Did you really like DC spotlight?

Comments

• BTW, for a "party" I would choose Just Dance. DC is more focused on routines learning. The fact that the shop songs are next to your song collection is very disturbing for kids and ppl not used to videogames. For me, DCS is not very party-friendly.
  • Yes i agree, they do not have much characters to use and the dance central 3 has better gameplay and i like the undercontrol thngy and i advice to harmonix that they must add more characters and better choreos and better gameplay and better outfits like undercontrol . No hard feelings harmonix just an advice so the heaps of people will buy your games because that is from my obsevation .
  • Tamponax said:

There is a back dancer who looks like Glitch... with boobs xD

Seeing Glitch being tall is one thing, seeing him as a girl is another. (I think there are like 3 different girl Glitches in the game)

• Tamponax said:

BTW, for a "party" I would choose Just Dance. DC is more focused on routines learning. The fact that the shop songs are next to your song collection is very disturbing for kids and ppl not used to videogames. For me, DCS is not very party-friendly.

At this point, Just Dance will probably cream Spotlight. I'm on Dance Central's team all the way, but Spotlight's suffering from many fatal blows. A lot of DC fans are focused purely on the recycled moves, but the game's plagued with bugs, has graphics far worse than previous Dance Centrals (just look at Bodie), has absolutely no personality and starts off with a small song library.

It was very refreshing to find reviewers giving Spotlight low scores, instead of perfect 10s just because it's a new Dance Central. Several reviewers on MetaCritic docked huge points off Spotlight for its graphics, lack of multiplayer modes and (le gasp) the game being as dead as a rock in terms of personality. One reviewer mentioned there being absolutely no life in the much loved characters-THANK YOU! :) :) The magic put into the characters is a bulk of the magic that separates DC from everything else, in addition to original choreography!

The ones giving it low reviews only praised it for making good use of the Kinect's technology, which it does, but really, what else does it do?

After reading those reviews, I feel like Spotlight was a plate of burnt toast compared to the 5 star meals previous DCs were, and still are. Because whether you're honed in on the recycled moves, or bothered by the bugs, Spotlight being even more boring than a speck of dust or the song library, we can all agree the effort was not the studio's finest. Even if the game is $10. I think it should've been $5, and I adore the routines.

Sorry, Glitch. I feel really horrible, but even you don't work out for me because you don't talk. Not even to your bff Mo. I love you but this isn't working out.

• ER_Mac3ER_Mac3 Opening Act
    Gotta be honest, this game if not THAT good... I'm having fun though, it's a little fun to collect the moves, see new mashup routines (even though I'd rather see authentic stuff).

And well, glad these reviewers are taking the scores seriously, and not just some "8.5 to push a casual game into people" stuff. It's a game, and it created expectations in fans and more casual players also, it's been a serious product for some time due to it's dimension and I think Harmonix didn't pay attention to this when they took a decision for this format of game. I mean, it's an "Xbox Live Arcade Game", so for Spotlight, I couldn't see any place better to be released since it seems like a test for future projects, BUT this should've been more clear maybe, would've avoided all this criticism. Pretending that this game was bringing a complete and authentic DC experience was never a good idea since I listened to it in podcasts and interviews. Saying that the game would bring "authentic routines" was even worse. So I guess the comunication failed when the team wasn't clear about the game's intention, that doesn't seem to be the sequel for DC3, it's even called Spotlight and not DC4, so it was right there in our faces, but still hard to guess with so many expectations. People wanted to believe that this was a proper revival after a 2 years hiatus, but then, that's it!

It doesn't even develop further on Kinect technologies, so I still wonder what are they trying to accomplish... They're using the same detection from DC1~DC3. Maybe they're just testing this new kind of business that focus on the songs instead of the dance experience, and I guess that's where it fails. DC is known for selling good routines, and not only fresh songs. It's not like the choreographers are discardable, and the whole thing can be built and maintained out of fresh songs with recycled routines, emotionless characters, absolutelly ignoring all the aspects that were unique to the franchise. And then there's also all the people asking for a new game, and well, maybe it was just a lot rushed, and that's how it is now... Hope the team makes the most out of this opportunity to discover what to improve next! :D
  • Malorey said:

This is my first DC game and I absolutely love it! I only bought it to do a bit of fitness and I just want to play all the time! :smiley:

Play dance central 1 to 3 and buy the dlcs, then tell us if u like spotlight

Thank you for bringing up the characters. Everyone's so laser-focused on the copy-and-paste routines, no one hardly notices the stars of Dance Central. They're pretty close to being mere icons because every drop of personality is gone. I just watched a DC3 video and there's NO WAY anyone can say Spotlight's better than DC3 because 3 just has a 1,000 times more personality. And Bodie. The REAL Bodie. Bodie isn't creepy in 2 or 3. He's adorable.

