MuteSirensMuteSirens Unsigned
edited February 2008 in Less Rokk More Talk
How big is you Music Library?

mine is around 14GB
:p

Comments

• zolonzolon Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    1.7TB.. yes.. TerraByte.. beleive it or not, I actually own every CD, Tape, Vinal.

Oh, and some of that is home made music. Private label.
  • BrandonCGSBrandonCGS Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Pretty small

1.9GB, 422 songs
  • DethBoxxDethBoxx Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    141 GB

Fits on my iPod!
  • kaneruleskanerules Rising Star
    edited January 2008
    between 500-600gbs

Edit:
    Oh, I thought we were just referring to stuff currently on our computer/ipod :P Well besides the above stated amount, I've got approximately 200+ records, and a handful of cassettes. :D
  • HPLabonteHPLabonte Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    about 40gb on my laptop, 80gb on my desktop w/about a 20gb overlap, so probably 100gb, + cds i havent ripped yet + about 50 vinyl records
  • lithiumkclithiumkc Rising Star
    edited January 2008
    25 gigs in itunes...

By far the person with the most insane music collection i ever saw would be my dad though. I don't know if anybody remembers Sony Minidiscs, but even after a lot of advising against using them for fear of them becoming obsolete (Good god, this was when CD burners started to become easily accessible.. couldn't explain that to him back in the day though.. for those who don't know, they're essentially blank tapes, but they look like a mini CD inside a floppy disc) he used them religiously.. had probably over 400-500 of them stored in cases. Plus boxes and boxes of tapes, TONS of vinyls he got rid of...

Gave him a big 'told you so' when he finally stopped buying minidiscs though. What a frickin joke those things were :p
  • IconIcon Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    2/30 gigs on my ipod
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited January 2008
    34 gb on my Ipod

Plus, about 75 33 1/3 rpmVinyl, 50 45 rpm vinyl, 50 CDs

all in excellent shape
  • MissTeyaMissTeya Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    94.91GB

Too big for my ipod, and too small for me. :(
  • edited January 2008
    I got about 40 gig's on my computer and about 400 cd's!
    Only about 3 gig's on my ipod i don't listen to it much!
  • ChaoticChaotic Unsigned
    edited January 2008
  • FallenAceFallenAce Eater of Fine Cheeses
    edited January 2008
    Ha! I win! My 10.3 GB fit nicely on my first-edition Zune.
  • c3ntrfugec3ntrfuge Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    i am just shy of 82gigs on my mac :)
  • MrGrievesMrGrieves Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    according to itunes I've got 16.74 GB worth of music, I also have about 350-400 CDs and 20 vinyl records
  • ExayleExayle Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    12.01 GB. 2348 Songs. 6.2 Days.
    I should clarify, right off the bat, that I'm not a "scene kid" who pretends to love every band and musical genre, and thus competes with friends to see who can pirate the most 'Tunes. Everything in my library is stuff I listen to and am quite fond of [and further, has playcounts... that is, they don't sit in the corner and accumulate digital dust]. I'm always on the look-out for new groups and what not... but I won't have a band or album reside in my library just for the sake of being there. And for what it's worth, it takes me a long while to "get bored" with an artist. That being said...

You folks with 90 GB [or 1.7 TB]...
    - Is all of your music saved as giant .MP3 files?
    - Do you listen to all of that music, song per song?

Honest truth; I could identify 99% of my 2,300 songs if you gave me a 05 second music clip to listen to. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but you folks who think it's embarrassing to only have 12 GB of music; no. I listen to music for the sake of listening to music -- not to pretend I'm some musical elitest with 90 GB of tunes.

Note; I'm not ragging on those of you with 90 GB of music. I'm sure you listen to and love every song in your library. Just saying that music, in my opinion, should be about the sound - not a competition to stack up GBs of files.
  • gbvinesgbvines Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    Around 5 Gb.

-Also *high-fives Exayle*
  • The_WurmThe_Wurm Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    The size of my penis?

About 9 Gb.
  • vsTerminusvsTerminus Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    How about some picture proof people.
    My music folder

Roughly 14.5 thousand songs. Takes up over 112GB of space.

Keep in mind my stats got reset in September this year when I installed a new Linux distribution.
    Also, the number of Genres is way off, I typically don't bother to correct Genre tags.
    Albums will also be a little high due to double-disc albums being listed as two seperate albums.
    edited February 2008
    Exayle;297609 said:

You folks with 90 GB [or 1.7 TB]...
    - Is all of your music saved as giant .MP3 files?
    - Do you listen to all of that music, song per song?
    - Yes and no. MP3 is currently a very versatile format, in that everything supports it. I also have a handful FLAC albums.
    Is all of your music stored in horrid quality aac files?
    I try to keep a minimum bitrate of 192k in my music. Does quality matter to you at all?

