New Rock Band announcement at PAX East?

Comments

• I hope the big announcement is that HMX has fixed the RB3 leaderboard API after seven months of broken-ness. :(
  • I would much prefer a new game... or a release date for Amplitude
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator

Rock Band games don't notoriously have long development cycles. Consider that they did GH Rocks the 80s in the spring of 2007 and followed up with Rock Band 1 by that november...

GH:80s was released at the end of July 2007. But that doesn't mean that Rock Band was developed in 3 months. Large developers typically have teams that work on different projects. According to Greg LoPiccolo, Rock Band took 20 months to develop.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    I bought an Xbox One at launch mainly for the possibility of game transfer and for Fantasia: Music Evolved and Dead Rising. I'm confident that Harmonix is actively coming up with a way for at least most of our songs to transfer.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    They are going to announce that Doug Click will be solely responsible for the soundtrack for an upcoming release of “Rock Band: Sayburr’s Favs”... It will be mostly made up of songs by Petty Morals because someone in that band needs royalties to help pay for pampers...
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited February 2015
    I have purchased my Ps3's only for the express purpose of playing RB. I will purchase a PS4 if the time comes...but I have to say, that I agree with Meat Popsicle, that there would be absolutely no reason to purchase a new platform just to play a slightly upgraded version of what I already enjoy now. if there wasn't something very special, new, exciting, and challenging about a new RB title on the latest platform, even being able to transfer all my DLC wouldn't be enough to entice 350 + bucks out of me unless my ps3's died. lol.
    But.... if HMX announces a New RB title with extreme tours, outrageous challenges, and awesome new tunes, I'd be all in.
    ....aw...who am I kidding. I'll buy, whatever comes. I'm rkbdgurl. :)
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    The leaderboards a broken? The were working fine for me last Saturday.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited February 2015

Rock Band games don't notoriously have long development cycles. Consider that they did GH Rocks the 80s in the spring of 2007 and followed up with Rock Band 1 by that november...

Guitar Hero Rocks the 80s wasn't really a full fledged game, though. It was more of a spin off or a track pack. Remember, this was made for PS2 and before DLC was a thing. The only way to get more songs out was to make a new game. It was essentially just a reskinned Guitar Hero II.

For more perspective, though. Green Day Rock Band was announced December 12, 2009, and released six months later in June 2010, and Green Day acknowledged being in negotiations back in Summer 2009. So it's safe to say Green Day Rock Band took roughly a year to make. BUT, GDRB is a notoriously rushed game and didn't get anywhere near the detail that The Beatles game had. I think Harmonix has even back tracked and called GDRB a track pack before.

Really, it depends how long Harmonix has "secretly" been working on Rock Band 4. Who knows, maybe it'll be more of a Rock Band 3.5, using the same engine, new songs, just ported over to new gen consoles (Rock Band 2 wasn't exactly a huge leap from Rock Band 1). I'd LIKE to think Rock Band 4 will be out around Q4 2015, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Part of me wants them to take their time and make it great, but on the other hand, we've already been waiting 4 and a half years!
  • HeXcodaHeXcoda Road Warrior
    Harmonix is causing me to spend a hell of a lot of money lately. I'll grant this is 1st World Problems; I bought a PS4 because of Amplitude. And if DLC and instruments carry forward, I'll buy an XBone to replace my XB360 I bought Rock Band on.

As for PAX East... they've already said they're pushing Amplitude, HMXVR, and City Never Sleeps. I don't know if they have ROOM for a big RB4 extravaganza alongside all of that. But if so, why make their pin a secret? Surely there's SOME new IP/title being announced, right?
  • tdc002 said:

Who knows, maybe it'll be more of a Rock Band 3.5, using the same engine, new songs, just ported over to new gen consoles (Rock Band 2 wasn't exactly a huge leap from Rock Band 1).

I would be completely happy with a refined and "gen'd up" RB3 released as RB4 similar to the RB1 to RB2 transition. It always seemed like that was missing to me.
  • tdc002 said:

The leaderboards a broken? The were working fine for me last Saturday.

