Which artists in Rock Band have you seen in real life?

Comments

• NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited September 6

BaronRob said:

I saw Evanescence last week and they sucked. Good thing we were there to see Lindsey Sterling!

I saw them a week ago too and they were fine, especially since they dropped the dated and even-then stupid nu-metal male vocal part from Bring Me To Life. I prob would have liked to see a regular concert first, but the orchestra was great, although the thing was the Amy Lee show even more than I expected, with the band members basically just part of the orchestra.
    I was expecting to see a rock band perform. A kind of metal-ey rock band. What we got was a diva performing with an orchestra and not letting her rock band perform, just blend in with the orchestra. It was bizarre. The guitarists and bassist just kind of sat with the orchestra, sometimes playing along but mostly not, frequently leaving the stage for a few songs at a time. Then coming back without really being allowed to have any impact. Amy brought Lindsey out to fiddle a solo to one song, but she didn't ever let her guitarist take a solo.

I guess if you like and wanted to see a diva fronting an orchestra it was okay, but I wanted to see a rock band and thought it sucked. For the record, I would be fine with seeing a rock band backed by an orchestra, but that was not the case here.
    Probably felt they had to/were told to soften up for the Lindsey Sterling crowd if so. On the live stream I saw they had a bunch of shreddy solo stuff going on that weren't in the studio versions of the songs, so seems like they might be best to see when they don't warm up for somebody else maybe
  • BaronRob said:

I saw Evanescence last week and they sucked. Good thing we were there to see Lindsey Sterling!

I saw them a week ago too and they were fine, especially since they dropped the dated and even-then stupid nu-metal male vocal part from Bring Me To Life. I prob would have liked to see a regular concert first, but the orchestra was great, although the thing was the Amy Lee show even more than I expected, with the band members basically just part of the orchestra.
    I was expecting to see a rock band perform. A kind of metal-ey rock band. What we got was a diva performing with an orchestra and not letting her rock band perform, just blend in with the orchestra. It was bizarre. The guitarists and bassist just kind of sat with the orchestra, sometimes playing along but mostly not, frequently leaving the stage for a few songs at a time. Then coming back without really being allowed to have any impact. Amy brought Lindsey out to fiddle a solo to one song, but she didn't ever let her guitarist take a solo.

I guess if you like and wanted to see a diva fronting an orchestra it was okay, but I wanted to see a rock band and thought it sucked. For the record, I would be fine with seeing a rock band backed by an orchestra, but that was not the case here.
    I don't think we are that far apart, really. I think it was a change of pace that would have worked better for me if it really was a change of pace and not the first and thus so far only time I saw them. But I still enjoyed it enough that it was worth seeing.

Tonight I am seeing a Brazilian prog metal band with Brazilian music influences, after yesterday seeing Australian prog metal band that I swear has new wave influences.

I also saw a band with a song about an invasion of undead unicorns. Their only influence is pure awesomeness.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

Probably felt they had to/were told to soften up for the Lindsey Sterling crowd if so. On the live stream I saw they had a bunch of shreddy solo stuff going on that weren't in the studio versions of the songs, so seems like they might be best to see when they don't warm up for somebody else maybe

A couple of points here:

Evanescence went on last at my show, so Lindsey was the warm up of the co-headliners. (And blew Amy Lee away)

I got the definite feeling that Amy Lee just wanted to show off fronting an orchestra, not that she was "told to tone it down" by anybody. She should probably be billed as "Amy Lee (from Evanescence)" these days instead of billed as "Evanescence".
    BaronRob said:

I don't think we are that far apart, really. I think it was a change of pace that would have worked better for me if it really was a change of pace and not the first and thus so far only time I saw them. But I still enjoyed it enough that it was worth seeing.

Maybe. It was my first and only time seeing them. Maybe if I had seen them 25 times already this would be an interesting change of pace. As it was we were bored and we bailed at the break before the fake encore to beat traffic, and that was an absolutely excellent decision.
  • BaronRob said:

I also saw a band with a song about an invasion of undead unicorns. Their only influence is pure awesomeness.

Gloryhammer? AKA Chris Bowes from Alestorm’s other band.
  • Vexus said:

BaronRob said:

Gloryhammer? AKA Chris Bowes from Alestorm’s other band.
    If there is another band with a song about an army of undead unicorns, Bowes would need to contact his lawyer. Sadly I did not get to touch the Hammer of Glory. Maybe in LA next week.
  • Let’s see....mine are:

Aerosmith
    Alice Cooper
    Billy Joel
    Cheap Trick
    Foreigner
    Green Day
    Daryl Hall & John Oates
    Huey Lewis & the News
    Jimmy Eat World
    KISS
    The Offspring
    Paul McCartney
    Tears for Fears
    “Weird Al” Yankovic
    The Who

