Ion drum / E-kit owners and RB4

Comments

• Can you take a picture? I'm still extremely confused. I suppose if you wanted to use a cymbal as a pad it would theoretically work, but I didn't think the GHWT cymbals were even detachable from the main kit.
  • It sounds like a grounding issue? When I grab my plugs with my bare hands, it does that rapid fire thing you're talking about. Yamaha DTXpress III here fwiw. I have no knowledge of splitting pads/cymbals, sorry.
  • MasqueradaMasquerada Unsigned
    edited August 2017
    I too looking at getting a cheap e-drum set now that my RB3 drums are starting to let me down.
    Im no drummer so do not want to spend too much and these come in at £200 which is about right.
    Also my eleven year old daughter wants to get into drumming which will be convenient.
    After reading everything I can it looks like the Gear4Music dd400 will be compatible with my PS3 MPA and work the same way that my RB3 drums currently work.
    Found the manual for this set and on page 11 says you can change the midi notes,

All in all looks like it should work but could someone more knowledgeable than I browse over this manual and just confirm it for me.

https://kirstein.de/docs/manuals/xd-dd400-en-0114.pdf

One last note, the kit says it comes with 10 pre set drum kits built in but you can create a custom set from the 108 voices included. Just wonder if I have to change the midi notes so the kit works with RB4 will it save or do I have to change them before each use?

Just crossed referenced the default midi notes transmitted by the kit and these numbers look correct to those listed in the MPA manual so probally will not need to change anything.

What do you all think.
  • Looks good! Standard MIDI-out plug, programmable notes, you got everything covered.
  • II_IronII_Iron Opening Act
    Just got my Alesis Nitro Kit and really like it. The only thing I don't like is the kit is set up to have the crash in the middle and the ride on the right. Can I use an extension cable to have the crash on the right?

I currently have the cable for the crash in the ride and vice versa. I have this working properly in game, but I switched the midi notes to do so.
    davidshek said:

There's any number of tutorial series on Youtube for beginning drummers.

Any you would recommend?
  • II_Iron said:

Just got my Alesis Nitro Kit and really like it. The only thing I don't like is the kit is set up to have the crash in the middle and the ride on the right. Can I use an extension cable to have the crash on the right?

I currently have the cable for the crash in the ride and vice versa. I have this working properly in game, but I switched the midi notes to do so.

Change the midi numbers accordingly. What each cymbal is supposed to be doesn't really matter. You can program them to swap them.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    II_Iron said:

The great thing about e-drum kits is that each pad can be whatever you want. Want the crash to be the ride and vice versa? Switch the MIDI notes/sounds in the brain.
    II_Iron said:

davidshek said:

There's any number of tutorial series on Youtube for beginning drummers.

Any you would recommend?
    Drumeo has a good series, lots of videos on Youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/freedrumlessons
  • edited August 2017
    My PDP adapter arrived finally, took a week to get to the UK and I picked up a used Yamaha DTXplorer kit. Everything worked straight off and me and my daughters are having a blast. Thanks for the great posts everyone.

Just wish Harmonix would bring back guitar support as then life would be bliss.
  • MasqueradaMasquerada Unsigned
    edited November 2017

I too looking at getting a cheap e-drum set now that my RB3 drums are starting to let me down.
    Im no drummer so do not want to spend too much and these come in at £200 which is about right.
    Also my eleven year old daughter wants to get into drumming which will be convenient.
    After reading everything I can it looks like the Gear4Music dd400 will be compatible with my PS3 MPA and work the same way that my RB3 drums currently work.
    Found the manual for this set and on page 11 says you can change the midi notes,

All in all looks like it should work but could someone more knowledgeable than I browse over this manual and just confirm it for me.

https://kirstein.de/docs/manuals/xd-dd400-en-0114.pdf

One last note, the kit says it comes with 10 pre set drum kits built in but you can create a custom set from the 108 voices included. Just wonder if I have to change the midi notes so the kit works with RB4 will it save or do I have to change them before each use?

Just crossed referenced the default midi notes transmitted by the kit and these numbers look correct to those listed in the MPA manual so probally will not need to change anything.

What do you all think.

Well guys I went ahead and have bought these for my daughter for Christmas, abiet the new improved version.
    I can safely say they are awesome and work out of the box.
    Wires for each pad plenty long enough so you can swap the blue green cymbal around without having to change midi outputs.

Got to say love playing RB4 and also hearing the sound from the drums overlaid.

Overall great set of edrums nice and responsive for £200.
    If anyone looking for some good alternative to the Nitros

https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Digital-Drums-400-Compact-Electronic-Drum-Kit-by-Gear4music/10O6?origin=product-ads&utm_campaign=PLA+Shop+-+G4M&utm_medium=vertical_search&network=google&adgroup=G4M.+Electronic+Drum+Kits&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=47526d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=85019162599&gclid=Cj0KCQiAi7XQBRDnARIsANeLIeuiTbdguNQV8nNO3NgXIkEBFhbAg5i7Q3Y16dYitveDGZHDVu8z4fcaAsqjEALw_wcB
  • II_Iron said:

The Simmons SD1000 I just got has the same initial configuration. Since I was coming from an Ion, I added one of my old Pintech cymbals as Crash 2 and put it to the right of the ride (normal rock band position).

So, now I have 4 cymbals:

HiHat (Y) - Crash1 (G) - Ride (B) - Crash2 (G)

I think it's helpful to have both crashes because I can access the crash with a quick movement from the HH or the ride. It's taking a bit for my brain to adjust though.

