Herman Li is Cool.

Comments

• JB4GDIJB4GDI Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    Raider87;30772 said:

Herman Ri is soo cool
    but seriously check out the real version of them on betcha Can't Play This... it's aweful
    I dub this one lame. Someone has to find the parody where he does hammer-ons on the guitar with a real hammer.

-Jaime
  • DokkenIsntRockinDokkenIsntRockin Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    Herman Li's guitar playing was one of the main selling points of Dragonforce for a buddy of mine who tried unsuccessfully to get me into them. all I could do was shake my head and say "yeah, Zakk Wylde is a much better player from a technical stand point and his solo's are more well thought out, as are his lyrics" and my friend couldnt even argue it.

one complaint about Zakk is the over use of pinch harmonics and the fact that he sounds so technical its almost robotic. but the fact that hes leeps and bounds better than Heman Li still stands.
  • TheRockerTheRocker Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Haha Freaking Hilarious
  • edited August 2007
    both of those are fake, but there IS a real one of them (Without the stupid overdubbing) where it really does sound like ass, it's quite funny
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    What's with all the hate? I don't see any of you posting videos of your shi*ty playing.
  • SaltinesSaltines Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    Its just because they think they are godly, but really.. are mediocre at best.
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    DokkenIsntRockin;30844 said:
    Herman Li's guitar playing was one of the main selling points of Dragonforce for a buddy of mine who tried unsuccessfully to get me into them. all I could do was shake my head and say "yeah, Zakk Wylde is a much better player from a technical stand point and his solo's are more well thought out, as are his lyrics" and my friend couldnt even argue it.

one complaint about Zakk is the over use of pinch harmonics and the fact that he sounds so technical its almost robotic. but the fact that hes leeps and bounds better than Heman Li still stands.
    ZAKK IS GOD!!

edited August 2007
    JB4GDI;30830 said:
    I dub this one lame. Someone has to find the parody where he does hammer-ons on the guitar with a real hammer.

-Jaime

Sorry for the DP.
  • GARahnGARahn Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    I rofl'd at the Mario sounds that Herman Ri made... Funny ****.
    edited August 2007
    Saltines;30942 said:
    Its just because they think they are godly, but really.. are mediocre at best.
    They think they are godly? And you're the Simon fuc*king Cowell of guitar? Post a video of you playing something then if it's so "mediocre" so I can make fun of you.
    edited August 2007
    whoa, newwaytodie is apparently married to every member of Dragonforce.

Dragonforce are mediocre and 99.9 percent of their songs are a joke. why are you stroking this guy so hard when there are a billion other guitar players who can play circles around him. and I'm not talking about speed because that really isnt an impressive display of your skill being able to play something fast, putting emotion in your playing is far more impressive to me and countless others. there are alot of blues guitarists who would make Herman Li look like a hack while playing a quarter of the notes he does.

I dont know where this stupid "speed = talent" way of thinking came from but anyone can play fast as hell despite not knowing what exactly it is they're playing. all you need to do is play his guitar part slowly and progressively speed it up until you can play it as fast as he does, anyone can do it within hours, doesnt mean they're guitar gods.
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    i remember a little while back herman and sam were interviewed on mtv2 headbangers ball. herman li was asked how long it takes to come up with a solo and he said "overnight". that's exactly it, he doesn't put **** into what he plays he just plays random notes really fast.
    edited August 2007
    yeah, he plays like Kerry King (not a good thing).

I can honestly say that Slash is a much, much better guitarist than Herman Li. you think Herman Li would ever come up with anything like the two solo's from Novemeber Rain? hell no because he most likely cant.
    edited August 2007
    newwaytodie;30971 said:
    They think they are godly? And you're the Simon fuc*king Cowell of guitar? Post a video of you playing something then if it's so "mediocre" so I can make fun of you.
    Now, I don't recall saying that I was in anyway "AMAZING UBER AWSUMES" At guitar, I know that.
    What bugs me about Herman LI and that Totam guy is that, they think they are amazing, better than anything else out there. But alot of their stuff isn't too hard for other guitarists to do, I lol'd so many times at their real betcha cant play this video. Especially totams "tapping"

And like Rev0lver said if he comes up with solos overnight, then all he is probably doing is playing scales, mashing notes together and then goes and plays it fast and calls it a solo. Sure, I couldn't play it but, it's not very impressive either.
    edited August 2007
    I finger tap on an electric bass, so yeah, I didnt find that tapping to be spectacular either because the tapping I do is way the **** harder then it is on guitar strings and that was his result. ha ha. sweet.

Dragonforce sucks, no two ways about it.
  • battle_axe_of_doombattle_axe_of_doom Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    ^ dragonforce along with the rest of the power metal genre are disgraces to the music world
  • edited August 2007
    oh lordy. if all you are going to do is spread your distaste for a particular genre then just don't come in certain posts at all, please.
    edited August 2007
    well powermetal is the topic of this thread so wut should i talk about then?? how kewl porcupine tree and radiohead are in a power metal/dragonforce thread??
  • edited August 2007
    I met Herman Li at G3 '07 in Los Angeles. Seemed like a pretty nice guy. Definitely not a very great guitar player, but at least its clear he has excellent taste if he was at G3.
    edited August 2007
    was he just there or was he actually in the g3 lineup :\
  • The_WurmThe_Wurm Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    I don't understand this widespread hatred against the guitarists of dragonforce, really i don't.

