Guitar Hero Live - New Guitar Hero Game

Comments

• Witticus said:

I guess I'll give this a try (probably on my WiiU) .

Why in the hell would you ever do that to yourself?
    With no Zelda until 2016, I guess I gotta do something with it. ;)
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    Doc_SoCal said:

calloy said:

i just feel sorry for all those kids who ask for RB for christmas & get stinky old GH because their parents didn't know the difference

At least only one has the word "Band" in it now.

now only one has a band, period. i'm so glad they left off drums & vocals. both were terrible anyhow
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited April 2015

Witticus said:

I guess I'll give this a try (probably on my WiiU) .

Why in the hell would you ever do that to yourself?
    With no Zelda until 2016, I guess I gotta do something with it. ;)
    Smash Bros. and Mario Kart? :p

Another concern of mine is how faster segments will work. I'd imagine wrapping the notes to fit on such a system would be a pain. Stuff like Beast and the Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold would probably be horrendous to play and look at, because rather than having five frets in a row to look at, there's two rows of three, meaning fast ascending patterns will most likely be wrapped in a weird groups-of-three fashion rather than the normal groups-of-four, which probably wouldn't work well on note patterns with straight 16th notes in songs in 4/4 time.

Holy run-on sentences, Batman!
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    looks like having to start from scratch in every way to me. no downloads carry over & you have to forget the old plastic guitar & relearn the new plastic guitar.
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited April 2015
    First Impressions

6 button controller -

To be fair- I see the idea that a lot of people don't just want more of the same and that the challenge of learning it might provide some with the impetus to remain engaged from the gaming aspect of things.
    To give my honest opinion - I have already invested years in the 5 button and have no desire whatsoever to learn how to incorrectly play guitar yet another way.

No other instruments -
    To be fair - GH band games never compared to RB anyway. The vocal engine was inferior and the drums were the worst. Probably a smart idea for them.
    To give my honest opinion - With RB 4 on the frontier and gaining momentum....Bad idea....no one will want to re-learn GH when you don't have to with RB4.

Apparent lack of backward compatibility with DLC-
    To be fair - Nope
    To give my honest opinion - With the varied catalog folks already have in DLC and multiple games I feel this is even more of a "gamebreaker", so to speak.

Completely changing something that people were familiar with, endeared to, and calling it the same thing -
    To be fair - Once again, Nope.
    To give my honest opinion - It's like after a horrible flaming death you somehow got Jesus powers several years later, resurrected yourself, Had your guts swapped out and had your face worked on. When you got back into town no one recognized you, and you were in fact shunned for being a weirdo.

more to follow
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    I can't help but look at videos and get a rocksmith vibe with the way its first person with an audience. However Rocksmith is at least useful with its approach as in you're using a real damn guitar. This is starting to feel like a gigantic step backwards.

Hey kids, real guitar too cool for you? Hate spending time with friends in a fake band? Like starting from scratch after an established franchise torched preexisting DLC? Have we got a game for you!
  • maybe it's just a really late April Fool's joke. Silly Activision, they thought it was the whole month. LOL
  • osteofightosteofight Road Warrior
    The new guitar layout is innovative, but comes with a lot of baggage. While I appreciate the great effort put into filming the FMV, that is a bad idea for the reasons that have already been mentioned (motion sickness, repetition... also you seem to be a hetero male based on the social cues in the sequence).
  • Seems to be begging for a VR headset version with this format.
    edited April 2015

also you seem to be a hetero male based on the social cues in the sequence).

My god, didn't even think of that. With no character creation, it's impossible to really immerse yourself into the world of the game, as you're essentially playing through the eyes of someone you probably won't even relate to.

Even if you are a straight, heteronormative male, the backing members seem a bit too hipster-y to actually be accessible to multiple tastes. While I'd find it hilarious to see a YouTube video of these guys playing thrash or death metal, it definitely wouldn't feel immersive actually PLAYING thrash or death metal in the game if the backup band looks more fit to play The Lumineers.

That also brings up the question of female-fronted artists. Will there even be any? Will they swap out the vocalist during female-fronted songs? So far all of the groups are male-fronted, which is actually worrisome, at least to me, since a lot of my favorite artists and bands are actually female-lead.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I guess I can't really just wait for it to fail and go on clearance, because the online play will probably be shut down shortly after that. But I'm not paying $99 for this game, I'm just not.

Part of the initial appeal of Guitar Hero (created by Harmonix) is simulating the thrill of performing rock music live in front of an audience. This does that in two new ways (new controller, new POV): yeah, I can see why they would go in this direction, sure. Having a totally new plastic guitar is not automatically a crazy idea, making innovative changes sometimes pays off in a big way. I am a bit disappointed that we won't have a 2nd company making guitars that are compatible with RB4. And this design looks much smarter than the prototypes for the GH7 game that they eventually gave up on, the controller that had 6 buttons and 6 strum bars (!). Making 2 lanes of buttons adds another level of "realism" without making the controller too complicated to understand and too expensive to manufacture. It does make me curious how other configurations would feel. 3x3? 2x4? How big would you need to make the grid it to simulate most real chord structures [minus the shifting up and down the neck]? I figure 6x4 would cover 95% of what gets played, probably 5x3 would work really well too. I guess a Mustang would let you see exactly how that would feel.

