Song Requests seem to be DONE.

As per The Band Perry, Harmonix has apparently chosen to sunset DLCs and song requests for DFME. This is Sad But Possibly True(TM), making me want to cry in the corner of my bedroom. I think they chose to be obsessed with RB4. What could have been, what could have made them more money, but wasn't.

*continues to sob in the corner of his bedroom. SAD.*

Comments

• Harmonix is a smaller studio nowadays. I suspect you're right in that most of its resources have been allocated to getting Rock Band 4 ready.

Don't think Fantasia was that big of a moneymaker to begin with, tho'. If it had been, more DLC would continue to be released.
  • @brookfieldworldorder: Apps are nothing without content. They (IIRC) make money off of DLC. There was a choice -- for them to make more DLC or sunset the whole thing.

More DFME DLC would have been profitable, but not nearly as profitable as launching RB4 (I think -- if RB4 flops, I hope nobody blames me!).

Of course, if RB4 does flop, they can always take back their "no current plans for new DFME DLC" statement and return to making more stuff for (and money off of) DFME. XD
  • SwordofWhedonSwordofWhedon Opening Act
    edited May 2015
    I don't think DFME was profitable, nor were DLC profitable. It sold very poorly, which has nothing to do with the excellent quality of the game. The death of Kinect, and the virtually zero promotion would be what did it. The same reason why bunches of Dance Central DLC hasn't been ported to the One yet
  • Apps are nothing without content. They (IIRC) make money off of DLC. There was a choice -- for them to make more DLC or sunset the whole thing.

Agreed - and that choice is usually one based on profit/loss. I think it's safe to assume the cost to generate such content overshadowed the benefit gained by having enough people pay for it to justify the cost to make it.

More DFME DLC would have been profitable, but not nearly as profitable as launching RB4 (I think -- if RB4 flops, I hope nobody blames me!).

Also agreed. I don't think anyone will blame you. Your support for the game is to be commended. I, too, have enjoyed playing Fantasia.

Of course, if RB4 does flop, they can always take back their "no current plans for new DFME DLC" statement and return to making more stuff for (and money off of) DFME. XD

Certainly a possibility.

• Thinking back to my days volunteering at a former competitor (now partner) of HMX, I'm realizing that one of the problems with DFME was inadequate marketing (unlike the product I volunteered with, which lasted 7 years through viral street team marketing). Sad.

I guess HMX's marketing team was down for the count at the time DFME came out. DFME is, to me, a perfect combination of kinesthetics and ease of play, something you don't see in DC or RB, both of which require a lot more skill. DC is also less addictive due to the fatigue factor.

Of course, I have some bias, having taken the #1 score spot on multiple DFME songs and only being able to hit rank #10,000 at best on DC. XD
  • I personally think the game should be a free digital download or very cheap then make $$$ from song purchases