"Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice" Discussion *SPOILER WARNING! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!*

calloycalloy Unsigned
edited March 2016 in Less Rokk More Talk
even if it's a flop, nobody likes spoilers. thanks to RBR for the template

Comments

• LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    Just saw it on Friday. I hadn't read the reviews, but I heard they were pretty bad. So as is par for the course with me and movies, going in with low expectations allowed me to actually enjoy this film. So there, I liked it. I'm not a comic book geek so I don't know the "real" story, so there wasn't any problem if they didn't stick to the canon since I don't know it.

My wife thought it was too slow.
  • $170.1 million opening weekend gross, best for any Warner Bros. film and sixth-best opening weekend in history.

Still, with a $250 million budget and another $150 million in marketing, some work to do to make its money back.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    I haven't seen it, but I'm a really big Hans Zimmer fan. I've listened to the score, and I really like it.

Seriously considering going to see the movie just to hear it on theatre speakers, even if I wasn't really feeling the previews (and everyone else being so negative).
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited March 2016
    I enjoyed it. Better than Superman III. Affleck did a great job especially the Alfred scenes.

Needed a better reason for Batman and Superman to fight than his mom being kidnapped. Needed a better end to the fight than Martha. The plotting of the first half was a little haphazard but not as much as reviews made it out to be.
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    best Batman line: "You're not a god...you were never even a man!" or "Don't worry Martha, I'm a friend of your son."

and @dog037, they also had to fight because Batman wanted it. when he wrecked the Batmobile & ordered him not to answer the Batsignal anymore or he'd get squished, it was on...Martha or no Martha

i never thought i would be so satisfied to see Kal-el get his kal-ass kicked, but it's the only way they can be a team.

the IMax was great

dog037 said:

Better than Superman III.

This... does not inspire confidence.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited March 2016
    Yeah Superman was being a dick when he told Batman to stop. This website is accurate.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    The things I liked about the movie: Well, I enjoyed Gal Gadot's presence as Wonder Woman, and like any Zack Snyder films, it was beautifully shot. I also liked Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor. Eisenberg does a fantastic smartest-guy-in-the-room and they let him sell it. The notion of Ben Affleck as an older, more jaded Batman/Bruce Wayne.

The things I disliked about the movie: Lack of soul; the movie didn't have a beating heart, but a machine-built cog where humanity should have been. Superman-as-Christ imagery down to the Lance of Longinus, although I suppose on Easter weekend it kind of makes sense*. Everything about Wonder Woman's part felt like an ad for the future of the DC Extended Universe, and it's no coincidence that one of the lesser-regarded MCU movies was Iron Man 2, which felt more like an ad for the MCU than an actual Iron Man movie at times. I mean, why would top-secret classified files have iconic-looking logos for everyone? That bit with Flash screaming at Batfleck about something, which I don't think I understood even with the French subtitling for me to use as cross-reference, served what purpose in this movie? Why did Luthor bring about Doomsday?

The things I cracked up at, probably not as intended by the creators: The fact that both Clark's and Bruce's mothers are named Martha, which in retrospect meant that they had Thomas utter Martha's name in the Batman Origin Story Dream Sequence to remind the audience of that fact, and the very idea that Superman refers to his foster mother by her first name just so that they could make that work. Like, seriously, my entire theater row got a free massage because I did everything I could to not burst out laughing at that. The jar of piss.

Overall: Well, the movie did its job in selling me on the Wonder Woman movie. I'm glad I watched it in IMAX, because it was gorgeous. However, it also left me incredibly hollow. Zack Snyder has a fantastic eye, but I do not for the life of me understand why anyone thought it was a good idea to make him the manager of the DC Extended Universe.

*Not to mention the whole death-and-resurrection thing.
    dog037 said:

Yeah Superman was being a dick when he told Batman to stop. This website is accurate.

Hey, relevant.

• LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I liked the movie, but my biggest problem with the plot was just how fast Batman dropped his grudge. They spent the whole movie building it up while we watched Batman seethe at the false god, until we were all in with the Bat's path to destroy the super-dude. Then with one weak warbley "Mmmmmm....artha...", all is forgiven, the tortured soul sees the light, and the new fast-friend best-buddies save the world.

