Multiplayer Crash Issue

Hi all! If you're having this issue, please give me your details below;

1. When are you seeing this crash? (When getting Achievements? Always? You don't remember?)
2. Please let us know what Achievements you have unlocked.

There may be more questions down the road, but that's for starters. Thanks!

Comments

• Im from Brasil, so forgive my english.

So last night i was playing with my cousin she dont have any profile in my console.
    The game works fine, but when i dance with my girlfriend, she have a profile in my console, the kinect active her profile.
    When we dance with two profile active, always in the end of the dance, the game freeze and make a buzzing sound.

Its always happen when i have two active profile, when i have just my profile nothing happens.

• Same thing that Dezenove, two player ,after getting an achievement or saving a clip the game crash, buzzing sound and get to the dashboard . Not always but quite often
  • It happens every time an achievement has popped during multiplayer when we have two profiles signed in.

This even happened when the character selection achievement popped on the character selection screen, and multiple times during songs when achievements for mastering moves popped.
    We have been unable to even dance half a song without a crash.
  • 1) Almost every time achievements pop. Can be an achievement for one person but happens when two people are signed in to Spotlight.

We had the same issue as ROBBTFF above with a crash when changing characters and both getting the "Character Assassin" achievement.

Once achievements are out of the picture, the game is perfectly stable.

I'm in Canada if there is possibly any region version issues involved.

2) (please ignore the double wording on the name of the achievements...I just copied and pasted from my profile on Xbox.com)

Achievements

Gold News

Gold News

Earned Gold stars on a Deluxe or Pro difficulty routine.

Unlocked 1 day ago

Routine Maintenance

Routine Maintenance

Played 100 routines.

Unlocked 1 day ago

Total Pro

Total Pro

Unlocked all Pro routines.

Unlocked 2 days ago

Character Assassin

Character Assassin

Switched between dancer characters.

Unlocked 2 days ago

Beginner's Luck

Beginner's Luck

Played every Beginner routine.

Unlocked 8 days ago

Collector

Collector

Collected at least 100 moves.

Unlocked 9 days ago

Deluxe Model

Deluxe Model

Unlocked all Deluxe routines.

Unlocked 9 days ago

Besties

Besties

Used the same dancer character for 10 routines in a row.

Unlocked 9 days ago

Set a Standard

Set a Standard

Unlocked all Standard routines.

Unlocked 9 days ago

True Bromantic

True Bromantic

Collected a "Bromance" move anywhere in the game.

Unlocked 10 days ago

Multiplication Tables

Multiplication Tables

Earned a Multiplier of at least 32X on a Deluxe or Pro difficulty routine.

Unlocked 10 days ago

Semi-Professional

Semi-Professional

Unlocked a Pro routine.

Unlocked 10 days ago

Do It, Duet Now!

Do It, Duet Now!

Played with a friend.

Unlocked 10 days ago

Friendz

Friendz

Danced through a Freestyle section with another player.

Unlocked 10 days ago

Lap of DeLuxury

Lap of DeLuxury

Unlocked a Deluxe routine.

Unlocked 10 days ago

Standardized Testing

Standardized Testing

Unlocked a Standard routine.

Unlocked 10 days ago

Viva Variety

Viva Variety

Unlocked an Alternate or Alternate Pro routine.

Unlocked 10 days ago

Collector's Item

Collector's Item

Collected at least one move.

Unlocked 10 days ago

Now Introducing…

Now Introducing…

Completed the introduction to Dance Central Spotlight.

Unlocked 10 days ago

The Future Is Now

The Future Is Now

Player identified by biometrics.

Unlocked 10 days ago

• I really hope this issue is a priority.
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    I had it crash playing multiplayer when the early achievements popped, like unlocking a new routine or for playing a song with two dancers. Can't remember the specific ones off the top of my head, but it kept happening repeatedly until my friend stopped earning achievements.
  • Crashed after a 10 minute fitness run with my wife. Of course it took 10 minutes to get the game to recognize her as a player buts that neither here nor there.
  • I'm not playing the game again until this is fixed, as we only play in multiplayer and the game is just unplayable for us as it is :(
  • New crash scenario. (well, new to us)

Two players logged in both with Kinect recognition.

