[Discussion Thread] Rivals Mode Feature Details

Comments

• tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited September 2016
    Hey wait a minute! I actually noticed something cool! I don't know if anyone's pointed this out yet or not, but song ratings are back

Not only that, but it looks like you can set specific ratings for each instrument (not just one overall rating like RB3).

Also album art is slightly bigger (not as big as RB2 or 3 though) and The Cure is set to New Wave now (pretty sure they were Alternative before).

But yeah, song ratings yay!
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited September 2016
    Well we've known for a long time now song ratngs would be back, but the instrument specific part is new (if this turns out to be what it looks like).
  • Well like I said, the differences if any would be most notable with a large library. Even something like just a screenshot showing all the Disturbed songs in RB currently would give a huge amount of info like the following.
    - Album sorting: Is it identical to RB4? Is there the album title sub-headings for 2/3+ songs from pre-RB4? Are the albums sorted by name or year?
    - Disc songs: When sorting by Date Acquired, are legacy disc songs still mixed in with normal DLC? The "4" is gone, does that mean RB4 songs are also mixed in with normal DLC?
  • MemoDLSGMemoDLSG Opening Act
    Sorry to rain on rating-per-instrument people's parade but,
    HMXJosh said:

Hey all, clarifying what that means:
    It's not separate ratings by instrument, but rather which player is "controlling" the library, and it's their ratings for each song. (This also helps identify whose star ratings are showing, FC icons, etc.)

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/50vyrq/song_ratings_are_now_tied_to_individual/d78a4dk

• EvilTrovisEvilTrovis Unsigned
    edited September 2016
    Josh actually dismissed the idea that the ratings are individual per instrument on Reddit. Rather, it just means it's showing the ratings for whoever is on that instrument. So in that screenshot, because it shows the vocals icon, it just means it's showing the ratings that the vocalist gave that song, not what the player gave that song "for vocals".

Seeing that the difficulty tier indicators are closer together to make room for the ratings, I'm hopeful we can see song length get added back to this menu. It looks like there's enough space after the genre.

Edit: I see I got beat by @MemoDLSG. I knew I shouldn't have kept proofreading and rewriting my comment!
  • MemoDLSG said:

Sorry to rain on rating-per-instrument people's parade but,

HMXJosh said:

Hey all, clarifying what that means:
    It's not separate ratings by instrument, but rather which player is "controlling" the library, and it's their ratings for each song. (This also helps identify whose star ratings are showing, FC icons, etc.)

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/50vyrq/song_ratings_are_now_tied_to_individual/d78a4dk

No skin off my back but I know several people were asking for that.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited September 2016

Edit: I see I got beat by @MemoDLSG. I knew I shouldn't have kept proofreading and rewriting my comment!

AEGrhk aero adgrjkl sdrjkdui setuse4tl sdruklsrgmnfm. Ajnsdle sddbn sejksek?

Seeing that the difficulty tier indicators are closer together to make room for the ratings, I'm hopeful we can see song length get added back to this menu. It looks like there's enough space after the genre.

Yeah, I miss seeing song length. Especially since some songs have different versions (radio edit, album version, extended album version, etc) so sometimes it's helpful. Plus it's always good to know what you're getting into so someone at a party doesn't accidentally select a 12 minute song.

Heard it Through the Grapevine? That's a classic. Let's pick that.

Exactly the song I was thinking of. Or picking "I Will Possess Your Heart" by Death Cab for Cutie, expecting the 4 minute radio version, instead of the nearly 9 minute album cut.
  • tdc002 said:

Exactly the song I was thinking of. Or picking "I Will Possess Your Heart" by Death Cab for Cutie, expecting the 4 minute radio version, instead of the nearly 9 minute album cut.
    Just imagine if we got Halloween by Helloween. The edit is 5 minutes long, the full version is 13 minutes.
  • tdc002 said:

Although it's less likely for mistakes, imagine someone picking 2112 when they were expecting the single version (Overture/The Temples of Syrinx).

tdc002 said:

Uh, our version of I Will Possess Your Heart is like, 5 minutes, no?
    Oh yeah, just found a video, our version is 5:27. What the hell version is that? According to Wikipedia, the album version is 8:25, the radio edit is 4:08, and there's a 10" single version that's 4:54.
  • tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

Uh, our version of I Will Possess Your Heart is like, 5 minutes, no?
    Oh yeah, just found a video, our version is 5:27. What the hell version is that? According to Wikipedia, the album version is 8:25, the radio edit is 4:08, and there's a 10" single version that's 4:54.
    It's a special edit, much like our version of Franz Ferdinand's Lucid Dreams.
  • MemoDLSG said:

Rivals mode sounds interesting.

Frustrated that we finally have an RB Companion App and it's not "here's the songs I own, look at the list while the others play" for parties.

