What were the last TV shows you watched?

This discussion was created from comments split from: What were the last TV shows you watched?.

Was tired of seeing the banned icon for the OP.

Carry on.

Comments

• I am binge watching Band of Brothers for the first time.

A+ and I am only half way... well... 60%
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    BoB is awesome. Prepare to cry near the end. :p
  • BoB is awesome. Prepare to cry near the end. :p

True story.

I don't know what hit me harder, the concentration camp or the actual soldiers talking at the end.

I was ready for both but the realness was incredible.

Having to round up the victims and put them back in the camp would have been horrible. Granted, they would have died if let loose or given solid food but taking food away from starving people, even when it's for their own good, is just ****ed up.

And I agree, watching the actual soldiers is a tear jerker. :)
  • edited July 2014
    The decision to bring in the townsfolk that were "unaware" of the atrocities to bury the dead was a really good punishment/truth dose.

Seems odd they announce Japans surrender but not a word of what led to it.

Is The Pacific an even close second to BoB?
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited July 2014
    Just about done with season 2 of Prison Break. It seems it's best if you don't try to make sense of it all and just strap in for the ride -- sort of like the later seasons of 24.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    I've been watching Farscape (nearing the end of season 2) and re-watching Dollhouse (just finished season 1). I was surprised by how much I'd forgotten of the latter. My memory's not as good as I thought it was.
    edited July 2014
    Amazing to think that Wentworth Miller probably thought kissing Sarah Wayne Callies was icky :p

One thing I'm still not clear on -- what exactly did "The Company" get out of framing Lincoln for Terrence's murder?
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    edited July 2014
    It's been a while since I watched but I'll try my best here.
    It was always my understanding that framing Lincoln was partially to get revenge against his father which I believe his father even mentioned that. The other thing was political power you see throughout the first 2 seasons that The Company are the ones pulling all the politicians' strings.

The writers attempt to further explain The Company's motivations later on, but it's very difficult to make sense out of it all.
  • AzureAngel17AzureAngel17 In Space!
    edited July 2014
    I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as though a million voices suddenly cried out in terror, then were silenced.
    Doc_SoCal said:

Was tired of seeing the banned icon for the OP.

Ah, the last vestiges of the Old Republic have been swept away.

I am your father.

On topic, I don't find myself watching much TV since my local cable provider finally encrypted the local channels. Do Youtube series count? If so, then my current favorites are Jim Sterling's Jimquisition, various perspectives on the current season of Mindcrack UHC, anything and everything produced by LoadingReadyRun, and the ever delightful Far Lands or BUST!
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    24's "Live Another Day" miniseries ended in style. So, so happy it came back, and hope to see it again in the future.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited July 2014
    Doc_SoCal said:

In my opinion, no. It's worth a watch to get an insight into the Pacific theater of operations, but I don't think it holds a candle to Band of Brothers.

I honestly feel what lets it down is that it focuses on three characters in three separate areas instead of one company. To me it didn't feel like a cohesive story.
  • Doc_SoCal said:

In my opinion, no. It's worth a watch to get an insight into the Pacific theater of operations, but I don't think it holds a candle to Band of Brothers.

I honestly feel what lets it down is that it focuses on three characters in three separate areas instead of one company.
    Ahh, thanks for he heads up.

Sounds like I am better off watching Baa Baa Black Sheep reruns. :)

• RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited July 2014
    If you've got the time, it's worth it to watch it once. I just think I had high expectations for it and, for me when I watched it, those expectations weren't met. Even my dad agreed that it felt like something was missing from it.

I think it's because of it being really heavily character focused it ends up glossing over a lot of the combat, whereas Band of Brothers was character focused AND gave the fighting the right treatment it deserved due to the historical weight of it all. With The Pacific, something as important historically as Iwo Jima is only really seen in the last 10 minutes-ish of one episode. My dad and I both kind of felt like "that's it?!?" after that one.
  • It's slightly weird watching things out of release order. And by that I mean different series. Robert Wisdom and Chris Vance joined the cast of Prison Break in season 3, and it's hard for me not to think of them as Burn Notice alumni, since I watched through that show first. But season 3 of Prison Break occurred years before either of them appeared on Burn Notice.

Just kinda something that was on my mind.
  • daxx1970daxx1970 110% Awesome
    Just finished binge watching Breaking Bad. I had never seen an episode before I started or knew much of anything about the story. It's great to watch the whole story in a week or so.

Now I'm 2 episodes into Orange is the New Black. Apparently when women are in prison they will hug and hold hands with each other...among other things. Who knew?
  • I wouldn't watch that one with any little Daxxes in the room.
  • daxx1970 said:

Just finished binge watching Breaking Bad. I had never seen an episode before I started or knew much of anything about the story. It's great to watch the whole story in a week or so.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I felt it was best to decompress and take everything in after each and every episode. I never once watched 3 in a sitting, and I only watched two when one ended on an obvious cliffhanger. I felt all through my watch, which took months, that watching them all in just a few days would take away a lot of the impact.

