What were the last TV shows you watched?

Comments

• The lip syncing is amazing.
  • Prison Break just did a corkscrew somersault over the shark. It's right about halfway through the season. I could live with the Ocean's Eleven-style caper heist the show had become -- it was hokey, and completely unlike the earlier seasons, but it was watchable. I don't think the second half of the season is going to reach even that standard. This is just swerving for the sake of swerving, with no thought to past continuity, and that's just a load of crap.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Finished "Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23" and am sad that there is no more to be had. The series as it aired in production order was fantastic and had a real sense of momentum. Also, it was funny as hell.
  • Oh FFS Prison Break is just getting stupid now. I've come this far, I can't cut and run now, but holy Moses did it go precipitously downhill mid-season.
  • Well, I finished Prison Break. That was an ordeal. (That said, the Final Break TV-movie or whatever you want to call it was a nice sendoff -- and gave some actual purpose to the completely-out-of-nowhere and seemingly totally unnecessary ending to the "proper" series finale)
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited August 2014
    LoopyChew said:

Finished "Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23" and am sad that there is no more to be had. The series as it aired in production order was fantastic and had a real sense of momentum. Also, it was funny as hell.

it was very poorly received. i found the blonde chick to be super annoying but van der veek was pretty funny. he should have his own show.

i'm still churning through breaking bad, i'm now on fourth season which at least i haven't seen. tho i think i have seen a few of the episodes already, not too sure. i remember the walt scenes with the ghost of the lab nerd. hopefully i'll be done with it by the end of the month.

other than that i've been watching extant. i don't recommend it. i don't know why i watch it. i got more range than halle berry and that includes female roles.
  • MarlboroMarlboro Road Warrior
    The Leftovers has really grown on me. The first three episodes did not even feel like HBO. It seemed like the show was so desperately trying to capture this edge, but coming off just incredibly tame.

This last weeks episode finally delivered.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited August 2014
    BachiGminor is REALLY into American Ninja Warrior... so that means I am, too.

I'm also slightly embarrassed to admit that my and my wife's guilty pleasure is Big Brother... So, yeah judge all you want.
  • topdrawer said:

it was very poorly received. i found the blonde chick to be super annoying but van der veek was pretty funny. he should have his own show.

All of the characters had their own arcs and became better people for it as the show progressed. ABC decided to air six or seven episodes out of the original 13 or so, however, and mixed the remaining ones into Season 2. I honestly think the show really suffered for it, seeing the broadcast order (versus production order).
  • I totally forgot that Whose Line was back and now I have two whole seasons to watch and I'm laughing so hard my eyes are just like eternally full of tears and happiness and yay.
  • LoopyChew said:

topdrawer said:

All of the characters had their own arcs and became better people for it as the show progressed. ABC decided to air six or seven episodes out of the original 13 or so, however, and mixed the remaining ones into Season 2. I honestly think the show really suffered for it, seeing the broadcast order (versus production order).
    Too much network involvement has ruined plenty of great shows.
  • Thankfully, Netflix has it in production order (or intended order, anyway). It works quite well like that.
  • Just finished up Futurama. With misty eyes, I might add :')
  • Now peeling one off the Netflix list -- Fawlty Towers.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Marlboro said:

Drunk History is the best thing Comedy Central has done in like forever.

Drunk History and Nathan For You are two of my favourite comedy series at the moment. So weird to say that about Comedy Central series, especially since they are both reality(-ish) shows.
  • The Legend of Korra is on a hot streak right now.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert

Now peeling one off the Netflix list -- Fawlty Towers.

One of the greatest sitcoms of all time.
  • Shotgunned Season 1 of Silicon Valley last night and don't regret it. So much fun, so much comic buildup, and the climax is a fantastic payoff to the dramatic arc of the show.
  • Been watching some Lie to Me as well. Wish that show had a longer run.

I've been reading everyone's posts in Mekhi Phifer's Brooklyn accent too :p
  • Mythbusters ax'd the Build Team. That's a bit of a surprise. I thought at first the show itself was being cancelled, but that's not the case. It's been since, what, the first or second season of the show that Adam and Jamie were the only cast members?

That's one of the few shows I'd like to be able to catch in first-runs but can't. I enjoyed watching through the episodes that are on Netflix (roughly half of the total number).
  • Seriously, that Legend of Korra finale. So awesome and so heartbreaking at the same time. This season was ridiculously solid and ranks amongst some of the best Avatar seasons in general.

