USB-XLR adapters that work in RB4 (and which consoles they work for)

Comments

• gamer1stgamer1st Opening Act
    edited November 2015
    The Bandfuse adapter with a Behringer XM8500 works great on X1.
    The following Amazon items used.
    Mic...
    amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KZAKS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Cable...
    amazon.com/gp/product/B000068NYN?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Adapter...
    amazon.com/gp/product/B014GRSYFA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01

It all ran $40.20 not counting the Bandfuse adapter.
  • Does anyone have any links to equipment needed to run vocals through a separate speaker?
  • pjandlily said:

Does anyone have any links to equipment needed to run vocals through a separate speaker?

There are nearly infinite ways to go about this. You'll need a microphone and a preamp/usb adapter which has a monitor output.

The Shure X2u is a simple adapter which has a 1/8" headphone jack that you can connect to powered speakers. You can get it from Amazon bundled with an SM58 microphone.
  • Thank you.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited November 2015
    I suddenly realized that this is pretty tricky (or at least expensive) to do with 3 input mics. Should I give up on that dream and stick to 2 (or even just 1) microphone when I'm looking to sing without an echo, or is there a standard solution for that setup?
  • I suddenly realized that this is pretty tricky (or at least expensive) to do with 3 input mics. Should I give up on that dream and stick to 2 (or even just 1) microphone when I'm looking to sing without an echo, or is there a standard solution for that setup?

Great question.
  • edited November 2015
    It does get tricky because each microphone has to be connected to its own USB adapter. The obvious solution is to route the monitor output of each preamp/usb adpater to an external mixer. Another issue is specifically with RB4 (probably more of an issue with the current gen consoles): You can't just attach a single, multi-channel USB preamp any more. Each mic must have its own USB adapter.

I'll try to get some pictures together of my gear, and the many ways to connect it all.
  • Ok I'm not sure how this is going to work out so here goes...

This is my primary setup. Dual channel preamp, single mic attached with an XLR cable, 1/4" TS cable to the PA, and USB to the PS4
  • Shure SM57 mic and Shure X2u with an 1/8" TRS cable attached to the headphone port as an example. This adapter and mic is what I take to friends' houses.
  • 1/8" TRRS headset to XLR and 1/8" TRS (stereo) adapter. I haven't actually tested this with the game, but I have used it for game chat. One thing I did notice was the mic & headphones have to be connected to the adapter before it is connected to the controller or the PS4 doesn't recognize that a headset has been attached.
  • This is a very basic and inexpensive single channel preamp with 1/4" TS and XLR inputs and outputs. Shown with one out connected to a SingStar USB adapter (I know it doesn't work in RB4) and a 1/4" TS to the PA.
  • Shure 87A, Beta58A, and SM58 microphones. Peavey powered mixer with a photobomb by Sophia Chocolina .
  • Well now I can't get the 1/8" TRRS (headset) to XLR and 1/8" TS (stereo) adapter to work on the PS4. Verified it does work on my iPhone with a dynamic mic, and my iPhone headset works on the PS4. Maybe the PS4 controller requires an electret and just won't work with a dynamic.
  • +1 for Alesis MicLink. Took the plunge and bought one. Finally arrived today and it works perfectly on PS4. Phew! Using it with a Shure PG48. No issues, far as I can tell.
  • I was going to wait until someone else brought up ground loop noise (a humming sound) appearing when using PA equipment. I've had to use Direct Boxes (isolating transformers) with the SingStar USB adapter for this. Just came across this awesome document covering this issue and wanted to share before I forgot about it.
  • Does anyone have a quick list of equipment I can get from amazon to rig up a working 3 mic setup for xbox one? I have a rockband party Friday and the vocal lag really bums me out :(
  • pjandlily said:

Does anyone have a quick list of equipment I can get from amazon to rig up a working 3 mic setup for xbox one? I have a rockband party Friday and the vocal lag really bums me out :(

This thread is a list of working mics, but if you insist:

SM58/X2u bundle
    Four pack of mic cables
    1/8" to 1/4" cable
    Three channel PA
  • We don't know that the X2u works for XBO, though. Given the controls on there I'm led to believe probably not.
  • Hellion4242Hellion4242 Opening Act
    edited December 2015
    So, quick question, and I apologize if this has already been covered. In the first post, it states that the Lightsnake is XB1 compatible, with caveats. What would those caveats be? I have a
    Lightsnake from 6 or 7 years ago (no clue what model) that does work, it's just way sensitive. Is that the only known issue, or are there more?
  • edited December 2015
    LoopyChew said:

We don't know that the X2u works for XBO, though. Given the controls on there I'm led to believe probably not.

