Any chance of Rock Band Network making a comeback with Rock Band 4?

I'm not expecting it on day one obviously, but if Rock Band 4 is successful, is there any chance of Rock Band Network making a comeback down the line? Obviously, smaller genre artists (like indie, punk, ska, etc) are a big gamble for DLC, so RBN was always a great way to get some of these "smaller" acts in the game, and a great way to discover new bands. I just get the feeling that if it weren't for RBN, we never would've gotten songs from bands like The Hold Steady, Ra Ra Riot, Less Than Jake, Band of Horses, Quiet Company, MC Lars, Flogging Molly, etc as normal DLC.

I get it though, if it's dead, it's dead. Just letting you guys know, at least I'm interested in seeing it come back.

Comments

• I'm hoping there is a chance that the old content could be ported to ps3/ps4 now that work is active again...
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    It's been confirmed that after they import all of the Rock Band songs that they will start to convert the RBN songs as well.

No additional specifics have been provided I'm aware of.
  • It's been confirmed that after they import all of the Rock Band songs that they will start to convert the RBN songs as well.

Do you mean the existing ones or just platform ones? I meant converting the Xbox ones that are still not on Playstation yet.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

It's been confirmed that after they import all of the Rock Band songs that they will start to convert the RBN songs as well.

Do you mean the existing ones or just platform ones? I meant converting the Xbox ones that are still not on Playstation yet.
    I doubt they have any intention of moving more RBN songs to PS3. That takes work, and I'm sure they're fully devoted to Rock Band 4
  • It would be nice if Rock Band Network makes a comeback. That is the only way we were able to get Emperor in the game.
  • Me too, as I want to put my songs on there even that I have a xbox and I'm in Australia and won't be able to play my own songs :D
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    RBN is another one of those features that I don't expect to come back but really really want. A lot of great gems came out from there and I would love for the service to remain available... I'm not sure if that's even possible on the Xbox One though since the creator services were an Xbox 360 thing, right?
    GLaDOS said:

I'm not sure if that's even possible on the Xbox One though since the creator services were an Xbox 360 thing, right?

I'm not totally sure, but from what I've read, I think the Xbox One is even MORE indie development friendly than Xbox 360 was, so I'm sure it's still possible.

Hopefully it comes back down the line. I'm not expecting it day one. Hell, I'm not even expecting it the first YEAR Rock Band 4 is out, but I'd like to see it come back. It was a great way for smaller bands to get noticed.
  • With the removal of keys, RBN songs would be out a bit swifter.

But yeah, I hope the RBN makes a come back, not just to help push DLC, but just so I don't have to have "The Main Thing" as the ONLY song I have out... that's just kind of torture to be THAT song of all songs. :P
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    Now that I actually have music to submit, I really hope it makes a comeback.
  • KooleKyleKooleKyle Rising Star
    Ehfahq said:

Now that I actually have music to submit, I really hope it makes a comeback.

I totally agree. Little Pants for rock band!!!
  • I also hope that they can somehow re-institute RBN for RB4. I'd hate to lose out on all the awesome bands that are just not high profile enough to get into official DLC.
  • RBN can't come back

Oh don't be so sure. I'm not saying it will come back, but I'm just saying, they may find a way.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    I think what Deferred is saying is that Harmonix may start their own system, similar to the RBN, without the involvement of a system-owned distribution service like XNA. I'm not entirely sure they could pull such a thing off, seeing how HMX doesn't have quite the work force it once did, but it'd be interesting to see if they can do something like that.

• DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited April 2015

I think what Deferred is saying is that Harmonix may start their own system, similar to the RBN, without the involvement of a system-owned distribution service like XNA. I'm not entirely sure they could pull such a thing off, seeing how HMX doesn't have quite the work force it once did, but it'd be interesting to see if they can do something like that.

Close. I'm mainly saying that the XNA shouldn't be seen as the ONLY way to get user-created content. While I have no system in mind, I'm just saying that just because we don't have the XNA doesn't mean that we're never going to see an RBN ever. I'm mainly saying this because most people seem to have a "Oh, they don't have said thing they had before, that means they're never ever going to be able to do it" attitude when it's really "Oh, they don't have said system but they should explore new ways to do said system." I'm not saying it's easy by any means but I'm saying there could be other possibilities, for example, what Gigakoops said.

I'm not saying there is a way, I'm not saying it's easy, I'm not saying there's not a way, and I'm not saying it's hard. I'm just saying that they could find other ways to distribute user-generated content, other than the XNA that was on 360. Whether they start their own system or walk up to Microsoft and demand a new XNA (I know, highly unlikely, but that's the point) is beyond me. I don't know what they could possibly do. But that's the thing, we don't know, I'm just saying don't be so sure they aren't going to do RBN just because they don't have XNA.

I know this is a different thing entirely, but remember when people thought RB4 was never coming because the music genre was "dead" and Harmonix "didn't have the resources"? I just don't like the negative "never" attitude. Why don't people just say "Probably won't"? Just suggest that you feel it's not possible instead of assuming it's never going to happen because Harmonix proved the doubters wrong about the whole RB4 thing.
  • So what about the songs someone had that are no longer on there anymore? Are we just **** out of luck on something we've already paid for?
  • So what about the songs someone had that are no longer on there anymore? Are we just **** out of luck on something we've already paid for?

The content you paid for can still be enjoyed on whatever previous-gen console you purchased it on.
    edited September 6

So what about the songs someone had that are no longer on there anymore? Are we just **** out of luck on something we've already paid for?

Licensing with RBN complicates things as far as transferring to a new console. It's not "official" add-on content, so there's a few more hoops to jump through.

The original answer was "Never say never!" and that they'd look into it once delisted DLC was done, but that all proved to be far more complicated than they thought. The fact that we're this close to the 2 year mark of RB4, and we still don't have all of our delisted DLC leaves me to believe there's next to no chance we're getting RBN content in RB4.

But like brookfieldworldorder said, you obviously can still enjoy all of that content in RB3. Personally, I'm a little disappointed we're probably never getting that stuff back, but in the grand scheme of things, I only had like 20-30 songs, and most of them only cost me $1, so it's not the end of the world.

Still though, a RB4 version of RBN would be incredible if it ever were to happen. Ihate to sound like a broken record, but it would be nice to have a handful of RBN songs to supplement official DLC if we're only getting 2 songs a week.

[EDIT]
    Oh god, I didn't realize how old this thread was! This is from way back when RB4 was first announced.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    We're not going to get so much of a mention of it without @HMXMister_Game on the team.
    @HMXOwl has been very negative about the last times I asked him.

We're not going to get so much of a mention of it without @HMXMister_Game on the team.
    @HMXOwl has been very negative about the last times I asked him.

With they amount of DLC and expansions coming to RB4 (or lack thereof), I really can't see them sinking tons of money into creating the infrastructure for a new RBN.

Unless there's some kind of super secret thing on the horizon that they've been sinking all of their resources into, I'd guess the amount of DLC/updates is pretty indicative to what kind of resources Harmonix actually has these days. RBN was launched back when we were getting 6-8 songs DLC on average per week, and while they were developing Green Day and Rock Band 3.