Ion drum / E-kit owners and RB4

Comments

• I agree with this whole thread. I have an Ion kit that I've had since it first came out. I've been considering upgrading to a Roland kit for a while now, and either use the Ion brain (for RB purposes only of course) or use the MIDI pro adapter (which I already also own, but before always just used with the RB3 pro Squier) with it.
  • GoofyboyGoofyboy Unsigned
    scorp121 said:

They have said they will continue to support the pro drums, so I see no issue there.

Can you link me please? I read the official announcement, can't see it mentioning it.
    Q: What instruments will be playable? Wiill RB4 have Pro guitar and keys?
    A: Rock Band 4 will focus on the core experience and the roots of the franchise – guitar, bass, drums, and vocals. There will be no Pro Guitar or key support in Rock Band 4. We will continue to support “Pro” mode for Drums.
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    sa_nick said:

I really hope a moderator can start merging the many different threads asking these same questions.

Done. Oh it feels good to be modding again.

Has anyone here got an adapter and new gen console? There should be a way to see right now if it'll work, right? At least partially.
    I have both, how should I go about testing this out you think??
  • Add my name to those hoping E-kits are supported. I'm guessing the challenges of this are less so than some of the other issues people have raised; but you never know. Am somewhat surprised they haven't addressed this, as I believe a sizable portion of hardcore players use some sort of E-kit (Ions or whatever).

Am wondering if MadCatz is partnering with a drum manufacturer to develop a new IOn-type, intro-level E-kit?
  • OphidiosOphidios Unsigned
    I know I don't represent everyone, but I want to add my frank experience to the pile:

I bought hundreds of songs via DLC on XBOX 360. I bought a Roland TD-3 *just* to play Rock Band, and even shelled out $200 for a home-brew solution prior to the official MIDI adapter. I actually learned to play real drums because of Rock Band.

I have not bought either current-gen system (I'm a PC gamer by nature). Ability to use my Roland TD-3 is critical. If the MIDI adapter is compatible (or they release a new one), I am guaranteed to purchase an XBone. I am also going to be purchasing a lot of DLC.

Do I represent every gamer, or the core Rock Band experience? No. But I'm not the only one - inability to use my TD-3 means I won't be participating in the next generation of Rock Band. Period.
  • MusashiMusashi Unsigned
    If old instruments become compatible, I'm sure any drum set you used will also be.

In the case of the ION, if instruments aren't made compatible, you wouldn't need to get a whole new drum set; you'd just need a new drum brain for your 8th gen system, assuming ION produces them, which I think they will.
  • Ophidios said:

I know I don't represent everyone, but I want to add my frank experience to the pile:

I bought hundreds of songs via DLC on XBOX 360. I bought a Roland TD-3 *just* to play Rock Band, and even shelled out $200 for a home-brew solution prior to the official MIDI adapter. I actually learned to play real drums because of Rock Band.

I have not bought either current-gen system (I'm a PC gamer by nature). Ability to use my Roland TD-3 is critical. If the MIDI adapter is compatible (or they release a new one), I am guaranteed to purchase an XBone. I am also going to be purchasing a lot of DLC.

Do I represent every gamer, or the core Rock Band experience? No. But I'm not the only one - inability to use my TD-3 means I won't be participating in the next generation of Rock Band. Period.

I'm in the same boat as you but on Playstation. If RB4 supports legacy peripherals as they're planning too then I think we'll be fine. Worst case scenario we need to buy a new adapter which could be like $60 bucks?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    I no longer have my Ions, but do still have a MIDI Pro and a Roland TD-11, so hopefully there will be SOME way to use that.
  • ggQcggQc Opening Act
    sa_nick said:

Has anyone here got an adapter and new gen console? There should be a way to see right now if it'll work, right? At least partially.

MPA for PS3 and a PS4 here.
    I just tried it by itself and it doesn't work. :( Nothing at all with the switch to D and K.
    I switched to Guitar and the number 1 player light went morse code : S.O.S.

Just to be sure, I tried it on the PS3 and it behaved like a normal controller.
    Maybe someone else could try it just to make sure.
  • ggQc said:

sa_nick said:

MPA for PS3 and a PS4 here.
    I just tried it by itself and it doesn't work. :( Nothing at all with the switch to D and K.
    I switched to Guitar and the number 1 player light went morse code : S.O.S.

Just to be sure, I tried it on the PS3 and it behaved like a normal controller.
    Maybe someone else could try it just to make sure.
    Not surprising I guess, given that regular PS3 controllers don't work on PS4.

I still don't think we have to worry just yet, there will be a solution when we need it, official or not.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    If Ions and edrums don't work in RB4, I don't know how Harmonix could say the game supports pro drums with a straight face. The stock pro drum kit was just plain awful and I doubt Madcatz would do any better with it this time around.
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    I would say midi pro support is a shoe in.

It would be crazy of Harmonix not to.

