USB-XLR adapters that work in RB4 (and which consoles they work for)

Comments

• I have the Behringer XM8500, Rocksmith cable and Xbox One.

The combo works great for singing except for the talking parts. I know the game can detect that I'm talking because the arrow shows up, but it won't score the talking parts. If I cover my mouth and mic together with my hand they will score most of the time but this method doesn't work well one or two words talking sections. Or if I sustain a note through the talking section it works most of the time, but again, hard to do with short talking sections.

So annoying because I really like the setup and have 99% a few songs on hard, but then completely fail otherwise easy songs because of the talking parts. I don't think it would be a problem if I could adjust the sensitivity, but that seems to be missing from this version of Rock Band.

Does anyone else have this problem?
  • lillejord said:

I have the Behringer XM8500, Rocksmith cable and Xbox One.

The combo works great for singing except for the talking parts. I know the game can detect that I'm talking because the arrow shows up, but it won't score the talking parts. If I cover my mouth and mic together with my hand they will score most of the time but this method doesn't work well one or two words talking sections. Or if I sustain a note through the talking section it works most of the time, but again, hard to do with short talking sections.

So annoying because I really like the setup and have 99% a few songs on hard, but then completely fail otherwise easy songs because of the talking parts. I don't think it would be a problem if I could adjust the sensitivity, but that seems to be missing from this version of Rock Band.

Does anyone else have this problem?

You may have to add a preamp between the mic and Rocksmith cable. The mic is low impedance but the Rocksmith cable expects a high impedance instrument. The preamp will also give you gain/level controls which the Xbox lacks.
  • heppycat said:

I just tried the BandFuse cable on the PS4. Used an SM58, Shure branded XLR to 1/4" cable connected to DI box with 1/4" input and 1/4" through (so basically just a 1/4" coupler). It worked, but levels were a bit low. Replaced the DI box with a preamp and had much better results.

I use this exact setup and it works like a dream. Excellent use for old Bandfuse cables.
  • Ok, I found an old phono preamp and it worked :)
    This preamp doesn't have a gain adjustment and is probably more sensitive(?) than I would think is ideal so I tried ruining it through my better phono preamp that does have a gain control, but adjusting gain didn't seem to make a difference.

Anyway, its just nice NOT to have overdrive activating just by breathing...

Also got to try my brothers LightSnake STUSBG10 (1/4" male to USB + 1/4" female splitter) and his xlr to 1/4" adapter (can't tell brand or model). He uses these for instrument recording, not Rockband. This setup seemed way to sensitive. The pitch arrow on Rockband was jumping all over the place when not singing, which was distracting. It also had some annoying flashing green lights. Could probably us an attenuator to help lower the sensitivity?
  • lillejord said:

Ok, I found an old phono preamp and it worked :)
    This preamp doesn't have a gain adjustment and is probably more sensitive(?) than I would think is ideal so I tried ruining it through my better phono preamp that does have a gain control, but adjusting gain didn't seem to make a difference.

I should have been specific and said microphone preamp ;) Phono preamps are a rather different beast of another age. As well as bringing up a low level signal from a magnetic cartridge to line level, they apply RIAA equalization -- not something you want to do to a mic signal. Also, the phono preamp is unblanced while the mic is balanced, so it has to be wired strangely.
    lillejord said:

Also got to try my brothers LightSnake STUSBG10 (1/4" male to USB + 1/4" female splitter) and his xlr to 1/4" adapter (can't tell brand or model). He uses these for instrument recording, not Rockband. This setup seemed way to sensitive. The pitch arrow on Rockband was jumping all over the place when not singing, which was distracting. It also had some annoying flashing green lights. Could probably us an attenuator to help lower the sensitivity?

I haven't used one of these before, but it's very similar to the Bandfuse cable: expecting a high impedance unbalanced instrument signal. Audio pads (attenuators) are a thing. Normally used when connecting line-level signals to microphone inputs. You could use one in this situation but I wouldn't go and buy one just for it.

To keep everything simple, this preamp is all you need. Mic connects to the XLR mic input, Bandfuse cable to the 1/4" output. It does the balanced to unbalanced conversion and has two knobs for adjusting gain and level.
    lillejord said:

Amen brother
  • Has anyone tried one of the Focusrite Scarlett interfaces on a PS4?
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    lillejord said:

Putting a cheap-as-heck foam ball windscreen over the official RB4 mic does wonders for this. You still get a lot of handling noise if you shift the mic around, but without the screen quietly exhaling through your nose will set it off and with the windscreen it won't.
  • CrEOF said:

Has anyone tried one of the Focusrite Scarlett interfaces on a PS4?