True, it hasn't been confirmed on XBO. Guess I couldn't be bothered to read the first post either ;) It's a very basic USB 1.1 audio device though. The controls are for gain, level, monitor mix, and phantom power.

Also, using the 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TS cable is not the correct way to combine a stereo signal. The two channels end up loading each other, reducing the signal level. But it works well enough in this application.
  • So, quick question, and I apologize if this has already been covered. In the first post, it states that the Lightsnake is XB1 compatible, with caveats. What would those caveats be? I have a
    Lightsnake from 6 or 7 years ago (no clue what model) that does work, it's just way sensitive. Is that the only known issue, or are there more?

That's the only known issue I'm aware of. When I tested it out, I wrote:
    LoopyChew said:

It works, but it's very soft. Plus, it seems hyper/hyposensitive, in that it seems to be picking up tons of noise (if you're not singing into it, your arrow jumps around all over the place; if you get to an OD deploy phrase, you really need to belt out something to get it to deploy vocally.

• LoopyChew said:

So, quick question, and I apologize if this has already been covered. In the first post, it states that the Lightsnake is XB1 compatible, with caveats. What would those caveats be? I have a

LoopyChew said:

It works, but it's very soft. Plus, it seems hyper/hyposensitive, in that it seems to be picking up tons of noise (if you're not singing into it, your arrow jumps around all over the place; if you get to an OD deploy phrase, you really need to belt out something to get it to deploy vocally.

Thanks, I must have missed your test results post.

For regular play, the standard mics work fine. But a long-time goal of mine is to have a dedicated setup with the mic inputs going through a mixer, then to a PA and the game. Considering I'd need to either have a house or a soundproof apartment first, I'm not too concerned at the moment. Just trying to keep tabs on the options. :)
  • LoopyChew said:

LoopyChew said:

For regular play, the standard mics work fine. But a long-time goal of mine is to have a dedicated setup with the mic inputs going through a mixer, then to a PA and the game. Considering I'd need to either have a house or a soundproof apartment first, I'm not too concerned at the moment. Just trying to keep tabs on the options. :)
    That doesn't work so well in my experience. Connecting the console to the PA will end up with a single combined channel of all of the mics. Since each mic has to be connected to its own USB interface, your mixer will have to have individual sends for each mic channel.

Some good can come from having multiple mics combined though. I removed the capsule from an old karaoke revolution mic, wrapped it in a terry cloth towel, and stuck it inside a steel tube. A second player can hit it with a stick for the vocal percussion parts =)
  • A coworker is going to test the X2u on his XBO. He doesn't have RB4, but it should at least work as a chat device.
  • heppycat said:

LoopyChew said:

LoopyChew said:

That doesn't work so well in my experience. Connecting the console to the PA will end up with a single combined channel of all of the mics. Since each mic has to be connected to its own USB interface, your mixer will have to have individual sends for each mic channel.

Some good can come from having multiple mics combined though. I removed the capsule from an old karaoke revolution mic, wrapped it in a terry cloth towel, and stuck it inside a steel tube. A second player can hit it with a stick for the vocal percussion parts =)
    Pretty clever lol. And in bold, that's exactly what I had in mind. Mics to mixer, per-channel send to console, parallel to mixed down send to PA.
  • heppycat said:

A coworker is going to test the X2u on his XBO. He doesn't have RB4, but it should at least work as a chat device.

I don't think that's how microphones work on Xbone? At least, it didn't work on 360- you had to have a headset running through a controller or a Kinect.
  • edited December 2015

heppycat said:

A coworker is going to test the X2u on his XBO. He doesn't have RB4, but it should at least work as a chat device.

I don't think that's how microphones work on Xbone? At least, it didn't work on 360- you had to have a headset running through a controller or a Kinect.
    I have no idea really. My thought was that since Rock Band doesn't have any way to adjust mic levels, there must be some way to do so in the system. I know how dangerous those assumptions are...

Addendum: So I'm reading about the lack of USB headset support on the Xbox. Is there any point in having my friend try it without having the game?
  • I'm not sure. I'll try to use a few mics in a party chat when I get home to see if it works.
  • Buddy says the X2u powers up, but the system does not give any indication that anything was attached. Do other USB mics give any indication outside of Rock Band? Does the XBox have any sort of level adjustment for them?
  • I just tried the BandFuse cable on the PS4. Used an SM58, Shure branded XLR to 1/4" cable connected to DI box with 1/4" input and 1/4" through (so basically just a 1/4" coupler). It worked, but levels were a bit low. Replaced the DI box with a preamp and had much better results.