USB-XLR adapters that work in RB4 (and which consoles they work for)

Comments

• The singstar adapter does not work (which I think may or may not have already been confirmed). I am currently using a Blockhead adapter with my singstar mics paired with 6.35mm jack adapters. :)

I'm using the same block heads dongle with my dynamic mics...but it is hit or miss, mostly not recognizing at all. You've had no problems on the xbone?
  • LoopyChew said:

kebernet said:
    You're on Xbox, right? I should be getting one of those tomorrow.
    Before I purchase a couple, can either one of you confirm the sound quality/levels on Xbox one? Thanks.
  • LoopyChew said:

kebernet said:
    You're on Xbox, right? I should be getting one of those tomorrow.
    Before I purchase a couple, can either one of you confirm the sound quality/levels on Xbox one? Thanks.
    It looks like my shipment was delayed due to paperwork, but I'll let you know when I get one.
  • kebernet said:
    Xbone? How's the quality of sound?
  • It works, but it's very soft. Plus, it seems hyper/hyposensitive, in that it seems to be picking up tons of noise (if you're not singing into it, your arrow jumps around all over the place; if you get to an OD deploy phrase, you really need to belt out something to get it to deploy vocally.
  • LoopyChew said:

It works, but it's very soft. Plus, it seems hyper/hyposensitive, in that it seems to be picking up tons of noise (if you're not singing into it, your arrow jumps around all over the place; if you get to an OD deploy phrase, you really need to belt out something to get it to deploy vocally.

Damn...that doesn't sound like a buy for me...especially if you can barely hear them. Just wish my blockhead adapters would work.
  • LoopyChew said:

It works, but it's very soft. Plus, it seems hyper/hyposensitive, in that it seems to be picking up tons of noise (if you're not singing into it, your arrow jumps around all over the place; if you get to an OD deploy phrase, you really need to belt out something to get it to deploy vocally.

Exactly what happens with the cheapie XLR-USB cable I bought. Apparently that's not unusual. Shame, as it works perfectly on my PC, but neither PS3 or PS4.

So I guess the mediocre rating of Lightsnake on Amazon is somewhat justified. Not sure what to do, honestly. Spend a heck of a lot more money on something like Blue Icicle or what. Annoying that I have a really nice mic now and it's really no good for in-game. :pensive:
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act

LoopyChew said:

Exactly what happens with the cheapie XLR-USB cable I bought. Apparently that's not unusual. Shame, as it works perfectly on my PC, but neither PS3 or PS4.

So I guess the mediocre rating of Lightsnake on Amazon is somewhat justified. Not sure what to do, honestly. Spend a heck of a lot more money on something like Blue Icicle or what. Annoying that I have a really nice mic now and it's really no good for in-game. :pensive:
    Just imagine how people on X1 feel with real e-kits. ;)
  • LoopyChew said:

Yep, sucks to be them! But vocals is where it's at for me, so that's my concern~
  • RenrockRenrock Too bland to be banned
    Tagging for when people figure out the best combo to work with XB1.
  • gamer1stgamer1st Opening Act
    edited October 2015
    Can someone help me out?
    I have a Bandfuse cable here, (and I'm on X1 and have a Legacy Adapter) but as of yet no XLR to 1/8 adapter/cable and using XM8500.
    What cable should I need, balanced or not?
    I'm guessing that this cable...
    amazon.com/gp/product/B000068NYN?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And this adapter will allow mic to connect to my Bandfuse 1/8 cable...

amazon.com/gp/product/B014GRSYFA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2V8EHJT164DWR
  • LoopyChew said:

So this was a topic that came up way back in the original RB games, but since we have new platforms now I figure it's a good idea to revive this now.

Basically, we know that virtually all USB microphones will work in Rock Band. However, there were issues with some of the adapters people use to hook up professional microphones to Rock Band. For example, I tried hooking up my Blue Icicle to my Xbox One today and found to my chagrin that, like in the previous generation, it doesn't work on my Xbox copy of Rock Band. However, I do understand it worked on the PlayStation 3; does it work in the PlayStation 4? I'm not quite ready to spend money on another digital copy to find out, but maybe one of you guys are or already have the setup.

