Let's Talk: Rhythm Gaming on PC

edited February 2016 in Off Topic
Hey!

I recently put up a blog post talking about the state of rhythm games on PC, which you can read here. I wanted to hear the community's thoughts on rhythm games and PC gaming in general.

Do you play rhythm games on PC? Why or why not?
What games do you play on PC in other genres?

Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks, so let's start chatting!

Comments

• I do play Guitar Hero World Tour and Phase Shift, mostly for making stuff and playing it.

I know my songs will never make it to a music game and get release so i make charts for my songs when i make them.
  • I think that the article was good, but left out a lot of PC rhythm games with huge communities. Games like Stepmania and Osu! pull in thousands upon thousands of players and have dedicated content-creation tools and methods that have led to them being incredibly popular. Personally, I'd love to see much more rhythm games in the peripheral-using vein similar to Rock Band and Osu has provided a base for some of them with their Osumania and Taiko drum modes.

I feel like Harmonix definitely has a chance to carve themselves out a huge share of the PC rhythm game market if they were to bring over Rock Band 4 and offer ways to contribute new songs to the game. I'd love a new version of RBN to come out, but let creators and rights holders profit off of having their songs added. If you let content creators seek out licenses themselves with a standard agreement and create songs that can get added or removed as official DLC (similar to paid mods) based on community feedback, you'd have the potential to foster a bigger community on PC than you currently have on console. Of course, this would probably also require current RB instruments to be compatible with PC/Mac systems which might not be feasible but hey, I can dream.
  • I guess what I'm really getting at is that though the PC is more open to exploits and piracy I think it's also a hotbed for content creation and modding. I really just want to be able to make and play charts for my favorite bands and letting community members create them akin to older Rock Band Network charts would be perfect for PC.
  • I think one reason for the lack of GH/RB-like music games on PC is the multiplayer aspect. Most PC games are suited towards a local single player experience. Most music games are unique in that they require specific controllers and a lot of PC setups are placed in the corner of someone's bedroom unlike a game console which is usually in the living room. So consoles have the advantage of being played on larger screens and have extra space for instrument play.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited February 2016

Not really, because as you said, there are very few available. Pretty much limited to Audiosurf for me, if you don't count the fantastic music levels from Rayman Legends (BTW, I would play an entire game like that). I'd get Rocksmith, but my drive to learn real guitar isn't all that high right now.

My most played games are: Final Fantasy XIII-2, Metal Gear Rising, Borderlands 2, Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, Civ V, Final Fantasy VIII, FTL, Super Meat Boy, Sonic Adventure 2, Portal 2, and Tales from the Borderlands.
  • HeXcodaHeXcoda Road Warrior
    As primarily a PC gamer, I'd LOVE more music games on PC. I've got Necrodancer and it's keen, and I played the heck out of Audiosurf, but that's about all I've got. More would always be welcome.

Heck, I'd be casually playing more Rock Band for vocals if I could just boot it up while I'm bored and sitting here. Beats going to the other room, firing up all the entertainment center gear, booting the xbawks, getting the controller and microphone, etc. If I could just slap on the headset I have handy and doubleclick an icon I'd be golden. I've even got a PC-based MAME arcade cabinet which would be terrific for titles like these, and a PC-based home theater PC that has a Steam install.

As for other games, I play a random sampling of indie stuff and the occasional big budget title. Almost entirely through Steam, to avoid futzing around with installers and third party game managers. I tend to look for things with simple and easy to process gameplay that engages for as long as I want to focus on it... no mandatory 4+ hour sessions or byzantine rulesets to memorize. Variety and ease of access are key.
    Oh, it doesn't quite fit here, since it's not a PC or console game, but I just wanted to say that Patapon 2 is probably my favorite music game ever. I'd pick up something like that on PC in a heartbeat. Theatrythm Final Fantasy is my other portable favorite.
  • Storm360Storm360 Unsigned
    edited February 2016
    I'd love to see Rock Band come to PC, would be great, ensure content is always future proof and no hassle between generations etc (looking at you SCEE)

I play Rocksmith 2014 and Guitar Hero III, Rocksmith I play on PC because PC is my preferred platform, and I've found I get a much better experience on the PC version than the console counterparts in regards to audio quality, the delay between the guitar and game and also just overall smoothness, I also play Guitar Hero III and Phase Shift because the endless amount of custom content, I feel like something similar to the Steam Workshop (with paid support) could be the goal to bring back the RBN onto the current generation of Rock Band too, similar to how the Xbox 360 provided the baseline for the original RBN. I've also played alot of games like Audiosurf, Beat Hazard etc

I typically play most games on PC, most recently Street Fighter V, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Fallout 4.

Also, if Stems are an issue, I'd totally forgo multi tracks to get a RB game playable on PC.
  • Right now the available options for rhythm games on PC are pretty slim.
    Yea, Because you guys never released a Rock Band for PC even though there was a demand for it.
  • edited February 2016
    Well okay. I hate to say what I'm about to say, which is why I am about to say what I will say on a relatively private forum such as this one.

User Experience Matters. (TM). Furthermore, Content Is Essential To The User Experience(TM).

What matters is common sense. HMX didn't always see the user demands and sometimes just made products on the whims of their own creativity. Most of these ideas, regrettably, failed.

*The users* are often stating that you have failed them. This is not a good thing - You want to satisfy the users at the least, and that is not too difficult.

So basically my advice is... listen to the users and put them as your top priority in satisfaction. The rest of the fun will come naturally, trust me. ^_^

EDITED to remove elocution hazards.

• Adding to which, sorry I was ranting just about your console games, but I hope you can extend a user-friendly philosophy to the PC platforms as well! =)
  • I hope that the future holds Chroma. It had a ton of potential, and I really hope it gets revisited, especially with this interest in rhythm games

• 1. Well okay. I hate to say what I'm about to say, which is why I am about to say what I will say on a relatively private forum such as this one.

2. User Experience Matters. (TM). Furthermore, Content Is Essential To The User Experience(TM).

3. What matters is common sense. HMX didn't always see the user demands and sometimes just made products on the whims of their own creativity. Most of these ideas, regrettably, failed.

4. *The users* are often stating that you have failed them. This is not a good thing - You want to satisfy the users at the least, and that is not too difficult.

5. So basically my advice is... listen to the users and put them as your top priority in satisfaction. The rest of the fun will come naturally, trust me. ^_^

EDITED to remove elocution hazards.

1. Ditto.
    2. Meh...
    3. "Common Sense" is actually "a collection of learnt behaviours & rules that govern groups of people". What is common sense to you, may make no sense to me.
    4. You have failed this thread, a "user" has spoken.
    5. Ditto.
    I also thought Chroma had a ton of potential in its gameplay.

The idea of a musical deathmatch was cool, but personally I'd love the same gameplay taken in a different direction. A 1-4 player co-op shooter with the same mechanics would be amazing. Imagine Borderlands crossed with Patapon.
  • I've messed around with Vocaluxe a little. Works well enough on a laptop attached to the TV. It's quickly obvious that you get what you pay for though...

Otherwise, I don't really play games on the PC.
  • +1 for bringing back Chroma. Such a fun concept.
  • Hi,

I read your post and I hope this is the right time for new rhythm games on the PC :)
    I recently created a new rhythm game that runs in your browser, thanks to the web midi api users can use their digital drum kit to play. Link: www.playdrumsonline.com
  • Yes!! I play rhythm game on PC.