I agree with you on the graphics-until the stages light up, they're pretty bland.

To be fair, this is a dancing game so the base would have to be solidified before adding the coat of paint aka the characters (I really liked that analogy :p xD)

I do agree though that the characters don't have that spunk they did in previous games.

I hate riptides crew's redesign. in the recent Dance Central post they showed this picture of a beta emilia which made me very angry. i loved Emilia and Bodies DC2 and 3 design. the spotlight models feel creepy with their weird facial gestures (bodies smile) and the lack of personality along with their looks being taken away.
  • So DCS is basically:
    AWESOME SONGLIST
    AWESOME GRAPHICS
    AWESOME INTERFACE

TERRIBLE CHOREO
    NEEDS MORE CHARACTERS
    NEED MORE CLOTHES
    NEED CHOREOGRAPHERS
    AND THE CHARACTERS NEED PRESONALITY
  • TheFanofJDCTheFanofJDC Rising Star
    edited September 2014
    Boodie said:

NEED MORE CLOTHES

I feel like this is something that had to be removed in order for the game to come out September 2nd.

• edited September 2014
    Boodie said:

AWESOME GRAPHICS

I don't agree. It's far from what I'm waiting from a Xbox One game. 30fps, many slowdowns, washed out colors, empty places... The only thing I like is the good main characters modeling... but they feel a bit empty...
  • ER_Mac3ER_Mac3 Opening Act
    Exactly... The graphics are not even changed, they could be considered quite the same as always. The only aspects that feel improved are the lighting effects, unfortunatelly.

I hope in DC4 we get some awesome graphics to take full advantage of the new hardware we have.
  • I do like DCS graphics, and the characters movements is more human than before... I know that the game out too soon, but they could make more clothes by updating the game, also bring some characters back or even human new characters
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited September 2014
    As of today, I do NOT like this game. It's my first DC game so my issues are going to be different from what others here have had.

1. I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing wrong when I do it wrong. I can figure out what I'm doing right well enough and repeat it but doing wrong? Completely lost. There's was also at least one move displayed on the card as something entirely different than what the dancer on screen was doing. I also can't tell if I'm supposed to be switching directions like the dancer or it doesn't matter because the cards all one way. Some of the leg movements on the cards, I can't tell at all what they're supposed to be.

2. Since I have no idea what I'm doing wrong I have no idea how to correct it. I've tried practice mode and it was no help.

3. That "go practice" guy needs to be off by default, took quite some time to figure out how to turn him off. Why would you even want it on? Made me want to punch a hole in the wall.

4. Everything is locked with the songs. This would be like not being allowed to play a song on expert until you beat it on the other difficulties in RB. Characters? Ok. Whatever the bonus stuff is? Fine. Difficulties and modes? NO. Not ok at all.

5. Can't pick songs in fitness mode. I haven't played the other games so don't know if that's standard but it seems like it'd be a basic common sense option. Though I already made a topic ranting on that. If your counter to that is "you can select them individually!" well...see #4 and...

6. 1 & 2 combined with 4 & 5 leads to me feeling as if I've wasted money on DLC. I've got THREE songs I can't do anything with. For example the "weave" move in Alejandro doesn't go right. I have no clue as to why. It's simple enough. I've got similar moves down in other songs. But no. Not doing well with the side step either though again, similar moves down including the other side step type in the song. And now I can't advance. I can't choose a more difficult routine but more importantly I can't choose anything in the bottom row of the silly or fitness routines. Which maybe I'd enjoy and be good at. But as I can't select them because I can't do a move and have no clue as to why I can't do it I'm only left feeling EXTREMELY annoyed, frustrated and like I wasted my money on the dlc. Which is the exact opposite feeling any game should give.
  • Boodie said:

So DCS is basically:
    AWESOME SONGLIST
    AWESOME GRAPHICS
    AWESOME INTERFACE

TERRIBLE CHOREO
    NEEDS MORE CHARACTERS
    NEED MORE CLOTHES
    NEED CHOREOGRAPHERS
    AND THE CHARACTERS NEED PRESONALITY

feel you bro!!!
  • TigerDreamTigerDream Unsigned
    edited September 2014
    I'm surprised people aren't more upset about the no tracking of your high scores. I mean there is no way to know (unless you document it yourself) whether you ever got an all Gold Star performance or not or whether you did better or worse previously. Unlocking moves doesn't mean anything.

