Ion drum / E-kit owners and RB4

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester

Just wondering what everyone is using to hold their cymbals on the ion set. I want to go PRO drums but I can't seem to find the mounting equipment I want to go with the Pintech cymbals. Any help would be awesome

Check out the 4th post in this thread of mine from waaaaay back in 2008:
    http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/99992/pintech-tc-10-e-cymbal-with-ion-kit-review-instructions-video/p1

That 4th post has links to mounting arms, etc.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Abaddon said:

LoopyChew said:

There isn't a way to toggle the second bass drum, is there? My DTXIV is still gathering dust because I can't find a way to disable foot chick.

Unfortunately, not that I know of. I'd love to see that! Or better yet, a hi-hat toggle.

But I'm not sure why that would stop you from using it, I have a DTXPLORER that I use every day, I just keep my hi-hat foot down. While it's a bit of a drag it's way better than not getting to use it...
    I really, really like having my foot up for HHO and I really, really hate breaking combo so regularly.
  • did the pdp adapter ship to canada?
  • StedmisterStedmister Unsigned

did the pdp adapter ship to canada?

YES
    Beforehand it was directly sold by Amazon. This time around it's being sold through PDP via Amazon (third-party seller). That's the difference.
  • DenRyu1DenRyu1 Unsigned
    edited July 29
    The much awaited for PDP XBOX1 Wired Legacy Adapter is once again available for ordering on PDP's website as a Limited Supply Only.
  • II_IronII_Iron Opening Act
    My wife just ordered me an Alesis Nitro kit! I'm looking forward to taking my skills to the next level. I know they game will be fun with this, but I'm hoping to find a way to learn to play for real. I'm not trying to join a band, but just get good enough to sit down at a kit and make sense of what I'm playing. Any resources out there you real drummers would recommend to get me pointed in the right direction?
    II_Iron said:

Any resources out there you real drummers would recommend to get me pointed in the right direction?

There's any number of tutorial series on Youtube for beginning drummers. I would also highly suggest picking up a metronome and the book "Stick Control for the Snare Drummer". This is THE definitive book for any new drum student, and one that I used with every one of my students.

Another "Bible" of drumming is Progressive Steps to Syncopation for the Modern Drummer.

Take a look at this list. You can't go wrong with any of them:
    https://www.moderndrummer.com/2013/04/25-timeless-drum-books/

You can also look into taking some drum lessons. Even if it's just for a few months, it'll teach you all the basics you need to then start teaching yourself more on your own.
  • davidshek said:

II_Iron said:

Any resources out there you real drummers would recommend to get me pointed in the right direction?

There's any number of tutorial series on Youtube for beginning drummers. I would also highly suggest picking up a metronome and the book "Stick Control for the Snare Drummer". This is THE definitive book for any new drum student, and one that I used with every one of my students.

Another "Bible" of drumming is Progressive Steps to Syncopation for the Modern Drummer.

You can also look into taking some drum lessons. Even if it's just for a few months, it'll teach you all the basics you need to then start teaching yourself more on your own.
    i have this book. kind of got confusing a bit further in the book with the open and closed rolls not being clearly marked...i wish i hadn't stopped practising with it....

i have this book. kind of got confusing a bit further in the book with the open and closed rolls not being clearly marked...i wish i hadn't stopped practising with it....

"This book"...which one? I linked to several. :) The first 2 I linked aren't really the kind of books you just buy and learn from on your own. They're much more effective when used with a teacher who can explain what's going on.
  • stick control...i only ever took a few lessons and really didn't learn anything by that point...

stick control...i only ever took a few lessons and really didn't learn anything by that point...

Yeah Stick Control is a fantastic book, one of the best in fact, when used in the right setting. Unfortunately, self-teaching isn't that setting.
  • yes no wonder i never really picked it up :(
  • IFIRIESHIxIFIRIESHIx Unsigned
    Can anyone tell me if there's a way to make the stage kit work still/yet on Xbox one?
  • II_IronII_Iron Opening Act
    davidshek said:

II_Iron said:

Thanks for this info. That's the kind of stuff I was looking for.

Can anyone tell me if there's a way to make the stage kit work still/yet on Xbox one?

Not yet.

can someone tell me if this kit is good and will work with rockband 4..

