard 'i will survive' in my friends car on sirius, and it was crazy good. needs to be in rock band. i'm gonna look into more songs by them now.
  • an1m051tyan1m051ty Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    sandswipe;304391 said:
    **** yes.

Distance
    Love You Madley

picks for cake pack 02:
    I will survive
    Sheep go to Heaven
    Let Me Go

03:
    Shadow Stabbing
    Short Skirt, Long Jacket
    . . .
    . . . .

picks for cake pack 20:
    Opera Singer
    Daria
    Open Book

I think at this point you'd be looking in Guitar Hero's direction....I hear they are the ones that devote entire game entries to one band (in case you haven't heard, one of the three or so GH games coming out this year is all about Aerosmith). But, to that end, at least it would be cheaper by a lot!:D
    edited February 2008
    pinkbrassmonkey;314590 said:
    i just love this thread. i heard 'i will survive' in my friends car on sirius, and it was crazy good. needs to be in rock band. i'm gonna look into more songs by them now.
    Thank you! I'm thrilled to see this thread encourage you to check out more of their music instead of voting for the third option in the poll! And I agree - "I Will Survive" is, as you say, "crazy good." :cool:

If you need suggestions on songs to listen to (for the sake of listening, not necessarily Rock Band compatibility), let me know!
    an1m051ty;314621 said:
    I think at this point you'd be looking in Guitar Hero's direction....I hear they are the ones that devote entire game entries to one band (in case you haven't heard, one of the three or so GH games coming out this year is all about Aerosmith). But, to that end, at least it would be cheaper by a lot!:D
    Haha, that's a good point. But then, look at The Police. In a couple hours, the 5th song of theirs is gonna be in Rock Band. Then one more next month, if that schedule remains unchanged.

I'm not saying it's likely CAKE would receive the same amount of attention (or sales) The Police get, but with full albums coming out, some bands are gonna get lucky.
  • smoomoo31smoomoo31 Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    Wow, you sure did go into great detail. I appreciate the hard work! My girlfriend probably would explode if Cake was released as DLC.
    edited February 2008
    smoomoo31;314729 said:
    Wow, you sure did go into great detail. I appreciate the hard work! My girlfriend probably would explode if Cake was released as DLC.
    Haha, well, we wouldn't want her to explode. I haven't thought about what would happen to me if and when CAKE gets some DLC... :rolleyes: Anyway, you should ask her what CAKE songs she'd like to see the most! Her votes are as good as anyone registered for the site, as you'd buy them for her and she would play them!

Also, thanks. It has taken a lot of work, and I'm still not done. I've run out of room in all the posts, so now I've gotta figure out how I can merge the list I've made with the list determined by the votes... :confused:
  • smoomoo31smoomoo31 Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    I'll see what she wants!
  • smokeverbssmokeverbs Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    3 Million kudos for this thread, and the thoroughness of it, but what would we do with the horns?
  • AbaddonAbaddon Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    smokeverbs;314775 said:
    3 Million kudos for this thread, and the thoroughness of it, but what would we do with the horns?
    Same thing we do with the keyboards in Won't Get Fooled Again --- listen and enjoy :D

I would love to see a Cake three-pack:

The Distance
    I Will Survive
    Guitar

I mean, more than a three-pack would be great too, but probably unrealistic.

[EDIT] Forgot to add, there is already a Chico band (Mother Hips) in Rock Band so there should really be a Sactown band represented too.
    edited February 2008
    Abaddon;318847 said:
    Same thing we do with the keyboards in Won't Get Fooled Again --- listen and enjoy :D

I would love to see a Cake three-pack:

The Distance
    I Will Survive
    Guitar

I mean, more than a three-pack would be great too, but probably unrealistic.
    "Listen and enjoy" -- Great answer! I like that. :cool: Thanks for the votes! Looks like "The Distance" and "I Will Survive" are the two everyone wants! It's a little too early to tell, with only 9 votes for each, but still. The next song ("Sheep Go To Heaven") has 7 votes.

Tell all your CAKE-loving friends! We need more votes!
  • FlameSama1FlameSama1 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    I'd like to see Short Skirt, Long Jacket and Never There as singles in Rock Band.
    edited February 2008
    FlameSama1;318920 said:
    I'd like to see Short Skirt, Long Jacket and Never There as singles in Rock Band.
    Nice. Both of those are at the very top of my list, too. :cool:
  • greatghandigreatghandi Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    Signed up just to say The Distance would rock out my face! :cool:

Could anyone who's been on these boards for a while give me an idea of how seriously Harmonix takes these suggestions?