And absolutely no online multi-player of any kind, whether it's leaderboard, challenges, or a world dance floor like Just Dance 2015. DC used to be the gold standard for those of us who are passionate about dance. I still love DC, but Harmonix needs to make a better game. Just Dance is going to bring a lot of improvements in the 2015 release coming soon. I'm sad about that because DC brought a lot of innovation in DC1, DC2 and DC3.

But no new choreo and no tracking of scores is what is killing the game for me. I personally don't care about stories or characters. I'm more about learning the dance moves and becoming proficient.
  • wel stories characters and learn new moves (and hard moves for expert) and multiplayer (even online) the 4 things that harmonix has to be on the top on there list!
  • edited September 2014
    Artucus said:

wel stories characters and learn new moves (and hard moves for expert) and multiplayer (even online) the 4 things that harmonix has to be on the top on there list!

Words cannot measure how wonderful it is to find someone that acknowledges the whole Dance Central package, not just the choreography and gameplay modes. The magic behind the Dance Central crews, and the storylines, is what separates the series from (I will go ahead and say it) Just Dance, and every other dance series that has EVER been created in the history of gaming. If we were to take away the magic of the crews, and the incredible writing only Harmonix can produce, we'd be left with pretty much another Dance Dance Revolution series. Not saying anything against DDR; I have billions of precious memories playing it. But this brings me to a new point.

I watched a new Just Dance video and compared it to Dance Central: Spotlight. Spotlight has been stripped of DC's unique charm, which leaves it on even grounds with Just Dance. You turn them on, pick a song and, well, just dance. That's it. The only difference being the visuals and how you step to each song. So pick whichever choreography you like best, and there you have it. Everyone saying Just Dance is far superior to Dance Central has won this round, because there's very little separating the two this time.

Wait. Just Dance really has won this round. I've found dozens of comments about Just Dance having more gameplay modes, Twitch capabilities, online capabilities AND (drum roll) a much bigger song library. So yeah. In terms of creativity, I think the Dance Central series is better than Final Fantasy. But Spotlight has lost miserably this round, aside from Glitch who is absolute perfection.

I've got incredibly fond memories of the characters, as I was brought into the series by being introduced to them. I can't afford any XBOX so I can't play any of the games. It's all right when Dance Central fans say 'I'm just here for the routines', but when it's like 'who cares about the characters and/or storylines? I just want new routines' that makes me very sad. If that's all that's important, why not just play Just Dance or watch choreography videos on YouTube? Is Dance Central really the only thing that can teach anyone new moves? I don't mean to declare open war and attract blowtorches, but it makes me sad. It's like watching a Disney movie and saying 'who cares about the stupid, pointless characters? I'm just here for the animation. Give me pretty animation'.

Am I saying the choreography is not important? Not at all. It's incredibly important. The routines are also a part of what makes the series magic. I can't wait for new, original routines in the next DC myself. But to write off the other part of the package entirely breaks my little heart. :(

On another note, I just watch Latch with Glitch. I acknowledge being in the minority that cares about the characters, but Glitch, to me, is magical. Latch is my favorite song. I listen to it a million times a day and so I was pretty psyched to hear it had been added to Spotlight's song list. Personally I thought the routine was like watered down lemonade, especially compared to my ultra favorite #thatPower, but part of that might be because I love the song so much. Some moves were actually tied in with the rhythm of the song, which was a lot of fun, though.

Thanks Harmonix. I just hope it's transferred to DC4, DCX or whatever the next DC game is going to be.

I know the team is probably a kazillion, umpteen miles away from Dance Central now, except when it comes to fixing Spotlight's bugs. But I think this ENTIRE package needs to return:

-The full cast list (possibly with new, human characters, not more robots)
    No crews, fine, but they seriously just all need to come back.