Thus, let's start the list with adapters I know about (a very short list, at that)! Anyone who can contribute to the list is greatly appreciated!

Blue Icicle: XBO: NO; PS4: ???
    Alesis MicLink: XBO: NO; PS4:Yes
    Lightsnake STUSBXLR10: XBO: ???; PS4: ???
    Art USB Dual Tube Pre: XBO: ??? PS4: Yes (single channel)
    BandFuse/RockSmith cables + 1/4"-XLR adapter: XBO: Yes (with caveats); PS4: By definition yes but hasn't been tested

Im on PS4.
    I have the alesis Mic link and the blue icicle The Alesis mic link provides a very sharp bright sound while the blue icicle is a little duller. Because of how bright the vocals are already on Rockband I think I prefer the icicle.
    Considering the Alesis now, considering that's now the cheapest, seemingly working option on the list. Is it still working well for you on RB4 on PS4? There's none of the noise issues mentioned above with cables like the Lightsnake?
  • nineisminenineismine Opening Act

LoopyChew said:

So this was a topic that came up way back in the original RB games, but since we have new platforms now I figure it's a good idea to revive this now.

Basically, we know that virtually all USB microphones will work in Rock Band. However, there were issues with some of the adapters people use to hook up professional microphones to Rock Band. For example, I tried hooking up my Blue Icicle to my Xbox One today and found to my chagrin that, like in the previous generation, it doesn't work on my Xbox copy of Rock Band. However, I do understand it worked on the PlayStation 3; does it work in the PlayStation 4? I'm not quite ready to spend money on another digital copy to find out, but maybe one of you guys are or already have the setup.

Thus, let's start the list with adapters I know about (a very short list, at that)! Anyone who can contribute to the list is greatly appreciated!

BandFuse/RockSmith cables + 1/4"-XLR adapter: XBO: Yes (with caveats); PS4: By definition yes but hasn't been tested

Im on PS4.
    I have the alesis Mic link and the blue icicle The Alesis mic link provides a very sharp bright sound while the blue icicle is a little duller. Because of how bright the vocals are already on Rockband I think I prefer the icicle.
    Considering the Alesis now, considering that's now the cheapest, seemingly working option on the list. Is it still working well for you on RB4 on PS4? There's none of the noise issues mentioned above with cables like the Lightsnake?
    I have had no major issues, I mostly play with 3 mics going and two xlr adapters, I do have some accidental activation though.
  • gamer1st said:

Can someone help me out?
    I have a Bandfuse cable here, (and I'm on X1 and have a Legacy Adapter) but as of yet no XLR to 1/8 adapter/cable and using XM8500.
    amazon.com/gp/product/B000068NYN?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

amazon.com/gp/product/B014GRSYFA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2V8EHJT164DWR

Unbalanced for sure. Your links look good.
  • I really wish the game had some sort of signal/clip indicator for the mics. They've got indicators for all of the instrument buttons...
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    i'm on PS4, using a lightsnake cable, on PS4 you can go into Settings and dial in the mic sensitivity so you get it right where it needs to be, not too hot or too quiet. the PS4 mic settings screen does indicate clipping. i believe i had to dial down the sensitivity a bit with the lightsnake, but i tried a bunch of different combinations of things so i don't remember exactly. but the lightsnake i think is a bit more sensitive than the standard RB mics.
  • Yeah setting the levels wouldn't be possible at all without the PS4 mic settings screen. Sure would be convenient to be able to do so from within the game though. Even just a "signal present" light would be great, especially when multiple mics are involved.
  • LoopyChew said:

Im on PS4.
    I have had no major issues, I mostly play with 3 mics going and two xlr adapters, I do have some accidental activation though.
    Why the accidental activation? Noise from the cable or just an overly sensitive mic?
    edited October 2015
    heppycat said:

gamer1st said:

Can someone help me out?

Thanks!
    I'm kind of up in the air between using the XM8500 or going with this Shure setup instead but the listed cable that it comes with doesnt have info about being balanced or not...

http://amazon.com/gp/product/B00TTQM93C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A3QI5PL377NJ1M

I'm not sure if the Shure is a better mic or if it's just more expensive.
  • edited October 2015
    gamer1st said:

heppycat said:

gamer1st said:

Can someone help me out?

