Star Wars Discussion *SPOILER WARNING! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!*

RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
edited April 14 in Less Rokk More Talk
A place to talk openly about the Star Wars films.

Comments

• RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    While there are a lot of parallels to Episode IV, I thought it stood up on it's own.
    There's only one way to settle this!

*summons lightsaber*
    edited December 2015
    Even so, it was still a damn good movie and I didn't hate any of the new characters. Except for Ben Solo Kylo Ren because of what he does at the climax, but even in my hate I felt pity for him.
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited December 2015
    Loved it. Wow! On the whole deal with....
    Totally!

I think the thing that this script did best, which the original trilogy did and the prequels did not, was using dialogue to underscore the action and heighten the drama. By this, I'm talking about the scene with Han and Leia regarding losing Ben to the Dark Side.

I'm calling Rey as being the new trilogy's Jaina Solo or they're going for a gender swap and she's going to be the trilogy's Ben Skywalker. There's definitely a familial connection there. It was telegraphed too much in the torture scene and in the final duel. Especially at the end of the duel when there's a literal gulf between her and Ben.
    That's one thing I didn't quite get. Was that vision caused by The Force or by the Lightsaber? 'Cause if it was caused by the saber that would mean it's sentient and is verging on "the wand chooses the wizard" territory.
  • The best thing about this one, the thing that distinguished it from the prequels, is that it's not dry and super serious. It has a sense of humor and wonder. And the fact that they used actual people or puppets instead of CGI for most of it made a huge difference in the presentation. I've gotta agree, the story relies too heavily on episode IV but it also took most of the best elements of the expanded universe and set them up for fruition in the coming movies.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    Luke should have farted at the end.
  • Kept rbr's title cos it was clearer.

I enjoyed it, even if it took a lot if story elements from the originals. The new characters work and are fun. Also, didn't know you could get emotional acting out of a wookie, but man, I admit Chewie's rampage choked me up.

I had not recognized either Daniel Craig or Simon Pegg in their small parts, though. Probably good, since the casting of the two Lost alumni was distracting enough.
    One thing I'm not clear on: was that Admiral Ackbar or was it some other Calamarian? I'm assuming it was the admiral since it's only been 25-ish years in universe since Return of the Jedi.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    saw that father son thing coming and was not excited when it arrived.
    I'm actually looking forward to seeing that backstory unfold ... said everyone in 1999 about the prequels. ;)

But really, in the right hands, it should be interesting finding out more about how Ben Solo became Kylo Ren and learn more about the Knights of Ren.
  • Estimated opening weekend box office of US$238 million in North America (a record), US$517 million globally (second only to Jurassic World's $524 million). And it doesn't debut in China until Jan. 9.

On pace to topple Avatar ($2.7 billion) as the highest grossing film in history.
  • I got spoiled for the Ben/Han thing by some d-weed comment on a Twitter post which I don't even remember if it had to do with Star Wars.

Didn't care. Was fun.

It was more or less a retread of Episode IV.

Didn't care. Was fun.

I went to a showing at one of the few Laser IMAX theaters in the WORLD and ended up in the front third, meaning I had to crane my neck at an angle to get the whole picture, with a bit of the lower corner obscured because 3D IMAX is weird like that.

Didn't care. Was fun. Also I'm not going to really whine about going to a Laser IMAX showing.

Finn's whole, "WHY YES I'M A MEMBER OF THE RESISTANCE" bit was more amusing than it had any right to be. Watching Rey slowly accepting the fact that she's Force-sensitive to reach the battle at the end was pretty glorious. Poe Dameron's whole Joss Whedon thing ("So are you gonna talk, or am I gonna talk, or--") was maybe a little out of place, but out of place. Kylo Ren's temper tantrums were hilarious, because the only thing more hilarious than a bad guy having a temper tantrum is a bad guy having a temper tantrum with a lightsaber.

That the movie didn't really care about the battle around Starkiller base as much as the people on it was fine by me, because we didn't need a third Death Star battle so much.

