Have you lost save data in Dance Central Spotlight? Help us track down this issue

HMXchristineHMXchristine Harmonix Developer
We've heard from a few people that have mysteriously lost save data for Dance Central Spotlight after having played for a while and then come back to the game. Our team has a few questions for you. If you could answer them, it could really help us figure it out. Below the questions is a troubleshooting suggestion that we believe will prevent you from losing save data again.

QUESTIONS:

1. Was a gamerpic was showing up next to the depth buffer [the little Kinect screen in the upper left corner]?
2. If so, can you confirm it was indeed the gamerpic for your profile?
3. Do you have multiple profiles setup on your kit?
4. Is your Xbox setup as your home Xbox? Details from http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/my-home-xbox
a. Go to Settings
b. Select My home Xbox from the left side of the screen.
c. Review the information, and then select This is my home Xbox to designate the console as your home Xbox, or select This is
not my home Xbox to remove the designation.

TROUBLESHOOTING SUGGESTION:

Delete your profile from your Xbox One. Reinstate your profile. Reconnect your profile with your Kinect sign-in.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide more details to help us solve this issue.

Comments

• edited September 2014
    1. Was a gamerpic was showing up next to the depth buffer [the little Kinect screen in the upper left corner]?
    Since buying the game, my gamerpic only appears on the right side. I have no idea how to switch sides. When my wife joined a game (she has her own profile), she appeared as "Guest", in blue, on the left side.
    To answer your question, I went to my Xbox One and I appeared as the default shape (the white figure). I had to restart Dance Central to make my gamerpic appear.

Yes, on the right side is my correct gamerpic. I changed my gamerpic last night in Xbox One menus as a potential fix. It did not work, but it continues to show the correct gamerpic on the right side.

"kit"? On my Xbox One, I have two profiles: my own and my wife. I am the primary user. As noted above, in the one evening she played, her gamerpic was "guest"/default on the top left.

4. Is your Xbox setup as your home Xbox? Details from http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/my-home-xbox
    Yes, I have confirmed.

TROUBLESHOOTING SUGGESTION:
    Did not work. I deleted the profile and reinstated it on the Xbox One. I loaded up Dance Central Spotlight and it said it was synching with the servers (or something to that effect). Nothing changed.

Other troubleshooting that I attempted:
    In addition to changing my gamerpic, I uninstalled and reinstalled the game. No change.
    EDIT: I should note the full problem and the current status:
    According to my Xbox One achievements and record, I have 145 "moves" unlocked and a number of achievements. In Dance Central Spotlight, I was reduced to zero unlocked songs, had to redo the introduction, and all my settings were reset.

This occurred after my wife joined for a few songs. I was already in game and she joined. She was recognized by the game as "guest" on the upper left in blue. She and I stopped playing, but did not turn off the game in the Xbox One (I don't recall if we shutdown the Xbox One).

When I came back to the game, my gamerpic was still on the upper right, but it was now blue instead of purple. When I waved my hand around on scree, the hand icon moved, but I could not click on any buttons. I tried the grab and slide, but the game made a rapid clicking noise and the screen did not change.

I went to the Xbox One home screen and manually shut the game down. When I restarted it, I was met with the introduction screen that required me to dance to the intro steps. I then performed a hard reset of my Xbox One by holding down the icon on the front of the console for 10 seconds. Restarting the game, I still had to do the Introduction as if I was a completely new player. When went into the game, everything was reset.

I then changed my gamerpic based on comments here. No effect.
    I then deleted the game and reinstalled. No effect.
    I then played the game a bit and was able to open some of the same basic moves I had already unlocked. This did not have any effect, such as "waking" up the other moves or anything else. It was as if I was a new player.
    I then deleted my profile from the Xbox One and reinstated it, per the troubleshooting suggestion here. No effect.
  • 1. Was a gamerpic was showing up next to the depth buffer [the little Kinect screen in the upper left corner]? Yes.
    2. If so, can you confirm it was indeed the gamerpic for your profile? Yup.
    3. Do you have multiple profiles setup on your kit? Yes.
    4. Is your Xbox setup as your home Xbox? Details from http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/my-home-xbox ; Yes, it has always been like this.