- Yes. Want to be the judge of that yourself? My Last.FM Userpage says that I've listened to over 30,000 songs since Christmas 2006. Now that doesn't include the three months in 2006 and in 2007 that I was gone tree planting.
    Let me give you a run down of how that works.
    Wake up 6 am get out of my tent. Pack a lunch and get in the van. 1 hour ride to the block, 10 hour work day, 1 hour ride home. I listen to a solid 10 hours of music on my iPod out there every day. (80GB iPod, holds 10k songs + some movies). None of those songs get added to Last.FM.
    So on a season with 60 working days (typical) I listen to 6 thousand songs that aren't listed. So when you look at the 33,000 songs on my page, add 12,000 to it. For a nice total of 45,000 listens since Christmas 2006. That's everything in my playlist 3 times and then some.

Honest truth; I could identify 99% of my 2,300 songs if you gave me a 05 second music clip to listen to. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but you folks who think it's embarrassing to only have 12 GB of music; no. I listen to music for the sake of listening to music -- not to pretend I'm some musical elitest with 90 GB of tunes.
    Honest truth? So can I. Maybe not name the title instantly, but on my iPod's music quiz, you get 5 seconds to identify which song is playing from a list of 5.
    I do pretty damn good with it.

Note; I'm not ragging on those of you with 90 GB of music. I'm sure you listen to and love every song in your library. Just saying that music, in my opinion, should be about the sound - not a competition to stack up GBs of files.
    You've contradicted yourself my friend.
    You previously called MP3 files "big", and MP3 files are by no means quality sound.
    If music is about the sound, is it not also about the quality?
    I would expect you to have more FLAC in your collection.

I do see your point though. Many people with large music collections don't listen to most of it, and just collect for the sake of collecting.
    I just hope to prove that there are exceptions to that rule and that I am one of them.
  • ExayleExayle Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    I'm well aware there are exceptions to everything in life. I knew that from the start, and I no way meant to imply that my opinion was the 100%-truth. I'm willing to bet there are people out there who live and breathe music, and are surrounded by different artists ~16/24 hours of the day. I don't doubt that, at all. I would say you are of a minory, however - someone who has a lot of music for the sake of listening to it.

To answer your question; yes, I go for quality. I don't go out of my way to ensure I have audio-ambrosia, but I'll definitely shoot for the higher file size when I hunt for tunes. I can count the number of .M4A/AAC albums I have on one hand.

In my opinion, music library should be measured by number of tracks and/or length of all those songs. [Both of which are easily seen for anyone who uses iTunes]. As has been made clear, simply saying you have 50 GB can mean a few different things, depending on the quality of your music.
  • DirrtyBirdDirrtyBird Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    I have close to 80gb. My Ipod is full(all music)and i still have a lot more CDs to put on it.
    edited February 2008
    Exayle;298924 said:

In my opinion, music library should be measured by number of tracks and/or length of all those songs. [Both of which are easily seen for anyone who uses iTunes].
    Any decent media player will show you stats like that with relative ease.
    Windows Media Player is not a decent player, just for the record ;)
    I'm a Linux user, and so I couldn't give a **** about iTunes, and instead I use Amarok to play my music. It seems to do everything extremely well and is far more customizable both in appearance and functionality than iTunes is ever going to be. :)

As has been made clear, simply saying you have 50 GB can mean a few different things, depending on the quality of your music.
    Absolutely true.
    I only have maybe 5 FLAC albums in total, but there's about 3GB of music right there.
    In MP3 that could be several hundred songs, considering my largest MP3 files are around 10MB each and smallest around 4MB.
    For those who keep 128kbps MP3s (Radio quality) or smaller file types, it could be close to 2,000 songs.

But because file sizes vary I always list my total track count along with the file size.
  • DethBoxxDethBoxx Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    I have a huge music library to match my huge music taste. It's essential when you love many many many different genres of music.
  • DestromasDestromas Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    40ish GB. Size means nothing. If your bit rate is 64 kbps, then 40gb would be a lot, but seeing as most people probably have somewhere between 128-192 and true audiophiles with 320, I don't see the point in talking size. And unless you do record, a Terabyte of music is pretty stupid. Just makes you a collector with about 800 GB of music you don't listen to.
    edited February 2008
    Destromas;300727 said:
    but seeing as most people probably have somewhere between 128-192 and true audiophiles with 320.

Not to be picky or anything but a true audiophile would have an entire library of FLAC or other lossless codec.