I would repurchase a midi pro adapter for rb4 though as well as a ps4 which I don't own because the only game I play is rock band.
  • The issue is the security chip in the 360. It needs something to handshake with that is like
    Y not in the One. There will be an adapter

In theory, it should be as simple as taking the existing pc dongle for 360 controllers, adding a USB port or two, and pirating the existing windows drivers
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

The issue is the security chip in the 360. It needs something to handshake with that is like
    Y not in the One. There will be an adapter

In theory, it should be as simple as taking the existing pc dongle for 360 controllers, adding a USB port or two, and pirating the existing windows drivers

Not pirating, licensing. If they pirated the drivers I think Microsoft would have some very cross words for them. Oh, and possibly a company-ending lawsuit.
  • Just want to add my name to the list of people concerned about the ability to use Ion drums in Rock Band 4. I don't think it's going to be a problem, but if the intent here is to represent those who use Ion drums and want to do so in Rock Band 4, add me to the list.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I don't know if I voted in this thread too, but put my name down as wanting Ion and MPA/NewMPA support.

If we only MPA/NewMPA, I myself will pay the $150 for an Alesis/DDrum Trigger I/O. But you can be sure there will probably be an even bigger storm of complaints than there is currently for no keys.
  • cinnfullcinnfull Unsigned
    I would think that one reason MadCatz hasn't said anything about a new MPA is because they really don't know yet if they need a new MPA. If all it takes is a software update to Xbone/PS4 to make the MPA work, then they won't have to make a new version. They can just manufacture a new run of the old ones. No need to reinvent the wheel.
  • Hoping at some point I will be able to use my DTX 500 brain with RB4. Totally don't mind buying a new midi adapter...or going third party...I'm so use to hearing what I'm playing that I'm not sure (long-term at least) that I could go back to my IONs or the plastic drum kit.

I'm still buying the game though...to support Harmonix...and one way or the other...I have faith that either they will get MadCatz to develop a new MPA or a third party will make one.
  • @LoopyChew Porting got autocorrected. Port the drivers.
  • I am confident that if there is any hurdle getting e-kits to work, we can make them work.

:)
  • I have a quick question, I'm new to the terminology so please forgive.
    I have an Ion Drum Rocker for the Xbox360, but now like many I only play on the PS4, so should I sell my Ion Drumset or keep the drumset and hope for a compatible adapter to make it playable on the PS4?

I just dont know if I'm outta luck cause it's an Xbox 360 Ion Drum Rocker and I need it to play for the PS4

Thanks for any advice, I just love my drumset, and if at all possible dont wanna sell them and play on the plastic drum kits that would come with the set

Thanks in advanced for any help and advice
  • Just about any solution for making that 360 rocker work on a PS4 would start with ditching the brain.

Those pads will work with other modules so you don't have to start over.

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    Doc_SoCal said:

I am confident that if there is any hurdle getting e-kits to work, we can make them work.

If there's one thing we're good at around here, it's voiding warranties ;)
    FATALUSMC said:

I have a quick question, I'm new to the terminology so please forgive.
    I have an Ion Drum Rocker for the Xbox360, but now like many I only play on the PS4, so should I sell my Ion Drumset or keep the drumset and hope for a compatible adapter to make it playable on the PS4?

I just dont know if I'm outta luck cause it's an Xbox 360 Ion Drum Rocker and I need it to play for the PS4

Well I can tell you right now that the controller for your X360 Drum Rocker won't work on the PS4, ever. But if Ion or MadCatz or any other company releases a new controller for e-drums, that's all you *should* need to buy, depending on what it is. You shouldn't have to buy an entirely new kit.
  • Thanks David & DOC I guess I'll keep my kit
    Really appreciate the advice
  • With the MIDI being a common thing in the later state of rhythm gaming, I honestly don't see why they wouldn't try to allow it. Along with Ions, I'm thinking the same thing. I'm actually hoping that they make new Ions seeing as I sold my old set and felt pretty comfortable playing with it. I'm investing in a new drum set too so it'll be nice to see what they do with MIDI's.
  • With the MIDI being a common thing in the later state of rhythm gaming, I honestly don't see why they wouldn't try to allow it. Along with Ions, I'm thinking the same thing. I'm actually hoping that they make new Ions seeing as I sold my old set and felt pretty comfortable playing with it. I'm investing in a new drum set too so it'll be nice to see what they do with MIDI's.

Here's a quick question because I'm not sure what the difference is, but is the Midi Adapter, like the Mad Catz Midi Pro Adapter the same as the Xbox 360 Brain controller I have on it or do I need a Playstation Brain Controller AND a Midi Pro Adapter, or does the midi pro adapter just take place of the "controller brain"?

Thanks

• raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    I wouldn't want to have to replace my Ion's brain. If Harmonix is going to make compatibility with pre RB4 instruments a priority, I'd hope they give the only surviving pro instrument the same level of commitment.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    +1 to the thread topic...

And +1 to feeling confident that between both @Doc_SoCal's and @davidshek's ability to void warranties, a solution will be found no matter what and all us e-kit/Ion drummers will be ok.