Listen, it was fine earlier today. However, I turned off my xbox, turned it back on later in the day, and poof. New player. All the moves, classified players, etc are gone. The achievements have not been reset, though.
  • this kinda sucks but then again kinda helps me towards some achievements lol hopefully you guys can patch soon heres my info oh and 1 more thing so everything reset EXCEPT "Turn down for what" and last time i was on i shut off the xbox right after finishing a song came on today reset the game cuz it wasnt showing my stats and had to redo the tutorial and everything is beginner except turn down for what
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. No
    4. Yes

• Just lost all of mt data in the middle of dancing..... it showed my profile pic....and the next second it didn't which made me notice it. No other profile on my xbox and its set as home. I hope this is being fixed. ..its very disheartening that the quality of a game I loved so much has deteriorated. Please do better.
  • SuperSonicRiderSuperSonicRider Rising Star
    edited September 2014
    I'm not able to play the game at the moment but I'll quote @invincible_geek‌'s post from the main issues thread here as it seems to provide the most insight on the (possible) source of the problem:

The save glitch may be related to the Xbox's profiles and standby mode. When I started DCS for my first session of the day today, I booted up my Xbox from standby and it loaded DCS before it signed into my in to my profile. As a result, all of my routines were reset back to normal. I closed DCS completely, reopened it, and all my unlocks were back. I didn't lose anything.

It could be that if the Xbox loads your profile after the game opens, the save file isn't utilized and is overwritten by any new progress. This also resets the tutorial since the game doesn't register that it has been completed.

So, as a possible fix, if you notice your routines are missing, DO NOT PLAY ANY ROUTINES. Instead, quit the game by pressing the Xbox button to return to the dashboard. Hover over the DCS window and press the Menu/Start button and select Quit. When you load DCS up again your save should load up normally.

I hope that helps.

Edit: I decided to test this a little bit, but not enough to risk my save file. I can confirm that Dance Central Spotlight doesn't seem to immediately load save data after launching from standby.

The result is that DCS assumes you haven't played before and that no Moves have been collected. The tutorial also won't register as completed. Based on my experience with the glitch on launch day, as far as I can tell, triggering an autosave in this state causes the original save file to be overwritten to reflect only the new progress you've made - you'll have to replay all the routines, and you'll also have to redo the tutorial when you relaunch the game.

I also confirmed that the "fix" above worked during my tests - Close and relaunch the game and your progress should load.

Also thanks you guys for actively working to fix these issues!
  • I just had this happen. Thing is, it remembered what routines I unlocked, it just didn't save the moves.

I always fully quite my games before turning off the system, and I always make sure to sign in before anything on the one.

I will try this fix later tonight and report back.
  • I haven't lost my data (fortunately) but the game tells me sometimes it is in synch and doesn't let me play. So i turn off the console and start up again. Does it have something to do with the internet connection?
  • Pyrochaos said:

I just had this happen. Thing is, it remembered what routines I unlocked, it just didn't save the moves.

I always fully quite my games before turning off the system, and I always make sure to sign in before anything on the one.

I will try this fix later tonight and report back.

Just wanted to update this as I was able to get my save data back deleting my profile and re adding it.

Some notes I should add:

My console was my home console.

I am the only profile on my xbox.

I noticed the lost progress when I tried to play 2 player. When my wife stepped in as a second player on my left. If everyone having this issue has used 2 player, it might be worth looking into.
  • I had this happen tonight. A few things to note:

I walked off screen to get some water (should be ok to get some water when dancing right?). Also, I like to use the controller to select songs instead of motion controls, the push forward doesn't work that well for me.

I noticed at some point that it was saying guest at the top of the screen when I started using the controller.

After logging in as me again by quitting and restarting the game, it said it was me, but I don't see my gamer pic on screen. It'd be nice if it showed the name of the logged in user, so I knew which box I was supposed to be looking at. I also logged myself into the left square at some point, because I didn't know what the two boxes were trying to show.

Looking forward to playing more, but going to wait for my progress to save first.
  • 1. Yes, my profile image was showing up at the top right.
    2. I can certainly confirm it's my gamerpic, as I only have two accounts on my console.
    3. I do have another profile but I never use it.
    4. Yes, my Xbox One is setup as my home Xbox.