Played "Airplanes" and I received the "Über Düper" achievement about half way through the dance. We winced waiting for a crash but the dance continue right up until the point that the finisher dance card was active and then the game locked and crashed.

We restarted and continued to dance.

A few songs (on Heart Attack) later, my wife (who was the other player logged in) received the same achievement . Again, the game did not crash right away but the song continued until the finisher dance card activated and froze and crashed in the exact same manner as when I received that achievement.

This is an improvement as it let us finish the song, but obviously still crashing. Just wanted to post this in case it helps at all.
  • edited September 2014
    I finished the Pro routine of Fat Boy Slim's "Weapon of Choice". My girlfriend (who has an Xbox Live account registered as a family account) joined me on the routine choice screen. The Xbox recognised her and signed her in and then we were zoomed out to the Xbox main screen (no buzzing, looping, visible glitches, etc). When going back into the game it loaded from scratch.

Now no matter who is logged in we cannot get past the swipe to begin screen. The game crashes as soon as it gets to this screen and goes back to the Xbox main page. I have tried unplugging the Xbox from the wall for 10 minutes (after quitting the game, powering off the console and waiting for the harddrive to stop audibly spinning).

So put simply now I cannot play the game at all and neither can my girlfriend.

Help!

EDIT 1:

Followed @Xbox_Support's advice (still no reply from @Dance_Central)

This did not work.

EDIT 2:

Removing my profile, power cycling (including removing the socket from the wall for 2 minutes) and re-adding my profile did not work.

EDIT 3:

Changed my gamerpic again (just in case) and still no joy.

EDIT 4:
    I have uploaded a video of the issue:

May I remind you (Harmonix) that you have a responsibility to fix this issue or refund me in full (including all the add-on content and console which the retailer will not refund due to it working) as per https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds

Please remember that the section "Penalties for displaying notices" completely obviates Microsoft's "no refund" policy as your product is faulty.

I merely wish to know when I can expect fixes to these bugs as my next action if you choose to ignore/delay is legal (there is no ombudsman step unfortunately due to the nature of this problem and the need for a console refund).

EDIT 5:
    The following video (hopefully) demonstrates the issue furher:

EDIT 6:
    Please remember that Xbox offer refunds

When Xbox rung me a "Harry" helped me out. Its not fixed yet but he has offered hope:
    1. Delete your saved data from the console (under Manage Game) DO NOT DELETE EVERYWHERE.
    2. Power off by holding the console power button for 10 seconds.
    3. Disconnect from the Internet.
    4. Power on and sign in.
    5. Launch the game, get past the "swipe to play" screen.
    6. Go back to the Xbox main screen (do not turn the console off).
    7. Quit the game (do not turn the console off).
    8. Reconnect the Internet (you don't have to wait for Xbox live to figure out the Internet is reconnected).
    9. Launch the game.
    10. When offered to download settings from the cloud wait until the "swipe to play" screen appears and a few seconds beyond (if it crashes go back to step 1).
    11. Download your data from the cloud
    12. Try to unlock some achievements or complete some moves in routines so that your save data doesn't trigger this bug.
    By doing it in this exact sequence (no just deleting your saved data and redownloading it doesn't work) you have a slim chance of getting past that screen (managed it twice). Then do some routines and hope (pray if applicable) that your saved data mutates enough not to trigger this bug. Please note I haven't been successful yet.

Here is a video demonstrating when the complex workaround works:

EDIT 7:
    Now even Xbox Support's complex workaround isn't working any more and there is nothing else they can do:

I've spent too long on this and with Harmonix not replying to their customers in over 9 days there appears to be little anyone can do. I'll wait for the launch of Fantasia and if Harmonix haven't fixed any of these showstopper bugs by then (as in chasing the money and not looking after loyal customers) then I'll just get a refund for the game, my 63 add-on purchases and the console. Using that money I can buy an Xbox 360 and Dance Central 3 for a superior 60fps crash-free experience on a last generation console - thankfully Zumba and Just Dance work on both platforms.
  • 1. When are you seeing this crash? (When getting Achievements? Always? You don't remember?)
    In multiplayer we see it whenever either player gets an achievement. It may not crash until the end of the song but it always does after, never before.

