Wtf Is Red Octane And Activision Thinkin!!!

mohkillamohkilla Opening Act
edited August 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
has anyone seen this?!!?!?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Hero_3#Character_cast

and to let you know what i mean by what they are thinking..you can go to that wiki page or look at this!!

it seems like the ppl over at Guitar Hero 3 are ready to fight this fight!?!?

they got metallica and i thought they were exclusive..and a way better song than sandman...dont get me wrong..but sandman is an awesome song..but One is way better.

will Rockband Do better than this Awesome Looking Setlist??

dont get me wrong i love rockband, but the GH has slowly been taking my vote...

"3's and 7's" ? Queens of the Stone Age[27]
"Barracuda" ? Heart
"Cherub Rock" ? Smashing Pumpkins
"Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll" ? Blue

Comments

• edited August 2007
    Wait, the thread name is "Wtf Is Red Octane And Activision Thinkin!!!". That would imply theyre making bad decision, but u seem for what theyre doing?

Also this is ooooollld news and theres already a bunch of threads about it.
  • mohkillamohkilla Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    oh really? damn well im a little slow, i swear about a day ago i checked it and it only said one new song...number of the beast...i check today and there is Raining Blood and One..and then a bunch of songs from this game.
  • RattleheadRattlehead Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    I don't really get why they are mixing the same songs from Rock Band into GH3 or if it was the other way around and Rock Band announced them first, but I GH is doing better with a setlitst so far.

But we are still waiting on more Rock Band songs other than lame download content like Nirvana and The Who.
    edited August 2007
    Rattlehead;32180 said:
    I don't really get why they are mixing the same songs from Rock Band into GH3 or if it was the other way around and Rock Band announced them first, but I GH is doing better with a setlitst so far.

But we are still waiting on more Rock Band songs other than lame download content like Nirvana and The Who.
    yes i completely agree with you

Guitar Hero 3 does have an Impressive Setlist, they have some of my favorites! One, Number of the Beast, Raining Blood, Welcome to the Jungle! i just really hope Rockband Announces new tracks soon.

When will HMX release more info on rock band!? if its already " Almost Done"

Also i saw that HMX first Revealed Rockband With the song "Welcome To the Jungle" but wont use it in game??

it looked really good, why dont they play dirty like RO and Activision did and add it to the setlist, its a great song, even though its the main song in GH3, they took some of RB's songs.
  • RattleheadRattlehead Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    It was just a beta test video to show it off to the company and others, not for the community. I heard they did the same thing as a test with GH1 with some song that never made it into the final version.
  • edited August 2007
    "Suck My Kiss"---by the Peppers, that's a good one. I hope they change their minds about that new A.F.I song. Their older stuff would be a nice feature.
  • logicalnoiselogicalnoise Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Rattlehead;32189 said:
    It was just a beta test video to show it off to the company and others, not for the community. I heard they did the same thing as a test with GH1 with some song that never made it into the final version.
    any early early version of Guitar hero had a "pong" type interface and used weezer's dope nose as a test. As for what are they thinking. Well they are thinking that Rock band needs to gain a foothold before it starts putting on pressure as as for metallica EA already confirmed a lot of metallica is coming and most likely a full album download somethning RO will be hard pressed to keep up with. This fall GH3 is going to be the hardcore game for the fans and Rockband is going to be the new experience to draw even more people into the music/rhythm genre.
    edited August 2007
    i like how you said that and i hope its true :)
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Rock band will be the better game, GH3 will have the better setlist.
  • ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Eman311;32432 said:
    Rock band will be the better game, GH3 will have the better setlist.
    I don't know about that, It might just be my own taste in music but I personally don't really think Guitar Hero's is any better than Rock Band's at this point. But I'm going to save my final decision of which is better when both setlists are released in full.
  • edited August 2007
    ThePaska;32477 said:
    I don't know about that, It might just be my own taste in music but I personally don't really think Guitar Hero's is any better than Rock Band's at this point. But I'm going to save my final decision of which is better when both setlists are released in full.

As amazing as GH3s list is (Cherub Rock, Suck My Kiss, Sabotage, Paint it Black, etc.), every time I think "well this kinda blows roc..." I remember that Rock Band has Wont Get Fooled again and shut up.

And whoever said The Who is "lame DLC" needs to be shot.
  • dieseldiesel Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    the ONLY song on that list for GH3 thats worth playing is slowride.
  • ConsoleCoWBoYConsoleCoWBoY Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    I had heard that the gameplay was changed for GH3, in that you are forced to do hammer ons and pull offs at the times that the song says or that you'd miss the note! THAT'S what I thought this thread was going to discuss... =o
  • jlc510jlc510 Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    I think the current set list for Rock Band is less than impressive so far. I agree that Rock Band will be the better game, but so far GH has the better set list. GH1 is the only game so far that has a really good set list. GH2 and GH 80's had a lot of songs that just sucked. I think HMX needs to start going for the more radio mainstream songs for all genre's instead of using lesser known songs like Nirvana's In Bloom etc.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited August 2007
    I heartedly disagree with this statement.

Going radio-friendly is a very good way of destroying the appeal of the game. Most radio-friendly songs are not technical and very easy to play. On top of this, most bands have MUCH better songs on their albums than is ever released on the radio. Let's take a look at some examples, shall we?

