Most underrated guitarist of all time.

Rush_FanRush_Fan Unsigned
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
The most underrated guitarist of all time, for me is a guy who goes by the name of Alex Lifeson(Rush)

What are your guys' thoughts?

Comments

• NX013NX013 Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    Brian May - He built his own guitar at age 13, before EVH did. Has the most incredible and recognizible tone of all time. And was one of the first person to do tapping.

Steve Hackett - He influenced Alex Liefson and Brian May to use harmonies in their music. He also was pretty much the first rock guitarist to use both sweep picking and tapping in one epic song. Dancing with the moonlit knight.

Robert Fripp - He is able to get that mechanical sound from his guitar, that he made seem natural. Just listen to David Bowie's Heroes album. He also operates his own school and brought about the idea of the New Standard Tuning.

Mick Ronson - An amazing producer who supported Bowie through his early years. He also has a powerful tone.
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    Not changing my vote -- still goes to Mick. Lots of other good ones on the list, too. But I thought y'all might be interested in the guy Clapton says is the most underappreciated and perhaps most advanced musician on the planet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Landreth, excellent writeup).

I posted this Crossroads performance on another thread, but it didn't get much takeup, so I think I'm safe posting it again:

Enjoy, Fogey
  • Citizen-InsaneCitizen-Insane Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Eddie Hazel.
    Maggot Brain is just brilliant, as are many of his Funkadelic solos. He's been getting some love from the music journalism community recently, but I still don't hear his name thrown around very much. I guess not many people would think a guitarist in a relatively obscure funk rock band would be one of the greats.
  • Tender-SurrenderTender-Surrender Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    I don't know if this next guy is under rated or under appreciated or w/e, but when people bring up best guitarists, he is never mentioned.

Please Enjoy Tony Macalpine-

He is a wonderful musician!
  • SheratonIISheratonII Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Mark Knopfler. No question.
    The face that every time I tell someone about Dire Straits, they think its some kind of emo band is sad. Knopfler is a British left handed guitarist. He learned to play right handed, hence his immense skill of playing the guitar without a pick. He singlehandedly wrote nearly every song for his band, with extremely little help from anyone. His lyrics are inspirational and meaningful. He is also an excellent singer, and manages to sing even while playing, by that I mean he doesnt even sing in between his own guitar lines, he could sing while soloing for crying out loud. He still produces excellent solo work, and I can't believe more people dont know him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQoZmYUuvXw

If dont watch the whole song, skip to 8:30 or even 9:30.
  • NX013NX013 Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    I knew I forgot someone, yea Mark Knopfler is one of the most underrated guitarists of nthe 80s, mostly because of Dire Straits look and because the bands most famous songs(So Far Away and Walk of Life) are more keyboard oriented. Money for nothing and Sultans of Swing are key songs showing his tone and fingerpicking. I was watching something about Arena Rock and Dire Straits was mentioned, Mark Knopfler said that the way he got the sound for Money for Nothing was by finger picking it.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited January 2008
    Guitarists from Thin Lizzy.
    edited January 2008
    There are some great guitarists in this thread -- some of my favorites, like Zappa, Knopfler, Gary Moore (Thin Lizzy). But, I would still say Mick. Some things to consider:

[LIST=1]
    [*]If Taylor is mentioned at all these days it's as the dumb f**k who quit the Stones
    [*]When you mention British guitarists coming out of the 60's, the three guys from the Yardbirds are the first to come up, then maybe Townsend. Mick is almost never mentioned, but he is easily the equal of any of those guys.
    [*]What would the history of rock music be like if Taylor hadn't joined the Stones. Look at the Stones before and after: how do the Stones rank in rock history if Let It Bleed were followed by Tattoo You instead of Sticky Fingers?
    [/LIST]

What great guitar player got reviews like this one from Jon Landau in Rolling Stone (about "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"): "For old times sake I do hope that the really boring guitar solo is by Mick Taylor and that those great surging chords in the background are by Keith Richards, the original Sixties rock and roll guitarist, and mast[er] of Chuck Berry music, and the soul of the Rolling Stones." :eek:

That really boring solo is one of my favorites, a model of the "less is more" school of playing.