2. Please let us know what Achievements you have unlocked.
    No idea off the top of my head.

This is a good game that appears to have needed better testing. This is not a difficult issue to reproduce, if you play multiplayer while connected to Xbox Live you'll see it. Can we get an update on where Harmonix' devs are at with debugging it? Maybe get it added to the known issues thread if they've reproduced it? So far we haven't heard anything official since the 11th.
  • I also had the multiplayer glitch. We tried 3 times then gave up, sorry friend no more achievements for you. Whenever he would unlock an achievement it would freeze, buzz loop then crash. Also his profile pic displayed and mine never has since I've had this game.
  • dfentydfenty Unsigned
    edited September 2014
    @METALSHARK Looking at your videos, I realized that your Dance Central Spotlight starts different to mine. Mine doesn't have the DC logo, nor Bodie and Emilia Cover shot, however, my Dance Central is updated and it works without the hick-ups you are having, very strange. @HMXJESSABREZ, any reason for the differences?
  • edited September 2014
    @DFENTY @HMXJESSABREZ all other games download updates correctly. I have uninstalled and reinstalled 4 times now (going through Xbox support steps). I can play Xbox video titles and have no weird firewalls, proxies or network gremlins (in fact apart from Open NAT there is no firewall and I do not use a proxy). According to Twitter support its meant to auto install fixes:

It could be something as simple as they only released the fix to North America as Europeans (I'm in England - the UK) and Brazilians have made contact with me saying they have the same issue.
  • I finally played some two player last night. It crashed three times. None of them were during achivements. It was always at the very end of the song right as the final score was being displayed. The screen would freeze up and there would be a buzzing noise for a few seconds. Then it would crash. We played a bunch and this only happened 3 of the times. I didn't notice anything especially different when it happened. I'm sorry, but I don't know the songs or routines we played. I didn't think to write them down.
  • @metalshark‌

Any patches we release are for everyone, not just US, but the patch just went out today (at least I think it's up today; people seem to say they're downloading it)!

If it doesn't fix the crash issue you're having, which IS being experienced by other players as well (but not everyone, which is part of what makes figuring this out so tricky), it'll at least now send us much better crash logs so we can figure out what's going on, because despite being a major issue for players (obviously!) it's not being easy to reproduce or figure out on our end.

So our update for now is to see how this patch works with everyone's crash issues, track any logs that come in, and use those to see if we can finally nail down this expletive bug. :)

Thanks for the in-depth details!
  • @HMXJessaBrez‌ as it is to do with my save state is there anyway that I can give you developer access to my data to help reproduce these bugs?

As a developer myself part of the frustration is the slow turnaround time. On this end I can certainly file independent indepth and reproducable bug reports if game state could be shared. Also with these patches could an easy visual clue be added to determine which version of DCS we are running?

Would you like a separate forum post in support for each bug with a subject prefix such as "DCS BUG:" and a video to demonstrate?
  • @HMXJessaBrez‌ The update provides some relief in the form of a 100% reliable workaround. If I start the game without an Internet connection I can get past the screen that causes it to crash then reconnect to the Internet.

There is a new bug though - even when you are not playing Dance Central Spotlight. The whole Xbox freezes for ~30 seconds (really annoying when you are playing an on-line game) and a green globe appears with a message saying that Maroon 5 Dance Pack installation has stopped.

All the tracks are installed - the dance packs show as ready to install.

Any suggestions to fix this?
  • Yesterday there was an update that solved many problems, but another bug appeared. The game froze, it was not possible to do anything. I messing with the system I found that the game crashes whenever the xbox is connected to internet via data cable. That's it. The Game of problems due to connection with data cable, when using wi-fi the game runs normally.

Wanted to share this with the Harmonix team so iff detail can be reviewed in a next update!Hello Harmonix,
    Yesterday there was an update that solved many problems, but another bug appeared. The game froze, it was not possible to do anything. I messing with the system I found that the game crashes whenever the xbox is connected to internet via data cable. That's it. The Game of problems due to connection with data cable, when using wi-fi the game runs normally.