I find it bizarre that Daisy Ridley was allowed to keep speaking in received pronunciation while John Boyega used an American accent. It's a step up from his work on 24, but it seems odd that they can't use their native accents.

Our entire theater cheered for the return of Han and Chewie and went noticeably silent at Leia's return, as if everyone's heart skipped a beat at the same time.

I'm also not too annoyed at being spoiled for the Ben/Han thing because anyone familiar with both standard storytelling beats and the Episode IV structure knows that 1) Kylo Ren was being set up to be related to the original cast, and there were only a few possibilities, and 2) Han was inserted in the Obi-Wan Kenobi position which pretty much sealed his fate in carbonite. I guess I could see it being a giant, giant spoiler, but I feel like the tension comes from knowing it's coming and there's nothing you can do about it.

I will be watching the main trilogy as soon as I can from here out, and I'll probably also go to the anthology films on release, too. They know exactly how to get my butt into the theater seat.
  • Very awesome and insightful, as always, @LoopyChew.

It took me a little bit to settle in, but I thoroughly enjoyed the new movie. The flashback bit with the lightsaber was pretty wild. A good mix of drama, emotion, suspense, and surprises.

Now...I just need to see it another 3 times while it's still in theatre!

Also...laser iMAX?
  • Very awesome and insightful, as always, @LoopyChew.

It took me a little bit to settle in, but I thoroughly enjoyed the new movie. The flashback bit with the lightsaber was pretty wild. A good mix of drama, emotion, suspense, and surprises.

Now...I just need to see it another 3 times while it's still in theatre!

Also...laser iMAX?

Laser IMAX. I'm Stateside and went to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, at the Udvar-Hazy center. It was a family outing, first Star Wars one since AotC at the Odeon in London in 2002, as Mom's friend works for the Smithsonian and got us dirt cheap seats. Totally worth it.
  • Apparently the stormtrooper that was Force Compelled to open Rey's restraints is actually played by
    Daniel Craig.

That's kinda awesome.
  • Even so, it was still a damn good movie and I didn't hate any of the new characters. Except for Ben Solo Kylo Ren because of what he does at the climax, but even in my hate I felt pity for him.

They got me hating Ren about the time I saw his face. He had a smuggish, pre last hour of HPatDH Snape-iness about him. Like Drow, I felt it as soon as I heard he was Han's kid that Han was short for the world.

Even so, it was still a damn good movie and I didn't hate any of the new characters. Except for Ben Solo Kylo Ren because of what he does at the climax, but even in my hate I felt pity for him.

They got me hating Ren about the time I saw his face. He had a smuggish, pre last hour of HPatDH Snape-iness about him. Like Drow, I felt it as soon as I heard he was Han's kid that Han was short for the world.
    You could definitely see the family resemblance to Episode III Anakin. They both had fabulous Sith hair. Loreal ... because you're evil and went to the Dark Side.
  • bri2jbri2j Unsigned

That was the point. When he took off his helmet he isn't some Sith Lord or Master, he is a kid. A kid struggling between the light and the dark side. They said at the beginning that Luke was the last Jedi so while Kylo Ren is this new Sith, he has never actually had to fight anyone. So he spends most the film throwing temper tantrums in his computers and even when he fights Rey he is literally hitting himself to try to pump himself up. Even his costume with the helmet is just puffing out his chest as trying to be like Darth Vader.

It worked for me and seemed for fitting that even after killing his own dad to embrace the dark side that when he does actually get in a fight, Kylo Ren gets his ass kicked. What will be more interesting as where he goes from here as he evolves and becomes more evil. Atleast in the future he will have a scar on his face and be a battle wounded man.
    Wondering why Chewie didn't go for the headshot. Grief? The fact that, even though he killed him, Ben's his best friend's kid?
    edited December 2015
    All of the above.

To be honest, Ben Solo's backstory is the thing I'm actually looking forward to finding out more about. All our main characters knew him and they all failed him in some way.

The only thing I don't get is why they called him "Ben". Han and Leia weren't exactly close to Obi-Wan in the original trilogy.
    He couldn't be named Jacen because that EU doesn't exist and Anakin would've been too much. So I suppose it's a nice middle ground.

