Ion drum / E-kit owners and RB4

Comments

• LoopyChew said:

Well, having more than one MIDI pro adapter isn't a bad thing, since you never know when they'll stop being available (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, XBOX ONE KINECT ADAPTER), but I would also suggest the controller diagnostics before ordering new hardware.

So Toms 2 and 3 don't do anything in Rock Band? You've tried loading up a song and wailing away before the drums in the song start to see if they register? Same with the hi-hat?

yep...smdh..very frustrating..nothing registers
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited January 15

no notes register at all.yes its set to drums..the jewel lights up and i can use the midi pro to navigate the menu..etc...also the light on the midi were it lights up green when u hit a note lights up when i hit 2 pads only but doesnt register in game...

It sounds to me like the e-drum kit isn't sending the right MIDI to the adapter, therefore the MIDI Pro can't translate them properly for the game to recognize. This is how it should be set:

What you can do is try changing the Drum Sound setting for each pad (page 14 in your drum kit manual) to match those and see if it works. Try changing just one, the Kick for example, and see if it works. Aside from that, there is no other way in your kit's manual to change the MIDI for each pad. It might be that you bought a kit that just won't work with the MIDI Pro. Unfortunately that's the case in some low-end kits, you can change the sound each pad makes, but not the MIDI setting.
  • yeah..thanks for all the help..i think its not compatible im just goin to sell it to my buddy for 200 and get the alesis nitro kit for 300..is it a good kit?or what would u recommend on a small budget?
    Alesis Nitro is great for that price and a lot of folks here have been very happy with it in RB4.
  • edited January 15

yeah..thanks for all the help..i think its not compatible im just goin to sell it to my buddy for 200 and get the alesis nitro kit for 300..is it a good kit?or what would u recommend on a small budget?

What Drum Kit is it? was it https://walmart.com/ip/MONOPRICE-Electronic-Drum-Kit/47903110?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228035268464&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=75763550554&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-176012732914&wl5=9003688&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=47903110&wl13=&veh=sem#read-more
    -Twenty preset drum kits and twenty memory slots for user-defined drum kits
    it has the option to make your own Drum set-up (changing the MIDI pad values #'s)

Page 22 or your manual shows that everything should be set up correctly, pad # value wise.

1. Have you turned the cymbals on in the main menu of the RB 3 & RB 4. Push start on main menu and find and turn-on cymbals. (Also you would need to turn on drum navigation in these menus too. RB3 is in same menu as cymbals. RB4 has it on the main menu-options. Not under the start menu, as in RB3.)
    2. Make sure 360 MIDI box is on "D" setting (which you have said it is).
    3. Wouldn't bother with using the Hi-Hat pedal until you have kit working.

Everything is there and it should work. Have you tried just changing the kit sounds, the pre-set ones, and see if one works? Mine has 50 pre-sets and 40&41 work awesome.

Xboxone--->PDP Adpater---> 360 midi box---->midi cable---->drum module MIDI out

@CookieHead Jenkins
    GL :)
  • question...wouldn't the midi pro work out the box and register the pad strikes?turned on cymbals and drum navigation and still not registering hits...ive tried everything except memory slot..cant find where to change midi notes...
  • I looked at the manuals midi note assignment and they should work, so...I suspect that your Midi Cable is dodgy.
  • I looked at the manuals midi note assignment and they should work, so...I suspect that your Midi Cable is dodgy.

just ordered another midi cable..ill try again when it arrives and let u know...thanks again for all the help...

it has the option to make your own Drum set-up (changing the MIDI pad values #'s)

Page 22 or your manual shows that everything should be set up correctly, pad # value wise.

Unfortunately that's not what that function does on that e-drum brain. Changing those values only changes the sound each pad makes, not what MIDI note it's sending.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    davidshek said:

Unfortunately that's not what that function does on that e-drum brain. Changing those values only changes the sound each pad makes, not what MIDI note it's sending.
    Yeah, but the actual values are based off of the GM spec which the MC adapter should be okay with (the ones underlined in red are the values shown in the manual on page 22):

• edited January 16
    Do you have the PDP Wired Adapter? RB4 needs it in order to use a MIDI drum kit... it's not like in RB3 where the MIDI-Box plugs straight into the Xbox-360.

I'd try to get RB3 working (easier to start from scratch) and then go to RB4.

Do you have the PDP Wired Adapter? RB4 needs it in order to use a MIDI drum kit... it's not like in RB3 where the MIDI-Box plugs straight into the Xbox-360.

I'd try to get RB3 working (easier to start from scratch) and then go to RB4.