Just to clear things up, I am by no means a fan of dragon force, but i think everyone is being a bit harsh on these guys. I agree with a lot you when you say that **insert legendary guitarist** is way better than Herman Li or Sam Boozehound, but I think you guys are being a little mean by calling them 'mediocre'.

I also agree that there music is cheesy, really cheesy, and shouldn't be taken seriously, but they know that their music is absolute cheese and don't really take themselves seriously.(Have you seen one of their music videos?, they have a guitar battle via videogames!)

wow, i can't believe i just typed more than a paragraph in order to somewut protect some dudes I don't even care about. screw it
  • fragpiratefragpirate Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    omg, i found that eons ago.
    at least five months ago.
    you are sooooo late.
    edited August 2007
    fragpirate;31407 said:
    omg, i found that eons ago.
    at least five months ago.
    you are sooooo late.
    I saw it quite awhile ago as well, but it's still funny.
  • fragpiratefragpirate Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    lil bit, the only part i actually laugh at is the end.
  • edited August 2007
    The_Wurm;31306 said:
    I don't understand this widespread hatred against the guitarists of dragonforce, really i don't.

Just to clear things up, I am by no means a fan of dragon force, but i think everyone is being a bit harsh on these guys. I agree with a lot you when you say that **insert legendary guitarist** is way better than Herman Li or Sam Boozehound, but I think you guys are being a little mean by calling them 'mediocre'.

I also agree that there music is cheesy, really cheesy, and shouldn't be taken seriously, but they know that their music is absolute cheese and don't really take themselves seriously.(Have you seen one of their music videos?, they have a guitar battle via videogames!)

wow, i can't believe i just typed more than a paragraph in order to somewut protect some dudes I don't even care about. screw it
    I think my biggest issue with DragonForce is the heavy, heavy overdubbing that they do. The things you hear on the CD are simply not performable live. Overdubbing is acceptable sometimes when technical ability isnt a focus of the music or in cases where a second guitarist is unavailable for the recording. Overdubbing is fine then. But in cases like DragonForce where half the selling point if the technical ability of the artists, overdubbing records just leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. When you see other artists like Dream Theater live, what is on the CD is what is being performed live. There are no backing tapes or other guitarists. It just seems like an immense cop-out to use heavy overdubbing in this genre of music.
  • edited August 2007
    battle_axe_of_doom;31282 said:
    was he just there or was he actually in the g3 lineup :\
    no he was just there. if herman li was actually in the G3 lineup my respect for joe satriani would plummet immensely. the line-up was Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, and Paul Gilbert. I went mostly for Petrucci, as did seemingly most of the people there. Gilbert got a sort of lukewarm reception at first because he isn't too well known, but the crowd started to love him more and more with every song. But Petrucci just stepped out onto the stage and the entire crowd went wild for a good five minutes. Even Petrucci himself was stunned at the fantastic reaction from the crowd.
  • edited August 2007
    heh I love people who seem to think you can only make negative comments about something if you have first-hand talent at a better level of what you're critiquing. Seems to be a popular fallback argument in the music world I've noticed; not as many people saying the same when it comes to bad movies or bad tv shows ("hey, have you ever made a better movie than The Covenent? Oh, didn't think smart guy!")

Besides, even if the theory did hold up, in turn shouldn't it mean that you also can't have a positive opinion of DragonForce unless you can play as well as Herman Li?

(For the record, I don't mind them here and there.. but the songs all start to sound the same after a short while)
  • The_WurmThe_Wurm Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Eissian;31416 said:
    I think my biggest issue with DragonForce is the heavy, heavy overdubbing that they do. The things you hear on the CD are simply not performable live. Overdubbing is acceptable sometimes when technical ability isnt a focus of the music or in cases where a second guitarist is unavailable for the recording. Overdubbing is fine then. But in cases like DragonForce where half the selling point if the technical ability of the artists, overdubbing records just leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. When you see other artists like Dream Theater live, what is on the CD is what is being performed live. There are no backing tapes or other guitarists. It just seems like an immense cop-out to use heavy overdubbing in this genre of music.
    ahh, i see whast you're saying. That is pretty lame.
    edited August 2007
    If you're going to be a dick and make fun of people, then you deserve to be made fun of as well. Clearly your opinion doesn't mean **** anyway because dragonforce are selling tons of records and laughing at lame ass psuedo-critics like you.
    edited August 2007
    newwaytodie;31742 said:
    If you're going to be a dick and make fun of people, then you deserve to be made fun of as well. Clearly your opinion doesn't mean **** anyway because dragonforce are selling tons of records and laughing at lame ass psuedo-critics like you.
    And we feel so, so sorry that we ever made fun of these guys just because of what you said, thank you for showing me the truth!!!

I guess Fall Out Boy is also laughing at us. Man, don't I just feel terrible now.
    Sorry buddy, I don't really care if these tools are laughing at me or others, and I'm quite sure they don't care what we think about them. Mostly because, yes they do sell lots of albums. I'm not even so sure that they would bring an argument like this to the people who dislike them. It's all a matter of opinion, and fact as well. WE don't like them, thats pretty much the whole story. If we choose to discuss such matters then we will. One person saying that our opinions don't matter isn't going to change how any of us feel.

And plus, I'm Simon Fu**ing Cowell of guitar, you said it yourself :)