Wanted to share this with the Harmonix team so iff detail can be reviewed in a next update!
  • @rodrigobrdc is it only at the screen after the Harmonix logo (when it says swipe to play) that it crashes when the cable is in or elsewhere? Currently I am unplugging the cable, getting past that screen and then plugging the cable back in.
  • I have been having this same issue since launch. After the update the game seems to still crash randomly with 2 people with profiles signed in. Can usually get through a couple songs, but it seems to crash most often on the song select page. It has crashed on the achievements numerous times as well, but less of those are showing up now.

Come to think of it, I can't recall ever actually 'exiting' DCS. Whenever it crashes is the frustrating end of a play session.
  • The worst problem now this, even taking the cable or connecting to wi-fi the game crashes and does not work as the video I made. I'm giving up on this game, this time just dance won the bunito harmonix, I hope boch matt again be the director of central dance, he's great administrator why the franchise was successful.

One present to Harmonix, one more video

• I wonder though, if the issue has to do something with those of another language. My DC works fine, no crashing, worst case scenario I have is long 'Updating Song List' that lasts about 2 minutes before I can play (I have a 50mb download speed with a ping of 15ms). I am using the English version and mine doesn't even start like yours, it simply goes from Dance Central Spotlight to , Music not rated by into HMX logo and then main title, no DC logo nothing. Perhaps HMX and DC team should approach it from that angle as well. @HMXchristine‌ @rodrigobrdc‌
  • Multiplayer achievement crash since update.

Ran in to an achievement my wife and I had not already gained. We of course winced when it popped, but there was no crash. Achievement popped after dance was finished as it was an achievement for stars (Talk Nerdy To Me). Since we were playing in fitness mode it carried on to the next song but then crashed at the end of that song.

Played a 45 minute fitness routine and experience no other issues than the crash above that I would still associate with achievement pops.

• Playing DCS for about 4 hours straight now... My X1 is set up to sign in people on sight so with a flat full of dancers, it's rare for there to be only one person signed in...

We're practicing "Wake Me Up" and "Happy" tonight and the game has frozen a total of 12 times so far... 5 times when achievements popped up, 7 times when the active player changed ingame.

The manner of freezing varies. Screen locks up and the sound is stuck producing a buzzing or shrill tone. Or it can just be a frozen screen and no sound.

Saying "Xbox Go Home" pops the system back to the Xbox Home dashboard where we have to manually quit the game and restart it.

The freezing is frustrating enough as it is but the bit that really hurts is the progress of some players are reset to nothing after the crashes. My affected flatmates were pissed after their profiles were reset to the tutorial after a crash. All their unlocked routines were gone.

Come on Harmonix... :(
  • The following does NOT solve the multiplayer crash issue, but some of my symptoms started (including the one where I couldn't play anymore at all) after attempting multiplayer for the first time:

Anyone who is crashing when connected to the Internet, crashing halfway or at the end of a song and/or has severe lag (more than 10 seconds) entering the choose song list may have the same issue Xbox resolved for me. Apparently licenses had been incorrectly applied to my account (yes I bought the game the normal way through the Xbox store). Getting the game + addons refunded then repurchased resolves but you'll likely need to jump through a months worth of hoops for the Xbox team to resolve this.

The name of the person helping my case was:
    Justen D.
    Escalation Analyst
    Global Escalation Support

Justen is not a typo BTW.
  • The worst problem now this, even taking the cable or connecting to wi-fi the game crashes and does not work as the video I made. I'm giving up on this game, this time just dance won the bunito harmonix, I hope boch matt again be the director of central dance, he's great administrator why the franchise was successful.

One present to Harmonix, one more video

@rodrigobrdc please see the comment above
  • Are you working on this issue??
    We have been waiting for the update to fix it over one month.

• chentotal said:

Are you working on this issue??
    We have been waiting for the update to fix it over one month.

It's the same question here.
    I am sooooo disappointed :( and more is my wife :(.
    It's hard to say to her: Ok, I buy like sunset overdrive and for you is dance central when this game won't work since the beginning :neutral_face:
  • Alas, we are still working on it, but have not got it solved yet. We're constantly trying new things, but the process of figuring out a new thing to try, submitting it for testing, then testing all takes a while. In a perfect world, one of our first attempts does the trick and hurray, problem solved! Not being the case this time. But we are indeed still plugging away. We've fixed a couple of the other crash issues along the way and are still focused on this one. Sorry it's taking so long!