RB4 - Rumors and Facts

Comments

• Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    Sayburr said:

"Rock Band 4 is now set to return this October,"

I really hope this is true, but seeing as it wasn't a direct quote and the article also says "returns this Christmas" makes me wary.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    Casto21 said:

Sayburr said:

I really hope this is true, but seeing as it wasn't a direct quote and the article also says "returns this Christmas" makes me wary.
    Yeah, I feel the same... that is way I made sure to mark it as a rumor. Until Harmonix says it is OCT it is still just sometimes in 2015 (unless delayed).

• LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Casto21 said:

Sayburr said:

"This Christmas" is their way of saying "we're releasing it when it's the hot thing to buy, and we're timing it so it makes for the perfect Christmas gift." I'll point out that the original release stated "Holidays 2015," and that RB3 was announced for "Holidays 2010." In other words, "this Christmas" means "October is pretty likely."
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I figure they are aiming for October, with wiggle-room built in to the schedule so that it "for sure" comes out before Christmas. Officially it's still just "2015".
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    xXKarzaXx said:

One thing that definitely needs fixing for vocals is to do with the leaderboard.There is currently a person on Xbox 360 who has deliberately had their band mates fail out to pull them out of star power so they can activate it again later.That gives them a star power path that is unachievable solo.Simple fix,either go back to where solo scores had to be done solo,or make it so if anyone fails out,no-one can submit a score to the leaderboard.Anyone who has a problem with their bandmates potentially sabotaging their ability to submit a score can play with no-fail on.

We have the same issue on PS3. Actually, there are several people who have done this, but one clearly stands out in terms of sheer quantity. Assuming Harmonix fixes this problem, I would dearly love to see the look on that pathetic turd's face when he realizes he can't cheat his way to the #1 spots anymore.

• MofoMan2000MofoMan2000 Rising Star
    edited March 2015
    xXKarzaXx said:

One thing that definitely needs fixing for vocals is to do with the leaderboard.There is currently a person on Xbox 360 who has deliberately had their band mates fail out to pull them out of star power so they can activate it again later.That gives them a star power path that is unachievable solo.Simple fix,either go back to where solo scores had to be done solo,or make it so if anyone fails out,no-one can submit a score to the leaderboard.Anyone who has a problem with their bandmates potentially sabotaging their ability to submit a score can play with no-fail on.

This. Although there's a third option: If someone fails in a song, don't deactivate overdrive and instead let it burn out. Personally I'd prefer this.
  • Numskull said:

We have the same issue on PS3. Actually, there are several people who have done this, but one clearly stands out in terms of sheer quantity. Assuming Harmonix fixes this problem, I would dearly love to see the look on that pathetic turd's face when he realizes he can't cheat his way to the #1 spots anymore.

It's so ridiculously obvious on Hysteria.

This. Although there's a third option: If someone fails in a song, don't deactivate overdrive and instead let it burn out. Personally I'd prefer this.

I hadn't considered that,but yes,that would also work.
  • AbaddonAbaddon Road Warrior
    edited March 2015
    Christmas is too late. You can bank that the game will be on shelves no later than Black Friday. Based on that, shooting for October with some wiggle room to make no later than Thanksgiving makes a lot of sense to me.

Regarding vocals, I always thought it would be cool if the game could make you actually use the lyrics. I am imagining some pretty loose detection here since people have a wide variety of ways they sing. But something that would be able to distinguish between singing actual words with roughly correct phonemes and just humming or using nonsense words with the right pitch. Or maybe they could just use it for spoken sections, which are currently pretty lame.

That might be impossible, but if they could pull it off, that'd be cool. Maybe just as an Expert+ type mode though.
    I remember that Karaoke Revolution let the other people in the room vote on the performance. "Technically, you got the points, but that other dude actually sounded better!" It was all a matter of quality of voice (timbre? vibratto?), someone could sound better even if they didn't get graded as highly. Very rarely was it a matter of them just humming of muttering nonsense tones instead of using the right words. But I've seen that on YouTube and it looks ridiculous, though I don't agree that it's the kind of ridiculous that needs to be fixed.

Also ridicuous: using a loophole to fail your way to success on the leaderboards. But if the game lets you get away with it, I understand why some "win at all costs" types would do it.

