Guitar Hero Live - New Guitar Hero Game

Comments

• jjdude1jjdude1 Rising Star
    Dang that's cheap! Definitely makes it worth buying if you haven't already. Even if you don't think you'll like it, now is as good a time as any to check it out
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Is the software OK to buy used, are there any 1-use codes in the package that will be worthless on the secondary market? Or is my only concern going to be with the controller (worn out? germy? lol)
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I might bite at $19.99
  • Is the software OK to buy used, are there any 1-use codes in the package that will be worthless on the secondary market? Or is my only concern going to be with the controller (worn out? germy? lol)

Controller quality is the only concern
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Finally went ahead and bought the game and it was certainly interesting to try! I'm sure I'll play it a few more times, but the controller is pretty much junk (misses a ton of notes, even when I'm certain that I hit them), and while the soundtrack is alright and has a few great songs (especially in GHTV), it's fairly uninspired. RB4 is certainly the better game in my opinion, but I'm glad to have played both, if only for curiosity's sake.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    I'll wait until it hits Power Gig: Rise of the Six String price.
  • I'll wait until it hits Power Gig: Rise of the Six String price.

You want them to pay you for playing?
  • So what's the current state of this game ?dead?
  • jjdude1jjdude1 Rising Star
    edited August 2016
    Its alive and has its fans

I would say its about at the same level of dead as Rock Band 4 is honestly, which is to say that its not dead at all but its not necessarily hitting mainstream success either. Just existing and making fans happy

Unfortunately for GH:Live though, Activision is more likely pull the cord on it than Harmonix is, since Activision has plenty of other huge franchises that they don't need GH:Live to exist, as opposed to Harmonix.
  • I need to play it more. I picked it up on sale and actually kind of enjoyed it, but it also takes up about as much space on my HD as RB4+DLC and it's tricky (but enjoyable) to pick up.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    TheStuddz said:

Finally went ahead and bought the game and it was certainly interesting to try! I'm sure I'll play it a few more times, but the controller is pretty much junk (misses a ton of notes, even when I'm certain that I hit them), and while the soundtrack is alright and has a few great songs (especially in GHTV), it's fairly uninspired. RB4 is certainly the better game in my opinion, but I'm glad to have played both, if only for curiosity's sake.

I was considering it back when a the game/guitar bundle dropped to like $40 on Amazon, but at the end of the day, I decided I don't need to learn another way to play plastic guitar.
    jjdude1 said:

I would say its about at the same level of dead as Rock Band 4 is honestly, which is to say that its not dead at all but its not necessarily hitting mainstream success either. Just existing and making fans happy

Unfortunately for GH:Live though, Activision is more likely pull the cord on it than Harmonix is, since Activision has plenty of other huge franchises that they don't need GH:Live to exist, as opposed to Harmonix.

I would say they're in a worse off position than Rock Band. Outside of the massive layoffs and restructuring of microtransactions, look at the stuff they're putting out in GHTV. Sure, Rock Band's moved down to 2 songs a week, but they're typically all big, hit songs. Guitar Hero's doing 3 songs a week, but they're rarely notable songs. It also probably doesn't help the game has such a UK focus on music. People in the US aren't exactly dying to pay Manic Street Preachers or Jake Bugg.
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    Activision lost me at new dumb guitar controller and you don't get to play any of the songs you previously had. Harmonix clearly has far better relationships with customers than Activision.
    That being said I could be tempted to buy GH Live if the price is right.
  • Activision lost me at new dumb guitar controller and you don't get to play any of the songs you previously had. Harmonix clearly has far better relationships with customers than Activision.
    That being said I could be tempted to buy GH Live if the price is right.

I actually like the new guitar controller even if I'm nowhere near mastering it yet. The idea of actual chords intrigues me.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    It still sounds kind of cool, but I'll just play Rocksmith instead.
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior

It still sounds kind of cool, but I'll just play Rocksmith instead.

Seriously. I'd rather play Rocksmith (which I do) for the extra challenge.
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    I'd like to give it a go but the fact you can't own the songs and Activision can shutdown the servers at anytime is a big turn off.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I saw it on clearance at Walmart, but $50 didn't even tempt me. I'm still curious, but obviously not THAT curious. I didn't even try out the demo when I saw it sitting there not being used at the store. If I owned it, I'd play it for long enough to earn a few trophies, and I'd either be hooked by then, or not. And playing the demo wouldn't earn me any trophies. Ha. They really are a big motivating factor in my game play. They got me to buy ALL the instruments for RB3, after all, right? Well, that, and I was legitimately curious to try all of them out. Desperate, even.