But it doesn't seem to be chasing realism. They are just creating a different challenge, for those bored with 1 row of 5 buttons. It's not aiming to be a guitar tutor, nor does it have any "party game" features. So I guess it's just meant to be a new handform* and rhythm challenge, for solo scoreboard chasing? While also simulating the viewpoint of being on stage and performing? OK. I do hope I get to try it. But I'd feel just a bit silly giving them $99 to get to own this on day 1.

"Streaming music play", now that's an intriguing feature, too bad it seems to be completely impossible under the RB4 model. But having the ability to import most of the songs purchased on the PS3, and being able to purchase even more RB + RB3 songs and play them on the original super-fun game, now that easily trumps the GH model [none of the DLC exports, and in fact it's all long gone from the store, so whatever you didn't buy previously can now never be purchased].

*"You've mastered 1x5, now see how you do on 2x3! Your original GH skills aren't going to work any more, so come show us how long it takes you to get to expert level with this new configuration!"
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    i think the new controller could present a marketing opportunity for HMX. "Got an old GH controller laying around? Want to play it on your next-gen console? Well, with GH Live you're out of luck.... but you can still use it on RB4!"
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    tnevaker said:

i think the new controller could present a marketing opportunity for HMX. "Got an old GH controller laying around? Want to play it on your next-gen console? Well, with GH Live you're out of luck.... but you can still use it on RB4!"

HMX should hire Frank Underwood for their PR.

• tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

also you seem to be a hetero male based on the social cues in the sequence).

My god, didn't even think of that. With no character creation, it's impossible to really immerse yourself into the world of the game, as you're essentially playing through the eyes of someone you probably won't even relate to.

Even if you are a straight, heteronormative male, the backing members seem a bit too hipster-y to actually be accessible to multiple tastes. While I'd find it hilarious to see a YouTube video of these guys playing thrash or death metal, it definitely wouldn't feel immersive actually PLAYING thrash or death metal in the game if the backup band looks more fit to play The Lumineers.

That also brings up the question of female-fronted artists. Will there even be any? Will they swap out the vocalist during female-fronted songs? So far all of the groups are male-fronted, which is actually worrisome, at least to me, since a lot of my favorite artists and bands are actually female-lead.
    ACTUALLY, that's not the only band in the game, just the only one in the trailer. The one in the trailer is called Broken Tide, and they've announced 4 others, supposedly there's supposed to be more, each one specializing in a certain genre, decade, etc.

At first, I wasn't too worried about them having exclusive artists, but I see they still have Rolling Stones somehow, which is seriously the only band they've announced that predates the 2000s
  • edited April 2015
    This description of the game play sounds.... interesting.
    Every move the guitarist makes was choreographed by FreeStyleGames – the team behind DJ Hero – way in advance of the physical shoot. The camera's movement is programmed with the position of your bandmates in mind and to focus on them during key parts of a particular song. And despite the 'guitarist' really being a machine capable of taking on the Hulk, it can simulate the subtlest head movements. But the ability to perfectly repeat the same movements with every take is what allows Guitar Hero Live to seamless transition between positive and negative performances. While I was on set, I saw the same track performed multiple times – some renditions were ‘positive’ takes, other ‘negatives’. If you mess up repeatedly during a section of a track, the footage will transition into the 'negative' take; there's a visual cue to let you know you're doing badly – it's reminiscent of the effect you get when shot in Call of Duty – and it's this that blends the cuts. Quickly nail the proceeding section, and it’ll transition back to a reassuring set of bandmates and a screaming audience with a more pleasing, glittering transition to conceal the crossfade.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/14/guitar-hero-live-wants-to-give-you-stagefright?abthid=552d2dd896c577f20300000f

• calloycalloy Unsigned
    haha...like i need a visual cue to know that i'm doing badly. i'm the one doing it badly, man!
  • The new guitar layout is innovative, but comes with a lot of baggage. While I appreciate the great effort put into filming the FMV, that is a bad idea for the reasons that have already been mentioned (motion sickness, repetition... also you seem to be a hetero male based on the social cues in the sequence).

But don't you know? Obviously only white hetero cis dudes play video games, especially rhythm games!

*looks in the mirror*

Oh... wait, no that isn't the case at all
    Since no one else has, here's the official press release site. They have more info on gameplay, how GHTV works, as well as a few more things about the controller. My favorite part is the fact that the band that's shown in the trailer actually has a bio, and there's also a list of other bands you play with, including... an orchestra.