Does nobody else here watch Avatar: The Last Airbender and/or The Legend of Korra? I feel like people miss out because it's western animation.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    I watched A:TLA for a while when it originally aired, and I remember loving it. I really should rewatch it and then check out TLOK. I hear really good things.
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    edited August 2014
    LoopyChew said:

Seriously, that Legend of Korra finale. So awesome and so heartbreaking at the same time. This season was ridiculously solid and ranks amongst some of the best Avatar seasons in general.

Does nobody else here watch Avatar: The Last Airbender and/or The Legend of Korra? I feel like people miss out because it's western animation.

I absolutely loved Avatar: The Last Airbender, it's one of my favorite TV series. As for Legend of Korra, I haven't caught up on it yet. I've only watched the first 2 seasons, but so far it hasn't really hit the level of awesome that TLA did. I also though season 2 was a little disappointing. Even season 1 had some flaws despite still being quite good.

Overall I like both shows, but I like Avatar: The Last Airbender a lot more. The movie on the other hand I would rather pretend never existed.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    Watched the season premiere of Doctor Who. It was surely interesting, to say the least. Capaldi being a bit more cynical than past Doctors does perk my interest, since I like funny, cynical people. The plot of this one overall was solid, though I do have one qualm with it, but I don't really want to talk about it here due to spoilers (unless I can find a way to hide text again); it involves a reoccuring theme of the past few seasons that suddenly became either irrelevant or just ended up being disregarded.

Aside from that, it was a solid season opener. I'm curious to see where it goes from here, and will continue to watch.
  • LoopyChew said:

Seriously, that Legend of Korra finale. So awesome and so heartbreaking at the same time. This season was ridiculously solid and ranks amongst some of the best Avatar seasons in general.

I absolutely loved Avatar: The Last Airbender, it's one of my favorite TV series. As for Legend of Korra, I haven't caught up on it yet. I've only watched the first 2 seasons, but so far it hasn't really hit the level of awesome that TLA did. I also though season 2 was a little disappointing. Even season 1 had some flaws despite still being quite good.

Overall I like both shows, but I like Avatar: The Last Airbender a lot more. The movie on the other hand I would rather pretend never existed.
    I don't want to oversell it, but Korra Book 3 is definitely a step up from Book 2 and I think up there with ATLA Book 2. (I use "Book" because technically Books 1 and 2 are Season One and Books 3 and 4 are Season Two because weird production reasons.)
    Oh, I didn't realize that Books 1 and 2 were supposed to be the same season. I always assumed they were separate.
  • They're only the same season from an episode-order point of view. For all intents and purposes, Books 1 and 2 function as two separate seasons; they have two different narrative arcs, two different sets of recurring casts, an entirely new animation house for the first half of the season (honestly, the show suffered for it; the second half goes back to the original one and looks so much better), and so on. Thus, the "technically they're one season" distinction.

Basically, Nick ordered 12 episodes for the Korra mini-series, and then at some point during production said, "let's give you the back 14 episodes for a full 26-episode season." Then later, they said, "we're giving you another 26 episodes! Season 2!"

Animation "season" production is always kinda weird and different from live-action season production. I like the whole behind-the-scenes, inside-baseball kind of view when it comes to TV (and entertainment media in general), so I can't help but make these kinds of distinctions, so don't let these random asides I make influence the way you view them. Books One and Two are basically Seasons One and Two the way people think of TV seasons. You'll never see a "The complete first season" box set containing Books One and Two.

(Incidentally, this is one of the fun things about the Breaking Bad season collections. You'll notice that Season 1-4 have "The Complete [x] Season" on it, but Season 5 has "The Fifth Season" on it. That's because it and "The Final Season" are actually both technically Season 5--AMC ordered a 16-episode fifth season to be split into two eight-episode halves--so you'll never see a box labeled "The Complete Fifth Season.")
    Is book 4 still going to happen? It's my understanding that Nick stopped airing book 3 episodes in the middle of the season, but still distributed the rest.
  • Book 3's latter half aired digital-only, but yes, Book 4 is entering production as we speak.
  • Can anyone recommend a silly comedy for Netflix watching? My current comedy standby is.... Family Guy. And it's not really doin' it for me. I like to have both dramas and comedies at the ready, and I've got dramas up the wazzu on my list, but precious few comedies.