The leaderboard API has been broken since July.
  • BVP2K10BVP2K10 Opening Act
    what is the leaderboard API and why should we care then?
  • Yeah, it seems silly, but the leaderboards motivated me a lot too. I'd find myself saying, "just one more song!" late at night, hoping to increase my ranking on a particular instrument. Either solidifying my best one, or working on my weakest. And I had fun guessing which of my song play-throughs would be listed on Facebook on Monday morning as my Top Rock Band Performances of the week, those stopped posting just about 2 years ago. But it does seem to still keep track of the rankings within the game, where it tells you which friends you just beat, or how many points you need to improve to pass them, right?
  • BVP2K10 said:

what is the leaderboard API and why should we care then?

Seriously?

The leaderboard API allows (allowed?) third party websites to access the leaderboard scores and do more with them than what is or was provided by HMX. The de facto standard being rockbandscores.com which allowed you to access all your scores for all or each instrument and also your band scores, provide you with rank information against the world, and even more fun-ly, do a comparison of your gamertag score's against a friend's and get a list of how you compare on each song. All in one place in one friendly format.
  • HeXcodaHeXcoda Road Warrior
    Judging from the PAX East survival guide just posted:
    http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/the-harmonix-pax-east-survival-guide-of-2015/

...I seriously doubt a grand RB4 reveal at PAX East. The focus is definitely on Amplitude, City, and VR.

But, there is a chance it'll be announced without any details, with the details yet to come at E3 (which is around the corner.)
  • There is indeed plenty for them to talk about already. But the way they have been teasing lately, they can't be surprised when every single question they get asked at PAX East is some variation of, "so, when is Rock Band coming back?".

Though I guess they get asked that all the time anyway.
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    I would think that if there were no Rock Band news to announce at PAX, somebody from Harmonix would have already contributed to this thread and others like it to dampen peoples' enthusiasm and soften the disappointment.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited February 2015

There is indeed plenty for them to talk about already. But the way they have been teasing lately, they can't be surprised when every single question they get asked at PAX East is some variation of, "so, when is Rock Band coming back?".

Though I guess they get asked that all the time anyway.

I'm sure that is the case though the DLC releases in the last 2 months will have largely increased the quantity of people asking about it. Before the January DLC announcement I'm sure plenty of people considered that new Rock Band content (DLC and games) would never exist again.

I'd have thought that if there was a new Rock Band game it would be revealed at E3 rather than PAX East. That said, it could just be releasing Blitz on current gen to get the very long process of releasing past DLC on those consoles initiated. Rocksmith 2014 only just had this process complete a few days ago and that came out 3 months ago with about 8 times less content.

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited February 2015
    I remember when Blitz was first getting teased, they noted that the title they were working on was something that would be of special interest to Rock Band fans, but that it wasn't going to be "Rock Band 4". So they were indeed careful about not letting expectations get out of hand. If they were planning on releasing Blitz (or a Blitz-like game) on the XBox One and PS4, with "a lot" of the DLC transferring over, that would indeed be big news right now. Though to be truly big news it would have to be followed with a suggestion (if not a promise) that they were hoping to follow it up with a plastic (and / or real) instrument based game at some point in the future.

Another idea that just occurred to me: maybe they are planning on having "Amplitude" able to play Rock Band DLC. Would you all consider that to be an epic announcement, worthy of your excitement? I'd be pretty pleased myself if that happened, but no, it wouldn't be "Rock Band 4".

Or maybe it goes the other way: all (or most) of the Amplitude songs export to Rock Band 3. That would be pretty cool, right? But no, not Rock Band 4 levels of cool.

Then again, I am still unable to imagine that the current gaming world would support any game that requires a purchase of expensive specialized peripherals. So, if that kind of game really was unrealistic to hope for, what announcement could possibly be better than "Amplitude and Rock Band will use cross-compatible DLC, and that should allow us to put out a lot of new songs in the next year or so"? After all, without Blitz they probably would have pulled RB DLC long before they actually did. Whether or not it actually added extra demand for song purchases, they at least could have realistically expected it to do so, for 6 months anyway.
  • Cross-compatibility with Amplitude, either way, would be pretty cool. I've never played it, but I supported their kickstarter because I've heard of a lot of people liked the game.
  • Numskull said:

I would think that if there were no Rock Band news to announce at PAX, somebody from Harmonix would have already contributed to this thread and others like it to dampen peoples' enthusiasm and soften the disappointment.

that is a dangerous viewpoint.... they could easily be too busy getting ready for Pax or to lazy to say anything. I personally never take a lack of news as a conformation of anything

that is a dangerous viewpoint.... they could easily be too busy getting ready for Pax or to lazy to say anything. I personally never take a lack of news as a conformation of anything

"Climate change is a hoax" is a "dangerous viewpoint." My statement was merely a rare foray into cautious optimism.