I attempted the troubleshooting suggested but that did not recover my data.

I would like to explain what happened before I noticed all data was gone. First, the night before my data was all there, I've been eyeing a song in the store and figured I'd buy it the next day. My GF came over and I bought the song then and there. Once the song downloaded I told my GF to try it out first, so I stepped away from the Kinect camera and let her walk in front of it. Then it seemed to be trying to switch profiles since my GF stepped in front of it, after a bit of loading on the top right buffer my profile picture came back on with my GF standing in front of the Kinect. I didn't think much of it at the time, so I was telling her to go ahead and play, but it made her do the tutorial and calibration, from when you first start playing, I was confused as we've switched who is playing freely before without this happening, and again, I didn't think much of it, I thought maybe it recognized she's a different person and wanted to set itself up specifically for her, I thought once I'd step back in front of the Kinect it would all be fine and show all my data. I think when my GF stepped in front of the Kinect it tried to create new data for her, but since it was on my account and her account is not on my Xbox it overwrote my own data for this "new player". I'm not sure if downloading the song from the store had anything to do with it as well.
  • I changed my profile pic today, and then I could start playing and saving progress again (lost all of it that I had made), and I didn't want to change my pic, because it was a custom one of my avatar that I liked. But I changed to a boombox, played for a while, then created a new one of my avatar and it at least loaded my progress from the boombox save. Hopefully this doesn't happen again, I'd rather not start all over on beginner again.
  • I'm replaying everything and it sucks

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. No
    4. Yes
  • ZJ11197ZJ11197 Opening Act
    HMX this Is Ridiculous, Just unlock all the Routines for us beuase playing Beginer and Deluxe to get to Pro is Such a Waste of tiime!
  • ZJ11197 said:

HMX this Is Ridiculous, Just unlock all the Routines for us beuase playing Beginer and Deluxe to get to Pro is Such a Waste of tiime!

1. yes, on the right
    2. yes
    3. no
    4. yes
    5. Please Let us know if a fix is coming.I don't want to slog through all the beginner routines then find out that a fix is coming
    6. create a hotfix to allow those with this problem to just unlock all the routines,
  • Hey guys, we're continuing to dig. Could you please tell us if you have ever suspended the game (such as by shutting it down with a light tap on the Xbox One power, not pressing and holding, or by opening multiple apps while the game is runnign).
  • Hey guys, we're continuing to dig. Could you please tell us if you have ever suspended the game (such as by shutting it down with a light tap on the Xbox One power, not pressing and holding, or by opening multiple apps while the game is runnign).

I always suspend my Xbox. What's the point of having a complete shut down? I have a feeling this affects the problem.

• edited September 2014
    I haven't been able to play in a week (Edit: because I've been busy; not game related). I turn my Xbox off with a light touch on the front face of the console. I played no other games this week but did watch TV through the Xbox One.

I started up the game a few minutes ago and it was still at the last screen I had played.

I've lost all my data AGAIN. Nothing is unlocked anymore. I went to every song that I RE-UNLOCKED (Edit: After I lost everything the first time) and it was back to beginner for everything.

I went to the Xbox One main screen and shut the application down and started it again. I now have to go through the training BS again.

You folks have some big problem that you need to solve ASAP.
  • 1. Yes. I started up DCS from stand by mode and walked away for about 30 seconds to get a drink of water. When I came back the Kinect recognized me and I saw game wanted me to redo tutorial. I had played game earlier in the afternoon without any problems and all my progress (about 3-4 hours earlier). PLEASE NOTE: I saw under "game management" a new save file. There were 2 save files, one with my gamer name and a new one with 0 kb size. I tried the fix listed on this site and it didn't do anything to save my progress.

2. Yes, gamerpic was on profile.

3. Only one profile.

4. Yes, Xbox set as home Xbox.

a. Go to Settings
    b. Select My home Xbox from the left side of the screen.
    c. Review the information, and then select This is my home Xbox to designate the console as your home Xbox, or select This is
    not my home Xbox to remove the designation.
  • 1- No
    2- N/A
    3- No
    4- Yes

I got this issue only once, after a complete shut down. Hope this helps
  • I apologize for posting this very late, but something that helped me was deal was also deleting all DCS save data from the cloud and just restarting. That got rid of the bug and some glitches.

