USB-XLR adapters that work in RB4 (and which consoles they work for)

LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
edited August 2016 in Rock Band
So this was a topic that came up way back in the original RB games, but since we have new platforms now I figure it's a good idea to revive this now.

Basically, we know that virtually all USB microphones will work in Rock Band. However, there were issues with some of the adapters people use to hook up professional microphones to Rock Band. For example, I tried hooking up my Blue Icicle to my Xbox One today and found to my chagrin that, like in the previous generation, it doesn't work on my Xbox copy of Rock Band. However, I do understand it worked on the PlayStation 3; does it work in the PlayStation 4? I'm not quite ready to spend money on another digital copy to find out, but maybe one of you guys are or already have the setup.

Thus, let's start the list with adapters I know about (a very short list, at that)! Anyone who can contribute to the list is greatly appreciated!

Blue Icicle: XBO: NO; PS4:Yes
Alesis MicLink: XBO: NO; PS4:Yes
Lightsnake STUSBXLR10: XBO: Yes (with caveats); PS4: Yes
Art USB Dual Tube Pre: XBO: ??? PS4: Yes (single channel)
BandFuse/Rocksmith cables + 1/4"-XLR adapter: XBO: Yes (with caveats); PS4: Yes to BandFuse, No to Rocksmith
Shure X2U: XBO: No (apparently?); PS4: Yes
Samson Q2U: XBO: NO; PS4: ???

Comments

• joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    Blue icicle sounds amazing.
    How much does one run? I'd be tempted to get one and try it on PS4 just cause and then hope it later works on the X1.
  • About $50 if memory serves.
    edited October 2015
    LoopyChew said:

About $50 if memory serves.

That's really not that much. The RB4 mic is $29.99 in comparison.

Okay, I'll consider it and hopefully we can obtain more helpful comments moving forward.
  • For reference, I've bought a Lightsnake which will get here in a couple of weeks. Maybe faster than my RB4 gear.
  • The singstar adapter does not work (which I think may or may not have already been confirmed). I am currently using a Blockhead adapter with my singstar mics paired with 6.35mm jack adapters. :)
  • Art USB Dual Tube Pre works on the PS4, but only as a single channel.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    hmmm... i wonder if i put a 1/4"-to-XLR adapter on the end of a Rocksmith or BandFuse cable and plug it into a mic, if that would work? unfortunately i think the only adapters i have are XLR-to-1/4", not the other way around. maybe i'll pick up a cheap adapter and give it a try.
  • I'm not familiar with these Rocksmith or BandFuse cables. Female 1/4" TS to USB A? As long as you're using a dynamic mic and the 1/4" TS adapter shorts pin 3 (cold) to Sleeve you should be fine.
  • nineisminenineismine Opening Act
    This works on ps4

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OXLNMG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also in my amazon order history I have the blue icicle. Mine looks nothing like the picture though. .. but it works.
  • edited October 2015
    Shure X2u is good on the PS4. Also works at the same time as the Art. The X2u is a little expensive compared to the Blue Icicle at $100, but you get headphone monitoring. Very rugged as well. I don't mind throwing it in the mic bag to take to friends'. It also comes in a bundle with an SM58 for $200!

Loopychew, How is the durability of the Icicle?

Not surprisingly, the Roland Duo-Capture EX does not work. It uses some special low latency drivers in Windows. As it's not really a mic adapter, I don't think it deserves a space on the main list.

I can also confirm that the SingStar adapter does not work. It appears that only devices recognized by the PS4 system can be used.
    LoopyChew said:

For reference, I've bought a Lightsnake which will get here in a couple of weeks. Maybe faster than my RB4 gear.

Interested to see if you have success with this.
  • tnevaker said:

hmmm... i wonder if i put a 1/4"-to-XLR adapter on the end of a Rocksmith or BandFuse cable and plug it into a mic, if that would work? unfortunately i think the only adapters i have are XLR-to-1/4", not the other way around. maybe i'll pick up a cheap adapter and give it a try.

This is how I used my Shure SM58 in Rock Band 3. I had USB-1/4" BandFuse cable, a 1/4"coupler, and an XLR-1/4" cable running to the mic. Worked like a charm, as the game always sees Rocksmith/BandFuse cables as microphones.

Have yet to try with RB4, but I will do that and post back.

