Rock Band for the Wii officially announced!

bootaybootay Unsigned
edited February 2008 in Rock Band
http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=19370

During Electronic Arts's financial conference call with analysts following the release of their latest financial numbers, company execs officially revealed plans for a Wii port of the Harmonix developed music game Rock Band. The game will be released in the first quarter of EA's fiscal 2009 year which begins on April 1, 2008. No other info on the port was revealed.

Comments

• ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Good news for those Wii owners that have been holding out. I'm guessing it will be closer related to the PS2 version than the next generation ones. Maybe some online play.
  • silvam14silvam14 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    Good news for those who own the wii.

I'm just wondering, but I'll bet that the GHIII guitars will work for Wii Rockband
  • HPLabonteHPLabonte Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    silvam14;294504 said:
    Good news for those who own the wii.

I'm just wondering, but I'll bet that the GHIII guitars will work for Wii Rockband
    probably, because the Wiimote is plugged into the guitar,
  • raregamerraregamer Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    I doubt Guitar Hero 3 controller will work. Will see what they plan on though most likely soon. Although I rather my 360 version. Being the online play on Wii will suck.
  • GlassPrisonerGlassPrisoner Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    Excuse me if I'm beating a dead horse here, but would DLC work at all on the Wii? I'm happy with my 360 Rock Band.
  • KillbasaKillbasa Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    I can see it now... Little Mii's rocking out!
  • dfjdejuliodfjdejulio Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    raregamer;294586 said:
    I doubt Guitar Hero 3 controller will work. Will see what they plan on though most likely soon. Although I rather my 360 version. Being the online play on Wii will suck.
    Heh, we don't even know if the Wii version will have online play.

(Though, if it does, I may switch from XB360 to Wii, or at least get both versions. I know way more people on Wii than I do on XB360, and the game is all about playing with your friends, so...)
  • LZ_69LZ_69 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Finally Wii owners can rest easy!!

And shut the hell up about things like: "Wii want Rockband for Wii!!"
    edited February 2008
    GlassPrisoner;294589 said:
    Excuse me if I'm beating a dead horse here, but would DLC work at all on the Wii?
    Might, might not. They're making it work for GH3 on the Wii, no reason they couldn't make it work for RB.

But, they also haven't promised they would. We don't know anything about the Wii version. It might just be a recompile of the PS2 version, for all we know at this point. It'll surely have all the features of the PS2 versions, but we can't know which if any features it'll have beyond that -- the Wii is not that much more powerful than the PS2, under the hood. People need to be careful about getting their hopes up.
  • GlassPrisonerGlassPrisoner Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    dfjdejulio;294599 said:
    Might, might not. They're making it work for GH3 on the Wii, no reason they couldn't make it work for RB.
    Oh really? I don't know anybody with Guitar Hero Wii, can you tell me... are the DLC tracks stored on an SD card?
  • edited February 2008
    Will all the instruments be white?
  • GryffindorGryffindor Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    GlassPrisoner;294631 said:
    Oh really? I don't know anybody with Guitar Hero Wii, can you tell me... are the DLC tracks stored on an SD card?
    I have GH3 for the Wii. An announcement was leaked several months ago to the game sites that DLC was going to be made available through the Virtual Console for purchase. As of today nothing has been released.

I wasn't aware until recently that the Wii only had a flash drive, and a small one at that. Considering the size of the DLC songs most Wii owners would run out of space quickly.

Perhaps Nintendo is working on an external HD that could be plugged into one of the USB ports? They MUST be aware of the limitations due to the lack of space.

My guess on RB for the Wii would be as follows:
    Wireless Guitar (Wiimote would fit inside just like on GH3).
    The GH3 LP WILL work due to Nintendo's strict standards on controllers.
    Wireless DRUMS! Woo Hoo!!!!
    Online play just like we have for the PS3 & 360.
    I don't see any reason why customizable characters wouldn't work considering you can create your own Mii. In fact, Nintendo could force HMX to make the characters Miis. (That would be funny to see BTW).

The only true sticking point would be the DLC. If HMX came out with a disc that held all of the DLC up to the date of release that would be an easy temporary fix until Nintendo can figure out about the HD/FD issue. They could easily charge more due to the expanded content.