This.
    x1000.

In general - I'm impressed with the detail being put into the Rivals mode, and the companion app looks like a good idea too.. None of it is what I'm looking for though..

I've been wanting an app where others can browse your library and cue up the next song for a LONG time now.. Idk if it's even possible - but it's the only app I want.

MemoDLSG said:

Rivals mode sounds interesting.

Frustrated that we finally have an RB Companion App and it's not "here's the songs I own, look at the list while the others play" for parties.

This.
    x1000.

In general - I'm impressed with the detail being put into the Rivals mode, and the companion app looks like a good idea too.. None of it is what I'm looking for though..

I've been wanting an app where others can browse your library and cue up the next song for a LONG time now.. Idk if it's even possible - but it's the only app I want.
    Definitely not possible. The game isn't powerful enough to let your scroll the library and queue songs while playing the game. How would you sync your phone/tablet to your console? The only way I could see it working (at least on Xbox) would be if they did it through Smartglass, and even then, that only works on Windows operating systems (which isn't a huge share of the tablet/phone market, so it would be a huge waste of time). Does Playstation even have an equivalent to smartglass? Sony just got into smartphones a few years ago, and their tablets sell way worse than Microsoft's (that's not to say Microsoft's sell well either).
  • You can get Xbox Smartglass on non-Windows devices. I have the app on my Android phone, and while I don't really ever use it, I know it can be used to navigate around my Xbox One. I know PlayStation also has an app.
  • xzeldax3xzeldax3 Opening Act
    I'm really surprised that I haven't seen any footage from PAX yet. I am hoping for a glimpse of the pre-order DLC!
  • xzeldax3xzeldax3 Opening Act

xzeldax3 said:

I'm really surprised that I haven't seen any footage from PAX yet. I am hoping for a glimpse of the pre-order DLC!

That's on the stream Monday
    I meant footage from fans who went to the booth.
  • I can see weekly challenges having an influence on what legacy DLC I buy that week. I'm very keen for Rivals. Should be fun.
  • A big woot for being able to set ratings by instruments! I really liked being able to set ratings but the usefulness was limited because often I wouldn't know what instrument I set it for.
  • A big woot for being able to set ratings by instruments! I really liked being able to set ratings but the usefulness was limited because often I wouldn't know what instrument I set it for.

You can't set them by instrument. HmxJosh clarified that the symbol is just who is "controlling" the library.
  • Mr. TateMr. Tate Road Warrior
    tdc002 said:

Definitely not possible. The game isn't powerful enough to let your scroll the library and queue songs while playing the game. How would you sync your phone/tablet to your console?

The same way a companion app syncs to your game data. The game itself has little to do with anything a companion app does, it's all about server-side magic.
    Mr. Tate said:

tdc002 said:

Definitely not possible. The game isn't powerful enough to let your scroll the library and queue songs while playing the game. How would you sync your phone/tablet to your console?

The same way a companion app syncs to your game data. The game itself has little to do with anything a companion app does, it's all about server-side magic.
    I think you're making a lot of assumptions about what the game can/should do. No game so far has allowed you to add songs to a setlist mid-setlist. You make a list of songs, and you play that list. It's not like music streaming where you can just add songs to a queue while a song is currently playing. The game needs processing power so you can actually play the game part of Rock Band.
  • Mr. TateMr. Tate Road Warrior
    tdc002 said:

I think you're making a lot of assumptions about what the game can/should do. No game so far has allowed you to add songs to a setlist mid-setlist. You make a list of songs, and you play that list. It's not like music streaming where you can just add songs to a queue while a song is currently playing. The game needs processing power so you can actually play the game part of Rock Band.

When I read
    tdc002 said:

The game isn't powerful enough to let your scroll the library and queue songs while playing the game.

I thought you meant that the game isn't able to handle adding songs to a queue while you play. I see that actually it's adding songs to the current queue of songs you're playing, so the problem is not that game can't multitask, it's that the current queue might be locked. However, it's not a matter of processing power, it's a matter of loading logic, and that logic is the same that handles encores. And since we have encores, songs which data cannot be preloaded (thus pointing to the fact that data for each song is loaded when the song comes up and not before), I think adding songs to the queue while playing could definitely be handled.
  • tdc002 said:

With RB3 you could make setlists on the website and then import them into the game when you synced between sets. So really we were able to do that exact thing in RB3, although I never heard of anybody with a computer or laptop in their living room doing that. Mainly because you scrolled the list of all songs, not just owned songs.

So if we could get shared setlists and web created setlists back, then making the app show only your owned songs we could do this at parties.

But then again, this is the "Rivals App" and song management during local-play RB parties doesn't really seem like a Rivals type of activity.

You can't set them by instrument. HmxJosh clarified that the symbol is just who is "controlling" the library.
    You're crushing my dreams! =o(