-Either another campaign mode or at least DIALOGUE. Nobody wants a Story Mode? Everyone thought the Story Mode was strange? Fine. But can they at least go back to, I don't know, TALKING?

-Wait for it, everyone's favorite: NEW, ORIGINAL ROUTINES! (applause)

-More gameplay modes

-Another favorite, here it comes: BETTER GAMEPLAY MECHANICS!

-Graphics that take full capability of the XBOX One's technology

-The return of Twitch and YouTube uploading capabilities without everyone having to alter their audio

The songs I leave in Harmonix's hands. :)

• I don't think people understand what shape Harmonix is in. There isn't going to be a DC4. This is a cash grab because they are broke and as a studio have everything rolling on Fantasia which is going to bomb.

The only Kinect game that was great was DC. Nothing else carried or justified the device which is why they took it out of the box. They really should have had a full DC4 available for release with the launch of the system.
  • Let's hope Fantasia doesn't bomb so that Harmonix can make DC4 and Rock Band 4. Fantasia looks pretty good to me, I just hope it gets some more marketing because I don't know that too many people are even aware it is coming out soon. It is a AAA family title so it has a chance for success.
  • Really, DCS sucks, and Fantasia sucks evem more.... why they are making a entirely game like fantasia ? tha game could be a mini game of DC4, like: Maestro mode. DCS is waaaay far from DC3 production and gameplay. DCS is a waste of time... unless they are in need of money, because this game is all about sell without quality... the fierce mode of some songs are so non sense! the monstrous mode of wake me up its a waste of mode LOL, where the hardest modes?? I used too don't like the fact of the songs have difficulty, I always wanted every song to be ''Off the hook'' and if the person want to play it easy, than put on easy mode... But now I see that difficulty is important because 90% of the songs of this game is sooooooo easy that makes me wanna jump out of my window, and on the other DCs at least we used to get 2 or 3 off the hook as DLC, but now, nothing gets closer from that difficulty. I dream that one day they REMAKE ALL choreos that WAS MADE in DCS because I can't handle with so many bad choreos... ¬¬ but ate least for now we got a DC, and we can get distraction from this easy modes.
  • Hey everyone, not sure if this post is dead yet or not but, here I go.

I honestly hated DCS. When the announced I was seriously excited because I was a die hard fan of DC and just preferred it over JD. Why? Well for the simple fact it had the best choreographies in a dance game I had ever seen. JD's choreos were just too easy and most times awkward and they didn't entice me to play at all, where as DC's were a fin to master and to play for quite a long time.

I'm a somewhat experienced dancer and thus at that time JD was just to boring to play (by myself, with friends it's been always pretty fun) DC on the other hand was great as a one player experience since it was more challenging and rewarding as you progressed.

Now with DCS all the routines are made up with recycled moves from previous choreos which is terrible in m opinion, I had DC as a very well made game that wouldn't sacrifice quality for quantity. So for my DCS is just terrible. I have tried playing it a lot and TRIED to like it but I have just not been able to do so. From someone who's almost mastered all DC1 DC2 and DC3 choreos, trying to dance DCS's routines are really boring. The routines feel awkward, like the moves I've learned were strung randomly together and it just doesn't feel at all rewarding.

But, it's only my opinion. I see a lot of people like it. I just yearn for a DC4 that can deliver great original routines.
  • To me I like the concept of DCS but when it comes to innovation Harmonix you've lack of it. One other problems I saw is that all routines were recycled from the previous DC and back then you've promised were gonna see a whole new dances, and the characters are to creepy and not so life like And still miss some aspects from the other and one of your picture of the beta you've should have stick on how they'll look, and part of all it that most of the characters you've chosen weren't that popular,yes some of it but mostly of them were not slot of my friend whom was a fan of DC said to me that Angel, Jaryn, oblio, Lil'T, weren't on the game. And the menu was to confusing if you asked me mixing the DLC and the game songs was to much for me. But ether way DCS is still awesome and fun to play but if you guys have given more time and changes it will be just awesome as from the previous franchise, yet as much as an advice stop wasting time on the other franchises you've have and make DCS a better game and change a lot on it including the characters, choreograph as you people may have forgotten the DC franchises was your number one game and I hope you'd make dcs a whole make over. PLEASE......