Ion drum / E-kit owners and RB4

meck77meck77 Road Warrior
edited March 2015 in Rock Band
Whats your guess on whether or not we will be able to use them for RB4 & how will they go about making it work for Xbox one & PS 4?? Guitars and mic's are completely replaceable no problem, i know I cannot dish out that much cash for another drum kit like the one I've built and I wont go back to the stock kits now. What's your take on it? Would you start all over with your drums if you had to?

Comments

• quida03quida03 Unsigned
    Please let me know when a MIDI adapter is available for Rockband 4 pro drums. That is when I will buy Rockband 4 an xbox one new guitars and mics. I love Rockband 3 and I love everyone at Harmonix for making it. I hope Rockband 4 is a huge success!
  • iistuiiiistuii Unsigned
    Will my ions work or maybe release an adapter ??
  • Northern_BlitzNorthern_Blitz Opening Act
    edited March 2015
    I'm hopeful that the answer is "yes".

(1) The announcement says that RB4 will still have pro drums. Since the Ions are the flagship pro drum, I hope they will work.
    (2) The IGN article I read said that the hardware compatibility issue was due to a change in wireless tech in PS4/XBONE. Since the Ions (mine anyway) are wired, I hope the compatibility won't be an issue.
  • Well if they do manage to get old gen instruments working on new gen consoles the old adapter should still work.... right? I hope so. I still have one of Seth's earlier adapters, from years before the Mad Catz one was released.
  • DentataDentata Opening Act
    I too would like the answer to this. In later years, I used a midi keypad (16 squares about an inch square each) for drums because it was a lot less noisy and a lot gentler on my aging body. If I can use that for drums in RB4 I'd be happy, the stock set never worked reliably enough for me.
  • QuastorQuastor Rising Star
    My going assumption is that those instruments that are USB are going to be compatible - all it should take is MSFT/Sony being able to recognize the devices and having the correct drivers available.

The wireless instruments will be a bit more of a challenge - my guess is these will require some sort of dongle in order for the instrument to connect.
  • vivisectvivisect Unsigned
    I'm also hopeful that the answer is yes. I love my ION drums and can't imagine going back.
  • DentataDentata Opening Act
    The issue with the Midi Pro Adapter is that 2 of the 3 settings no longer are supported, so they may not make the effort. I hope you are right Quastor, but I'd like to get an answer from HMX to be sure, once they know.
  • QuastorQuastor Rising Star
    Dentata said:

The issue with the Midi Pro Adapter is that 2 of the 3 settings no longer are supported, so they may not make the effort. I hope you are right Quastor, but I'd like to get an answer from HMX to be sure, once they know.

Fair, but to my knowledge the Midi Pro Adapter and the ION drum brain pretty much send the same signals. So if the Midi Pro doesn't at least have partial support (drums, but no guitar/keys), then they'll also be cutting out ION kits as well. So hopefully some amount of comfort there.
  • Agreed. I'm super excited to hear about Rock Band 4. I have an expensive drum kit and the current Midi Pro adapter, but I'm sure it only works on the Xbox 360 and not the One. I will gladly buy a new one for Rock Band 4. I can't go back to the plastic drum kit :)
  • Mitgong said:

Agreed. I'm super excited to hear about Rock Band 4. I have an expensive drum kit and the current Midi Pro adapter, but I'm sure it only works on the Xbox 360 and not the One. I will gladly buy a new one for Rock Band 4. I can't go back to the plastic drum kit :)

Ditto all this. I have an expensive drum kit and am more than willing to pay for a new Midi Pro adapter for the Xbox One!
  • GoofyboyGoofyboy Unsigned
    If they make old instruments compatible, I'm sure the old midi adapter will be too. All it does is transfer the midi signals into xbox controller signals. If the One can recognise a 360 controller, it should be the exact same thing because that's what it is.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat. I've been playing RB with my Yamaha kit since the adapter came out so I can't wait to get an answer for this. I will go buy an Xbox One just for this game in a heartbeat.
  • Untidy1Untidy1 Unsigned
    I'm hoping to see them answer this question too. I'd be bummed if I couldn't use my Roland kit with RB4. I imagine if Harmonix doesn't do it then some entrepreneur will start making and selling them like they did before the midi pro adapter came out so we'd likely be OK eventually.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    edited March 2015
    If the Ion controller doesn't work on XboxOne, then a new MPA will be needed and I'll have to drop $150 on an Alesis/DDrums Trigger I/O. That's $200.