I guess, if you look at it from Leia's perspective, it would make sense to name her son after the general who served with her father during the Clone Wars.

Or Han and Leia couldn't come up with a name and he was christened by his Uncle Luke.
  • Wondering why Chewie didn't go for the headshot. Grief? The fact that, even though he killed him, Ben's his best friend's kid?

It was a few hundred yards at best too. I can't imagine that crossbow is very accurate either.
  • Wondering why Chewie didn't go for the headshot. Grief? The fact that, even though he killed him, Ben's his best friend's kid?

It was a few hundred yards at best too. I can't imagine that crossbow is very accurate either.
    He did quite well immediately after, but that was very close range. Lasers in Star Wars don't seem to be great. Though, bonus points to Finn for being the most accurate Stormtrooper ever.
    To be fair, apparently it was Finn's first mission? Maybe he would have been kicked out for being too accurate.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    hey if Kylo/Ben/Ren can pause a laser hot in mid air for like, 5 minutes using only the force, why didn't he think to use it more during a couple of light saber battles with a non jedi and a person who is strong with the force but knows nothing of the force 'push'

he could've just impaled them both on trees
  • Rey is Luke's daughter, right? And that's why his lightsaber "spoke" to her?

I mean, based on this quote from the trailer, of course she is.
    "The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power, too."

Even though that sound clip was actually taken (and changed around in order a bit) from Episode VI, where Luke was addressing Leia.

Leia never uses her force powers, does she? Other than to communicate vaguely with Luke over long distances?

1st impression: see, it's not so hard to make a fun Star Wars movie, why couldn't Episodes I-III have been like this one? Just copy a basic story pattern (not necessarily the Episode IV story), and have some fun with it.
    2nd impression: or maybe it's only possible to make a good Star Wars movie if you have Han Solo. Hmmm.

I was never expecting it to be the greatest Science Fiction / Fantasy movie ever, and I already knew if was possible to hate it (a couple of my friends posted their disappointment), so I went in with very reasonable expectations. That always helps.

I also remember "Star Trek: Into Darkness". Iconic characters, big budget action, sucky movie. This wasn't that. I don't even want to think about why exactly ST:ID was so terrible, I just want to be glad that this one didn't make those same mistakes. Whatever they were.
  • hey if Kylo/Ben/Ren can pause a laser hot in mid air for like, 5 minutes using only the force, why didn't he think to use it more during a couple of light saber battles with a non jedi and a person who is strong with the force but knows nothing of the force 'push'

he could've just impaled them both on trees

Well because then the movie would have been really short.
  • Darth vs. Luke showed how a fight progresses when both combatants are strong with the force. They throw objects / each other around even more often than they swing a light saber. They can try to disarm each other with a Expelliarmus Spell (lol), and sometimes it even works, but then they call back their weapon and the fight continues.

We've never seen the force able to freeze a laser, so we have no idea how that is supposed to work. Aside from the "it looks cool, so let's put it in the movie" reasoning. But let's just assume that a light saber is a different kind of energy, and it can't be frozen in place. Or it already IS frozen in place (a fixed-length stationary beam). Normally the way the force deals with a blaster is to force-move the item out of the attacker's hands (Vader vs Han Solo, in Cloud City) or to deflect the shots effortlessly with a light saber. Or to freeze a combatant in place (Rey vs Ren): that's a newly shown power too, yes?

Oh, when Rey uses force suggestion? The Storm Trooper is Daniel Craig!

You know how you can't use the transporter while in warp? Well, the last Star Trek movie said, "well, let's just say Scotty is smart and now you can do that". It comes off as a bit lazy. Kind of like, "oh, we'll just come out of warp just past their shield and then pull up". Nobody has done that before! Oh, but Han Solo is a great pilot, so of course he can, and then you don't have to have a quiet scene ripped from another Episode where he bluffs his way in using an old authorization code or something.

I'm nit-picking. I liked the movie. I had pretty much nothing to say about Episodes I-III because I wasn't engaged. "There's always a bigger fish". Sigh.