My favorite part of the controller segment is how they describe the "Hero Power Button" as new and innovative, but it's essentially the Star Power button from GH5's guitar. It also asks "Why mess with perfection" when talking about the strum bar. Yes, Activision, why DID you mess with perfection...
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    This forum doesn't have the proper emojis to express my emotions right now. I need something that's a combination of laughing, vomiting, laughing again, crying, vomiting again and laughing some more.

They cannot be serious:

• TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Oh gosh, I'm extremely conflicted here. I'm a die-hard Rock Band fan through and through, but this looks kinda interesting and the glimpses given of the soundtrack were right up my alley with its focus on indie and alternative and apparent lack (so far) of metal. I'd probably pick it up if I ever saw it on sale, maybe the game and the guitar for $60 or less. I just wish RB4 would start giving us a taste of its song selection, so I can shift my attention back to the good side.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Seriously?

(turn down your volume)
  • Just reserved mine bruther
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    7% sales tax? We haven't seen it that low in CA since the 70's.
  • edited April 2015
    TheStuddz said:

Oh gosh, I'm extremely conflicted here. I'm a die-hard Rock Band fan through and through, but this looks kinda interesting and the glimpses given of the soundtrack were right up my alley with its focus on indie and alternative and apparent lack (so far) of metal. I'd probably pick it up if I ever saw it on sale, maybe the game and the guitar for $60 or less. I just wish RB4 would start giving us a taste of its song selection, so I can shift my attention back to the good side.

Rock Band bruther has always and always will be for it's fan dude. The songs they put out are requested by the audience dude.

Cracks chair over Studz's head dude.
  • Wait, I assume the game will use studio recordings, so won't that make it reaaaaaaally weird when the singer sounds like he singing songs that doesn't fit his voice while also talking with the player during the performance in a completely different voice? I mean it sorta made sense in previous GH and RB games in that everybody is completely mute when not singing so there was no disonance between how they sound off stage and on stage, but here in this "virtual reality simulation" stuff I assume it's gonna completely throw you out of the immersion (I mean if the whole CoD blood splatter and fretboard thing didn't already do that)

Also, this will make it seem even more like you are in fact not a real band but a cruddy cover band won't it?

I keep seeing more and more design flaws with this whole thing with every waking hour
  • of all the things you have to complain about the game and you chose "yeah, they are men and they look heterosexual"...

really? I was never the demographic audience of most of the games I play, and the fact my gender/age/height/weight/hair color/favorite food/nationality/religion isn't the same as the character's gender/age/height/weight/hair color/favorite food/nationality/religion doesn't stop me to have fun.

I am brazilian and few games have brazilian chars (almost none, I can list Street Fighter and Tekken. Max Payne doesn't count because I'm talking about characters only). That upsets me? Yes. That prevents me to play them? No.

GH isn't inciting gender hate or anything, at the most their chose of band is just an annoyance.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    TheStuddz said:

I saw that too especially in the trailer with Band of Skulls, Of Monsters and Men, and Black Keys. Im just concerned about playability and value of investment.
  • IraVirusIraVirus Unsigned
    Obviously, I'm not gonna buy it. But it seems the full motion video performance would get really boring after a few plays.

of all the things you have to complain about the game and you chose "yeah, they are men and they look heterosexual"...

really? I was never the demographic audience of most of the games I play, and the fact my gender/age/height/weight/hair color/favorite food/nationality/religion isn't the same as the character's gender/age/height/weight/hair color/favorite food/nationality/religion doesn't stop me to have fun.

I am brazilian and few games have brazilian chars (almost none, I can list Street Fighter and Tekken. Max Payne doesn't count because I'm talking about characters only). That upsets me? Yes. That prevents me to play them? No.

GH isn't inciting gender hate or anything, at the most their chose of band is just an annoyance.

While that may be true for games where you're playing a specific character with a set story arc and story and such, this is trying to be more of a "guitar player simulator" that depends almost entirely on the player being immersed into this world, that THEY are the one playing these songs, not the characters they're playing as. They're really pushing for the whole "This is YOU playing in front of this REAL crowd. This is who YOU are, a rock god!" thing, and the fact that, at least by inspecting by the way the game is presented and others treat you, you seem to be playing a heteronormative male may turn of female or LGBT players who want to feel like they're them playing in front of this crowd. Of course, I'm not asking for some sort of gay romance sideplot or anything (because honestly that'd be distracting as all hell), I'm just saying that, at least based off of the footage, being treated as a "straight dude" in this game that wants to be open to anyone to "live their rock 'n' roll fantasy" is sort of distracting to people who aren't straight or dudes.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    Yeah, I play these games to be who I want to be. The whole idea of preset characters in this type of game is a turn off in itself. But when they're douchey caricatures like these it's even worse.

Really, the title should be Douche Hero Live.