• Update: BandFuse 1/4" cable works just as well as it did in Rock Band 3! (Tried it on Xbone, not sure about PS4)
  • I can confirm that the Alesis Miclink does not work on Xbox One unfortunately.
  • Using the Audio Technica ATR2100 microphone plugged into the Rocksmith cable via XLR to 1/4 adapter works (Xbox One), but has very low volume (but still louder than in RB3 on Xbox 360). Plugging the same mic into the adapter via the mic's 3.5mm monitor output and into a 3.5mm to 1/4 adapter, works with very good volume, but seems to have quite a bit of lag compared to using the XLR output. I'm going to get a Bandfuse cable and try it too, since I've read that it produces higher volumes, (hopefully it doesn't have too much lag).
  • Using the Audio Technica ATR2100 microphone plugged into the Rocksmith cable via XLR to 1/4 adapter works (Xbox One), but has very low volume (but still louder than in RB3 on Xbox 360).

Is the 1/4" TS or TRS? Can you verify if it connects pin 3 on the XLR to Sleeve?
  • I had to look up TS and TRS, lol! I think that the Rocksmith cable is TS and the XLR to 1/4 adapter is TRS? (It's a balanced stereo adapter). It uses all 3 of the pins.
  • edited October 2015
    Because the microphone has a balanced output but the Rocksmith adapter is unbalanced, TRS is not going to work very well at all. You need an XLR to 1/4" TS adapter which converts balanced to unbalanced, which is easiest by shorting pin 3 to ground:
    XLR pin 1 (ground) to Sleeve
    XLR pin 2 (hot) to Tip
    XLR pin 3 (cold) to Sleeve

• edited October 2015
    @LoopyChew The Art Dual Pre only half works on the PS4. It's two channels, but only one is picked up by the game.
  • Wonder if a USB recording interface device, like a Focusrite, would work?
  • Got my Bandfuse cable today, and it works great. The volume is way louder than using the Rocksmith cable. (XB1)
  • ZigZag2005ZigZag2005 Road Warrior
    edited October 2015

Wonder if a USB recording interface device, like a Focusrite, would work?

My Focusrite was not recognized on the Bone. I have not yet tried it on the PS4.
  • Wonder if a USB recording interface device, like a Focusrite, would work?

My Roland Duo Capture EX did not work on the PS4. I suspect it's because it uses ASIO and WDM drivers -- it doesn't show up as a basic USB audio interface.
    kebernet said:
    That's pretty sweet!
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior

Using the Audio Technica ATR2100 microphone plugged into the Rocksmith cable via XLR to 1/4 adapter works (Xbox One), but has very low volume (but still louder than in RB3 on Xbox 360). Plugging the same mic into the adapter via the mic's 3.5mm monitor output and into a 3.5mm to 1/4 adapter, works with very good volume, but seems to have quite a bit of lag compared to using the XLR output. I'm going to get a Bandfuse cable and try it too, since I've read that it produces higher volumes, (hopefully it doesn't have too much lag).

i'm on PS4, the Rocksmith cable did not work for me (PS4 did not recognize it as a microphone) but the BandFuse cable does. i also used a Lightsnake cable and that works well too.
  • I don't know if this count but I have the Xbox mic with the controller on it. And it works on the ps4

LoopyChew said:

About $50 if memory serves.

That's really not that much. The RB4 mic is $29.99 in comparison.

Okay, I'll consider it and hopefully we can obtain more helpful comments moving forward.
    Also note you can buy cheapie XLR mics on amazon for 14 - 20 bucks!
    LoopyChew said:

So this was a topic that came up way back in the original RB games, but since we have new platforms now I figure it's a good idea to revive this now.

Basically, we know that virtually all USB microphones will work in Rock Band. However, there were issues with some of the adapters people use to hook up professional microphones to Rock Band. For example, I tried hooking up my Blue Icicle to my Xbox One today and found to my chagrin that, like in the previous generation, it doesn't work on my Xbox copy of Rock Band. However, I do understand it worked on the PlayStation 3; does it work in the PlayStation 4? I'm not quite ready to spend money on another digital copy to find out, but maybe one of you guys are or already have the setup.

Thus, let's start the list with adapters I know about (a very short list, at that)! Anyone who can contribute to the list is greatly appreciated!

Blue Icicle: XBO: NO; PS4: ???
    Alesis MicLink: XBO: NO; PS4:Yes
    Lightsnake STUSBXLR10: XBO: ???; PS4: ???
    Art USB Dual Tube Pre: XBO: ??? PS4: Yes (single channel)
    BandFuse/RockSmith cables + 1/4"-XLR adapter: XBO: Yes (with caveats); PS4: By definition yes but hasn't been tested

Im on PS4.
    I have the alesis Mic link and the blue icicle The Alesis mic link provides a very sharp bright sound while the blue icicle is a little duller. Because of how bright the vocals are already on Rockband I think I prefer the icicle.
  • kebernet said:
    You're on Xbox, right? I should be getting one of those tomorrow.