I'll gladly do it to play my drum kit. :) Whatever the next upgrade was going to be will just have to wait a bit.
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    Mitgong said:

Agreed. I'm super excited to hear about Rock Band 4. I have an expensive drum kit and the current Midi Pro adapter, but I'm sure it only works on the Xbox 360 and not the One. I will gladly buy a new one for Rock Band 4. I can't go back to the plastic drum kit :)

Exactly
  • smitresmitre Unsigned
    edited March 2015
    This will be my reason for finally getting an XboxOne, but only if the current MPA or another solution allows me to use my drums for Pro. Looking forward to Harmonix clarifying the legacy MPA issue.
  • ReldanReldan Unsigned
    I still get a group together to play RB3 twice a month and have dropped hundreds on DLC over the years.

Keeping the MPA compatible or having a new one is absolutely huge for me, as being able to play my Roland kit is probably the main reason Rock Band has had the longevity it's had.
  • SeattleSauveSeattleSauve Rising Star
    I'm very hopeful they continue support for the midi-adapter for pro drums. Since they have said pro drums is supported, madcatz are making the peripherals (and made the midi-pro adapter), and since pro drums is the greatest thing since the dawn of the universe. I am hopeful it will be supported.
  • apple4everapple4ever Opening Act
    I'm hopeful the answer is yes too. Especially since it plugs in via USB instead of wireless, I would think it would be easier to support. But i'm not an expert on how they interact with the consoles.
  • DrvOvrItDrvOvrIt Unsigned
    Pro-Drums is why I bought an Xbox360 and then proceeded to become addicted to the game and more and more dlc. If pro drums continue to be supported via midi interface then I will purchase an Xbox One to jump onto the RB4 bandwagon. It would be great as others have said if peripherals like the ion adapter continued to work!
    My guess is yes. They plug in via USB, so they will probably be easier to support. Unlike the wireless guitars and drums which have a different protocol between consoles, USB is USB- the hardware there hasn't changed.

But if I had to, I'd like to just buy a new brain, but since my IONs are old, I wouldn't mind upgrading.
  • scorp121scorp121 Unsigned
    If the existing midi adapter (or the lack of a new one) doesn't work then I won't be buying it. Also, if there's no pro version same deal.

Otherwise it's an instant pre-order!
  • KoennKoenn Opening Act
    I play on a Roland e-kit connected to a MIDI Pro adapter. If they're going to make other previous-gen instruments compatible, I really hope the adapter doesn't get left behind.
    It's one thing to have your kits working on RB4, it's another to have a pro-version of the game.

IMO there's really no point in playing on your kit if there's no pro-version.
    They have said they will continue to support the pro drums, so I see no issue there.

They have said they will continue to support the pro drums, so I see no issue there.

Can you link me please? I read the official announcement, can't see it mentioning it.
  • MofoMan2000MofoMan2000 Rising Star
    I really hope a moderator can start merging the many different threads asking these same questions.
  • I really hope a moderator can start merging the many different threads asking these same questions.

Done. Oh it feels good to be modding again.

Has anyone here got an adapter and new gen console? There should be a way to see right now if it'll work, right? At least partially.
  • RiffRaff4711RiffRaff4711 Unsigned
    edited March 2015
    This is the one super important thing I'm waiting to hear firm word on. While I spent four figures (easily) on DLC, the amount I wound up sinking into my electronic drum kit is four or five times that. I can't imagine Pro Drums without being able to play on my own kit. If the existing MIDI controllers can't work and I need to buy a new adapter for it though, I'd be more than happy to!

BTW, I do take as a good sign the fact that Ion e-kits were being advertised on the official Rock Band Facebook feed less than a month ago.
  • czek1976czek1976 Opening Act
    Compatibility of The Ion Drums are a must! Can't afford another friend drum set.