I think you can do the same with a Nitro as pictures of the module online show ports for Crash2 and Tom4.

• I posted this in a rush yesterday as a cheap set of "Digital Drums 400 Compact" (https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Digital-Drums-400-Compact-Electronic-Drum-Kit-by-Gear4music/10O6) unexpectedly came up for sale at a bargain basement price. Sadly I waited too long to reply and now they are sold, but I've decided to take the plunge with eKIT anyhow and ordered a pair of the PS3 midi pro adapters from the Amazon US store. I'm still interested in the DD400 so has anyone any experience with them? For sure they have MIDI out and I think the pads are programmable https://www.normans.co.uk/images/pdfs/AXK1 owners manual.pdf
  • What kit would you guys recommend that I could use as a Midi Kit (For my FL Studio on computer) plus as my RB4 kit? I want something that is easy to switch between the two. I already have the ps3 MIDI adapter & Midi Cable from my RB3 days (that's all I need right?)

What kit would you guys recommend that I could use as a Midi Kit (For my FL Studio on computer) plus as my RB4 kit? I want something that is easy to switch between the two. I already have the ps3 MIDI adapter & Midi Cable from my RB3 days (that's all I need right?)

I have been very happy with my Alesis Nitro kit
  • if it has midi out yes. but you would need two possible adapters. are you xbox or ps4?
    if it has usb out you would need to convert that to midi unless you can by pass the midi pro adapter and go straight into the pdp adapter
    got the midi adapter and pdp adapter for this kit but i cant get it to recognize the kit on xbone(rockband 4)or 360(rockband 3).could someone help me?what do i need to do to get it to work?

got the midi adapter and pdp adapter for this kit but i cant get it to recognize the kit on xbone(rockband 4)or 360(rockband 3).could someone help me?what do i need to do to get it to work?

You need to read the manual for the MIDI Pro and find the correct MIDI notes for each color pad/cymbal. Then look in the manual for your e-drum kit and figure out how to set each pad/cymbal to the correct MIDI note that the MIDI Pro Adapter needs.
  • davidshek said:

You need to read the manual for the MIDI Pro and find the correct MIDI notes for each color pad/cymbal. Then look in the manual for your e-drum kit and figure out how to set each pad/cymbal to the correct MIDI note that the MIDI Pro Adapter needs.
    ive looked through the user manual of the drum set and cant find how to change the pads midi..if u could help me more it would be appreciated...dont know where to look in the user manual for it...

ive looked through the user manual of the drum set and cant find how to change the pads midi..if u could help me more it would be appreciated...dont know where to look in the user manual for it...

Is the manual online anywhere? Can't help if I can't read it...
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    I think it’s probably this one: http://downloads.monoprice.com/files/manuals/608550_Manual_150323.pdf

As far as I can tell, custom kitting (on page 16) is voice-only and the actual note assignment falls under General MIDI spec (see page 22).

However, I’m not quite sure I understand the problem: is it that no notes register at all or that the wrong notes register? If it’s the former it seems more likely that the Mad Catz adapter you have is a dud somehow. Can you use the controller part to at least navigate on the 360? Does the jewel light up?
    Also, did you set the toggle switch on the Mad Catz adapter to drums?
  • edited January 15
    LoopyChew said:

I think it’s probably this one: http://downloads.monoprice.com/files/manuals/608550_Manual_150323.pdf

As far as I can tell, custom kitting (on page 16) is voice-only and the actual note assignment falls under General MIDI spec (see page 22).

However, I’m not quite sure I understand the problem: is it that no notes register at all or that the wrong notes register? If it’s the former it seems more likely that the Mad Catz adapter you have is a dud somehow. Can you use the controller part to at least navigate on the 360? Does the jewel light up?

no notes register at all.yes its set to drums..the jewel lights up and i can use the midi pro to navigate the menu..etc...also the light on the midi were it lights up green when u hit a note lights up when i hit 2 pads only but doesnt register in game...

LoopyChew said:

no notes register at all.yes its set to drums..the jewel lights up and i can use the midi pro to navigate the menu..etc...also the light on the midi were it lights up green when u hit a note lights up when i hit 2 pads only but doesnt register in game...
    When you say "two pads only," do you mean "of all the things I can hit on my drum kit, only two of them make the adapter light up" or "I have to hit two pads at a time to make the adapter light up?" If the first one, which two pads? If the second one, does it matter which two pads they are?

Another thing you might want to try and do is to plug the MadCatz MIDI adapter into a Windows PC (and your drums into the MIDI adapter, natch) and check the controller diagnostics while you're hitting stuff on the drums. Hitting the snare, for example, should show that the controller is pressing the B button. (There might be a way to do it on a Mac but I don't know how offhand.)

If you're having the issue on both Xboxes, I don't think it's the Xboxes that are the issue; this leaves the drum, the adapters (more likely the MadCatz than the PDP one) and anything in between (mostly the MIDI cable that connects your drum to the MIDI adapter).
  • edited January 15
    the two pads are the tom 2 and 3..also the hi hat lights up..im about to order another pro midi adapter and midi cable and see if its that..if not it has to be that the drums are not compatible which means i need to get another set in the near future...goin to try the controller diagnostic thing too
    Well, having more than one MIDI pro adapter isn't a bad thing, since you never know when they'll stop being available (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, XBOX ONE KINECT ADAPTER), but I would also suggest the controller diagnostics before ordering new hardware.

So Toms 2 and 3 don't do anything in Rock Band? You've tried loading up a song and wailing away before the drums in the song start to see if they register? Same with the hi-hat?