• Numskull said:

"Climate change is a hoax" is a "dangerous viewpoint." My statement was merely a rare foray into cautious optimism.

yeah dangerous was not really the best word for me to use.... but still I will say that mindset will just set people up for disappointment
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited February 2015
    The folks at Harmonix were really good about tempering our enthusiasm in the lead-up to Blitz, and the mods were totally straight with us as DLC was winding down. But now, rather than cautioning us against over-enthusiasm, they are quite intentionally stirring the rumor mill, winking broadly while pointing to their "rising from the dead" DLC title choices. That doesn't mean that a full return of Rock Band is imminent, or even probable. But it certainly seems like a good time for them to consider the possibility.

They HAVE been quick to shoot down any people that hope for truly impossible things. We aren't getting more Beatles DLC, not ever. No, they can't forsee ever releasing more Track Packs or full albums. Yes, there are a few new songs out now, for the first time in years (surprise!), but they don't have the resources available to include Pro features. If they do wind up putting out still more songs in the near future, it won't be at any rate close to "weekly", and that new DLC won't have Pro features either. And no, they have no other announcements to make right now.

But other fan speculation? That is not being shot down. The return of Rock Band is no longer being described as a distant dream, something they would love to see happen as much as every one else, someday, but not something that is being discussed right now. The topic obviously IS being discussed right now. At least to the extent that they are testing the waters with new DLC and sending out a detailed survey. If you think about it, adding "but obviously the full return of Rock Band isn't going to happen this year or maybe ever" would be a terrible thing for them to do at this point in time. Instead, they are seeing just how much aniticipation for a return that they can possibly build up, to find out just how much pent-up demand for the title is still out there. Yes, they can be realistic about the situation internally, but they are still a business that we should fully expect to be focused on stoking enthusiasm for their product, not crushing it. And until they officially decide, "OK, the time isn't right for a full comeback after all", then no, they need not concern themselves over the possibility that people might wind up disappointed if that winds up as their conclusion.

YOU can go ahead and remind people of the cold hard facts though. Just remember that of all the people that truly crushed when their wishes don't come true, for many of them there is literally nothing you could have said ahead of time to get them to be more realistic about the future. Some people LIKE to dream big, and that's not so terrible.
    Harmonix's response when asked for comment on the Bloomberg article:
    We’re excited by how enthusiastic our fans have been in regards to our most recent DLC releases, and we think it’s awesome that people are speculating about the future of the franchise!

While we still don’t have anything to announce, hundreds of thousands of unique users are still actively playing Rock Band games each month. This passion our fans have shown for Rock Band over the years suggests that rock truly hasn’t died, and we’ve always been clear that we’d love to return to the franchise when the time is right.”
    Notably absent: An indication that "we do not have a new Rock Band title currently in development," or words to that effect. They've used that kind of statement on more than one past occasion, have they not?
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited March 2015
    ^ I like the way you think :)
    Thanks, but that's as optimistic as I ever get. In another week we'll probably see how right I was. Or how right I wasn't.
  • Numskull said:

Sorry, I've been WAY too busy with PAX East prep to come and rain on the parade. :)
  • MofoMan2000MofoMan2000 Rising Star
    hmxhenry said:

Sorry, I've been WAY too busy with PAX East prep to come and rain on the parade. :)

RB4 and Half-Life 3 confirmed.
  • Guys, just cool down. This is probably refering to Chroma and Amplitude. The question mark on the pin poster might just hint that they won`t be announced before they are available. Also I don`t think HMX would already announce RB4, even if it is in development, it probably isn`t in development for very long and so, most likely there couldn`t even be anything worth of presenting it already. So, please just come down from the hype train.