• Black Sabbath
    Buzzcocks
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Radiohead
    Weezer
    Blondie
    Devo
    NIN
    Offspring
    Paramore
    Pixies
    Billy Idol
    The Damned
    Dinosaur Jr
    Electric Six
    Jane's Addiction
    L7
    Ministry
    Motorhead
    Rancid
    Social Distortion
    Styx
    Tencaious D
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    TV on the Radio
    New Order
    The Stooges
    Violent Femmes
    X
    Cheap Trick
    Merle Haggard
    System of a Down
    Andrew WK
    Iggy Pop
    Weird Al Yankovic
    The Cure
    Ruby Rose Fox
    Semisonic
    Cake
    Littlefoot
    Beck
    Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    Modest Mouse
    Replacements
    Amy Winehouse
    Anthrax
    At The Drive In
    Flaming Lips
    Primus
    Tegan and Sara

I THINK that's all of them. I know theres a few others I've sort of walked past at festivals, but didn't stay long enough to say that i've really seen them.

Update

Dwight Yoakam
    Steve Earle
    Lucinda Williams
    Young The Giant
    Sum 41
    Incubus
    No Small Children

• Last week I finally got to see Coheed and Cambria for the first time since discovering them way back in RB1. They did not disappoint. Absolutely killer show! Nice selection of newer and older songs including 2 of my all time fave songs of theirs!

Next week..... Def Leppard and Journey!
  • Happy to report, next week, seeing Trivium for the first time as a headliner! The concert also includes the new band led by the former Killswitch Engage singer, Light the Torch.
  • My wife was VERY EAGER to see Andrew W.K. when he came to DC in May, but she had to be out of town on that date. So we saw him in Austin, TX last weekend. I knew that "Party Hard" was his most well-known song, but somehow I missed the fact that it's his most well-known song by several orders of magnitude. He explicitly noted, before the obvious encore song began, that the rest of the evening was really just a warm-up to this final moment of pure joyous partying.

There's a whole set of strange stories suggesting Mr. W.K. isn't really who he says he is, that maybe he has a doppelgänger or was brainwashed and tried to escape once but was caught ... crazy stuff. Some of his early songs have REALLY bizarre lyrics. There is indeed something odd about him, but maybe it's just his commitment to partying and positivity that stands out. Yeah, it cannot be denied that he sure loves to party, and sing about partying, and chat between songs about partying. But he (or someone ghost writing for him) wrote a surprisingly well-reasoned and supportive advice column for the Village Voice. So it seems that he contains multitudes.

He sure is energetic. And he brought out the Taco Guitar, what fun! One of his guitarists, Amanda Lepre, is from Austin, and it turns out that her parents were standing right next to us for the whole show. Telling everyone around them, "that's our daughter, isn't she amazing?". Yes, she is indeed.

Mohawk Austin is a unique venue, it appears to be a normal building from the outside but you walk in and you're in an open-air performance space, with several tiers, giving the place a whole range of options with great sightlines.

• GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    I'm seeing Phoenix next week!
    The Voidz is also opening for them, and while they're not in Rock Band their lead singer's other band, The Strokes was in Rock Band 1, some DLC from either band would be amazing
    Saw Styx again last night. They put on a great show every time, so check them out when they come to your town.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    edited October 1

Saw Styx again last night. They put on a great show every time, so check them out when they come to your town.

I would love to. So disappointed I was not really into Rock Band before their songs were pulled. What I wouldn’t give for Long Nights (Blue Collar Man) or Renegade.
  • I saw Chris Isaak a few weeks ago, and Kansas last Friday!

One of those we could use in Rock Band period and the other we just need more of.
  • Saw Styx again last night. They put on a great show every time, so check them out when they come to your town.

I saw them years ago when they opened for Def Leppard here in my city. Lawrence Gowan was doing lead vocals and keys duty at the time. Yes they were great.

• GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Looks like I can add CHVRCHES to my list, seen them a few times now. Hope we get "The Mother We Share" eventually
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Seeing NIN tomorrow night, it'll be my first show at The Anthem (Washington, DC)
    I have seen them twice before.
    Opening act = Jesus & Mary Chain: they don't appear in Rock Band yet, outrageous!
  • GLaDOS said:

Looks like I can add CHVRCHES to my list, seen them a few times now. Hope we get "The Mother We Share" eventually

Poked my head in just to see how many people would add CHVRCHES to their list. I'm not one of them, but I can see a lot of the rest of the community doing so.

So far it's just the one.
    Dang it, Ozzy's infected hand and re-scheduling of tonight's concert to next week knocks Stone Sour off of getting added to my list since they can't support the new dates.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Just added Foo Fighters
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited October 11
    As I understood it, the drum solo in "The Perfect Drug" (NIN) is impossible to play live, but now I'm reading that it was more a matter of, "Trent Reznor doesn't like the song that much". They played it last night and the drum solo left my mouth agape ("he's doing it! he's really doing it!") and then the drummer took a well-deserved break. Briefly.

I'm glad Trent overcame his anger and went ahead and performed the song, it's not close to one of my favorite NIN tracks but somehow that felt special.