In all honesty, this should have been done much sooner as the Wii is a family oriented/party platform console that has outsold both the 360 and PS3 by large margins.

That being said, I will be sticking with my PS3 version even though the thought of compatible controllers and possibly wireless drums is very exciting.
  • lintballlintball Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    We own a Wii, and it is actually how we got started in rhythm games. In Nov 07, after playing a friend's GH2, I picked up GH3 Wii and we were HOOKED!. After reading up on the then-upcoming Rock Band, we got a 360 for Christmas...with Rock Band, GH2, GH3.

I have since sold the Wii GH3. It was good, but not as good as the 360/XBL experience. The Wii online play is limited. It will be hard to make the Wii RB online as seamless and fun as XBL.
    edited February 2008
    Gryffindor;294749 said:
    My guess on RB for the Wii would be as follows:
    Wireless Guitar (Wiimote would fit inside just like on GH3).
    The GH3 LP WILL work due to Nintendo's strict standards on controllers.
    Wireless DRUMS! Woo Hoo!!!!
    Online play just like we have for the PS3 & 360.
    I don't see any reason why customizable characters wouldn't work considering you can create your own Mii. In fact, Nintendo could force HMX to make the characters Miis. (That would be funny to see BTW).
    It might not be able to handle it. The PS2 cannot.

The problem isn't just storage or the ability to create the characters. The problem is, priority #1 is the gameplay. They insisted that even if you've got four people, all on Expert, all doing "Run to the Hills" (they've confirmed that this is the most taxing song), the system has to display at... I think they said it was 60 frames per second.

Now, with customizable characters, that means you have all of the note/vocal charts displaying on top of four different avatars that have to be animated and rendered in real-time. The PS2's processing was simply not up to the task. They could not squeeze enough power out of it.

The Wii is only something like 2 to 4 times as powerful as a PS2, under the hood. The PS3 and XB360 are more like 20-50 times as powerful.

Might the Wii be powerful enough to pull it off? Sure. But people have to be prepared for the possibility that it isn't, and have reasonable expectations. You can be sure the gameplay will be stunning and perfect, either way.
  • darknessmoondarknessmoon Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    dfjdejulio;295031 said:
    It might not be able to handle it. The PS2 cannot.

The problem isn't just storage or the ability to create the characters. The problem is, priority #1 is the gameplay. They insisted that even if you've got four people, all on Expert, all doing "Run to the Hills" (they've confirmed that this is the most taxing song), the system has to display at... I think they said it was 60 frames per second.

Now, with customizable characters, that means you have all of the note/vocal charts displaying on top of four different avatars that have to be animated and rendered in real-time. The PS2's processing was simply not up to the task. They could not squeeze enough power out of it.

The Wii is only something like 2 to 4 times as powerful as a PS2, under the hood. The PS3 and XB360 are more like 20-50 times as powerful.

Might the Wii be powerful enough to pull it off? Sure. But people have to be prepared for the possibility that it isn't, and have reasonable expectations. You can be sure the gameplay will be stunning and perfect, either way.
    I agree with you have stated here, especially seeing how many, many of the games from the Wii are also found on the PS2. Don't get me wrong people, I love the Wii (still waiting for smash bros, grrr!), but if the Wii can't handle all of the stuff that the xbox/ps3 RB package has to offer, and it becomes a simple port of the ps2 version, then this will only lead all of the "wii want rockband" threads to become "WTF! Rockband wii is teh suxxorz!" or something to that extent...

Here's to hoping all of the Wii owners desiring rockband get a good game coming their way...
  • rhythmtraveler1rhythmtraveler1 Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    As the title says, anyone heard any rumors I haven't found through GOOGLE??

I only have a Wii, and I've said it before..I can't afford to buy another system for 1 game. A guy a GameStop said he thinks they are waiting for the DLC to be worked out first.

I'm just wondering if any of you have read or heard anything new.

Thanks in advance

RT
  • TheBendsTheBends Banned
    edited February 2008
    So I have to buy Wii just so I can own rock band for every system it is available for.