At PAX East I heard a band do an AC/DC song on Rock Band where the lead singer growled his way through using a gutteral monster voice. I'm not sure he was using the right words, or even if he was singing "words" at all, but it actually sounded pretty cool (and I think it scored well too).
  • Sayburr said:

New info added:

Harmonix is working through the core catalog of Rock Band DLC first, but plans to convert RBN songs as well. RBN songs will be converted after all of the core catalog has been finished.

Does this mean that all the network songs will finally be released on Sony Playstation. I dare to hope. I will run out and buy the game and system right now if someone can confirm that.
  • Sayburr said:

New info added:

Harmonix is working through the core catalog of Rock Band DLC first, but plans to convert RBN songs as well. RBN songs will be converted after all of the core catalog has been finished.

Does this mean that all the network songs will finally be released on Sony Playstation. I dare to hope. I will run out and buy the game and system right now if someone can confirm that.
    That is not an HMX quote, it is the writers comment based on the conversation so this is anything BUT confirmed at this point.

• Doc_SoCal said:

Sayburr said:

New info added:

That is not an HMX quote, it is the writers comment based on the conversation so this is anything BUT confirmed at this point.

Still... it needs to happen. They'll be processing the other songs anyway, right? If they're transferring the DLC? So why not finally finish the backlog?

Understand, I have been hoping for access to those songs for years. My OCD pains me since it affects several artists I would otherwise have complete collections of.

I REALLY WANT to give Harmonix my money. This will be a KEY decision factor.
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    I somehow doubt the remaining RBN songs would be ported over now. There's quite a few tracks left, and it would be quite the amount work. It might not even be financially viable for Harmonix to bring playstation owners all of the remaining tracks. There are several tracks I wish they'd brought over, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited March 2015

xXKarzaXx said:

Maybe instead, it should auto-save the fail-out and empty the other player's overdrive?

If you're sitting on a big pile of Overdrive and the song's about to end, it should auto-deploy so that the last notes get it.
    I'd prefer have a meter / digital timer showing you how far you are through the song, if they did anything differently at all. There's nothing really "wrong" with making you go through the song several times to get used to where the overdrive parts are / when the song is close to ending. Some people like the challenge.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited March 2015
    It would be nice if there were some cue like that to let you know that you'll be playing again after a long rest period. So it doesn't just jump out at you from nowhere and catch you off guard. I bet I'd enjoy a lot of those terrible keyboard songs with tons of downtime more if I didn't have to hover over the keyboard waiting for a piano part that takes five minutes to show up. To make it absolutely perfect, the lanes for the upcoming "surprise" notes should flash so you'll be good and ready.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Guitar Hero did this with at least vocals if I recall correctly, It flashed "Get Ready!" A few seconds before the words showed up if you had gone awhile without anything to sing
  • I'd prefer have a meter / digital timer showing you how far you are through the song, if they did anything differently at all. There's nothing really "wrong" with making you go through the song several times to get used to where the overdrive parts are / when the song is close to ending. Some people like the challenge.

Yes to this! Id like to have the option to show how far you have progressed through the song, would be great for seeing if I have enough time to get a gold star/ know when I should use overdrive.
  • I somehow doubt the remaining RBN songs would be ported over now. There's quite a few tracks left, and it would be quite the amount work. It might not even be financially viable for Harmonix to bring playstation owners all of the remaining tracks. There are several tracks I wish they'd brought over, but I'm not holding my breath.

It has to happen, at least with Freezepop and MC Frontalot. There is a demand for these songs on the platform.
  • Skynyrd45Skynyrd45 Opening Act
    WIIBARON said:

Did I miss where the announcement says that DLC will be returning on any basis? Weekly, monthly or otherwisely?

Sadly, no, you have not. They have not announced anything regarding the return of DLC.
  • Abaddon said:

Regarding vocals, I always thought it would be cool if the game could make you actually use the lyrics. I am imagining some pretty loose detection here since people have a wide variety of ways they sing. But something that would be able to distinguish between singing actual words with roughly correct phonemes and just humming or using nonsense words with the right pitch. Or maybe they could just use it for spoken sections, which are currently pretty lame.

That might be impossible, but if they could pull it off, that'd be cool. Maybe just as an Expert+ type mode though.

