The UnOfficial Stage Kit Topic™ - Still 'potentially later' as before

TheRainbowTroutsTheRainbowTrouts Opening Act
edited October 27 in Rock Band
The campaign starts here

Comments

• KrystofKrystof Road Warrior
    Old and falling apart for %95 of the people who owned one.

Make a new one!
  • I got one daisy chained monster and one still new in the box (but tested working). Sadly it doesn't get used often enough.
    I highly doubt they'll make a new one, considering how poorly the original sold. But if they did, there certainly is room for improvement on it.
  • Please, please, please... or at least some sort of dongle that could interface with real equipment...
  • dlchief58dlchief58 Opening Act
    I'd be all over a new Stage Kit or at least support for the old ones. Would prefer a new one since my fogger died years ago.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    Safe to presume that a stage kit peripheral does not fit with the "back to basics" model. It *was* a great part of the "group of drunk people playing in a living room" experience (which is one of the three core focuses...focii?), so know who knows what can happen in the future.
  • I just bought a hexolight set on eBay for $30 new. No fogger, but that's ok. Works great!
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I love the smoke and lights and still use my stage kit, but it does suck to have use the light as the singer's controller making it impossible to hit green for percussion or the start button for overdrive. The overdrive is a pain with the way RB3 has dynamic gain or whatever it is that makes activating so difficult when you play the game loud enough to shake the windows like i do. :)

No shoulder button for song selection short-cuts is also a pain.

I love the synchronized strobe light though. Nothing beats that. I can put sound activated lights up and my own smoke machine (which is actually better since you get totally smoked out by the SK), but that strobe is the bomb.

If a new "universal MPA and instrument compatibilizer" came out with four USB ports that allowed hooking up four stage kits at once and didn't eat up player slots, I would be pretty darn happy.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Actually, a pipe dream that will probably never happen is hue support. I already have a Rock Band mode that dims everything in my apartment to a dim blue, with a strip of yellow light as if spotlights were being thrown at us, but if there could more more customization there I'd be ridiculously happy.

Pipe dream, people. I'm one of a very small Venn diagram of Rock Band players with hue lighting.
  • I am in favor of making a new stage kit and support for the old one.
  • VyseTheQuickVyseTheQuick Opening Act
    It'll never happen. While totally awesome mine kind of fell apart. I ended up starting a collection of actual DJ light which I love now. The stage kit was the inspiration.
  • johnrosejohnrose Unsigned
    I finally landed a stage kit last year, so backwards compatibility would be awesome.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    LoopyChew said:

Actually, a pipe dream that will probably never happen is hue support. I already have a Rock Band mode that dims everything in my apartment to a dim blue, with a strip of yellow light as if spotlights were being thrown at us, but if there could more more customization there I'd be ridiculously happy.

Pipe dream, people. I'm one of a very small Venn diagram of Rock Band players with hue lighting.

Do you have the disco app that uses your phone to listen to the music and give you a hue light-show from that?
  • LoopyChew said:

I've seen those, and always thought they looked awfully expensive for a few light bulbs. But if they tied into Rock Band, or video games in general, I could see getting them.

You might have better luck getting your dream fulfilled from the Phillips side. A tie-in to the PS4 or Xbox1 might sell Hue systems.

Actually, looking at the apps on their site, would Huey work with Rock Band?

• Skynyrd45Skynyrd45 Opening Act
    Yes, please make the stage kit compatible with RB4! I need my lights and fog! I would be ok if a new, better designed one was made, but I doubt it with how bad the original one sold. Fingers crossed the old stage kit will work!
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    I do have the stage kit. If the stage kit isn't compatible with RB4 then I don't mind. It was good while it lasted.
  • nickncsnickncs Unsigned
    im down for buying a stage kit with RB4 missed the opertunity in RB2/3
  • xlguruxlguru Unsigned
    Count me in!
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    If they do make a new Stage Kit, hopefully it's one that doesn't take up a player slot. I had my stage kit light controller hanged up on the ceiling so it can shine down like actually stage lights, but hated having to bring it down, when playing with 4 players, just to choose songs. Yeah, I could select songs with the guitar controllers or drum kit others were using but I found that to be tedious as well.
    edited March 2015

LoopyChew said:

Do you have the disco app that uses your phone to listen to the music and give you a hue light-show from that?
    I have Ambify and Lightbow, but not hue disco. Ambify is awesome.

I've seen those, and always thought they looked awfully expensive for a few light bulbs. But if they tied into Rock Band, or video games in general, I could see getting them.

You might have better luck getting your dream fulfilled from the Phillips side. A tie-in to the PS4 or Xbox1 might sell Hue systems.

Actually, looking at the apps on their site, would Huey work with Rock Band?

Maybe, but what luck: I run iOS.

For what it's worth, they are definitely expensive, but between geofencing and several presets, it's fun. I think LIFX is a cheaper (admittedly not by much) alternative.

Back to the topic at hand, I feel like you could communicate the staging cues to lights you choose, even if you don't quite get the same effect as you would with the Stage Kit. It'd still be awesome, though.
  • A new stage kit would be nice, but I'm just hoping for a minimum of continued support for the previous stage kit. I still have mine in working order and continue to use it with my 360. I'd like to be able to carry it over to the Xbox One.
  • I still have mine, and it works flawlessly!
  • m_estockm_estock Rising Star
    Add me to the list of supporters for a new stage kit / backwards compatibility with the old one. For people who have never seen one of these babies in action it really is a well done light show and there is a difference between this and products that simply "listen" to the music and generate patterns on their own.

The stage kit actually received light cues that Harmonix programmed into the song files. Here's a video of Livin on a Prayer with 2 stage kits: youtu.be/kHna2yRtXnY
  • TimmoWarnerTimmoWarner Opening Act
    I have a stage kit and would enjoy support but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

I would also LOVE to eventually see a wireless stage kit that just works with the game instead of taking up a player port.
  • IraVirusIraVirus Unsigned
    Wow. The stage kit seems really awesome. Sorry to have missed out on it.
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    Yea...I got my stage kit for $20...while not used very much, definitely awesome and probably still works like it's brand new.
    I would say with about 99% certainty it will not come back.

@LoopyChew, hue lighting? That sounds interesting.
    How expensive is "expenisve"?
  • c-murphc-murph Rising Star
    I think the ™ in the topic title should come after Stage Kit.
  • Here's my official support for a new RB4 stage kit. As long as they actually make it available for both the XBox One and PS4.

I doubt it will, though...

@LoopyChew, hue lighting? That sounds interesting.
    How expensive is "expenisve"?

Like hundred bucks a bulb expensive. A starter set is I think $280, which includes three bulbs and the control hub.
  • laneburytalaneburyta Unsigned
    edited March 2015
    If you are making the legacy controllers work for Rock Band 4, please make the Stage Kits also function. Even if they are just random. I have spent a lot of money on the Rock Band franchise, including guitars, drums, mics, DLC, and all the released games. The biggest disappointment was paying $100 for the stage kit (I actually have 2 wired together) only to have them not initially supported in Rock Band 3. Then of course after a lot of requesting, begging, and complaining, support was added. The stage kits add greatly to the fun of sitting around and rocking out on our fake guitars. I currently am looking for a reason to buy a xbox one, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare was a massive disappointment and couldn't get me to part with my money. But I can tell you right now, if Rock Band 4 supports the old hardware (although I would probably upgrade), old songs (which looks like it will) and the Stage Kits, I would be rushing out to pick up the new game and a new console. Please do what COD AW couldn't and make me buy a xbox one.