Custom Songs in Rock Band

ManbearpigManbearpig Unsigned
edited August 2009 in Rock Band
I think that HMX should release a PC program where you can make custom songs and import them into Rock Band. GH3 has something similar for the PC, but with Rock Band you should be able to import it into the PS3 or 360. You could import it similarly to Unreal Tournament 3 (which has mods for the PS3) by using a flash drive.
Anyone think this is a good idea?

Comments

• Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited January 2008
    Sure! It's not like there won't be major copyright issues that would result in Harmonix going bankrupt or anything.
  • jozbaldwinjozbaldwin Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    This wont happen ever cause of copyright issues...

What I would love to see is a program to make your own songs capable of playing in the game, then submit them to harmonix and if the product is well enough made put on the store as free DLC or charge something if needed to. I would love to see my band songs on the game
  • ManbearpigManbearpig Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    I don't understand how it would be different from other mod programs released. In Half-Life 2, there were a bunch of user-created Halo maps and weapons. I'm sure they violated some copyright laws but Valve didn't get in trouble. I don't think Harmonix can be held responsible for what its users create.
  • SemperFiSemperFi Rising Star
    edited January 2008
    Manbearpig;284719 said:
    where you can make custom songs
    Custom songs, sure. You just can't take an existing song and create note charts for the game without getting into copyright heck. :cool:
  • Rental_NinjaRental_Ninja Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Also hamonix wouldnt make any money with weekly DLC, As soon as a new song is released someone would make there own version of the same song and could replicate the note chart completely. So there would be no reason for anyone to purchase any songs, except the one person who bought it to learn the note chart.
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    Hmm, maybe if it had to go through Harmonix to be playable...otherwise it would never happen.
  • orange_blackorange_black Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    my real question is.... how long will it be before "somebody out there" starts releasing home-made files which are playable on the ps3?

Theres always hackers out there that love to do that kinda stuff.

hopefully they're Pantera fans :)
  • HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    I don't think Harmonix should release any kind of program or encourage people to make custom songs... however, just like with Guitar Hero II, I saw videos popping up online of custom songs, that was fun. Theoretically, people would just keep hacking GH II, for Guitar parts anyway... maybe start hacking RB to make Drum customs.
  • stoastydstoastyd Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Problem with doing this is the quality of the product would be pretty horrible.

In order to represent those missed notes you have to have each instrument track separated, which would require the masters as doing this with a simple MP3 would be next to impossible.

Then there's the animations for the characters on screen. This is all scripted by HMX so that it fits the song well. Lip sync, moves, video filters, etc.

Then there's the notes themselves, while I believe this is probably the easiest part to do I still think there would be people would create some pretty horrible note configurations. Granted this is the easiest to avoid as well... reviews of custom tracks would help.

Transferring the files becomes a problem as well. You would either need some sort of 360/PS3 mem card reader that would hook up to your PC, a way to hook the HDD of the system up to the PC, or a way to read the files via your network. First two would require very specialized hardware, the second would take a lot of know how (at least without a specialized piece of software).

In the end, I think you're looking at a task that is far above 95+% of the players of this game, but it's one of those things that if it was available it would make everyone want to do it, and the quality would suffer greatly.

All this said, I hope they find a good way to do it ;)
  • DarkboiDarkboi Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    stoastyd;385412 said:
    the second would take a lot of know how (at least without a specialized piece of software).
    Maybe something like the program for Xbox that allowed you to transfer mp3's from your PC to the xbox and added Karaoke and whatnot.

I don't see it happening because of the issues already stated, but i would rather purchase an "official" track than use a homemade one because of all the synced animations and such.
  • Sarge51Sarge51 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    jozbaldwin;284760 said:
    This wont happen ever cause of copyright issues...
    Let's hope not. I for one don't want it to happen. Rock Band, keep doing what you're doing.
  • CreativeOne0829CreativeOne0829 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    You can almost practically do that already, unfortunately not for importation to the game software itself.

If you goto www.andrewrudson.com you can download the drum machine compatible to you're RB Set. download the XB360 controller driver. Play you're MP3 and drum along. Its very cool and hundreds of drum sounds. Highly recommended.

But as for the actual importing you're own tracks into the game? Really not something anyone can do about. Part of HMX consumer base is players that strive for the DLC. Last week close to 2000 viewers were refreshing the site just for the late DLC. What would happen if you were able to import anything you want? HMX would be severely hit with possible copywrite infringements along with glitches and bugs, choreographing the avatars and the lip syncing.

Of course with most paid software/game includes TOS/EULA's. Im sure included in the fine print is hacking the software or various other information.
  • PuristPurist Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    The game already has this feature. It's call crank your stereo and select practice mode.
  • chillzatlchillzatl Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    I'd rather they apply their development efforts elsewhere. Like getting online bwt working and band vs. band faceoffs. Custom songs would sound like crap and the quality would be all over the place.
  • H0RSEH0RSE Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    Rental_Ninja;284914 said:
    Also hamonix wouldnt make any money with weekly DLC, As soon as a new song is released someone would make there own version of the same song and could replicate the note chart completely. So there would be no reason for anyone to purchase any songs, except the one person who bought it to learn the note chart.
    But you have to remember, you would need to create the actual song using real notes, pitch, etc, and then create what the player would play in game. So DLC would provide nothing more than what the player sees on screen, not the actual structure of the song.

I think people forget that if you were making custom music, you would essentially have to make 2 versions of every song. What the song actually sounds like, and the game version. Like all the double bass parts you hear that are converted to playable single pedal parts in game (until they release the RB double bass pedal, or if anyone has mastered heel-toe technique on the RB pedal) :)
  • daniel1919daniel1919 Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    i just need two song, Infected by bad religion and one by metallica, one ROCKS!
  • VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    yeah you're not stupid at all C:
  • DarkHeartsDieDarkHeartsDie Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    ugh this would be pretty stupid and lame, because people are just going to make there own versions to songs they like/want and implement it onto rock band with note charting worse than you would see from activision, i say it's a no go
  • Color SprayColor Spray Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    Has anyone mentioned "Unsigned" yet? It's an open source Rock Band clone for the PC.

http://www.unsigned-game.com/
  • Iblis121Iblis121 Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    Actually, it's possible. Or at least it will be via the Rock Band Network. Thing is, copyright issues will occur if you just chart a song willie-nillie and send it to them without getting consent from the maker of the song. The tool itself costs 99$ a year. Click "RBN" on the top of your pages =_=
  • edited August 2009
    Thanks for the advice, but I don't think you needed to bring back an ancient thread to give it.
This discussion has been closed.