Ion drum / E-kit owners and RB4

Comments

• Sorry guys. Could be my fault on the message I typed. I have a dtxpress iv. The module allows for splitting some of the tom pads. The kick also splits with a cymbal. So I split a tom pad with a gh wt cymbal as it has a piezo sensor. So I use a y cable that is stated in my manual to do. It works but it the cable rapid fires on me. Not sure if that's a grounding issue or something to do with balanced and unbalanced cables. Maybe even the adapter to go from 1/4" to 1/8" for the cymbal pad. It also seems less sensitive than when played with the gh kit.

I did this to get a blue next to my high hat for open hats. Maybe I should just use the bell of my hats for the blue cymbal. Does it make sense now? So my question was asking if anyone splits their pads and had any issues. If I went and bought another official tom pad I'm sure I'd have not problems...
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Can you take a picture? I'm still extremely confused. I suppose if you wanted to use a cymbal as a pad it would theoretically work, but I didn't think the GHWT cymbals were even detachable from the main kit.
  • It sounds like a grounding issue? When I grab my plugs with my bare hands, it does that rapid fire thing you're talking about. Yamaha DTXpress III here fwiw. I have no knowledge of splitting pads/cymbals, sorry.
  • It sounds like a grounding issue? When I grab my plugs with my bare hands, it does that rapid fire thing you're talking about. Yamaha DTXpress III here fwiw. I have no knowledge of splitting pads/cymbals, sorry.

Thanks. Yeah if I hang the cable in various spots it goes away. But some spots it's there and holding onto it does the same thing with the rapid firing.

For Loopy chew. Both the world tour and band hero/warriors of rock had cymbals that detach. In fact the warriors of rock ones come lose with the screw top after playing for duration. If they didn't come off you couldn't fix or replace them. World tour has a 1/8 port where is the warriors of rock ones had 1/8" male plugs...

Consider it the poor mans extra pad for my dtx. Otherwise I could maybe order a real pad on ebay or something like that. You'd be lucky if you could get the rack arm to attach it with too.
  • MasqueradaMasquerada Unsigned
    edited August 18
    I too looking at getting a cheap e-drum set now that my RB3 drums are starting to let me down.
    Im no drummer so do not want to spend too much and these come in at £200 which is about right.
    Also my eleven year old daughter wants to get into drumming which will be convenient.
    After reading everything I can it looks like the Gear4Music dd400 will be compatible with my PS3 MPA and work the same way that my RB3 drums currently work.
    Found the manual for this set and on page 11 says you can change the midi notes,

All in all looks like it should work but could someone more knowledgeable than I browse over this manual and just confirm it for me.

https://kirstein.de/docs/manuals/xd-dd400-en-0114.pdf

One last note, the kit says it comes with 10 pre set drum kits built in but you can create a custom set from the 108 voices included. Just wonder if I have to change the midi notes so the kit works with RB4 will it save or do I have to change them before each use?

Just crossed referenced the default midi notes transmitted by the kit and these numbers look correct to those listed in the MPA manual so probally will not need to change anything.

What do you all think.
  • hardcoredrummerhardcoredrummer Unsigned
    edited August 18
    Don't know much about that kit. But it says automatic save...midi out with programmability. So you should be fine.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Looks good! Standard MIDI-out plug, programmable notes, you got everything covered.
  • II_IronII_Iron Opening Act
    Just got my Alesis Nitro Kit and really like it. The only thing I don't like is the kit is set up to have the crash in the middle and the ride on the right. Can I use an extension cable to have the crash on the right?

I currently have the cable for the crash in the ride and vice versa. I have this working properly in game, but I switched the midi notes to do so.
  • II_IronII_Iron Opening Act
    davidshek said:

There's any number of tutorial series on Youtube for beginning drummers.

Any you would recommend?
  • smanchacsmanchac Unsigned
    II_Iron said:

Just got my Alesis Nitro Kit and really like it. The only thing I don't like is the kit is set up to have the crash in the middle and the ride on the right. Can I use an extension cable to have the crash on the right?

I currently have the cable for the crash in the ride and vice versa. I have this working properly in game, but I switched the midi notes to do so.

Change the midi numbers accordingly. What each cymbal is supposed to be doesn't really matter. You can program them to swap them.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    II_Iron said:

The great thing about e-drum kits is that each pad can be whatever you want. Want the crash to be the ride and vice versa? Switch the MIDI notes/sounds in the brain.
    II_Iron said:

davidshek said:

There's any number of tutorial series on Youtube for beginning drummers.