Glad you liked it, though.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    daxx1970 said:

Now I'm 2 episodes into Orange is the New Black. Apparently when women are in prison they will hug and hold hands with each other...among other things. Who knew?

I wouldn't watch that one with any little Daxxes in the room.

Definitely not for kids, but definitely a worthwhile show.
  • Just about done with Prison Break season 3, and I loved it. Not at all the precipitous decline I was led to expect.
  • Now I'm one episode into season 4, and damn if it isn't already a jumbled mess. I wonder, did Chris Vance know all throughout season 3 that his character
    really was part of the Company? Or....I guess he actually wasn't, considering what that Homeland Security guy said?
    Did Jodi Lyn O'Keefe know throughout season 3 that her character
    was lying about Sara being dead?
    I'm guessing the answer in both cases is a resounding no. Holding things back from actors can occasionally be brilliant -- it worked well in Breaking Bad when Bryan Cranston wasn't told that Walt was actually lying when he told Jesse that
    he wasn't responsible for that kid getting poisoned
    , but it seems a lot more scattershot in this case.

And about
    Sara actually being alive....boy I don't know. I dig the character and I dig Sarah Wayne Callies, but this is like trying to un-ring a bell. I didn't like it when 24 brought Tony Almeida back from the dead either, despite likewise being bummed about the death at the time. Also, why was she even killed off in the first place? Did she price herself out, only to have the terms become agreeable again for season 4? That seems....unlikely. Michael wanting to avenge her death seemed like a compelling storyline for season 4, but it's all out the window pretty much immediately.

How did T-Bag, Bellick, and Sucre get out of Panamanian custody? So Sona burned down....that means the soldiers with guns a mile down the road burned down, too?

This whole team thing to bring down the Company seems like an interesting premise, and I don't mind shows reinventing themselves, but it's a bit more grandiose than anything in previous seasons, even the road trip extravaganza that was season 2. The show has seemed more to be about smaller, more (for want of a better term) intimate settings. And I'm really worried about the episode count. Season 3 being 13 episodes seemed perfect. I thought Sona was a compelling setting, and I'd have watched more stories told there, but 13 episodes made everything nice and tight. No fluff, no filler. Season 4 being 24 episodes, longer than any previous season (and longer still with the "Final Break" TV movie, which isn't on Netflix), is troubling. Season 1 bore out being nearly that long because of the wonderful slow pace it took. Season 2 surprisingly did so as well (both were 22 episodes). I don't think season 3 would have and I don't think season 4 will. But I still think I'll watch it all.
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited July 2014
    the old ball and ball is making me watch breaking bad and i dont care for it. we are already on the third season so at least i'm past the halfway point.

first 2 seasons were specially uninteresting since i watched them when the show came out. ironically i'm the one that suggested the show to him.
  • Ball and Ball..... I am friggin dying over here...
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    edited July 2014
    @SheSaidSheSaid‌ The Final Break is on Netflix. It's considered part of season 4 and should be at the end. The episode on Netflix is titled The Old Ball and Chain / Free.
  • Oh. Good. I admit I hadn't scrolled ahead yet, I was just going off the episode list on Wikipedia. I guess it's like the Burn Notice movie then. If you punch up "Fall of Sam Axe" in the search, it'll give you "Titles Related," same as if you punch up "The Final Break." Glad it's actually there. I get the feeling I won't end up hating the rest of this season, but I doubt it'll compare favourably to the first three at all.
    edited July 2014
    I'm planning to do a little project over the coming weeks and months -- a full rewatch of Seinfeld, with an eye for whether the episodes would work nowadays.

I plan to write a brief review and analysis of every single episode. My question to all you lovely people is whether I should do that in this thread or start another one. Which would be least annoying? I see pros and cons to both.

And I had another thought about Prison Break, long as I'm here -- it's not exactly clear to me what charges all of them are looking to escape by finding Scylla. Lincoln killed a dude in the season 4 premiere, Bellick's still on the hook for killing Geary, Sucre was never cleared of the charges for which he was incarcerated in season 1, and Mahone has more kills than a volleyball player. But Michael? He was exonerated of the charges he racked up in seasons 1 and 2, if I recall correctly (do I not recall correctly?). Do the American authorities care about him breaking out of Sona? Why would they? And Sarah? She was exonerated by Kellerman's testimony at her trial. She did kill a dude in Panama, but a) only she, Michael, and Lincoln know about that, and b) didn't Michael take the fall for it? Wasn't that the whole reason he was in Sona, at least as far as the Panamanians were concerned?
  • That Seinfeld rewatch/analysis sounds really interesting. I would go with a new thread for that.
    I'd start a new thread, it'll be fun to go over those old episodes.

And stick with it. The summer movie thread I started fizzled out after the first week. :p I need to get on that before summer's over.
  • MarlboroMarlboro Road Warrior
    Drunk History is the best thing Comedy Central has done in like forever.
    I haven't seen it but have watched the original Funny or Die sketches online. Perhaps one of these nights we can do some Drunk History on GTAV. :p