Spanish Castle Magic in GH1...

edited July 2007 in History of Rock
So I meant to ask this earlier, but what was the reason for removing the lyrics from that song?

Comments

• BeckRokkBeckRokk Opening Act
    edited May 2007
    I think it's that there was an issue with paying royalties. Hendrix' estate didn't want to allow someone to sing in his place, and so the lyrics were removed for the sake of cost on Harmonix' part. Funny thing is that SCM was sometimes performed without lyrics, so it ultimately worked out.
  • GNR962GNR962 Unsigned
    edited May 2007
    BeckRokk;1747 said:
    I think it's that there was an issue with paying royalties. Hendrix' estate didn't want to allow someone to sing in his place, and so the lyrics were removed for the sake of cost on Harmonix' part. Funny thing is that SCM was sometimes performed without lyrics, so it ultimately worked out.
    I don't get it, why wouldn't they want someone to sing(I mean, noone would be able to imitate Hendrix, but when you think about it, noone really can) I just don't understand. It may just be the fact that I am only 14 and I don't know much about business or anything in that area. That may just be it.
  • edited May 2007
    When I think about it I dont think I would bother to hear anyone try to sound like jimi hendrix. It'd be a sacralige.
  • benjaminbenjamin Opening Act
    edited May 2007
    It would hardly be sacrilige, no musician is so high up. No one is that high up.
  • edited May 2007
  • benjaminbenjamin Opening Act
    edited May 2007
    Then that was a joke that did not get across at all. No offense to you but sarcasm does not transfer well over the internet. Couple that with the fact that many people do view Hendrix as a God and you get a loss of information.
  • GenocideFaceGenocideFace Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    Did You Ever Happen To Notice That If You Go Onto the Original GH website they have spanish castle magic with the lyrics. It could be possibly due to copyright or legal issues, or due to the difficulty of emulating Hendrix's voice. It has also been speculated that the Hendrix estate was displeased with the vocals recorded for the game and wished for them to be removed.
  • Dark_Raven_XDark_Raven_X Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, the story goes that the estate said the cover singer was too much like Jimi. So Harmonix took another go, made it less like him, and this time the estate said it was too different. So they just said screw it and gave up on the vocals.
  • BlackHoleBlackHole Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    They didn't want the cover singer to mess up.
  • PDMChubbyPDMChubby Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    benjamin;2319 said:
    Then that was a joke that did not get across at all. No offense to you but sarcasm does not transfer well over the internet. Couple that with the fact that many people do view Hendrix as a God and you get a loss of information.
    ...I understood the joke perfectly.