And here's what Jagger had to say about Taylor: "His solos are models of economy, sophistication and tension. Of all the classic guitarists that came out of the British pop scene, he remains the most underrated, the most subtle, and the most elusive. This album, even with its faults, wears better than any of, say, Jeff Beck's works, from the same period. And I like Beck a lot. Taylor, though, you can get lost in for years."
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited January 2008
  • m00pm00p Banned
    edited January 2008
    Bob Dylan, George Harrison. George Harrison is at least top 10.
  • MrMan5217MrMan5217 Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Lifeson, Buck Dharma and Frank Zappa are all great guitarists who don't really get their due. Michael Romeo of Symphony X is my current fave...and they barely register a blip.
  • mchodge13mchodge13 Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    Tim Reynolds, this guy isnt so much underrated as he is unknown. I posted a link before about him, if you don't know who he is look him up or let me know and I'll re-post the link
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    OldFogey;286975 said:
    [*]If Taylor is mentioned at all these days it's as the dumb f**k who quit the Stones
    ."

LMAO!

And cheers to whoever it was that mentioned Tony Macalpine and Knopfler!!

And Fogey since you're such a diehard Mick Taylor fan I would be remiss to not mention this link for you just in case you don't have this in your music collection. One of the greatest bootlegs ever right off the soundboard.

I belive an aquaintance of mine from another board sums it best in his description:"This famous soundboard recording with excellent sound (it sounds like an official album), has also been released under the title "Brussels Affair" and other titles. It was recorded live in their 1973 tour and it's beyond amazing. I've owned since I was a kid and I still listen to it very often as I've never gotten tired of it. It's better than the Stones' official live albums, IMO. The whole band was on fire: they sounded raw, agressive, full of energy and tight as f**k. A real rock and roll machine with Mick Taylor providing some of the best lead guitar playing I've ever heard with a killer Gibson tone that sounds almost exactly like the kind of tone that would make Slash famous 15 years later. "

Download and enjoy! It's a .rar file so you may need to download a player for it but it's worth the effort trust me:cool: Artwork is included in the download. Here's the track listing

Disc 1
    01 Brown Sugar (*)
    02 Happy (**)
    03 Gimme Shelter (**)
    04 Tumbling Dice (*)
    05 Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (**)
    06 You Can't Always Get What YOu Want (*)
    07 Dancing With Mr.D. (*)
    08 Angie (*)

Disc 2
    01 Honky Tonk Women (*)
    02 Midnight Rambler (*)
    03 All Down The Line (#)
    04 Bye Bye Johnny (#)
    05 Love In Vain (#)
    06 Sweet Virginia (#)
    07 Rip This Joint (*)
    08 Jumpin' Jack Flash (*)
    09 Street Fighting Man (**)

(*) Brussels, Forest Nationale, Oct. 17, 1973 (1st show)
    (**) London, Wembley Empire Pool, Sep. 9, 1973
    (#) NYC, Madison Square Garden, July 26, 1972

http://stonestocry.blogspot.com/2007/07/rolling-stones-nasty-music.html

Once downloaded you will be asked for a password to access the files, Password: stonestocry.blogspot.com
  • brandion77brandion77 Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Lifeson gets overshadowed by the other two, though they are all brilliant, no doubt.
    However, go watch Lindsey Buckingham doing acoustic solos of "Big Love" and "Go Insane" from The Dance reunion he did with FM. Also, for electric, watch him do "So Afraid" live. I would love to hear some feedback.
    edited January 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;287018 said:
    Gary Richrath.
    REO Speedwagon has its day!! Way to pull 'em out a hat, Rockbandfan! :)
    edited January 2008
    AxlVanHagar;287397 said:
    LMAO!

And cheers to whoever it was that mentioned Tony Macalpine and Knopfler!!

And Fogey since you're such a diehard Mick Taylor fan I would be remiss to not mention this link for you just in case you don't have this in your music collection. One of the greatest bootlegs ever right off the soundboard.

http://stonestocry.blogspot.com/2007/07/rolling-stones-nasty-music.html

Once downloaded you will be asked for a password to access the files, Password: stonestocry.blogspot.com
    Mille grazie!!
    edited January 2008
    THANK YOU!!!!!

You're the first person here who even knows the straits. Money for nothing sounds MUCH better fingerpicked, I learned to play it on real guitar that way because there's no comparison.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    OldFogey;287546 said:
    Molte grazie!!