Judas Priest:
    Radio Friendly - "You've Got Another Thing Comin'", "Breaking The Law"
    Album Cuts - "A Touch Of Evil", "Screaming For Vengeance", "Fever", "(Take These) Chains", "Diamonds And Rust"

In this case while the 2 radio friendly tracks are great tunes (I love both of them and would love to see them included) I would argue that any one of the Album cuts listed are MUCH better from a technical and musical standpoint. These are all songs that 90% of people do not know about, and that, in my opinion, is just wrong.

The Who:
    Radio Friendly - "I Can't Explain", "I Can See For Miles", "Magic Bus", "Baba O'Riley"
    Album Cuts - The whole "Quadrophenia" album, "I Don't Even Know Myself", "Guitar And Pen", "Eminence Front", "You Better You Bet", "The Quiet One", "Trick Of The Light"

Again, the radio friendly stuff is great, but the album cuts (and in this case, an entire album) are so much better.

I understand your point, however I can not agree with it because it would mean the exclusion of many GREAT tracks. These are tracks that would be perfect for the game and shouldn't be ignored because they're not "popular" (like that's ever been an indicator of musical quality).

The purpose of the game is not only to have fun but to also expand one's musical horizons and educate the player about the many forms music has taken over the years. Harmonix themselves have come out and said this in various interviews. I firmly believe that they are achieving this with a good balance in the setlist and future DLC announcements will continue this trend.
  • jlc510jlc510 Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    Yea I can see where you're comming from with that, I was thinking for every unpopular song by a particular band they put in, they should also put in something more mainstream by that same band (maybe use that as unlockable content). I remember GH2 had some pretty lame songs in the game, and when I'd play something by a bigger band that I liked and it was not a song I knew, it just made the song list feel that much more crappy. But by putting both unpopular and mainstream songs by an artist in the game, it will raise interest in the band that much more. Otherwise if I'm stuck playing a song that I have a bad attitude for, than it's going to lower the interest that I have in the game and possibly that particular artist.
    edited August 2007
    we also have to take in consideration that Rock Band Hasnt Released alot of info on the Setlist like Guitar Hero Has, maybe Rock Bands will be better? it is unsure..but by the songs ive seen..i only like about 4
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited August 2007
    About the whole mainstream songs being featured thing...

I'm completely for a setup for 50% songs I know well and 50% songs I don't know yet. The main setlists of Guitar Hero and GH2 were like this for me, as was 80s. I think GH3 is going in a great marketing direction and a very questionable quality direction. Rock Band seems to be sticking along with their prior GH 50/50 game setups.

For GH3, they're really just picking all of the hits for the most part. While it will be cool to play along to WTTJ, it would have been nice to play along to a different song by GNR that's not as overplayed. I'm glad No One Like You was in 80s instead of RYLAH (which is not surprisingly going to be in GH3) because it was great material that I hadn't heard before. I want to play songs I know in these games just as much as songs I don't know. You win when you get a balance of both - experience new songs and enjoy ones you already know. The setlist of GH3 so far is 90% songs I've heard too many times and 10% songs I don't know. Some people will like it, but I'm going to appreciate the balance of previous games much more.

So when people claim that GH3 has a better setlist, it's not just because it has more songs released at the moment, but because it has so many popular songs. People will love playing songs they know and love. I have a good feeling that replaying each song might get boring more quickly though if you've heard them so many times before. What GH3 setlist creators should not underestimate is that people also love playing songs they don't yet know and may learn to love.

I believe these games should be just as much about exploring music as experiencing music you already know and love. I think an imbalance either way could impact the true quality of the game. I have to wonder for some of the songs on GH3 if they even bothered to listen to more songs by the artists or just picked the mainstream song right away. I have a good feeling it's mostly the latter, unfortunately.
  • jlc510jlc510 Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    There were like 3 songs I didn't know in GH1 and like 5 or 6 I didn't like, so that's what I've grown to expect from these music games. Music gameing is still so new, you'd kind of want to see a whole lot of mainstream songs to pull in as large of an audience as possible. (Even bigger than who's currently into this type of game now) And once this genre has reached it's peak, than put in the better quality more fun to play songs and work on the balance. If you get a lot of songs that a new comer to this kind of game doesn't know, than you might loose that person's interest all together. If GH1 had a lame of a set list as GH2 and GH 80's the genre might not be where it's at today because most if not all of the 30 regular songs on that game were regular radio hits at one point in time or another which for me and a lot of other people made the game that much better.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited August 2007
    You are bang on Magnet.

I'm a burgeoning Iron Maiden fan, but I hadn't heard "Wrathchild" before. I loved learning to play it and still find it a challenge.

That's the bonus to having songs by big name artists that not everyone will know. You'll get a good quality song (More often than not) and you'll also get a challenge that will interest a great many people and keep them playing the game.

jlc510, you're right. If the setlist was different for GH we might not be here today. However, now that it has established itself and has a pretty dedicated fanbase it should be taking that extra step and providing something more in terms of the musical choices. Choose the more complex and fun songs rather than the standard greatest hits from artists. GH III most certainly isn't taking this route and neither is RB at the moment (To be fair, RB does need to build it's fanbase from scratch as it doesn't have the name recognition yet. As well, all the songs haven't been announced yet and DLC will undoubtedly add a lot of songs that may not be incredibly familiar to everyone)
  • edited August 2007
    Rock band will most likely have a better setlist if they can get Enter Sandman. I'm buying both, though.
  • illusion856illusion856 Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    MY question is wtf were they smoking when they decided to put AFI on the list for gh3? Especially that piece of trash song. I could have sworn when I looked at the wiki rock band list a few weeks ago it had "Down" by 311 on there. Did they take it off or was I just dreaming?
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Please don't joke like that, you got me all excited for a second.