Any you would recommend?
    Drumeo has a good series, lots of videos on Youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/freedrumlessons
  • edited August 26
    My PDP adapter arrived finally, took a week to get to the UK and I picked up a used Yamaha DTXplorer kit. Everything worked straight off and me and my daughters are having a blast. Thanks for the great posts everyone.

Just wish Harmonix would bring back guitar support as then life would be bliss.
  • MasqueradaMasquerada Unsigned
    edited November 17

I too looking at getting a cheap e-drum set now that my RB3 drums are starting to let me down.
    Im no drummer so do not want to spend too much and these come in at £200 which is about right.
    Also my eleven year old daughter wants to get into drumming which will be convenient.
    After reading everything I can it looks like the Gear4Music dd400 will be compatible with my PS3 MPA and work the same way that my RB3 drums currently work.
    Found the manual for this set and on page 11 says you can change the midi notes,

All in all looks like it should work but could someone more knowledgeable than I browse over this manual and just confirm it for me.

https://kirstein.de/docs/manuals/xd-dd400-en-0114.pdf

One last note, the kit says it comes with 10 pre set drum kits built in but you can create a custom set from the 108 voices included. Just wonder if I have to change the midi notes so the kit works with RB4 will it save or do I have to change them before each use?

Just crossed referenced the default midi notes transmitted by the kit and these numbers look correct to those listed in the MPA manual so probally will not need to change anything.

What do you all think.

Well guys I went ahead and have bought these for my daughter for Christmas, abiet the new improved version.
    I can safely say they are awesome and work out of the box.
    Wires for each pad plenty long enough so you can swap the blue green cymbal around without having to change midi outputs.

Got to say love playing RB4 and also hearing the sound from the drums overlaid.

Overall great set of edrums nice and responsive for £200.
    If anyone looking for some good alternative to the Nitros

https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Digital-Drums-400-Compact-Electronic-Drum-Kit-by-Gear4music/10O6?origin=product-ads&utm_campaign=PLA+Shop+-+G4M&utm_medium=vertical_search&network=google&adgroup=G4M.+Electronic+Drum+Kits&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=47526d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=85019162599&gclid=Cj0KCQiAi7XQBRDnARIsANeLIeuiTbdguNQV8nNO3NgXIkEBFhbAg5i7Q3Y16dYitveDGZHDVu8z4fcaAsqjEALw_wcB
  • I'm experiencing an issue since last rb update.i have an Alesis dm10. Everything is connected properly but the game does not recognize any pad of the ekit. Tried another midi adapter but no change.hope it is the midi cable and not the ekit brain.can be the midi port?
  • anyone report the the pdp adapter is 9.99 right now? wish i waited could have bought 5 for the price i paid
  • Confirmed, just ordered a backup for $9.99.
  • II_Iron said:

The Simmons SD1000 I just got has the same initial configuration. Since I was coming from an Ion, I added one of my old Pintech cymbals as Crash 2 and put it to the right of the ride (normal rock band position).

So, now I have 4 cymbals:

HiHat (Y) - Crash1 (G) - Ride (B) - Crash2 (G)

I think it's helpful to have both crashes because I can access the crash with a quick movement from the HH or the ride. It's taking a bit for my brain to adjust though.

I think you can do the same with a Nitro as pictures of the module online show ports for Crash2 and Tom4.

• abz999abz999 Unsigned
    I posted this in a rush yesterday as a cheap set of "Digital Drums 400 Compact" (https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Digital-Drums-400-Compact-Electronic-Drum-Kit-by-Gear4music/10O6) unexpectedly came up for sale at a bargain basement price. Sadly I waited too long to reply and now they are sold, but I've decided to take the plunge with eKIT anyhow and ordered a pair of the PS3 midi pro adapters from the Amazon US store. I'm still interested in the DD400 so has anyone any experience with them? For sure they have MIDI out and I think the pads are programmable https://www.normans.co.uk/images/pdfs/AXK1 owners manual.pdf
  • What kit would you guys recommend that I could use as a Midi Kit (For my FL Studio on computer) plus as my RB4 kit? I want something that is easy to switch between the two. I already have the ps3 MIDI adapter & Midi Cable from my RB3 days (that's all I need right?)