No worries mate, let me know how ya like it!:D
  • TemjinStrifeTemjinStrife Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Nuno Bettencourt. We all know "Play With Me" from GH: 80s... and I'm really jonesing for "Get the Funk Out" to make it into Rock Band, although the tapping solo would be quite difficult.

Also, I agree on the Mark Knopfler bit. His Dire Straits stuff is amazing, his solo stuff less so, but he doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves.
    edited January 2008
    At least one of their songs should've been in GH already. Like replace Institutionalized with Sultans of Swing. That was one of the worst songs I've ever heard when I played it on GH II.
  • GianthogweedGianthogweed Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    Jan Akkerman from Focus. He was doing things on a guitar that no one had seen before, yet very few people remember him. Steve Vai and Van Halen stole a lot of tricks from him, I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpV5InLw52U

What a fun song that would be to play on Rock Band.
  • BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    OldFogey;283333 said:
    I think we all know what BehindBlueEyes is going to say... (sorry couldn't help myself. BAD BOY!)

Alex is a good choice.

For me -- Mick Taylor. Like Alex -- not a flash guy. He just made every song he played on better. Example: compare Country Honk from Let it Bleed to the single version of Honky Tonk Woman. The difference -- all that classic guitar stuff was Mick. He didn't have to even play a solo to make the song memorable. His solos were tasteful. They built as if they were pre-composed (they weren't, they were improvised.) Mick was pretty unique in his slide playing in that he played everything in standard tuning, which makes it much harder.

BTW, one reason Mick left the Stones was because he didn't get writing credit for a lot of the stuff he did.

The flash guys may get all the hype, but the great ones put the music first.
    Don't be a dick but i gotta agree with you Mick taylor was defintaly underated. his silde work on No expectations and love in vain is amazing. but its sometimes hard to tell who is playing mick or kef

Yea i would say Pete townsend is increably underated and dosen't get the credit for his guitar work he deserves. I also think that Mick jones from the clash is increably underated. Listen to the solo in white riot or english civil war even his work in tommy gun. he makes it so melodic and perfect completely diffrent from the normal Punk songs.

As for overated guitarists i would have to say Page, Clapton, and Kurt cobain

My favorite guitarists Santana, Townsend, Duane allman
  • optimusprimooptimusprimo Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    m00p;287122 said:
    Bob Dylan, George Harrison. George Harrison is at least top 10.
    hahahahaha bob dylan? he was a great song writer and had a unique voice but was not considered a very good guitarist.
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;289953 said:

As for overated guitarists i would have to say Page, Clapton, and Kurt cobain
    But Kurt Cobain played power cords so well!
  • JMcQ77JMcQ77 Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    I echo those who have mentioned Mark Knopfler. If you want to hear a great album, check out Dire Straits "Live at the BBC (1978-81)." Truly awesome. And for a master clinic on being both clean and funky, check out "Southbound Again" (Dire Straits) or for tone, check out "Brothers in Arms" (Brothers in Arms).

Other guitarists I would add to the discussion:

1) Johnny Marr - (The Smiths, Modest Mouse)
    2) Brian Setzer - (Stray Cats, Brian Setzer Orchestra)
    3) Billy Gibbons - (ZZ Top)
  • trivium956trivium956 Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Rush_Fan;283294 said:
    The most underrated guitarist of all time, for me is a guy who goes by the name of Alex Lifeson(Rush)

What are your guys' thoughts?
    I guess man but Dimebag Darrell is the best and you know it.
  • xfactorstlxfactorstl Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Travis Stever & Claudio Sanchez of coheed and cambria
  • justinautryjustinautry Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    i have to go for the guitarist in linkin park..he doesnt have solos really because he tries to make his guitar blend into the band as much as possible it creates a really cool sound
  • The_Little_BusterThe_Little_Buster Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Definites for me would be Mick Ronson, George Harrison, J. Mascis, and John 5 (John's not underrated but I feel he's just under-appreciated a bit)
  • fighting69thfighting69th Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    Mike Scaccia-Rigor Mortis: No one faster or cleaner, I mean just a different sound coming from that guy. Check their self titled from 1988. Classic thrash.

Piggy-Voivod: Wow what an original. Odd tunings and chords, progressive style but fun and not too technical.

Chuck Schuldner-Death: Put a technical touch on death metal. A true professor of guitar, beyond his time in that genre.