Highly unlikely considering it uses ASIO drivers.
  • lillejord said:

Putting a cheap-as-heck foam ball windscreen over the official RB4 mic does wonders for this. You still get a lot of handling noise if you shift the mic around, but without the screen quietly exhaling through your nose will set it off and with the windscreen it won't.
    Don't forget about all of the saliva that is being caught by the easy-to-remove-and-wash screen, which is no longer being absorbed by your mic grill.
  • Dave_XBoxDave_XBox Unsigned
    I am using a Sure 58 on my PS4, it works great in game (love the gain control) but people can not hear me talk between songs or in the Greenroom. Is there a setting sme place I am missing, or am I going to have to equip a 2nd mike for talking, like I did with the PS3?
  • Delibird444Delibird444 Opening Act
    Dave_XBox said:

I am using a Sure 58 on my PS4, it works great in game (love the gain control) but people can not hear me talk between songs or in the Greenroom. Is there a setting sme place I am missing, or am I going to have to equip a 2nd mike for talking, like I did with the PS3?

There is no chat in-game in Rock Band 4, so you'll have to plug a second mic into a standard controller and join a party chat with that.
  • heppycat said:

CrEOF said:

That's a shortcoming with Windows ;)

The specifications say they're class compliant. I know people using them with iPads & Macs without any drivers.
  • CrEOF said:

heppycat said:

CrEOF said:

That's a shortcoming with Windows ;)

The specifications say they're class compliant. I know people using them with iPads & Macs without any drivers.
    Sadly the PS4 is just not in the same class. I've noticed that if the device says it works in Windows 98/XP, it works on the PS4.
  • Dave_XBox said:

There is no chat in-game in Rock Band 4, so you'll have to plug a second mic into a standard controller and join a party chat with that.
    No need for a second mic. Just join a party. Make sure your party audio is set to go out the primary speakers though. The PS4 wants to send party audio out of the X2U's monitor port by default.

Also, unless you don't like your party members much, be sure to go into the party settings and mute before singing!
  • Delibird444Delibird444 Opening Act
    Huh, that's neat! It's a difference from Xbone, where you definitely need a second controller on every instrument (since the microphone doesn't count as a chat mic.)
  • SparkyBobOmbSparkyBobOmb Unsigned
    edited September 15
    I play on XBox1 and I have a spare Shure SM58 microphone. I was guided to this thread asking for help on the possibility to use this mic with RB4. I ordered the Hosa PXF-110XLR3F microphone cable on Amazon which was suggested earlier in the thread.

Once it arrived, I connected it with a male-male 1/4" adapter I bought from the local Radio Shack to my Rocksmith cable that I was originally using on my XB360. I went through a few songs and it tested out great on the singing parts, although songs with the talkies sections, it wouldn't pick up at all. I have a Behringer XENYX1002B 10-channel mixer I run all my audio though to my sound system. I connected the mic cable to an unused channel, and ran the Rocksmith cable from an output of the mixer to the my XBox1. After some tweaking, I was able to get the mic to register the talkies section on songs, and the singing parts pick up with little issue. Also, on a whim, I tried a standard XLR cable from the mic to the mixer with the Rocksmith cable still on the same output. That also worked.
  • I play on XBox1 and I have a spare Shure SM58 microphone. I was guided to this thread asking for help on the possibility to use this mic with RB4. I ordered the Hosa PXF-110XLR3F microphone cable on Amazon which was suggested earlier in the thread.

Once it arrived, I connected it with a male-male 1/4" adapter I bought from the local Radio Shack to my Rocksmith cable that I was originally using on my XB360. I went through a few songs and it tested out great on the singing parts, although songs with the talkies sections, it wouldn't pick up at all. I have a Behringer XENYX1002B 10-channel mixer I run all my audio though to my sound system. I connected the mic cable to an unused channel, and ran the
    Rocksmith cable from an output of the mixer to the my XBox1. After some tweaking, I was able to get the mic to register the talkies section on songs, and the singing parts pick up with little issue.

Out of curiosity, does the microphone indicator "dance" with your setup?
  • heppycat said:

Also, unless you don't like your party members much, be sure to go into the party settings and mute before singing!

You have no idea how true this is. After subjecting one of my crewmates to "Squeal Invincible" on vox (while I did a GS on bass), he took revenge by unmuting himself while singing "What's Up?" by 4 Non Blondes.

I always have to have the last laugh though, so after we switched instruments, he got my version of "I Miss The Misery" with the choruses in the wrong octave direction.

Anyways yeah, back to mics... Anything Logitech works IMO. Just remove the pickup and attach the ground and live wires from your own setup.
  • SparkyBobOmbSparkyBobOmb Unsigned
    edited September 22
    LoopyChew said:

Out of curiosity, does the microphone indicator "dance" with your setup?

It did a lot until I adjusted and tweaked my gain, mic volume and output volume settings of the mic channel. It doesn't fluctuate too much now that I got everything dialed in. I would say it's 85-90% steady. That was more than enough for me when friends were singing.