Other than that quick-flip, it was good.
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    so, nobody ever got what they thought they wanted, then said, "Hey, maybe this isn't such a good thing for me..."
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    I did enjoy the movie, but what did people think of that ending, and how long do you think Superman will stay "dead"? I'm guessing at, maybe, 1/2 the first Justice League film - when the plot inevitably stalls and needs kickstarting about halfway through - that will be the time for the "reveal", even if it can be seen coming from kilometers (or miles if you're one of those weird imperial using people) away.
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    yeah, when i heard Doomsday was a villain, i knew his thing was literally beating Superman to death. i thought they might try to pass it off as when he was rejuvenating in the sun up in the atmosphere, but they went through with it.

i say Supe reappears in the first half hour. somehow, he has to lose his all-consuming love for Lois with this trauma. super brain damage, maybe.
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited March 2016
    While I agree with a lot of the criticisms towards this, I actually liked the movie a lot.

I'm not sure what to think of Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. He was an interesting and different take on the character and he had his moments, but a lot of the time I was thinking "Okay, we get it, you're insane."
    Ben Affleck and Jeremy Irons were fantastic in the movie. I just wish they explained (more than the few subtle hints they give) why Batman kills now. The score by Junkie XL and Hans Zimmer was great and very fitting. The visuals were awesome. Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman was awesome. They did focus a bit too much on setting up Justice League. The characterization and pacing could have been better. I also didn't like the whole "I'm not gonna kill you because your mom has the same name as my mom" thing. Plus the film was a bit too bleak and could've used more heart. Overall though, I thought it was pretty good.

I'd say it's a solid 6.5-7/10 or a 3/5.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I'm still not interested in seeing the movie (which is why I'm just reading the spoilers) but I'm glad to see that many people found something to enjoy in it.

I'm more convinced than ever that I would have enjoyed a stand-alone Wonder Woman movie.

I'm not drinking peach tea any time soon.
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    my main gripe is, Luthor got bald because the prison shaved his head....malarkey!
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    Since this is the "Dawn Of Justice", can DC give us the "Sunrise Of Doom" about the foundation of the Legion Of Doom?

And they have to do a voice over the cuts ("Meanwhile ... at the Legion Of Doom")
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior

Since this is the "Dawn Of Justice", can DC give us the "Sunrise Of Doom" about the foundation of the Legion Of Doom?

And they have to do a voice over the cuts ("Meanwhile ... at the Legion Of Doom")

As long as the film has "SOLOMON GRUNDY WANT PANTS TOO!", I'm good.

Dusk... OF DOOOOM!
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    "Suicide Squad" is about the bad fighting the evil. i think they're going after the Joker in this movie, who is an on again-off again LOD member. maybe this will blossom into another total baddie film
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    it's national superhero day, so let's fight!

• calloycalloy Unsigned
    digital release on 6-28 with the extended cut coming in at 3 hours, 3 minutes
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    extended or "Ultimate" version is rated R
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    they're due
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited August 2016
    I'll be honest, I didn't read anything in this thread, but I just had to say.

I love superhero films, but after sitting down and watching BvS, I can safely say it's one of my least favorite movies of all time. I kept checking the clock every two or three minutes, and my dad's semi-detached interest in the film was the only thing that kept me from turning it off. It was just senseless drivel. Mad respect for all the people who worked really hard at making it, but the final product was simply subpar. In a world where the MCU exists, I have no reason to watch this movie again and I don't plan to.
  • dog037 said:

I felt like Superman's pope hat was one of many things missing in this film.

Overall, I enjoyed it. Plus the fact that Batman's parents are Negan & Maggie Green from The Walking Dead was an unintentionally funny way to start the film
    TheStuddz said:

I'll be honest, I didn't read anything in this thread, but I just had to say.

I love superhero films, but after sitting down and watching BvS, I can safely say it's one of my least favorite movies of all time. I kept checking the clock every two or three minutes, and my dad's semi-detached interest in the film was the only thing that kept me from turning it off. It was just senseless drivel. Mad respect for all the people who worked really hard at making it, but the final product was simply subpar. In a world where the MCU exists, I have no reason to watch this movie again and I don't plan to.

This is how I feel about The Last Stand.

I'm glad it brought us this chase scene though. Kitty Pryde is my favorite superhero.
  • calloycalloy Unsigned