I'm Australian and I'd have to disagree with that.I don't know if you ever tried doing a talky phrase on Rock Band 2,but they were picky as hell and wouldn't work half the time for me because of my accent.Hell,even most Americans had trouble with those.The most notably difficult were the talkies on One Way Or Another.

Also,it doesn't help when the game has the lyrics wrong on some songs.Imagine the game forcing you to sing the incorrect lyrics.That would bother me to no end.
    I always figured that Harmonix put a lot of effort into finding the actual lyrics. When I sing a song I learned by heart on Rock Band at karaoke, the lyrics on screen can be off, and I always side with the Harmonix interpretation* over what the CD-G disc says I should be singing. What songs do you think they got wrong? Surely it must be for songs that have widespread disagreement, so that whatever they go with some group will say, "no, that's not it".

The talky parts, you just need to make noise, any noise, the accent shouldn't matter. Either your timing or duration is off. But you can post your performance to YouTube and show us examples.

* because I am an unapologetic fan of the brand. conclusion may not be based on any actual science / research / evidence, other than personal observation and judgement
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    edited March 2015
    WIIBARON said:

Did I miss where the announcement says that DLC will be returning on any basis? Weekly, monthly or otherwisely?

I have a hard time believing that they plan on this being the only Rockband for this gen of consoles and not have DLC returning fairly regularly, I believe they said they plan on RB4 lasting 5-7 years with support for the game ongoing. Just my two cents but I'm willing to bet they have been licensing songs for sometime now and have a plethera of songs for DLC to give us continued fun and continued revenue for them for the entire 5 years. Here's to hoping I'm right :smile:
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    edited March 2015

Will RB4 DLC be released for RB3?

Guess it's time for me to show up and say no. They said as much at PAX. Frank Turner is it. No more DLC for RB3 leading up to 4, no DLC once 4 gets going. And with RBN2.0 down, Rock Band 3 is now complete. It's got all it will ever have.
    Kind of makes no sense, how do they plan on sustaining a game like RB4 for 5-7 years with nothing but the on disc music. It'll never happen they will have to start releasing DLC again once RB4 is released.

EDIT: Unless you are saying no more RB3 DLC once 4 gets going. I may have misunderstood you and that would make sense
    I missed the part where they confirmed that there will be no more RB3 DLC starting now. I'm willing to believe it I just haven't seen that in print. But yes, it makes sense that once RB4 comes out the new DLC after that won't be backwards compatible with RB3. And there will be new DLC, that IS an explicit part of the plan, RB4 itself will get new songs (and maybe even new features) after it is released.
  • hmxhenry said:

while we're working on bringing the back catalog of DLC over to RB4 on new consoles

Still have some hope this will apply to the Network songs. This is the best chance for PS users to ever get them, since they're porting everything else already.
  • MaximusDMMaximusDM Opening Act

hmxhenry said:

while we're working on bringing the back catalog of DLC over to RB4 on new consoles

Still have some hope this will apply to the Network songs. This is the best chance for PS users to ever get them, since they're porting everything else already.
    When I heard it I thought it was VERY safe to presume it meant that all content released for the PS3 would be brought over. Not content from 360 brought over to PS3 in order to be brought over to PS4.
    From what my understanding is, they need to re-list all their dlc, as new content that can be available for PS4 along with all the QA and approval from Sony and such that comes with it.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    meck77 said:

Will RB4 DLC be released for RB3?

Guess it's time for me to show up and say no. They said as much at PAX. Frank Turner is it. No more DLC for RB3 leading up to 4, no DLC once 4 gets going. And with RBN2.0 down, Rock Band 3 is now complete. It's got all it will ever have.
    Kind of makes no sense, how do they plan on sustaining a game like RB4 for 5-7 years with nothing but the on disc music. It'll never happen they will have to start releasing DLC again once RB4 is released.

EDIT: Unless you are saying no more RB3 DLC once 4 gets going. I may have misunderstood you and that would make sense
    When I first read what you quoted I thought the same thing because of how it's worded. But, yeah, I'm pretty possitive he means no more RB 3 dlc once 4 is released. So basically they are just done with last gen, I take it.

That's disappointing, but understandable, I guess. I thought they may have wanted to generate interest for RB 4 through returning to do some dlc for 3 leading up to it, but considering how much work will be involved in converting the legacy dlc over to the new game and systems, they likely have their hands full as it is. And every song they might have released for 3 between now and then would just be creating more work for themselves.