Harmonix VR Survey has now Concluded!

edited May 2016 in Rock Band
Hey everyone! Harmonix is gathering data on all things VR, and we'd love for you to participate in our survey! If you've got a spare 5 minutes, please take some time to fill out our survey about VR. This survey is focused on upcoming Harmonix products as well as general awareness of virtual reality as an emerging platform.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Our VR survey has now closed. Thanks to all who participated and submitted feedback!

Comments

• Done, and Done

Also I'm just going to say now "I have an Xbox" when you look at my responses in the open form
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    I took the survey

It is kinda hard to give opinions about VR since I have not had the opportunity to try it out. And they are way too expensive to buy without knowing I will like it
  • tati81tati81 Opening Act
    Filled!
  • Completed!
  • VR delivers countless possibilities and next level immersion, but the price as it stands now is really expensive. Eventually VR will become more affordable and common in most households, but until then I don't know how popular VR will be. I can't wait to check it out though.
  • I wrote it's all about the potential
    And limitations

RB VR I'm not interested since it's only guitar
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    I found the Non-VR questions to be the ones I liked giving my responses to.

Excited to see what the community interest level is in HMX re-booting the Podcast (again!) and restarting Twitch streams. Those were probably my two favorite channels the old community team used.
  • Skydog91Skydog91 Unsigned
    Posted my results. Needless to say they will be very bummed with my answers pertaining VR.
  • I did the survey. I don't know about or care about VR. Probably not helpful, just being truthful. I like the regular RB experience.
  • NavyCherubNavyCherub Unsigned
    Asking which we are "primarily" then saying we can click however many we want to seems a bit contradictory. I clicked a whole bunch of them before deciding to value the "primarily" more and only choose a few (basically valuing the solo/score chasing ones over the local party ones).
  • Posted. Don't give a **** about vr, and made it clear.
  • Hellion4242Hellion4242 Opening Act
    I wanted to reference the Terry Pratchet short story on VR over-immersion in the survey, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. And my google-fu is weak. And my book is in the other room.
  • WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, I'm all for getting the podcast up and running again! Maybe with like special guests (including us from the community maybe)?

VR sounds cool, but the entry cost is pretty steep right now, so I answered those questions with that in mind.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    From the survey I'm gathering that the VR component will only work with the Oculus Rift?

If it doesn't work with the PlayStation VR headset it's useless to me and that's seriously disappointing Harmonix. We're talking about $400-$600 hardware here. We can't afford to buy different headsets for each game.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited May 2016
    I don't have any VR capabilities on-hand or pre-ordered, not yet, not even "Google Cardboard" (some version of which would apparently work with my Nexus 6P). Though it doesn't come with a head strap, and that's on purpose: they don't want you using it for any longer than you can comfortably hold it to you forehead, with you arms. Huh! That's ... ominous.

But I tried out several VR technologies at Sundance, back in January, and it's something everyone should try if they can, absolutely. Samsung Gear VR was impossible to focus completely, I guess the pixels are just too big, but it was still fun. Oculus was great, though even after 5 minutes my head started getting warm behind that rubber mask. The Vive was so clear and amazing that I would have kept playing with it for a long time, well past the time when discomfort set in (which would have happened eventually, long before I would have ended a typical Rock Band session), because it was just so amazing. I'd be thrilled to get any of those products for free, and I'd use them, but .. they are not free. Or even cheap. Or even "sort of reasonable".

How much would I have to spend on a PC that could run those latter two, even before I bought the device itself? Maybe the total would add up to as much as I've spent on Rock Band over the past 4-5 years? Ooof. For something I might play for up to 30 minutes a day, 3-5 times a week, if I found a set of games / apps that I was completely in love with, like something that was "game of the year" quality ? Hmmm.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    Graffin said:

From the survey I'm gathering that the VR component will only work with the Oculus Rift?

If it doesn't work with the PlayStation VR headset it's useless to me and that's seriously disappointing Harmonix. We're talking about $400-$600 hardware here. We can't afford to buy different headsets for each game.

Correct, Oculus is paying for the development, so they get exclusivity. RB-VR may never have been made without the support of Oculus...
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

I don't have any VR capabilities on-hand or pre-ordered, not yet, not even "Google Cardboard" (some version of which would apparently work with my Nexus 6P). Though it doesn't come with a head strap, and that's on purpose: they don't want you using it for any longer than you can comfortably hold it to you forehead, with you arms. Huh! That's ... ominous.

That's because they're using screens that weren't intended for use with VR, and are more likely to cause you headaches during long-term use.

Some sort of standardization of VR equipment would be nice, but I suppose modern VR is too early in its infancy to establish standards quite yet.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Oculus needs there to be at least one "killer app", and Rock Band VR might just be the best use of this technology. So it's smart of them to pay for it. It would be too big of a gamble for Harmonix to fund on its own, in my mind. I hope this pays off big for both of them.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    I had preordered a PSVR, but I recently cancelled. I'm still interested, I just realized I'm not early adopter level interested. I'm going to try and work though some of my backlog first.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    GRRRUMBLE said:

I ride the bus and try to catch a pretty girls eye , I need to lie on my back on the floor because they all have their heads buried into their phones staring down until it's time to get off.

I don't know how to tell you this, but those girls really don't give a crap about what's going on their phones. They're just ignoring you.
  • I don't think I'd heard of Harmonix Music VR for PlayStation®VR before taking the survey. Or maybe I did, but assumed they were talking about Rock Band VR. I did know that Rock Band VR was not going to be on PlayStation®VR. And that I wasn't interested in it in any case.

But now, after viewing the Harmonix Music VR video in the survey.... I'm still not sure what it is.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    It's WinAmp Visualization.... just REALLY close to your eyes.
  • I never use Winamp. I'm sticking with Sonique.

You. Lawn. Off.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    Survey taken. I was tempted to mark "Other" when asked, "What VR consoles do you own?" but I decided the Nintendo Virtual Boy probably doesn't count.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    BachiG said:

It's WinAmp Visualization.... just REALLY close to your eyes.

but does it whip the llama's ass?

well, maybe it does when you play Llama.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star

Graffin said:

This is literally the 25 year old console debate with different nouns.
    You're absolutely right. It is like MS vs PS. It's a pity they won't support the PlayStation VR, but at least it's more fair this time and they're not going with a Microsoft branded one.

Isn't oculus way more expensive though?

I didn't really know what to make of that video. If I was up on stage looking out at the crowd and seeing my band members come to life around me then it would be awesome, but it just looks like some trippy visualisations... So, I don't feel too shattered that my VR won't work with it.
This discussion has been closed.