Where can I try out VR?

Delibird444Delibird444 Opening Act
I'm becoming more and more interested in PlayStation VR (over the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift, mainly due to cost). Does anyone know where I could potentially try out a VR headset in person?

These things really need demo units. :(

Comments

• TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior

I'm becoming more and more interested in PlayStation VR (over the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift, mainly due to cost). Does anyone know where I could potentially try out a VR headset in person?

These things really need demo units. :(

I imagine Best Buy should be getting some demo units soon-ish.
  • Storm360Storm360 Unsigned
    I'm not american but from what I hear some GameStops have demos of the HTC Vive available, PSVR has only been available to demo at expos for now.
  • HMXMudryHMXMudry Unsigned
    As of now, I've noticed lots of VR at shows (PAX, PSX, etc.), and are probably in my opinion the best way to get hands on for a *ton* of games at once. Sony usually does appointments at their booths via their PlayStation mobile app so make sure to book them as soon as the show starts. Unsure on anything at retail stores, but I wouldn't be surprised as trying VR in person is the best way to convey how awesome VR is!
    HMXMudry said:

As of now, I've noticed lots of VR at shows (PAX, PSX, etc.), and are probably in my opinion the best way to get hands on for a *ton* of games at once. Sony usually does appointments at their booths via their PlayStation mobile app so make sure to book them as soon as the show starts. Unsure on anything at retail stores, but I wouldn't be surprised as trying VR in person is the best way to convey how awesome VR is!

This just reminded me, Sony's running a tour right now: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/road-to-greatness/

Once you're there, to try VR faster, tweet @HeyPlaystation that you want to try PSVR and show the tweet to the attendant at the van.
  • Delibird444Delibird444 Opening Act
    edited June 2016
    Thanks guys!

Sadly the Road to Greatness tour isn't coming near the Mid-Atlantic, nearest stop being Chattanooga. That won't do. :(

I've seen Samsung reps demoing their Gear units at our local Best Buy and US Cellular stores, but I'm always cautious with those. I don't want to try a totally crappy headset and form a negative opinion from the start. How different are those from units like PSVR?
    HMXMudry said:

I kick myself endlessly for turning down free tickets to PAX this year. Stupid, stupid. (@GNFfhqwhgads tried, but I was stubborn with money and scared of taking a day off work. NEVER LET ME MISS THAT AGAIN, GUYS.)
    DON'T. MISS. PAX. AGAIN. @DELIBIRD444!
    HMXMudry said:

DON'T. MISS. PAX. AGAIN. @DELIBIRD444!

Arcanon got me a pass for South, but I got sick last minute and had to pass the pass onto someone else.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    edited June 2016
    Hey HMXMudry, will this VR game work with the PlayStation VR hardware?

It's just that when it was discussed on the Harmonix Forums, it was suggested it would only support the Oculus Rift VR hardware... has that changed now?

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/263577/harmonix-vr-survey-has-now-concluded/p1
    Graffin said:

Hey HMXMudry, will this VR game work with the PlayStation VR hardware?

It's just that when it was discussed on the Harmonix Forums, it was suggested it would only support the Oculus Rift VR hardware... has that changed now?

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/263577/harmonix-vr-survey-has-now-concluded/p1

Rock Band VR is only Oculus
    HMX Music VR is only PSVR
  • It was only from filling out that survey a month ago that I realized there were two different Harmonix VR projects.
    So guess what?! You can actually try out PSVR at some Best Buys and GameStops starting this weekend. Sony just posted some cool details on all of that: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/06/16/playstation-vr-demos-coming-to-retailers-nationwide-starting-tomorrow/

FYI - the games on that list are *really* cool.
    @HMXMudry I finally got a chance to try out a PSVR! Had some time to kill so I drove quite a ways out to the nearest station.

I played Super Hyper Cube and loved it. It didn't look like a game that would be fun or even suited for VR, but I was impressed. It was a simple, fast paced game, but it made so much sense that I was full-steam ahead after the first couple of barriers. Being able to peek around the side of the block seems like such a minimal use of VR, but it adds so much.

I'm still not feeling early adopter confident. I have too much of a backlog to justify 400-500 on something I'll play infrequently, but it's definitely caught my interest again, and I'll probably pick one up after it gets a good library going.
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    Best Buys are demoing PSVR on select days this month.

I tried it yesterday and it was my first VR experience ever. Then I quickly learned about HTC Vive.

I walked out with an HTC Vive in hand that night excited as ever..
    @tubadud49 Ahh Super Hyper Cube!!! That looks like a really fun PSVR title. Haven't tried it yet, but have been chatting with the team over there and watching videos/people play it at events. Need to get my hands on it.

Glad you got to try the PSVR! You should keep an eye out, as Sony should be adding more titles over time to the retail demos.

@joseph5185 What have you picked up for your Vive? There's some really cool titles on that as well. I'm a huuuuge fan of the Budget Cuts demo that's out. Probably one of my favorite thing to play on the Vive currently.

HMXMudry said:
    LOL!
    I'm a total dud. :

(
    HMXMudry said:

Glad you got to try the PSVR! You should keep an eye out, as Sony should be adding more titles over time to the retail demos.

What I need right now is for them to add stores! Nearest one is 90 miles away! I only made the trek because I needed to kill a few hours for something in an even smaller town.
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    HMXMudry said:

@tubadud49 Ahh Super Hyper Cube!!! That looks like a really fun PSVR title. Haven't tried it yet, but have been chatting with the team over there and watching videos/people play it at events. Need to get my hands on it.

@joseph5185 What have you picked up for your Vive? There's some really cool titles on that as well. I'm a huuuuge fan of the Budget Cuts demo that's out. Probably one of my favorite thing to play on the Vive currently.

@HMXMudry,

We have a few titles already. Raw Data just came out and it seems to be all the craze right now. Fruit Ninja is incredibly fun as is Space Pirate Trainer. I've played around some with The Lab and we just got a brand new GTX 1070 so we downloaded the Fun House that Nvidia put out. I haven't experienced it yet, but my girl friend said it was awesome.

Umm.. Theblu is a really cool experience and Audioshield (of course) is a must. We did the mods for both Google Play and the rhythm.

Btw ---
    This comes out tomorrow -- for free!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/07/16/star-wars-vr-game-trials-on-tatooine-will-release-on-htc-vive-for-free.aspx

• thanks to share this post