Like if I ever saw "Radiohead" and they decided to play "Creep" that night. So very special.

I don't currently have tickets to see "Garbage" at the Lincoln Theater on the 21st, and it is sold out, but I'm now thinking that it's important that I attend.
    EDIT: oh, 2nd night added, not sold out, "general admission seated". Hah. I picture getting furious at people trying to save whole rows of seats for their friends who are "in the bathroom". Maybe.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act

So very special.

Clean version I see. B)
  • dudemann14dudemann14 Rising Star
    edited October 11

Bands that I've seen that have songs in RB released through discs or DLC (non-RBN):
    30 Seconds to Mars
    AC/DC
    AFI
    Against Me!
    Alien Ant Farm
    All American Rejects
    Angels and Airwaves
    Pat Benatar
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Breaking Benjamin
    Bullet for My Valentine
    The Darkness
    Dead Sara
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Deftones
    Dinosaur Jr.
    Fall Out Boy
    Foo Fighters
    Freezepop
    Green Day
    Joan Jett
    Jimmy Eat World
    Killswitch Engage
    Korn
    L7
    Lacuna Coil
    Marilyn Manson
    Mutemath
    My Chemical Romance
    Neon Trees
    Panic at the Disco
    Liz Phair
    The Pretenders
    The Pretty Reckless
    Rammstein
    Rise Against
    Scandal
    Silversun Pickups
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Sum 41
    System of a Down
    Three Days Grace
    Trapt
    KT Tunstall
    The Used
    Weezer
    Yellowcard

Members of bands in RB that I've seen play as solo artists:
    Gavin Rossdale of Bush
    Mike Gordon of Phish
    Frank Black of The Pixies
    Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots
    Gaz Coombes of Supergrass
    Fred Mascherino of Taking Back Sunday

Bands only released through RBN (there may be more, but I didn't really thoroughly go through the RBN list. These are just the ones I remember being in RBN off the top of my head):
    Asking Alexandria
    Dandy Warhols
    The New Regime
    Senses Fail
    Silverstein

I've also met Anthrax and Staind, but never seen them live... I'm probably missing some, but this is the best I can recall at the moment.

Time for an update a little over two years later... New bands/artists I've seen in RB since August 2016 or have come out as DLC since I made my initial list:
    3 Doors Down
    Alice in Chains
    Bad Religion
    Blondie
    Catfish and the Bottlemen
    Chevelle
    Chvrches
    Jonathan Coulton
    Cracker
    Filter
    Foghat
    Foster the People
    Gym Class Heroes
    Hozier
    Incubus
    Carly Rae Jepsen
    The Killers
    Huey Lewis and the News
    Night Ranger
    The Offspring
    Paramore
    Plain White T's
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Social Distortion
    Thrice
    Andrew WK
    Rob Zombie

Members of bands I've seen as solo artists:
    Jonathan Davis of Korn
    Tom Higgenson of Plain White T's
    Rivers Cuomo of Weezer
    Ryan Key of Yellowcard

Band that was RBN but hasn't transitioned into RB4 as of now:
    Bayside

I also met Dee Snider of Twisted Sister and Claudio Sanchez of Coheed and Cambria but did not see them perform, so they have not officially made the list yet. And met Anthrax for a second time but still didn't see them live because apparently they're just destined to forever avoid the list as well.

I'll be seeing Laura Jane Grace of Against Me! as a solo artist and Good Charlotte in November, so they'll be added again at that point, as well as Walk the Moon in December.

Also saw quite a few of the original list's bands again in that span of time but didn't wanna make this any more obnoxious than it already is.

Super excited to finally see Chvrches make their way into the game today, one of my favorite artists of the past few years and they also put on really great shows!
    Vexus said:

GLaDOS said:

Poked my head in just to see how many people would add CHVRCHES to their list. I'm not one of them, but I can see a lot of the rest of the community doing so.

So far it's just the one.
    Now you've got two!
  • As I understood it, the drum solo in "The Perfect Drug" (NIN) is impossible to play live, but now I'm reading that it was more a matter of, "Trent Reznor doesn't like the song that much". They played it last night and the drum solo left my mouth agape ("he's doing it! he's really doing it!") and then the drummer took a well-deserved break. Briefly.

I'm glad Trent overcame his anger and went ahead and performed the song, it's not close to one of my favorite NIN tracks but somehow that felt special.

Like if I ever saw "Radiohead" and they decided to play "Creep" that night. So very special.

I don't currently have tickets to see "Garbage" at the Lincoln Theater on the 21st, and it is sold out, but I'm now thinking that it's important that I attend.
    EDIT: oh, 2nd night added, not sold out, "general admission seated". Hah. I picture getting furious at people trying to save whole rows of seats for their friends who are "in the bathroom". Maybe.

Man, I'm jealous you got to see Perfect Drug live! Thank you for the description, I can dream.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Halestorm on Saturday!