If I came home tonight and found a GH Live guitar synced to my PS4 and the game installed, would I play it right then and there? Heck yeah! For up to 3 songs, and then I would have to go back upstairs to start making dinner.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    tdc002 said:

TheStuddz said:

I was considering it back when a the game/guitar bundle dropped to like $40 on Amazon, but at the end of the day, I decided I don't need to learn another way to play plastic guitar.
    jjdude1 said:

People in the US aren't exactly dying to pay Manic Street Preachers or Jake Bugg.
    I don't know MSP, but I've requested Jake Bugg for RB so many times. I love that guy.
    nuttzo31 said:

I'd like to give it a go but the fact you can't own the songs and Activision can shutdown the servers at anytime is a big turn off.

Well, except the disc songs, right? But even then, that's like 30ish songs? Pretty weak game.
  • TheStuddz said:

tdc002 said:

TheStuddz said:

jjdude1 said:

People in the US aren't exactly dying to pay Manic Street Preachers or Jake Bugg.
    I don't know MSP, but I've requested Jake Bugg for RB so many times. I love that guy.
    I really liked the MSP stuff I heard, which primarily consisted of their singles ("A Design for Life," "If You Tolerate This Then Your Children Will Be Next," "You Stole the Sun From My Heart," probably others). Would have been good in RB3, would buy them in RB4.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    I would buy the s*** out of some Manic Street Preachers.
    If anyone's curious about the game, the game/guitar bundle just dropped to $17.99 for the iOS tablet version on Amazon.

Are they still manufacturing this game? Amazon seems to be sold out on a lot of consoles and only seems to sell it through third party sellers.
  • Back in August this was found on a retailer site so maybe GH Live is getting a relaunch on 10th November.

If that retailer is not accurate, maybe GH Live is being abandoned due to not selling well enough.
  • On Amazon it's gone directly from "sale price of $49.99" (still not tempting for me) to being unavailable and priced as a rare collectible (more than $49.99). They made SO MANY units that I'm surprised and impressed that it never got down to "please take this game from us, it's clogging up our shelves" prices, and it's beginning to appear it never will. Or not until they officially announce a date that the servers are closing down, anyway [like what happened with Disney Infinity].
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited September 2016
    Activision must be buying them all back to change the boxes.
  • To rename it Guitar Hero Live: Smooth vs Chunky edition?
  • To rename it Guitar Hero Live: Smooth vs Chunky edition?

I thought they'd be more likely renaming it, "Guitar Hero: Why Even Bother Edition"?

On Amazon it's gone directly from "sale price of $49.99" (still not tempting for me) to being unavailable and priced as a rare collectible (more than $49.99). They made SO MANY units that I'm surprised and impressed that it never got down to "please take this game from us, it's clogging up our shelves" prices, and it's beginning to appear it never will. Or not until they officially announce a date that the servers are closing down, anyway [like what happened with Disney Infinity].

At one point, it dropped down to like $31.99 on Xbox One (so basically a third of the price). I was waiting for it to get juuuust under $30, but that never happened. Then, like you said, stock started getting thin and suddenly it was worth something again.

Back in August this was found on a retailer site so maybe GH Live is getting a relaunch on 10th November.

If that retailer is not accurate, maybe GH Live is being abandoned due to not selling well enough.

With even more music videos no one wants? Judging by the name, I'd guess it's going to be focused on more pop stuff.

I can understand them dropping the live part of Guitar Hero Live. The whole focus on the original ad campaign of GHL was the whole first person POV, playing in front of a live audience. But then they went on to add ZERO songs to that mode. From day one Live Mode was vastly outnumbered by GHTV.

So since the game has tanked, it's safe to assume they don't want to spend money making even more Live Mode songs for a sequel/update, so it makes sense they'd drop Live from the name, if that's actually what's happening.
  • Did this game even sell well enough to relaunch it? Seems like a waste of resources on their part...
    Harmonix at least is a mostly music genre developer... Activision doesn't need Guitar Hero.. and the only way they'd get me to buy one of their "new" games is if they went back to their old style and I could use my old instruments.
  • I'll tell you what, if i'm having a supreme party, new Guitar Hero ain't invited.