According to its description on Monoprice (where it's $30 cheaper than Walmart, btw):
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=608550

It does have a 5-pin MIDI Out and you can change the MIDI Note ("Drum Sound" in the User Manual) for each trigger, so yes, it should be just fine for RB4.
  • if it has midi out yes. but you would need two possible adapters. are you xbox or ps4?
    if it has usb out you would need to convert that to midi unless you can by pass the midi pro adapter and go straight into the pdp adapter
  • davidshek said:

According to its description on Monoprice (where it's $30 cheaper than Walmart, btw):

It does have a 5-pin MIDI Out and you can change the MIDI Note ("Drum Sound" in the User Manual) for each trigger, so yes, it should be just fine for RB4.
    got someone selling me brand new one for $200..ok great..i just ordered the pdp adapter...do i need the midi pro adapter too?tia..

davidshek said:

got someone selling me brand new one for $200..ok great..i just ordered the pdp adapter...do i need the midi pro adapter too?tia..
    The PDP adapter adapts the MIDI Pro adapter (or the ION kit), specifically for Xbox One. You will always need the MIDI Pro adapter; you will only need the PDP adapter for Xbox One (if you're playing on PS4, there's no need for it).
  • LoopyChew said:

davidshek said:

The PDP adapter adapts the MIDI Pro adapter (or the ION kit), specifically for Xbox One. You will always need the MIDI Pro adapter; you will only need the PDP adapter for Xbox One (if you're playing on PS4, there's no need for it).
    ok cool im on xbone...thanks
  • Anyone care to share their drum module settings for their Pintech TC cymbals? I have a Roland TD6V with pintech TCs and I can't get the settings right for the highhat. Everytime I'm doing a simple snare, kick and highhat beat, it drops or crosswalks. I've tried every setting variation possible in the last couple of weeks....... :(
  • hardcoredrummerhardcoredrummer Unsigned
    edited August 16
    Anyone split their dtxplorer/xpress pads? I used a stereo y cable with a regular pad and guitar hero drum cymbal but I get interference like rapid firing unless I hang the cable a certain way away from the brain etc. Also the cymbal was real sensitive with my gh wt kit but sucks with the dtx. I'm sure there is a setting to fix that in the module...

Anyone split their dtxplorer/xpress pads? I used a mono y cable with a regular pad and guitar hero drum cymbal but I get interference like rapid firing unless I hang the cable a certain way away from the brain etc. Also the cymbal was real sensitive with my gh wt kit but sucks with the dtx. I'm sure there is a setting to fix that in the module...

Wait, what's this configuration that's letting you use a DTX pad with a GH cymbal? What are they plugged into?
  • Got my adapter, now the fun part diggin my ion out of my closet :p
  • LoopyChew said:

Anyone split their dtxplorer/xpress pads? I used a mono y cable with a regular pad and guitar hero drum cymbal but I get interference like rapid firing unless I hang the cable a certain way away from the brain etc. Also the cymbal was real sensitive with my gh wt kit but sucks with the dtx. I'm sure there is a setting to fix that in the module...

Wait, what's this configuration that's letting you use a DTX pad with a GH cymbal? What are they plugged into?
    well clearly you can't help me! I also wrote the configuration in the first comment...

LoopyChew said:

well clearly you can't help me! I also wrote the configuration in the first comment...
    I mean, I read the description, but I'm having trouble picturing it. You plugged the Guitar Hero cymbal in the DTX brain? You're playing the GH drum kit but you've got the DTX brain plugged into the GH midi adapter?
  • So nobody splits pads on an e kit? Specifically a dtx?
  • dabrry0523dabrry0523 Road Warrior
    edited August 17

So nobody splits pads on an e kit? Specifically a dtx?

What do you mean by split? I've read everything you've posted, and I'm probably as confused as loopychew, Why didn't you just use the dtx's cymbals, as opposed to using the guitar hero cymbals with a dtx brain, unless you have a dtx brain, that you are using to run the guitar hero drums through, if that's what you are doing, I'm not sure if there is a way to fix that, though i could be wrong. I have the dtxplorer running through the midi pro adapter, and then the Xbox 360 to Xbox one converter setup and running with no problem on anything, though I don't play it as often as I used to. So Ill have to check it out and see if I can figure out whats going on, though it could just be a need to change the sound output on the dtx brain... Here is the link of all of the midi input numbers. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/259121/Mad-Catz-Rock-Band-3-Midi-Pro-Adapter-96071.html?page=5...

Actually, after looking it over a bit more, I'm not sure if the cymbals work for Rock Band when using the guitar hero brain, since, the guitar hero drums are only 3 pads, and then two cymbals, while rock band is 4 pads and 3 cymbals.