[Discussion Thread] Rivals Mode Feature Details

Comments

• tdc002 said:

Definitely not possible. The game isn't powerful enough to let your scroll the library and queue songs while playing the game. How would you sync your phone/tablet to your console?

With RB3 you could make setlists on the website and then import them into the game when you synced between sets. So really we were able to do that exact thing in RB3, although I never heard of anybody with a computer or laptop in their living room doing that. Mainly because you scrolled the list of all songs, not just owned songs.

So if we could get shared setlists and web created setlists back, then making the app show only your owned songs we could do this at parties.

But then again, this is the "Rivals App" and song management during local-play RB parties doesn't really seem like a Rivals type of activity.
    This sounds good.
    This is what I want - for parties.. Check out the app while u wait your turn..
    Or even for before parties - I could send my list out to everyone via the app, and people could create their own 4-song setlist ahead of time.. When the party starts - all those setlists are already created in-game.. Turn it on and play.. Efficiency.
  • How did the 360 Dance Central games work with smartglass? I remember something about creating setlists using that setup though I don't remember whether you could pick songs while other songs were being played.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior

A big woot for being able to set ratings by instruments! I really liked being able to set ratings but the usefulness was limited because often I wouldn't know what instrument I set it for.

You can't set them by instrument. HmxJosh clarified that the symbol is just who is "controlling" the library.
    You're crushing my dreams! =o(
    no... he's crushing your head!

• wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    edited September 2016
    after reading about all the newly released details the thing I am most excited to see on day one is what my instrument rating is.

its something I have always wondered when playing other rock band games and now ill finally be able to know.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    tdc002 said:

MemoDLSG said:

Rivals mode sounds interesting.

Frustrated that we finally have an RB Companion App and it's not "here's the songs I own, look at the list while the others play" for parties.

This.
    x1000.

In general - I'm impressed with the detail being put into the Rivals mode, and the companion app looks like a good idea too.. None of it is what I'm looking for though..

I've been wanting an app where others can browse your library and cue up the next song for a LONG time now.. Idk if it's even possible - but it's the only app I want.
    Definitely not possible. The game isn't powerful enough to let your scroll the library and queue songs while playing the game. How would you sync your phone/tablet to your console? The only way I could see it working (at least on Xbox) would be if they did it through Smartglass, and even then, that only works on Windows operating systems (which isn't a huge share of the tablet/phone market, so it would be a huge waste of time). Does Playstation even have an equivalent to smartglass? Sony just got into smartphones a few years ago, and their tablets sell way worse than Microsoft's (that's not to say Microsoft's sell well either).
    Sony's had companion apps working since the start.

The MGSV companion app is great. You've got the whole map at your fingertips, you can set waypoints, call in supply drops and airstrikes, etc. all with no noticeable lag. HMX could make something similar if they were so inclined.
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    Looking good! Just curious, we are still getting a regular 'Band Quickplay' multiplayer mode, are we? Haven't seen any screenshots or mention of it..
  • itzJV said:

Looking good! Just curious, we are still getting a regular 'Band Quickplay' multiplayer mode, are we? Haven't seen any screenshots or mention of it..

Uhhhh, there's already a Quickplay?
    He means with synchronous online multiplayer.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    itzJV said:

If you mean online multiplayer, that's not part of Rivals. That's not coming until like November/December.
  • LongawayLongaway Opening Act
    tdc002 said:

Mr. Tate said:

tdc002 said:

Definitely not possible. The game isn't powerful enough to let your scroll the library and queue songs while playing the game. How would you sync your phone/tablet to your console?

The same way a companion app syncs to your game data. The game itself has little to do with anything a companion app does, it's all about server-side magic.
    I think you're making a lot of assumptions about what the game can/should do. No game so far has allowed you to add songs to a setlist mid-setlist. You make a list of songs, and you play that list. It's not like music streaming where you can just add songs to a queue while a song is currently playing. The game needs processing power so you can actually play the game part of Rock Band.
    Hasn't SingStar been doing this for years, first on the PSP, then through a smartphone app?
    Longaway said:

tdc002 said:

Mr. Tate said:

tdc002 said:

The same way a companion app syncs to your game data. The game itself has little to do with anything a companion app does, it's all about server-side magic.
    I think you're making a lot of assumptions about what the game can/should do. No game so far has allowed you to add songs to a setlist mid-setlist. You make a list of songs, and you play that list. It's not like music streaming where you can just add songs to a queue while a song is currently playing. The game needs processing power so you can actually play the game part of Rock Band.
    Hasn't SingStar been doing this for years, first on the PSP, then through a smartphone app?
    SingStar is a much, much simpler game than Rock Band.
  • Do all members of a crew have to be on the same team, i.e. Team Digital or Analog?
  • baumpaul said:

Do all members of a crew have to be on the same team, i.e. Team Digital or Analog?

I think the crews are the teams so like with Team Digital vs. Team Analog, that was 2 crews facing off against each other.
  • baumpaul said:

Do all members of a crew have to be on the same team, i.e. Team Digital or Analog?

I think the crews are the teams so like with Team Digital vs. Team Analog, that was 2 crews facing off against each other.
    Ah, so those two were just the names of two exemplary crews, got it. Thanks
  • baumpaul said:

Everyone in a Crew has to be on the same team if those teams are Xbox players or Playstation players, but otherwise no.
  • tdc002 said:

Mr. Tate said:

tdc002 said:

Wrong, Dance Central 3 allowed this very thing via Xbox SmartGlass.

tdc002 said:

Mr. Tate said:

tdc002 said:

Dance Central 3 is also not Rock Band.
  • tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

Mr. Tate said:

tdc002 said:

Dance Central 3 is also not Rock Band.
    It's about as close as you can get to Rock Band without actually being Rock Band. Same studio, same genre, same tools, same hands. The people that coded the SmartGlass integration for Dance Central 3 might even still be there working on Rivals.

You can't say "no game so far" has allowed this when games actually have done this, including one by the same studio.
  • So are we getting new achievements/trophies for this expansion? Just making sure those are still on the table?
  • So are we getting new achievements/trophies for this expansion? Just making sure those are still on the table?

Yes.
  • Is there a breakdown somewhere on how the number of players in a crew effects score/XP percentile? Or, does it have any effect?

For example: Is there a difference between having a Crew of 10 people, where only 7 participate, versus having a crew of 7 where everybody participates? If these 2 Crews got the same scores and played the same number of songs, would the 7/7 rank higher on the promotion-meter than the 7/10, or would they be the same?
  • I have a suggestion. Can there be some kind of indicator that shows us what weekly challenge songs we have already played during the current weekly challenge? The idea I have is that the Weekly Challenge indicator at the left of the song can be a different color when the song has been played? should't take too much programming? when i come back to play challenge songs I forget where I was with which instrument.