1.) Yes
    2.) Yes
    3.) Yes
    4.) Yes
  • nekowolf91nekowolf91 Unsigned
    edited March 2015
    Also I believe everyone should make sure they are not continuing a previous game of DCS when they turn the console back on from sleep mode. (I have noticed this since I have been making sure to completely turn off my Xbox One instead of making it go to sleep mode.) If you do find yourself in the game or the Xbox goes to your home menu and you can still see DCS playing from the song completion screen, I usually push the home button or say "Xbox home" then pushing the menu/start button (on the right side of the home button) or "show menu" to bring up DCS menu then exit the application. I think it is from that and may be also way people are not getting the 1 week achievement because the game still might think they are still playing on a previous day. This is all that I noticed when playing and a method that worked for me, hopefully this might help others!!

Edit (3/26/15): please note this message was made when DCS was first released with the "reset" glitch, which kept resetting the save data after closing out the game. Harmonix did fix this in a patch which you should not need to do this anymore. This did only fix mine when the glitch was still in the game. Please use this method only as a last means and under your own discretion.
  • As far as I can tell the game never saves progress when it is shut completely down, either via a the menu button and Quit from the XBox One home page or through a console hard reboot (instead of a soft shutdown to Instant-On mode). At this point I am getting fairly fed up with having to redo the tutorial (why on earth is the tutorial mandatory anyway?)

I use the game as follows: I do one song at a time at various times throughout the day when I have a spare moment. As I am also running the TV through the console I usually end a session by going back to the home page and launching the TV application (either via my media remote or via voice commands). The game does retain progress when I switch back to it (presumably there are different code paths for storing the state of the game when suspended vs actually storing the progress to a gamer's profile?)

The ability to switch between multiple apps and games is a core feature of the XBox One and should also be supported fully by DCS. I hope you are making progress in resolving these issues as they are rendering what is an otherwise very enjoyable game into a frustrating experience.

The console is my Home XBox and I am always signed in. There are no other profiles on the console.

• Our latest patch we believe will resolve this issue! Let us know if anyone continues to experience an issue once they've installed the newest patch, but hopefully this is a case closed! (Pretty please :) )
  • Let us know if anyone continues to experience an issue once they've installed the newest patch,

How can one tell if the patch is installed? I'm not completely familiar with how game updates work on the XB1 yet.

• @Rogue_code When you start the game, it goes to a screen telling you a new update is available. You select Start Update and it automatically downloads the update.
  • @stw1984‌ : that probably doesn't apply if you've set the console to download and install updates automatically?
  • I am having this issue, I am patched up to date and have all the correct settings as above. Just tried to do the 'talk nerdy' achievement. It didn't unlock, restarted my xbox and all of the songs I had just played through have disappeared like the game hasn't saved either. So basically the game is unplayable as I cant unlock new routines and I keep losing progress. Help!
  • @marksterliverpool‌ : Does this happen repeatedly? Could you try uninstalling and reinstalling your gamertag on the c console, and then making sure the game is recognizing that you're playing under your own gamertag? While there are known crashes, we aren't hearing that they're connected with then losing all progress. Is ALL your progress gone, or only what you've done in the last play session? Are you playing online or offline?
  • @marksterliverpool‌ : Does this happen repeatedly? Could you try uninstalling and reinstalling your gamertag on the c console, and then making sure the game is recognizing that you're playing under your own gamertag? While there are known crashes, we aren't hearing that they're connected with then losing all progress. Is ALL your progress gone, or only what you've done in the last play session? Are you playing online or offline?

So we just tried this with my wifes account because anytime we would try to play the game it would make you go through the tutorial again. It would also not remember progress for several songs (mainly dlc). This isn't an issue now because once we uninstalled her profile and reinstalled it she lost all of her progress for every song on this game and all of her progress for other games she had played. The cherry on top of this when she started over and did a few songs over again once we signed in again and started to play it made her do the tutorial again.