Yeah he said initially that he has the PDP adapter, and that he also tried using this setup on RB3 on X360, which also didn't work. Which leads me to believe it's either a faulty MIDI cable or a faulty MIDI Pro adapter.
  • Ok I missed that... and hmmm he did say the 360-MIDI box was lighting up (oooh it was just 2 toms tho, and yeah lets just hope it's the MIDI cable itself.) I would get a good quality one. My cheaper cable didn't last that much from switching from GH to RB drum brains. Bought a Monster Cable one and have had it for over 2 years now without an issue. GL and Happy Drumming ... you're almost there!!! :)
  • edited January 17
    so i actually ordered another midi cable and midi pro adapter...getting them thursday.if that doesnt work im getting the alesis nitro kit next week...thanks guys for all the help..will post an update when i receive them...
  • edited January 27
    UPDATE:Received my Alesis Nitro kit and it works great....thanks for the help...question..what can i do to stop the bass pedal from slidding around..and also is there a way to tighten it up..seems to loose getting double hits...TIA...
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    edited January 27

UPDATE:Received my Alesis Nitro kit and it works great....thanks for the help...question..what can i do to stop the bass pedal from slidding around..and also is there a way to tighten it up..seems to loose getting double hits...TIA...

I just got a Yamaha DTX500 brain hooked up to my frankenstIons and was having that problem with my kick too. I tend to rest the beater against the pad and accidentally trip notes.

I turned the gain and MVI as low as possible and got great results out of that.

As for the sliding, you’re going to need something heavy. I have an old engine piston head with a piece of 1/2” weatherstripping on it to stop any metal on metal contact.
  • dlleweldllewel Unsigned
    You could try a braided rug. Sorry I don’t have a better picture with me now...

You can see the front end of the oval rug at the bottom of the pic. The drum throne is on the rug too, so the pedal stays still relative to the throne. My pedal has some Velcro adhered to the bottom so it sticks good to the rug.
    You can also use a looped piece of duct or gorilla tape underneath.
  • thanks for the help will be goin to buy a better rug...or try the duct tape...
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    Don't your pedals have carpet spikes you can extend? I thought all drum pedals had that.
    edited January 30

Don't your pedals have carpet spikes you can extend? I thought all drum pedals had that.

They do, and e-drum kick pads do too. But because of the way the pedal clamps onto the pad, sometimes neither set of spikes ends up engaging the carpet very effectively. Happens with my Yamaha Flying Dragons and the KD-9 pad on my Roland kit, so I ended up putting some double-sided Velcro tape on the bottom of the pedal to help it grip the rug.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    davidshek said:

They do, and e-drum kick pads do too. But because of the way the pedal clamps onto the pad, sometimes neither set of spikes ends up engaging the carpet very effectively. Happens with my Yamaha Flying Dragons and the KD-9 pad on my Roland kit, so I ended up putting some double-sided Velcro tape on the bottom of the pedal to help it grip the rug.
    Interesting. My cheap $59 pedal clamped to my Yamaha kick pad still engages the spikes. Pretty lame implementation of a should-be standard clamping interface by some manufacturers, eh?
    That’s because most pedals are held in place by the acoustic bass drums, which have spikes or feet to keep from moving.
  • abz999abz999 Unsigned
    Have any PS4 e-kit users who have tried a full band been able to assign a PS4 login to the e-kit?

Let me please explain further - if just the e-kit on it's own you can login with a PS4 account and using the MPA assign that user to the e-kit and replacing the "guest" account. If you then add a guitar with second PS4 account it still works. If you add a third guitar it works again. But if you have mic, 2 guitars and e-kit and 4 separate PS4 users I cannot assign one of the users to the e-kit.

Anyone else having this problem? TNX ABZ o:)
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    edited February 23
    I do not have PS4 but I believe someone addressed this exact issue a few pages back in this thread. Maybe a few more then a few but it was fairly recently. Hope that helps

EDIT:Ok maybe it wasn't this thread, did a quick scan over the last few pages & didn't see it. Its on these forums somewhere I feel like I just read it within the last month. It is a common problem & there is a way around it. Cant remember how sorry
  • abz999abz999 Unsigned
    thanks meck, i'll have a look and see if i can find the thread
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    Just got the Alesis Surge and I used the recommended settings from someone's Nitro and it is working perfectly so far! I'll post pics once I get everything locked down and do some cable management.

Is there a way to navigate menus with the drum pads like on the Ions? Why can't I find it?
  • dlleweldllewel Unsigned
    If it is not under 'Instrument options' maybe look under 'Modifiers' ? Not in the game now or I'd check. I have Ions, but wouldn't think the option would be different.
  • NoThru22 said:

Is there a way to navigate menus with the drum pads like on the Ions? Why can't I find it?

It's in settings (iirc) from the main menu... not in the start (pop-up) menu as it was in RB3. Happy Drumming! :)

• NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    It was under modifiers and it was unchecked when I switched to the Midi pro adapter for some reason.