Thanks!
    I'm kind of up in the air between using the XM8500 or going with this Shure setup instead but the listed cable that it comes with doesnt have info about being balanced or not...

http://amazon.com/gp/product/B00TTQM93C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A3QI5PL377NJ1M

I'm not sure if the Shure is a better mic or if it's just more expensive.
    I *think* QTR means 1/4" TS (unbalanced). That's what I see in the picture anyway. Personally, I only have experience with Shure's SM and Beta lines, but the PGA series doesn't look bad. Can't beat that price either. I like the on/off switch too.

EDIT: From the PGA48 Spec Sheet: "Ideal for use in spoken word and karaoke performance, the PGA48 features an on/off switch, swivel adapter, zipper pouch and choice of XLR cable or QTR ( ¼") cable, or without cable."
    I'll give it a go and let you know what I find out about the cable. It's not that hard to get the DVOM out and see what's what.
  • gamerxgamerx Unsigned
    In my RB2/3 days I used a Gemini mic system similar to this:

Pyle-PDWM3375-Premier-Series-Professional-2-Channel-UHF-Wireless-Handheld-Microphone-System

Then, I had a 1/4" to USB cable that connected from the receiver to the PS3. I'm looking to recreate this option on PS4. The mic receiver, by default can have two mics but RB will see it as one and for RB2 that was nice cause people could sing along in a karaoke sense...have to not care about points and performance when going that option of course.

But in theory, wouldn't this work as well, simply purchase multiples and connect each one?

Audio-Technica ATHCR7200T2 Wireless VHF Handheld Microphone, Black

I'm sure there are similar products of varying quality by various brands, I'm just linking these as an example of what's intended. Course their price points are decent enough I think.

• gamerx said:

Then, I had a 1/4" to USB cable that connected from the receiver to the PS3. I'm looking to recreate this option on PS4. The mic receiver, by default can have two mics but RB will see it as one and for RB2 that was nice cause people could sing along in a karaoke sense...have to not care about points and performance when going that option of course.

But in theory, wouldn't this work as well, simply purchase multiples and connect each one?

I've had my eye on wireless mics for quite some time, but haven't been able to justify the expense. The Shure GLXD system with custom handheld designs are especially tempting.

When it comes down to actually connecting the things, as long as you've got the required 1/4"/XLR to USB adapters, plugging in the mic receivers should be just like attaching a wired mic.
  • gamerxgamerx Unsigned
    edited October 2015
    heppycat said:

I've had my eye on wireless mics for quite some time, but haven't been able to justify the expense. The Shure GLXD system with custom handheld designs are especially tempting.

http://designstudio.shure.com/designs/22TEyS0C

Good lord that is tempting...$500+ though... :( I may just print a custom vinyl decal. Still...
  • gamerx said:

heppycat said:

http://designstudio.shure.com/designs/22TEyS0C

Good lord that is tempting...$500+ though... :( I may just print a custom vinyl decal. Still...
    *adds to list of things for my Secret Millionaire Wish List*
  • LeGonkLeGonk Unsigned

LoopyChew said:

Yep, sucks to be them! But vocals is where it's at for me, so that's my concern~
    It sucks even more when do both together :'( or do one or the other depending on how I'm feeling... drummer/singer
  • LeGonk said:

LoopyChew said:

It sucks even more when do both together :'( or do one or the other depending on how I'm feeling... drummer/singer
    And one of the few songs I can voxdrum on is a delisted song--"Snow (((Hey Oh)))".
  • @LoopyChew Can you add a Yes for the Shure X2u on PS4 please
  • heppycat said:

@LoopyChew Can you add a Yes for the Shure X2u on PS4 please

Done.
  • edited November 2015
    The Samson Q2U doesn't work on the Xbox One. :(

I"ve contacted Microsoft about microphones in general and it seems that any microphone that requires a driver doesn't work on the Xbox1 because the Xbox1 doesn't allow non-microsoft drivers.